COMMON SPORTS MISCONCEPTIONS

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

I'm not a celtics fan but I bet you guys didn't lose faith in the nba in the 2002 wcf when the lakers played the kings where the refs were 3x as bad.

Common sports misconception: that the Kings got jobbed in the 2002 WCFs.

The refereeing was horrible both ways. That's the difference between that series and the 2006 and 2008 Finals.
oooookay
grin.gif

may have been bad both ways but it sure was worse for the kings when it mattered. wasn't the ref who got arrested also doing that game?

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

For me, it drives me nuts when people make comments like "I hate the Yankees...because they buy their championships." To me, the Yankees "buying" their championships is one of the biggest fallacies in all of sports.

So NT, are there any of these that come to mind for you?
It's apparent that you are missing the point of what people are saying. When the Yankees win titles, their payroll is astronimically larger than the rest of the league. In a way though if you have the money, why not spend it? It's crazy how much money in payroll the Yanks have dropped since last winning a World Series.

2001 - $113 Million (Lost World Series)
2002 - $126 Million
2003 - $153 Million (Lost World Series)
2004 - $185 Million
2005 - $209 Million
2006 - $195 Million
2007- $218 Million
2008- $209 Million
2009 - $201 Million

Total spent since winning last World Series (2000) $1,609,000,000
eek.gif

I see what you are saying, but I have a slightly differing opinion. So IMO, buying a championship implies that the team spent a ton of money to bring in free agents which ultimately lead to winning the World Series. If you look at the championship Yankee teams of the past, an overwhelming majority of the players were home grown players. Sure they are signed to large extensions. But up until the point where the Yankees stopped winning World Series, they were NOT bringing in a ton of huge salary free agents. They havent won for a while, so they then started bringing in top level free agents.

To say the Yankees have bought ANY of their WS titles, is just wrong....yet so many people hate the Yankees because they "buy their Championships."
very true, that however would change this year. Look at their starters.
C-Posada-home grown
1B- Teixiera-massive contract
2B- Cano-home grown
SS- Jeter-home grown
3B- A-Roid-massive contract
OF- Damon-massive contract
OF- Swisher-smart, reasonable FA signing
OF- Cabrera-home grown

SP1-Sabathia- massive contract
SP2-Burnett- massive contract
SP3-Pettite- home grown, but re-signed on a massive contract
SP4-Joba-home grown

CL-Mo-home grown

Yes, the Yankees have their fair share of home grown players, but the advantage they have is they surround them with highly paid free agents that most teamscould only afford one of. I think the Yankees have 6 or 7 players that are more highly paid than the highest paid player on the second highest payrolled team.They aren't doing anything wrong, but to say the Yankees aren't trying to buy a championship is ludicrous.

^I never said the Yankees are TRYING to buy a championship. I was just saying they havent ever done so. Yes, after this year things will have changeddrastically. But up until this point, I have yet to hear any proof behind the claim that the Yankees buy their Championships. Bottom line...they havent.

the yankees team, as presently constituted has a grand total of 5/25 players acquired via free agency ("bought") 3 of which were offered more orequal money from other teams and a payroll less than that of the last two years, just saying

look no yankees fan should be defending them. they do "buy" championships. who cares though? its not like they are breaking the rules. they just havean owner who doesnt care about money and will do whatever he thinks it takes to win. no need to defend that

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

look no yankees fan should be defending them. they do "buy" championships. who cares though? its not like they are breaking the rules. they just have an owner who doesnt care about money and will do whatever he thinks it takes to win. no need to defend that

Perfect example of a "common sports misconception." Show me a championship that they have bought. PLease. I'll wait.

(Yes I agree its not breaking rules. Yes I know they have an owner that will do whatever it takes)

look no yankees fan should be defending them. they do "buy" championships. who cares though? its not like they are breaking the rules. they just have an owner who doesnt care about money and will do whatever he thinks it takes to win. no need to defend that

Perfect example of a "common sports misconception." Show me a championship that they have bought. PLease. I'll wait.

(Yes I agree its not breaking rules. Yes I know they have an owner that will do whatever it takes)

you know what that means dude. they contend every year because they pay a ton of money to good players. someone already posted a nice payroll list for youanyway.

Originally Posted by icandunkonu

the yankees team, as presently constituted has a grand total of 5/25 players acquired via free agency ("bought") 3 of which were offered more or equal money from other teams and a payroll less than that of the last two years, just saying

Um, idk what 2 you are talking about, because no one considered offering Jeter, A-Roid, Damon, Sabathia or Burnett anywhere near what the Yankees did. And itsnot just that they bought them, they have 5 or 6 of the 10 highest paid players in the game.

They bought the 1977 & 1978 World Series, which gave birth to the statement. Free agency didn't start until 1976. Before that whateverteam brought you up, you stayed with your entire career, unless traded. The Yanks just new how to lock up talent.

Yanks may not buy chips but what they do buy is being in the mix at the end....which is all most teams ask for. We know once the playoffs start its thenusually a crapshoot of who is hot, injury-free, etc.

