da "Sneaker bubble" apparently is bursting...

Absolutely. I can't say EVERYONE is like that. But most who "grow out" of sneakers? Yes. For the people I know, there is no growing out of it. We were raised in this, so it's part of who we are. Sounds corny but it's true, IMO.

Like how do you outgrow things you have to put on your feet that people of all ages wear? It isn't like they're Heelys or the light up L.A. Gear joints. Outgrowing those is expected. And changing styles is also expected--I don't wear J's anymore despite still loving them. But to just say "I don't like sneakers anymore"? How Sway? Did you lose both your feet? Everyone wears sneakers of some sort, so if you "outgrow" them altogether, you were never truly entrenched in the culture to begin with, IMO.

Like all these cornball YouTube videos you see of 13 year olds doing on-feet and fit of the day vids. They're not doing it because they genuinely love the sneakers. They're doing it because that's what you do nowadays. It's a passing fad for them. And again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

I don't think it's necessarily growing out of it, it's more so priorities change.

I still like sneakers and somewhat keep up with what is coming out, they just aren't a priority for me anymore. I work 5-6 days a week so I rarely get to even wear them. I find myself preferring to spend my disposable income on vacations or doing things I can actually enjoy rather than dropping $190 plus on sneakers I'll rarely get to wear.

On another note, my teenage son picked the habit up. I got him the 13's for back to school and when I was paying for them the thought crept in my mind that I used to spend quite a bit buying multiple pairs of sneakers a month and how I wish I spent that $ a little better when I was younger.

Haven't read this thread but if any of you guys could've called footlocker going to the ground, and taking in the stock market you could've made like 10x profits shorting it, lol

I still prefer buying sneakers in person just because i need to try them on, i'm like a different shoe size for so many different sneakers

I remember when malls had 2 foot lockers

This, when I was stationed in Jacksonville, Regency Square Mall had the World Footlocker and a regular one, and when I was in Charleston, Northwoods had two if I can remember. I want to say that they did, like a nice Footlocker, and like a smaller Footlocker or something like that

Last edited:
I still prefer buying sneakers in person just because i need to try them on, i'm like a different shoe size for so many different sneakers

I feel you on that, which is why I appreciate retros starting to sit at stores. That means I can go into a store and "try" a pair of a shoe I want.........instead of hoping and praying they have "my size" online or in-store for a limited release.

I remember when the "Air Force 1 hype bubble" began to burst in the middle 2000s, and I was honestly shocked I was able to walk into a Foot Locker for the first time and try on a pair of AF1s fairly easily without worrying that it was a limited pair (it was a white-on-white AF1 mid to be specific, and that was the most popular colorway......it still is TBH).

it was a white-on-white AF1 mid to be specific

84085-seinfeld-shudder-cringe-gif-im-zgoa.gif

Man, it's such a hassle to buy certain releases. I've missed out on the Black/Red 1s so many times that I don't even want them anymore :lol:

Absolutely. I can't say EVERYONE is like that. But most who "grow out" of sneakers? Yes. For the people I know, there is no growing out of it. We were raised in this, so it's part of who we are. Sounds corny but it's true, IMO.

Like how do you outgrow things you have to put on your feet that people of all ages wear? It isn't like they're Heelys or the light up L.A. Gear joints. Outgrowing those is expected. And changing styles is also expected--I don't wear J's anymore despite still loving them. But to just say "I don't like sneakers anymore"? How Sway? Did you lose both your feet? Everyone wears sneakers of some sort, so if you "outgrow" them altogether, you were never truly entrenched in the culture to begin with, IMO.

Like all these cornball YouTube videos you see of 13 year olds doing on-feet and fit of the day vids. They're not doing it because they genuinely love the sneakers. They're doing it because that's what you do nowadays. It's a passing fad for them. And again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.
Priorities b. U get a family and sometimes the disposable income that used to go to sneakers go to more important things. I was passed down the lifestyle from my pops, out the womb my first pair was Js. Still like sneakers, more so high end joints but I only cop a fee pair a year. Rather buy my jr something or travel or something. I got so many better things to do with 200 bucks than to buy a sneaker I had before that was designed in the 90s.

I stopped checking for nikes when I peeped the prices creeping up , I can just add some money to it and buy some designer ****

And me personally I got too many sneakers, I don't even need to buy new ones n I still got a ton to wear whenever I want

Which designers? SLPs and Guccis still a lot higher than $200-250

I stopped checking for nikes when I peeped the prices creeping up , I can just add some money to it and buy some designer ****

And me personally I got too many sneakers, I don't even need to buy new ones n I still got a ton to wear whenever I want

Nike has a monopoly off of the Air Force 1 alone. Those who truly suggest that the sneaker bubble is dying are the ones who got on board when there was a "sneaker bubble". The social media generation just lived through one retro cycle and now they're seeing sneakers releasing again and have the "been there done that" mentality that those before them had. It's all cyclical.

Lol naw I was saying u can start with the 250 n put em towards some designer **** ...when I was coming up any nikes over 150 was crazy n we called fomaposites dope dealers cuz u had to pay 200 for em

Any nikes that start with 2 I'm not even considering , zooming straight past that to the designer level

In the last 6 years, we saw many younger pplz hop on the Jordan train. Nike/jb boomed and this sneaker bubble was created. Demand was never higher. Prices skyrocketed and scalpers took advantage. Jordans were back in the spotlight. The younger pplz payed the scalpers because...Fashion.

Now those younger pplz have gotten off.

For us older guys, we didn't just get into this. It just happened. Growing up MJ was theeee man. Buying the merchandise coincided with the times. And now we share nostaglia from those times. The younger pplz never really had a connection with this stuff. We do, so we stay. It was never a bubble for us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom