DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

I don't think DC has what it takes to get people to care about their B-List heroes enough to pay money to see their films. Outside of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, I could see the rest of the solo DC flicks potentially being flops. especially Cyborg :lol:. I think a big part of the MCU's success is that they have a certain amount of playfulness and humor in all their films. it makes the mainstream audiences more willing to see the movies, even if it's about a character they've never heard of (i.e. Ant-Man, GOTG). DC's movies so far have been dark and super serious and if they keep that tone throughout their cinematic Universe then it's just gonna bore people to death.

Not everyone is going to be doing a dark and gritty films, Snyders doing just JL1 and JL2 and even Terrio (or someone) has said it'll be lighter but the rest are going to be different.

I also can't imagine other directors simply just going the same tone as MoS and BvS.

Plus I don't really see many of the JL members as B-listers, most members like Flash, GL, Aquaman and MM are A-list. And actually with the popularity of Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go, Cyborg is probably right there with the A-listers for DC too in the same vein that most of the JL members are real known from the animated series.

But James Wan, director of the forthcoming Aquaman, starring Jason Momoa, wants you to know that he's hoping to bring some fun to the table reef. At WonderCon in Los Angeles last weekend, Wan stressed to IGN that he's the kind of guy who prioritizes making "very fun" movies above all else, and even though he's working with a character who is the butt of a lot of jokes and vitriol, he wants to have a lot of fun with it. Which is great—you need a good sense of humor when making a movie that was the center of a long-running Entourage plotline.

http://www.gq.com/story/aquaman-batman-v-superman

Plus I don't really see many of the JL members as B-listers, most members like Flash, GL, Aquaman and MM are A-list. And actually with the popularity of Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go, Cyborg is probably right there with the A-listers for DC too in the same vein that most of the JL members are real known from the animated series.

I'm talkin from the mainstream audience's POV. to comicbook fans, sure GL, Flash and Aquaman are considered A-List DC heroes. But the mainstream audience dont give a **** about anyone outside on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

I think a big part of the MCU's success is that they have a certain amount of playfulness and humor in all their films. it makes the mainstream audiences more willing to see the movies, even if it's about a character they've never heard of (i.e. Ant-Man, GOTG). DC's movies so far have been dark and super serious and if they keep that tone throughout their cinematic Universe then it's just gonna bore people to death.

I agree with what you said, a couple other things come to play as well.

I mean, we all feel like we have a grasp with what the DCEU is going to look like but the first 2 films were made by the same guy. Suicide Squad, though it is about the villians, at least we see a more playful tone and more color in what seems to be a visually grimm film universe.

With Marvel, we want to see these movies because we know it's going to to intertwine, it'll all connected somehow. Another big thing with it, is casting. Yes people didn't know who the Guardians were and weren't acclimated with Ant-Man, but the casting decisions with the movies can be key to bring viewers in as well.

I'm talkin from the mainstream audience's POV. to comicbook fans, sure GL, Flash and Aquaman are considered A-List DC heroes. But the mainstream audience dont give a **** about anyone outside on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

Nah general audience sees those guys as A-list, again they've been in many animated series from Super Friends to JL series to countless cameo ins other shows and Aquaman was even popular to have his own cartoon way back then. A lot of people grew up watching these cartoons just like SpiderMan and XMen cartoons are huge part of the kids growing up in the 90s, a lot of those guys aren't comic book nerds.

They may not know or seen their origins story told countless of times but those characters are pretty well known.

Last edited:
The general audience does not see Aquaman as A-list :lol:

That movie will get seen or not based on the trailer.

He's an A-list just based on the jokes alone, come on now he is more popular than most just on how much people ridicule him :lol:

Also forgot that there was also a pretty good GL aniamted series that ran with Young Justice, I actually enjoyed that one a lot too.

Last edited:
WW is only other film I think DC will get over 500 as things stand right now..

superman, batman and JL obviously will

He's an A-list just based on the jokes alone, come on now he is more popular than most just on how much people ridicule him :lol:

Also forgot that there was also a pretty good GL aniamted series that ran with Young Justice, I actually enjoyed that one a lot too.

If somone in your work was notorious for being ridiculed and being the butt of every joke, you would not then refer to this person as "popular". :lol:

Also forgot that Flash is pretty much A-list now because of the tv show.

And another thing for Aquaman, if you're getting parodied by Family Guy and people gets it then I'd say he's pretty known. Again might be more infamous than actually famous but still up there as someone that the general audience knows.