The Yankees have the luxury of seemingly every year bringing in 1-3 new big time FA's to absurd contracts to fill in spots they need. They also litterallydestroy most of MLB in payroll. And it's not one year, it's every year. And it's every team's fan base also knowing their up and coming starshave their agents phone lines pointed right to the NY offices to direct his client's price. Yanks control so many things with their pockets that yes, theydo buy their success. I agree they do not buy actual rings though for reasons mentioned above.

And here again let me say I do not blame the team one bit. Its the system.

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

For me, it drives me nuts when people make comments like "I hate the Yankees...because they buy their championships." To me, the Yankees "buying" their championships is one of the biggest fallacies in all of sports.

So NT, are there any of these that come to mind for you?
It's apparent that you are missing the point of what people are saying. When the Yankees win titles, their payroll is astronimically larger than the rest of the league. In a way though if you have the money, why not spend it? It's crazy how much money in payroll the Yanks have dropped since last winning a World Series.

2001 - $113 Million (Lost World Series)
2002 - $126 Million
2003 - $153 Million (Lost World Series)
2004 - $185 Million
2005 - $209 Million
2006 - $195 Million
2007- $218 Million
2008- $209 Million
2009 - $201 Million

Total spent since winning last World Series (2000) $1,609,000,000
eek.gif

I see what you are saying, but I have a slightly differing opinion. So IMO, buying a championship implies that the team spent a ton of money to bring in free agents which ultimately lead to winning the World Series. If you look at the championship Yankee teams of the past, an overwhelming majority of the players were home grown players. Sure they are signed to large extensions. But up until the point where the Yankees stopped winning World Series, they were NOT bringing in a ton of huge salary free agents. They havent won for a while, so they then started bringing in top level free agents.

To say the Yankees have bought ANY of their WS titles, is just wrong....yet so many people hate the Yankees because they "buy their Championships."
very true, that however would change this year. Look at their starters.
C-Posada-home grown
1B- Teixiera-massive contract
2B- Cano-home grown
SS- Jeter-home grown
3B- A-Roid-massive contract
OF- Damon-massive contract
OF- Swisher-smart, reasonable FA signing
OF- Cabrera-home grown

SP1-Sabathia- massive contract
SP2-Burnett- massive contract
SP3-Pettite- home grown, but re-signed on a massive contract
SP4-Joba-home grown

CL-Mo-home grown

Yes, the Yankees have their fair share of home grown players, but the advantage they have is they surround them with highly paid free agents that most teams could only afford one of. I think the Yankees have 6 or 7 players that are more highly paid than the highest paid player on the second highest payrolled team. They aren't doing anything wrong, but to say the Yankees aren't trying to buy a championship is ludicrous.
A-Rod and Swisher was traded for and Pettitte did not get a massive contract.

Other teams can spend the money, they just chose not too.

Originally Posted by philly5fan

Dalls fans are actual fans ( 90% of Dallas fans are bandwagon fans)

Agreed. It always cracks me up when you see people with sigs that include the Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls and Yankees. Even though you may have stuck with these teams for a long time, doesnt negate the fact that you jumped on these bandwagons in the 90s. Just funny to me.
ohwell.gif

Some people don't know the definition of bandwagon. How could you have "jumped on a bandwagon" and have "stuck with a team for a longtime".

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

The Spurs are boring
indifferent.gif

This. If you like basketball you can enjoy a spurs game

True, they play very good basketball and I do enjoy them play, but for some reason I just hate to see them succeed.

A few i have (basketball related)

-Lebron James is better than Kobe Bryant

-Isiah Thomas is better than John Stockton

-Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all-time

-Penny Hardaway is a top-50 player of all-time

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by philly5fan

Dalls fans are actual fans ( 90% of Dallas fans are bandwagon fans)

Agreed. It always cracks me up when you see people with sigs that include the Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls and Yankees. Even though you may have stuck with these teams for a long time, doesnt negate the fact that you jumped on these bandwagons in the 90s. Just funny to me.
ohwell.gif

Some people don't know the definition of bandwagon. How could you have "jumped on a bandwagon" and have "stuck with a team for a long time".

Thats clearly YOU because you have no idea what you are talking about champ. Are you insinuating that if someone hopped on the Cowboys and Bulls bandwagons inthe 90s, and have stayed loyal to these team to this day, that negates the fact that they jumped on those bandwagons? So if I was to tell you that all of asudden I am a now Steelers, Phillies, Lakers and Penguins fan, and remain fans of these teams for the rest of my life, that I DIDNT hop on bandwagons?
laugh.gif
Dont talk down to someone when you are the one who has no clue what you are talking about.

^ You're describing two different situations. Yes, it would look bad if someone our age were to change teams. Thing is, most people who areCowboys/Bulls fans chose (for those that didn't inherit/choose to not follow the family) their teams between the ages of 8-12. What kid would know theconcept of bandwagoning? I'm sure if you care to check, all the decade teams have large fan bases out-of-area that would coincide with them being 8-12 atthe time of the teams' prominence.

Teens-Pats
20's-Cowboys
30's-Packers, 49ers
40's-Steelers, Raiders

Don't talk down to someone when its YOU have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom