DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

The Justice League episode's A Better World parts 1&2 portrayed supes as a pretty brutal dictator along with the rest of the justice league.

I think in an alternate world where everyone is powered down, like you suggest, time travel would be the first thing to go

Idk about that. Marvel has some characters that time travel without being ridiculously powerful. Magik for one. Quicksilver can go back and forth in time a few weeks and flash would run circles around him

I don't know **** bout Superman, so pardon my question. But does he have one character flaw?  Like has he ever SuperSlapped Lois or something?

I don't know **** bout Superman, so pardon my question. But does he have one character flaw?  Like has he ever SuperSlapped Lois or something?
Depends on the writer. In some recent things he's been portrayed as kind of arrogant. But nothing major

I think in an alternate world where everyone is powered down, like you suggest, time travel would be the first thing to go

Idk about that. Marvel has some characters that time travel without being ridiculously powerful. Magik for one. Quicksilver can go back and forth in time a few weeks and flash would run circles around him
Quicksilver hasn't had the power since Son of M.

It's still a ridiculously overpowered ability for Magik, writers just tend to ignore it or use it for things that don't deal with saving the day.

In a more grounded powered down universe time travel shouldn't be anything one character should control and/or it should have some specific clear rules about it.

It wasn't seen or written as a flaw originally but Golden age Superman is an arrogant pompous prick prone to child like fits, in a 30s-50s sort of way. The stuff he did in those comics can be seen as terrorist like if they weren't all put in such a silly light.

Destroying all cars, car factories, etc. cuz a friend died in a car accident, damaging the economy in the process. Then kidnaps the mayor, forcing him to pass laws that'll have harsher punishments on breaking traffic laws. Then there's that time he tortured Jimmy Olsen and Aquaman by having them do a contest where he deprived them of water. Also that time Supes single handedly gentrified the poorest areas in Metropolis by burning them all down so he could get rid of crime all at once and replacing it with improved neighborhoods.

:lol: There's more like that.

You take golden age Supes' personality and approach to being a hero and Silver Age Superman's powers and you got a Superman I'd probably be a fan of :lol:

Last edited:
It wasn't seen or written as a flaw originally but Golden age Superman is an arrogant pompous prick prone to child like fits, in a 30s-50s sort of way. The stuff he did in those comics can be seen as terrorist like if they weren't all put in such a silly light.

Destroying all cars, car factories, etc. cuz a friend died in a car accident, damaging the economy in the process. Then kidnaps the mayor, forcing him to pass laws that'll have harsher punishments on breaking traffic laws. Then there's that time he tortured Jimmy Olsen and Aquaman by having them do a contest where he deprived them of water. Also that time Supes single handedly gentrified the poorest areas in Metropolis by burning them all down so he could get rid of crime all at once and replacing it with improved neighborhoods.

laugh.gif
There's more like that.

You take golden age Supes' personality and approach to being a hero and and Silver Age Superman's powers and you got a Superman I'd probably be a fan of
laugh.gif
Making him arrogant/overconfident and depowering him a bit seems like the best thing to do. I mean Cap has the same problem somewhat, but at least he murked a bunch of people so there's that, and he has the whole man out of time thing and Bucky going for him so there's that.

Last edited:
The thing about Cap is that while he may be a goody two shoes like Superman, he's not very powered. So he has the underdog thing going for him.

But if the character is a boy scout and also ridiculously OP. Well, that's just not very fun.

Last edited:
^

:lol: of course I did.

If you're talking about just the comic book fan base then yeah people loved bats. The general public (at least people I grew up around) thought batman was buns.

Don't discredit me . I'm just telling you what people felt, at least around my area : lol.

I can live with that if it's based on where you're from :lol:.

A character with as many incarnations on film/tv as batman (probably only rivaled by spiderman in number) isn't hated at all. There are plenty of folks who never picked up a comic and love the character just off BTAS......ijs.

Bingo. Batman the Animated Series really cannot be praised enough for aptly introducing the character to the masses in an appealing manner. And that doesn't even include the fact that the first two Batman films were insanely successful, with things starting to fall off slightly with Forever, and then Batman and Robin was widely panned as trash. :smh: Even then, the character was still popular enough to get other television series made about him.

^
Did you guys ever watch the old Justice League cartoons?

Superman had some dope villians. Brainiac and Darkseid were on point.

Loved the show, wouldn't have picked Brainiac as one of the good villains. Though in all honesty, i've never really liked Brainiac that much. Darkseid on the other hand is beyond reproach. :pimp: Son makes Superman look like a ***** on a regular basis. Their final fight in Superman the Animated Series is one of the greatest of all time.

The thing about Cap is that while he may be a goody two shoes like Superman, he's not very powered. So he has the underdog thing going for him.

But if the character is a boy scout and also ridiculously OP. Well, that's just not very fun.

Both of them are honestly just terrible in the long run, but i'd still rather read about Superman over Captain America any day. Is he powerful? Yeah. Does he come off as perfect sometimes? Yes. Can he be stale as a piece of bread that's been left out in the sun for three days? Sure. But he's still got some genuinely good story arcs and a solid cast of villains. I think Superman the Animated Series is an easy way to see that. Darkseid, Parasite, Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Mr. Mxyzptlk, etc. Best Captain America has is the Red Skull and Baron Zemo. You've then got stories like Red Son (What if Superman landed in the Soviet Union), The Death of Superman featuring Doomsday, Reign of the Superman which properly shows how good the character's supporting cast can be, even when he's dead for like half of it, and All Star Superman (In which he's more powerful than he's been since like the 80's, but still shows you the absolute best aspects of being a superhero) and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

Superman Vs. The Elite deconstructed and then RECONSTRUCTED Superman in a manner that made me totally believe in the character
pimp.gif

Was a total slap in the face to the people like the dudes in here who want superheroes to be lol killaz

Last edited:
Superman Vs. The Elite deconstructed and then RECONSTRUCTED Superman in a manner that made me totally believe in the character :pimp:  

Was a total slap in the face to the people like the dudes in here who want superheroes to be lol killaz
I found that animated movie to be rather weak in comparison to other DC animated movies.

Plus it felt like it was rehashing old ground from Waid's Kingdom Come with a different plot.

That whole thing just basically came down to don't get Superman mad cuz he can pretend to be a badass too when dealing with posers. It was so on the nose that them other dudes were British. The OG posers when it comes to that punk rock scene stuff.

Mxyzptlk? How do you even pronounce that **** :lol: with how Batman blew up because of Frank Miller, the movies, and the TV show I wonder why Marvel didn't do that with daredevil whose popularity increased when miller was writing for him.

Oh **** that was obnoxiously funny :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When son mentioned dude's shoes :lol:

Son went out of his way to nitpick and hate :lol: :lol: Gotta love/hate the internet for stuff like this :rofl: Going in for no reason :lol: Talking about glueing bus tickets to his pants.

Last edited:
Dude does a lot of public pitching to try and get fans on his side it seems.

My guess he made these pitches to WB, FOX, Sony, Marvel, etc. at some point and they rejected his ideas or only paid him for his 1st draft and then let other writers revise it if they were planning on actually making the movie.

While I like some of his stuff and appreciate his ideas, I'm kind of tired of Max Landis. Especially his little Twitter rant about "original ideas" just because people didn't go see American Ultra. That said, his idea for a Man of Steel 2 isn't half bad.

I just think I would have been happy to see a regular Man of Steel sequel without Batman and without setting up the JL movie. I get they want/need to compete with the shared universe of Marvel and all that, but like they said in the video, I would have liked to see a true Superman sequel and then  the teamup/fight with Batman.

:lol: Honestly at this point I don't even read/listen to his give-me-some-attention pitches for franchises he's barely involved in. Once I see the title, it just lets me know he pitched it to them and they rejected it or they didn't even bother contacting him.

Once you hear his pitch, it's like okay it's either good or bad but there's nothing that can be done with it after. If he was smart he'd retool all of those pitches and pitch original movies. If he wanted to see them in reality to some degree he could put his money where his mouth is, pony up the money and do a short film like dude who did that rated R Power Rangers joint or even turn them in to his own original comics. If successful, in an alternate way he could get them made in to movies but to me it seems he just wants attention and reaffirmation that his ideas are good/he's a good writer.

DC is apparently toying with the idea of Erza's Flash being gay

Umberto said on periscope their "plan" is to have a more diverse CU than Marvel and they're interested in targeting the LGBT community.

Back
Top Bottom