I know ppl know who he is (cuz of jokes) but I don't see ppl saying oh we have to check out his movie the way they said we have to check out a Batman and/or Superman movie.

I mean if we're just talking about going to see the movie based off fans of the comics, tv shows, and cartoons over time I'd say Aquaman is near the bottom behind GL and Flash. I'd say only my beloved MM is lower and that's just due to nowhere near the same amount of chances and he's swapped out for Cyborg and he might be higher than Aquaman given his TT popularity.

I get saying he's A-list just cuz he's on JL but in relation to a general audience I don't see it as much

Last edited:
I actually think many are going to see it out of curiosity on how they're going to make him a bad*ss and stop from being the butt of all jokes.

But moving forward, he'd get a lot more exposure and probably be a bad*ss in JL the same way WW was presented in BvS and that will peak peoples interest.

Plus they got Momoa so all those will help factor in his popularity by the time his solo film comes out.

As of right now though, he's an A-list joke but an A-list nonetheless :rofl:

I don't think DC has what it takes to get people to care about their B-List heroes enough to pay money to see their films. Outside of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, I could see the rest of the solo DC flicks potentially being flops. especially Cyborg :lol:. I think a big part of the MCU's success is that they have a certain amount of playfulness and humor in all their films. it makes the mainstream audiences more willing to see the movies, even if it's about a character they've never heard of (i.e. Ant-Man, GOTG). DC's movies so far have been dark and super serious and if they keep that tone throughout their cinematic Universe then it's just gonna bore people to death.

Chances are Cyborg is going to flop hard.

Part of what helps the MCU though (And i've said this for a while now) is that they built up so much credibility. Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, First Avenger, then The Avengers. They had a string of films with some being better than others, but none of them were terrible/widely panned by critics. Basically, they waited a while, using some of the A-List characters they had before they started taking risks with stuff like GOTG and Ant-Man. There's no way that either would've been the success it was had they been the first films Marvel released.

I'd say that beyond just the Trinity for DC that Flash and GL are both seen as A-List though. Think below that you're talking about characters like Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, maybe Hawkman, etc.

Last edited:
Basically, they waited a while, using some of the A-List characters they had before they started taking risks with stuff like GOTG and Ant-Man.

Out of the Avengers, Hulk is like the only legit A-lister. IM, Thor, Cap and the rest were not A-list character before their movies became popular.

I agree that their slow build is the most effective but they definitely had to build those characters up to where they are at now.

Basically, they waited a while, using some of the A-List characters they had before they started taking risks with stuff like GOTG and Ant-Man.

Out of the Avengers, Hulk is like the only legit A-lister. IM, Thor, Cap and the rest were not A-list character before their movies became popular.

I agree that their slow build is the most effective but they definitely had to build those characters up to where they are at now.

You're bugging. All of those guys were well-known properties long before their films :lol:

I actually think many are going to see it out of curiosity on how they're going to make him a bad*ss and stop from being the butt of all jokes.

But moving forward, he'd get a lot more exposure and probably be a bad*ss in JL the same way WW was presented in BvS and that will peak peoples interest.

Plus they got Momoa so all those will help factor in his popularity by the time his solo film comes out.

As of right now though, he's an A-list joke but an A-list nonetheless :rofl:
Well yeah. I assume ppl seeing Aquaman is cuz of Momoa and Wan. Not cuz of Aquaman specifically but obviously that doesn't have the same kind of guarantee Batman, Superman or even Wonder Woman has.

I'm not saying they can't build interest though. What they're doing now is probably the most experimental with the character. Rebuilding Aquaman's brand for movies given how radically different it is everywhere else. So they got a shot to build some trust with the general audience if it's good and gets word of mouth.

Last edited:
Nah, known but nowhere as famous as Supes, Bats, Spidey, Hulk, etc... They were definitely a notch below. Their main exposure were in the comics, they didn't have animated series and films to introduce them to the general populace. Hell XMen characters were bigger than those guys.

Nah, known but nowhere as famous as Supes, Bats, Spidey, Hulk, etc... They were definitely a notch below. Their main exposure were in the comics, they didn't have animated series and films to introduce them to the general populace. Hell XMen characters were bigger than those guys.
It's a good comparison.

If anything I'd say Aquaman was in that same lower rung with Cap and Thor.

Back
Top Bottom