COMMON SPORTS MISCONCEPTIONS

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by philly5fan

Dalls fans are actual fans ( 90% of Dallas fans are bandwagon fans)

Agreed. It always cracks me up when you see people with sigs that include the Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls and Yankees. Even though you may have stuck with these teams for a long time, doesnt negate the fact that you jumped on these bandwagons in the 90s. Just funny to me.

Originally Posted by Marv Machamp

Originally Posted by Troponin C

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by Troponin C

that raider fans are actually fans of the team itself.
cuz raider fans are hardcore niner fans?
No, because 90 % of raider fans only like the team because of their uniform.

indifferent.gif

Child please! That's exactly why I hate 9ers fans.

Poor kid is the biggest clown in ST

Ben Gordon should be a starter.

Oh yeah and people that seriously believe Kobe is better than Michael Jordan, or saying Kobe is the greatest player of all time.

Personally don't think he's the greatest Laker yet.
nerd.gif

that a team can be "distracted" by something a single player is involved in

that 40 times have an impact on a player's success once they're drafted

wunderlich test results determining whether or not someone can play QB in the league

that David West is/was an all star

that Kevin Durant is better than Carmelo Anthony

For me, it drives me nuts when people make comments like "I hate the Yankees...because they buy their championships." To me, the Yankees "buying" their championships is one of the biggest fallacies in all of sports.

So NT, are there any of these that come to mind for you?
It's apparent that you are missing the point of what people are saying. When the Yankees win titles, their payroll is astronimically largerthan the rest of the league. In a way though if you have the money, why not spend it? It's crazy how much money in payroll the Yanks have dropped sincelast winning a World Series.

2001 - $113 Million (Lost World Series)
2002 - $126 Million
2003 - $153 Million (Lost World Series)
2004 - $185 Million
2005 - $209 Million
2006 - $195 Million
2007- $218 Million
2008- $209 Million
2009 - $201 Million

Total spent since winning last World Series (2000) $1,609,000,000
eek.gif

^ shaq ain't my cup of tea but he was able to carry teams or did you mean present era shaq?

oh and that billion and a half the yankees spent on players, i wonder what their revenue was all those years combined. Then you would have to subtract the newstadium too I guess. I just wonder if they made a profit.

Here's a couple misconceptions that come to mind...

That, "You can't use your hands in soccer (so it isn't a real sport)"
Well, you can, ask the goalie. Also to throw the ball in play when it goes out of bound on the sides.

That, "There isn't any physical contact in soccer, that every player flops and you can't get hurt"
Don't make me embed some Youtube clips of soccer injuries.
eek.gif

That, "All soccer games and fans get insanely crazy, people jumping onto the field and fight"
Not all, just most.
happy.gif

That, "Poker is a sport"
LOL

That, "This is a must win for _____...."
No it isn't, really.

That, "X running back, is a down hill runner or runs better down hill"
What the hell is that? Thought the field is flat.
grin.gif
Nah, but seriously, I think I know what theymean but then again, I don't. Plus it don't make sense to me.

That, "Baseball is fun"
For who?

That, "Baseball is America's favorite pasttime"
Which America is that?

Next one is like a 3 in 1...
That, "Boxing is easy." People say, "What's so hard about just going up there to beat someone up, to throw punches" or folks whenwatching boxing saying, "Why is he just standing there, why doesn't he punch"
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

For me, it drives me nuts when people make comments like "I hate the Yankees...because they buy their championships." To me, the Yankees "buying" their championships is one of the biggest fallacies in all of sports.

So NT, are there any of these that come to mind for you?
It's apparent that you are missing the point of what people are saying. When the Yankees win titles, their payroll is astronimically larger than the rest of the league. In a way though if you have the money, why not spend it? It's crazy how much money in payroll the Yanks have dropped since last winning a World Series.

2001 - $113 Million (Lost World Series)
2002 - $126 Million
2003 - $153 Million (Lost World Series)
2004 - $185 Million
2005 - $209 Million
2006 - $195 Million
2007- $218 Million
2008- $209 Million
2009 - $201 Million

Total spent since winning last World Series (2000) $1,609,000,000
eek.gif

I see what you are saying, but I have a slightly differing opinion. So IMO, buying a championship implies that the team spent a ton of money to bring in freeagents which ultimately lead to winning the World Series. If you look at the championship Yankee teams of the past, an overwhelming majority of the playerswere home grown players. Sure they are signed to large extensions. But up until the point where the Yankees stopped winning World Series, they were NOTbringing in a ton of huge salary free agents. They havent won for a while, so they then started bringing in top level free agents.

To say the Yankees have bought ANY of their WS titles, is just wrong....yet so many people hate the Yankees because they "buy their Championships."

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Shaq is my man, but he has never carried a team.

Prove me wrong
laugh.gif
you should perform at the apollo

- 3 finals MVP
- commanded a double or even triple team every time he had the ball

Personally don't think he's the greatest Laker yet.
nerd.gif

kobe bryant will not go down as the greatest Laker...thats magic johnson

I'm not a celtics fan but I bet you guys didn't lose faith in the nba in the 2002 wcf when the lakers played the kings where the refs were 3x as bad.

Common sports misconception: that the Kings got jobbed in the 2002 WCFs.

The refereeing was horrible both ways. That's the difference between that series and the 2006 and 2008 Finals.

Tall basketball players should play in the post....Not if you dont have a big body *pause*
cowboys are america's team, the yankees are "cheaters", patriots are one of the scariest teams in the nfl *go saints*

Back
Top Bottom