DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

...is this supposed to take place in the DC TV or movie verse?
The way I understand it, Supergirl exists within it's own universe within the larger DC cinematic multiverse the same way Gotham does and I assume Constantine did.

The CW shows exist in another shared universe that just happens to have more shows. So technically there is no tv verse.

Sounding like inception with something existing in something else. I do find it very cool that since Constantine was cancelled that he'll appear in one of the cw shows, I forgot which one.

...is this supposed to take place in the DC TV or movie verse?
The way I understand it, Supergirl exists within it's own universe within the larger DC cinematic multiverse the same way Gotham does and I assume Constantine did.

The CW shows exist in another shared universe that just happens to have more shows. So technically there is no tv verse.

Sounding like inception with something existing in something else. I do find it very cool that since Constantine was cancelled that he'll appear in one of the cw shows, I forgot which one.
Yeah with that I assume while it's the same guy playing Constantine and most likely in the same way none of the stuff he did on his show will be coming with him.

There was a sizeable push to get the show to the CW and it failed so instead they salvaged the character and actor. I think at this point dude would just be happy angling at getting a recurring role on that heroes of tomorrow show and cameos on Arrow and Flash when a magic based ep comes up.
Being a LBGT villain doesn't count or at least that's what I'm seeing from ppl in the community online on message boards.

The notion is simply the villain is the bad guy, sometimes outright evil, and they don't want to associate being LBGT with evil or bad acts. I get that but overall it just tells me we're simply not at that point where diversity in the antagonist is as important as diversity with the protagonist.

To start off it makes sense to focus on the good guys being LBGT. It wouldn't work with SS unless that villain would be making a face turn to anti-hero or full on good guy.

Plus from the rumors, it doesn't sound like WB is testing anything. Making one of their core JL members gay is a big move and it goes in line with being something Marvel hasn't even touched yet. 7-8 years in and the Avengers are mostly white with no signs of any LBGT characters. Around 4-5 years in to DC/WB movies they'll have their WW movie and the JL movie that'll possibly have 2 black heroes (don't forget Cyborg :lol: ) and a gay Flash.

Wow you're right. 
It's clearly one of the bigger advantages DC/WB has right now. I didn't totally agree with these ensemble movies first (B vs S and JL) and then solo flicks but they really don't want to copy Marvel's format. Either way they can still learn from what everybody else is doing right and wrong.

I feel Marvel had their chance to avoid this though. If Feige was willing to switch the OG lineup of Avengers he should added one more female and a person of color. They stuck with all white though. I understand playing it safe with the core group but it wouldn't have hurt to have added one more person in Avengers and from what I saw of the rumors, early art work and drafts of Whedon script had some version of the Wasp on the team. Now they'll probably be more even with DC/WB on that front.

The new push seems to be about diversity and when done right it's working out just as well as all the other countless successful movies with white straight leads that isn't working as much as before. The black Johnny Storm got talk, a black storm trooper got talk. So these execs are wising up to what audiences they have a chance of actually attracting now.

You don't make him gay for the sake of being gay though. That's my thing especially when the character has an established history.

After some more thought, I really don't give a **** mainly because I have been waiting for a Flash movie since before Barry Allen was even  re-established the Flash 
laugh.gif
I just want a good flick

Last edited:
You don't make him gay for the sake of being gay though. That's my thing especially when the character has an established history.
That's the thing though, while in the room where they make decisions they can make anybody gay or lesbian or use the character of color instead of the white guy just for the sake of it but in the room where they create the stories it'll all be handled pretty well for the most part.

So ppl on the outside will never have any standing to say they made so and so _____ just to make them _____.

If they're really going to go the gay route, the actor is the perfect guy

I don't mind the gay thing, I just hope they go the modern family route where all the gayness you see are the mannerisms and the quirks and the humor and nothing beyond that .

Last edited:
I guess he won't be using the speed force to clap the cheeks of his boo onscreen.

Last edited:
Plus from the rumors, it doesn't sound like WB is testing anything. Making one of their core JL members gay is a big move and it goes in line with being something Marvel hasn't even touched yet. 7-8 years in and the Avengers are mostly white with no signs of any LBGT characters. Around 4-5 years in to DC/WB movies they'll have their WW movie and the JL movie that'll possibly have 2 black heroes (don't forget Cyborg :lol:) and a gay Flash.
The source of the rumor that i posted said basically verbatim that they were in the process of literally testing the idea around the studios. it's not certain yet, it's just known in his circles that they're interested in capitalizing on the LGBT community

It's not a lock that it's gonna be Flash either, Umberto just said that's the name he's been hearing thrown around the most but he hasn't posted about it on his site because he thinks it'll be unfair to the LGBT community to open up the floodgates for complains and *****ing. Also, according to him Lord & Miller have handed in a treatment for the film that he's been trying to get details on so whenever that happens I'm sure they'll be more details.

this is random but a friend of mines read the recent Star Wars Aftermath lead-in to Force Awakes and told me there's a gay lead in it. The only time it's ever brought up in conversation another character just goes "oh" and they move on :lol: I hope a situation like that gets handled in films similarly someday

Last edited:
Were there ever any actual sourcing to those Hawkeye being gay rumors that came out a while ago or was that just internet hate lol?

Not sure if you recall but when the very first Star Wars EP VII casting details were released, most of them were white male leads and maybe one female.

Criticism lead to the changing of what we have now in EP VII.  
Also worth mentioning that the other actors that made it to the final screen tests with Boyega were all white guys. Wonder if his casting made them do any major rewrites

It's clearly one of the bigger advantages DC/WB has right now. I didn't totally agree with these ensemble movies first (B vs S and JL) and then solo flicks but they really don't want to copy Marvel's format. Either way they can still learn from what everybody else is doing right and wrong.

I feel Marvel had their chance to avoid this though. If Feige was willing to switch the OG lineup of Avengers he should added one more female and a person of color. They stuck with all white though. I understand playing it safe with the core group but it wouldn't have hurt to have added one more person in Avengers and from what I saw of the rumors, early art work and drafts of Whedon script had some version of the Wasp on the team. Now they'll probably be more even with DC/WB on that front.

The new push seems to be about diversity and when done right it's working out just as well as all the other countless successful movies with white straight leads that isn't working as much as before. The black Johnny Storm got talk, a black storm trooper got talk. So these execs are wising up to what audiences they have a chance of actually attracting now.

Not sure if you recall but when the very first Star Wars EP VII casting details were released, most of them were white male leads and maybe one female.

Criticism lead to the changing of what we have now in EP VII.  
I definitely wasn't paying much attention to the early SW stuff. I'm still not following every detail actually. With my focus on this and Marvel and other comic book movie adaptions I let myself take a break on other stuff.

Didn't know that but overall I guess that goes to my point about the diversity push even if it has to happen after some negative feedback. I'm actually not all that surprised about that given Abrams is running the show.

Right now the flash movie is the only movie I look fwd to in the entire cu except SS and GLs. Don't mind him being gay at all. But I can understand why hardcover fans would want a true to the original adaptation. But does him being gay or straight make a difference as long as the personality is intact (i.e. not a flamboyant dude who calls attention to his sexually every two seconds)

Last edited:
The face was done well. Just as good as Vision but everything else I don't get.

Why'd they use that material for the body? Such a weird choice.
looks like the same material the super girl suit is made out of

maybe tv shows are only allowed to use one material for all costumes, like how arrow dresses everyone up in leather 

The material reminds me of that glittering sandpaper type effect.

It looks worse than Supergirl's costume and not much like the same material to me.

Right now the flash movie is the only movie I look fwd to in the entire cu except SS and GLs. Don't mind him being gay at all. But I can understand why hardcover fans would want a true to the original adaptation. But does him being gay or straight make a difference as long as the personality is intact (i.e. not a flamboyant dude who calls attention to his sexually every two seconds)

That's not usually what happens in all honesty. Take Wally West for example. They made him African American in the New 52 comics and along with that they made him a troubled kid who takes part in vandalism. Had his father abandon him and his mom, and made his mom disappear during a supervillain incident. So now he stays with his aunt, again taking part in said vandalism and being arrested by the police, and needs good old saint Barry to swoop in and be his father-figure. Many saw this as DC butchering a fan-favorite character, who had held his own comic book for years after Barry Allen died and arguably done a better job than Barry, and basically making him the same person in name only and making him African American for the sake of diversity purposes. (The fact that DC had already tossed the character aside and subsequently ignored him beforehand when Barry returned to life also didn't help matters)

Though i'm still looking forward to any movie or cartoon with the Flash, as he's one of my top 3 DC heroes.

That's not usually what happens in all honesty. Take Wally West for example. They made him African American in the New 52 comics and along with that they made him a troubled kid who takes part in vandalism. Had his father abandon him and his mom, and made his mom disappear during a supervillain incident. So now he stays with his aunt, again taking part in said vandalism and being arrested by the police, and needs good old saint Barry to swoop in and be his father-figure. Many saw this as DC butchering a fan-favorite character, who had held his own comic book for years after Barry Allen died and arguably done a better job than Barry, and basically making him the same person in name only and making him African American for the sake of diversity purposes. (The fact that DC had already tossed the character aside and subsequently ignored him beforehand when Barry returned to life also didn't help matters)

Though i'm still looking forward to any movie or cartoon with the Flash, as he's one of my top 3 DC heroes.
i hated the change as well with wally but thats because i grew up with him as the flash so i never cared for barry as much 

Still looking forward to Flash, but i'm saying, we've never even had one, I don't want them Trank it up already.

Damn that sounds like it really sucks.

Filled with stereotypical black ppl cliches. I usually don't agree with it at all but I understand how some of Marvel editorial feels it's better to get a woman to write certain female titles, a black person to write certain black characters, a Latino to write a Latino character, a Muslim to write a muslim character, etc. It usually avoids these cringeworthy pitfalls and brings way more authenticity than these white guys that can't ever get that specific perspective.

On a side note, I feel that overall change with the New 52 was so arbitrary and based off favoritism for the main writers guiding things. If you gonna start over make Jay Garrick the Flash, the OG especially coming off a few decades with Wally as Flash after Barry died. Same for GL, should've been Alan Scott getting that new start but guys like Geoff have their favorites so the golden age dudes get shoved off in to Earth 2.

Last edited:

Damn that sounds like it really sucks.

Filled with stereotypical black ppl cliches. I usually don't agree with it at all but I understand how some of Marvel editorial feels it's better to get a woman to write certain female titles, a black person to write certain black characters, a Latino to write a Latino character, a Muslim to write a muslim character, etc. It usually avoids these cringeworthy pitfalls and brings way more authenticity than these white guys that can't ever get that specific perspective.

On a side note, I feel that overall change with the New 52 was so arbitrary and based off favoritism for the main writers guiding things. If you gonna start over make Jay Garrick the Flash, the OG especially coming off a few decades with Wally as Flash after Barry died. Same for GL, should've been Alan Scott getting that new start but guys like Geoff have their favorites so the golden age dudes get shoved off in to Earth 2.

Yes to both.

And understand, I like Geoff Johns work on Green Lantern. The entire mega-arc he did was great, and the only reason I don't have it all collected right now is because DC is re-releasing some of it at least in the omnibus format, which I prefer over regular trades. Hal Jordan's my favorite Green Lantern, so I have zero issue with him receiving spotlight. But I don't necessarily think John's gave Kyle Rayner his due. And as you say, if you're going to start over with a reboot, don't half *** it. That's pretty much my biggest problem with the New 52. They talked about wanting to make things more accessible to new readers and start fresh, but neither Batman or Green Lantern really did. Flash is some of the same, keeping Barry Allen around and continuing to act like numerous other people haven't held the title and done well with it. Jay Garrick especially has never once gotten the amount of focus that the others have, only being featured in team books like JSA for the longest time now.

Though really, I didn't like how they changed things and threw all the Golden Age characters back to Earth 2, but in the same book, instead of giving them their own books. I can get that you only want a certain amount of comics at a time, but Jay and Alan at least deserve the chance to have their own titles. I'd in fact probably be more interested if there was a title featuring Barry and then another featuring Jay, just like Batman has Bruce, ****, Jason and his team, etc. That way you can follow whichever character you prefer and tell different stories, but still have overlap to connect everything together now and again.

Remember the rumors of Michael Keaton playing The Joker?

That would have been cool

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom