College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by allen3xis

He's gona go to a school with good academics....his pops doesn't play that funny stuff (ie Memphis).

Bring your #%# to Texas A&M, Roscoe!
smile.gif
glasses.gif

smh.gif
laugh.gif

Cal, UCLA and Florida have now also offered Roscoe Smith.

He's gona go to a school with good academics....his pops doesn't play that funny stuff (ie Memphis).

...rumors are that Alex Stephenson - USC
?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

?

Come on Mike, you know Cal is legit when it comes to academics. Plus Florida is definitely not that bad when it comes to academics either.

Florida is one of the top engineering schools in the nation. I doubt the kid would major in engineering, but Florida is no slouch academically.

I mean....a program where academics mean something, where he's gona be a student athlete and not handed gifts and have guys going about recruiting in adirty way...kinda the reason he hasn't played AAU ball

Originally Posted by The Wizard

?

Come on Mike, you know Cal is legit when it comes to academics. Plus Florida is definitely not that bad when it comes to academics either.
for the most part your right. for studetns cal is top of the line, now people on the sports teams are a different story. COUGH*marshawn Lynch*COUGH

Originally Posted by Basketballsavant

^^^ Get off your high horse, you act as if UCLA has never admitted an athlete with questionable academics.
in bball NO and in football thats a whole different story
laugh.gif

EUGENE, Ore. -- Basketball coach Ernie Kent and Oregon have agreed to terms on a new contract that will run through the 2012-13 season.

The agreement, which took effect July 1, raises Kent's annual minimum guaranteed salary from $1 million to $1,060,000. It also will provide more than $347,000 in additional salary and benefits for his staff. It will take the place of Kent's previous contract, which ran through 2010.

"Ernie's acknowledgement of the role that his staff has played in the program's success reached the point that he was willing to deflect substantial personal gain to aid the continued growth of the program," Oregon athletic director Pat Kilkenny said in a statement.

"That speaks a lot not only for the commitment he has for his players and staff but also the university and this community."

The agreement also raises Kent's buyout clause from $1 million to $1.15 million.

Kent is 211-134 as head coach at Oregon. He has guided the Ducks to five NCAA tournament appearances, including two round-of-eight appearances, the 2002 Pacific-10 Conference regular-season championship, and two conference tournament titles.

"I am honored to have been the head basketball coach at the University of Oregon for the last 11 years," Kent said. "But our work here has just started. I want to build on the momentum and excitement that has been generated from our recent success ... and take this program to the next level."

The university also announced that it will hire a strength and conditioning coach for the basketball team.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

?

UC Berkeley- Engineering program is top notch

UF - Engineering, Dental program is one of the best in the world

UCLA- All around great academics

All top 50 universities.

He got ya a national title
laugh.gif

All is good again at Gonzaga after star sophomore forward Austin Daye was toldThursday that he doesn't have a torn ACL that will require surgery and jeopardize his status for the upcoming season.

Daye was told by doctors at UCLA that he has a bone bruise and a minor, low-grade tear that won't require surgery. Instead, Daye and his parents Darrenand Tamara said Thursday that he simply needs to rest the next three weeks.

Over the weekend, the first reading of an MRI produced a diagnosis that he had a torn ACL, would need surgery and could be gone for six to 12 months. Theinjury, which was first believed to be a tendon injury in his hamstring, occurred during drills at the Nike LeBron James Skills Academy on July 8 in Akron,Ohio.

Daye was told Thursday that he shouldn't have any problem playing for the Zags next season after strengthening his right knee this summer.

"It's been an emotional rollercoaster week," Daye said by phone Thursday. "Now I'm getting off the ride."

Daye said he was really sad when he was first told he would need surgery. He said he was even more down realizing that the Zags had a top 10 preseasonranking and high-profile nonconference schedule that included the loaded Orlando Old Spice Classic (which includes Michigan State and Georgetown), gamesagainst Connecticut in Seattle, Arizona in Phoenix and at Tennessee.

"I was really emotional," Daye said. "I just didn't want to miss so much time. We've got one of the best teams and schedules in thecountry. I wasn't expecting any of this when they first told me [in Akron] that it was my hamstring. Then the ACL came out of nowhere [from the firstdoctor in L.A.]. Then we met with two more doctors who gave me better news."

Daye said he hopes to be back to normal within three to four weeks. He said he plans on strengthening his knee prior to the season.

His mother said the initial diagnosis was "wrong." She said it was hard to get a grasp on so many differing opinions.

Tamara and Darren Daye got Austin with doctors from the L.A. Lakers and at UCLA for other opinions. They said the fact Austin ran through a terminal tocatch a flight back from Akron indicated he couldn't have torn his ACL.

"It's all very good news now," said Darren Daye, a former NBA guard.

Austin Daye averaged 10.5 points and 4.7 rebounds for the Zags last season as a freshman. He is expected to team up with WCC player of the year point guardJeremy Pargo, guards Matt Bouldin, StevenGray and Micah Downs and center Josh Heytvelt to form the top scoring team in the WCC.

Gonzaga head coach Mark Few and associate head coach Leon Rice witnessed Daye fall to the court at Akron last week. They ran to his aid but then wererelieved when told it was a hamstring. They were distraught at the first ACL news.

Few was unavailable for comment Thursday. But according to at least one member of the staff, the Zags were relieved to hear the latest news that Dayewon't need surgery and should be ready to go for the season in the fall.

AKRON, Ohio -- North Carolina coach Roy Williams made it clear to his Tar Heels that if they don't put the team first in their quest for a nationaltitle, they won't play for him next season.

"If I feel that someone is out for themselves, I don't give a darn who it is, they won't play," Williams said last week in Akron, Ohio,while evaluating high school talent at the LeBron James Nike Skills Academy.

dropQuote.gif
[h3]I didn't think any way in Hades that we'd have all three back.
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
--UNC coach Roy Williams on the return of Wayne Ellington, Danny Green and Ty Lawson
North Carolina is the overwhelming favorite to win the 2009 national title. The Tar Heels return 2008 consensus national playerof the year in senior forward Tyler Hansbrough. UNC received an unexpected boost whenrising junior guards Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington withdrew from the NBA draft. Senior-to-be guard Danny Green, who flirted with the NBA draft, also returned. Add in returning forwardsDeon Thompson and Marcus Ginyard, guard Bobby Frasor (coming back from a knee injury) and the infusion of even more talent withready-to-contribute freshman guards Larry Drew and Justin Watts and forwards Tyler Zeller and Ed Davis, and the Tar Heels are as loaded as any team in recent memory to bechallenging for the title.
"I didn't think [there was] any way in Hades that we'd have all three back," Williams said of getting Lawson, Ellington and Green toreturn on the deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft.

With those three back, UNC will return its top six scorers, who combined to score 78.7 points, which is more than 319 Division I teams averaged lastseason.

The only losses from last season's Final Four team are backup point guard QuentinThomas, who was a senior, and reserve forward Alex Stepheson, who transferred tobe closer to his family.

And UNC's returning depth makes this team very different from two of Williams' previous best teams. His consensus No. 1 team in the 1996-97 seasonat Kansas had Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrentz and JacqueVaughn and earned a No. 1 seed, but the Jayhawks were upset in the Sweet 16 by eventual champion Arizona. The 2005 national champion Tar Heels were led byNBA first-round draft picks Sean May, Raymond Felton, RashadMcCants and Marvin Williams, but even that team couldn't boast the bench thatthis year's team will have.

"The '05 team had six or seven guys, but this team has a chance to go much deeper," Williams said. "On the '05 team, we won just 19games the year before so there was no reason to be fat and happy. None of those guys thought about the NBA and the NBA had no interest in them. They werehungry to show people they were a big-time basketball team. If this team adopts that attitude and shows everybody, then we'll be fine."

[h4]Great Expectations[/h4]
katz_andy_m.jpg
With Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington and Danny Green, UNC is the overwhelming No. 1 for the 08-09 season. How might the rest of the Top 25 look? Andy Katz has an early preview. Top 25
Lunardi: 2009 Bracketology

Williams said the "high character" of this Tar Heels team is a reason he's not concerned that he has "too many guys."

But one concern is the Tar Heels' defense. UNC gave up an average of 85 points and allowed 48.5 percent shooting in its three losses -- to Maryland,Duke and Kansas -- last season.

"We got to a point last season where we were OK defensively," Williams said. "We have to get to a point where we're really good. The'97 team was the best defensive team I ever coached. The 2005 team held Illinois and Michigan State to below 30 percent in shooting in one half in theFinal Four."

The only thing Williams still doesn't have a handle on from last season is the perplexing first half against Kansas in the national semifinal. TheJayhawks raced out to a 40-12 lead in the first 13 minutes, a shocking 44-27 halftime lead and an eventual 84-66 win. Kansas went on to beat Memphis inovertime for the national title in San Antonio, with Williams watching his former team in the stands, wearing a Kansas sticker on a black shirt to show hissupport.

"It's the most dumbfounded I've ever been as a coach," Williams said of the Kansas loss. "In the locker room, we prepared like we didevery game in the ACC and in the NCAA. They'd all been the same and the kids appeared to have a good focus. I'm just dumbfounded, still dumbfounded.Kansas just came in and hit us in the mouth."

UNC won't back down in scheduling once again. Williams has the Tar Heels in the Maui Invitational with potential top-25 teams Notre Dame, Texas andAlabama. They will play Kentucky in Chapel Hill and Michigan State at 2009 Final Four site Ford Field in Detroit.

Williams is taking the Tar Heels on the road, too, against lower-level teams that could cause problems, like UC Santa Barbara on the way to Maui andValparaiso in Chicago in a game to get Illinois native Frasor back home.

The ACC has another five teams that will start the season as probable NCAA tournament teams in Duke, Miami, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech and Clemson, with afew others that could possibly earn a ticket to the Dance.

"The league is so much better and experienced," Williams said. "And in playing Kentucky, Michigan State and the Maui games, I think thosekinds of games will get us ready."

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.
"The '05 team had six or seven guys, but this team has a chance to go much deeper,"
Unless injuries occur You think with the top end talent he has he would shorten the bench.

Duke offers Tyler Thornton

"I'm not really leaning toward any one school right now," he said. "I'm still open to a lot of schools. There are some that have myinterest a lot like Georgetown (offer), Wake Forest, Duke (offer), Georgia Tech, Miami, Georgia and Stanford. There are things I like about all of thoseschools, so right now I'm still open.

"My plan is to sit down before the school season starts and narrow it down to four or five. Then I will go from there. I want to have my decision madebefore the end of my school year."

The Reebok Summer Championships has the stars. The adidas Super 64 has the depth. The Main Event has the future. And Rivals.com will be on hand for all threemajor tournaments this week in Las Vegas.

The tournaments are stacked with talent and all three should be filled with memorable games, emerging stars and hosts of talented young players.

[table][tr][td]
JOHNWALL5_16200A.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]John Wall, the nation's top ranked player, will have a lot of eyes on him in Las Vegas this week.[/td] [/tr][/table]REEBOK SUMMER CHAMPIONSHIPS

Reebok Summer Championships official website
Teams, Pools and Bracket Play Schedule
Nationally ranked players at the Reebok Summer Championships
Venue maps

In it's second under the brand of the Summer Championships, the Reebok tournament boasts the most five-star prospects of all three events this year.

Reebok selected eight pre-seeded teams to participate in the Create-N-Finish Cup, a mini tournament within the actual tournament format. The Cup will featuresome of the top players and match-ups in Las Vegas this week.

Team Breakdown, arguably the top AAU team in the country this year, will lock horns with the Northwest Panthers at 12:30 on Tuesday. The match-up pairs four ofthe best guards, all five-star prospects, in the nation. Team Breakdown is led by Kenny Boynton and Brandon Knight while the Northwest Panthers boast Abdul Gaddy and Avery Bradley.

John Wall, the nation's top playerin the class of 2009, and his D-One Sports team (also featuring five-star rising senior Ryan Kelly) will take on the Worldwide Renegades Orange featuringMfon Udofia, Richard Howell and Ari Stewart.

A pairing of two of the top big men in the nation go at it at 3 p.m. on Tuesday when John Henson of the Franchize All-Stars and Renardo Sidney of the L.A. Dream Team tip off against each other.

Rounding out the Cup schedule on Tuesday is a match-up of Belmont Shore and Triple Threat. Belmont Shore will have Georgetown commitment Hollis Thompson and guard Darius Morris while Triple Threat will lean onthe scoring punch of future Indiana guard Maurice Creek. David Wear and Travis Wear may also be with Belmont Shore.

ADIDAS SUPER 64

adidas Super 64 official website
Nationally ranked players at the adidas Super 64t
Venue maps

Perhaps the greatest strength of the adidas Super 64 is the overall depth of talented teams. There are a number of high-level programs in the event and it isanyone's guess to who can bring home the title this year.

Last year's defending champs, the Atlanta Celtics, boast the top 2009 prospect in the tournament in post Derrick Favors. The crew returns a number of players from lastyear's championship team as well as a host of players from the 16 and under team that made it the final four last season.

Traditional adidas powers, the Playaz, D.C. Assault, Indiana Elite One and, of course, the Double Pump Elite team, make up the depth in the tournament.

The Playaz will rely on the scoring punch of five-star wing Dominic Cheek while D.C. Assault will have the versatility of five-starforward Wally Judge to work with.

Fresh off a trip to Argentina with the United States 18 and under team, five-star forward Mason Plumlee should be back with his Indiana Elite One team. The crewfrom the Hoosier state is one of the best teams in the nation.

The Double Pump team may not have the five-star power like last year (see Jrue Holiday) but the squad won't be easy to send home. The kidsfrom California have championship potential and will certainly have a large following of fans during the week.

Seattle Rotary Select I will rely on the powerful trio of Josh Smith, a potential No. 1 player in the class of 2010, Anthony Wroten Jr., a sure-fire five-starprospect in the class of 2011 and top 35 senior Peyton Siva, a Louisville commitment.

Grassroots Canada can't be slept on either. The kids from north of the border are a tough team to match up with thanks to Tristan Thompson, the nation's second ranked player in the class of2010.

Other five-stars in attendance include: Lance Stephenson (Raising Champions), Milton Jennings (Beach Ball Select), Maalik Wayns (Team Philly), Cory Jefferson (Texas D-1 Ambassadors), Jon Hood (Nashville Celtics) and Joshua Hairston (D.C. Assault 16U).

MAIN EVENT

Main Event official website
Nationally ranked players at the Main Event
Venue maps

Youth is served at the Main Event this year. Of the three major tournaments, the stars of tomorrow will be at the Vision Sports event.

Leading the charge is class of 2010 big man Jeremy Tyler of the California Supreme. The 6-foot-9 forward from SanDiego can truly lock himself into the top position in the class of 2010 with a great showing. The number one ranking is up in the air heading into this week ofplay.

Coming at Tyler for the top spot is Ohio State forward Deshaun Thomas. He'll be in Sin City with the Spiece Indy Heat club.The rangy 6-foot-7 combo forward has enjoyed a strong summer to date.

Other five-star prospects in the event include Reggie Bullock (CP3 All-Stars), Joe Jackson (Memphis Magic), Crandall Head (Mac Irvin Fire) and Daniel Bejarano (Arizona Stars).

The potential for finding a sleeper or two at the Main Event is high. A young kid named Samardo Samuels made his first national splash at the event three yearsago. Last year, a 13-year-old named MikeGilchrist caught our eye at the tournament.

Who will it be this year? We have our eyes on a couple of games to watch and it will be interesting to see if the prospects can play their way onto thenational spotlight.

STACKED DECK

Just how important is Las Vegas to our national basketball recruiting team? Check out these numbers.

There will be 146 of the 250 basketball players nationally ranked by Rivals.com in Sin City this week. Talk about a stacked deck.

There will be 96 of the 150 ranked players In the class of 2009 rankings in Las Vegas. There will be 51 of the top 100 ranked players in the class in 2010during the July 22-26 period.

The adidas Super 64 tournament boasts the biggest numbers of ranked players. There will be 71 nationally ranked players in the event (46 from the class of 2009and 25 in 2010). There will be 40 ranked players in the Reebok Summer Championships (33 in the class of 2009 and seven in the class of 2010). The Main Eventboasts 36 ranked players in the tournament field (17 in the class of 2009 and 19 in the class of 2010).

"We have always enjoyed scouting the intense competition at the Las Vegas events," Rivals.com National Basketball Recruiting Analyst Jerry Meyersaid. "Certainly a prospect's stock isn't based solely on how he performs at a single event, but Las Vegas is a platform for a prospect to step uphis game and make a lasting impression."

Yahoo! Buzz

The fireworks are already beginning to take off at the Reebok Summer Championships. Mfon Udofia, one of the top players in the event this year, announcedhis college decision after a big time match-up against the nation's top player John Wall.

Udofia told a crowd of reporters that he will be taking his game to Georgia Tech next season. The top 30 national prospect and top five point guard said heliked the opportunity in downtown Atlanta.

[table][tr][td]
MFONUDOFIA2_25200A.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mfon Udofia will stay in Atlanta for college.[/td] [/tr][/table]"We have a really good player-coach type of relationship with coach [Paul] Hewitt and [Charlton Young]," Udofia said."I'd try to reach out to them just about everyday. We're real close. Plus, I'm from around there. It all worked out well."

Georgia Tech's point guard history was also a major factor, Udofia said.

"That was also something that helped me make up my mind. Georgia Tech is like point guard U," Udofia said. "They've had Kenny Anderson,Stephon Marbury, Jarrett Jack, Javaris Crittenton. They've had a lot of really good point guards come out of Tech. All of them are top guards. I'mlooking forward to going there and seeing if I have that same kind of potential, too. It's a point guard school."

Udofia joins fellow Rivals150 prospects Kammeon Holsey and Brian Oliver in Georgia Tech's 2009 recruiting class. Ironically,Holsey and Oliver also announced their decisions at or immediately after a major event. Holsey reveled that he would be a Yellow Jacket last week at the NikePeach Jam. Oliver pledged shortly after shining in the Rumble in the Bronx.

With Udofia now on board, Georgia Tech will likely spend the week shadowing Derrick Favors and Kenny Boynton in Las Vegas and Glen Rice in Orlando. Udofia said he is looking forward

"Now I get to work on the rest of the players. I get to tell them about the school and try to get them to come with us," Udofia said. "I get toput my recruiter's hat on now. I gotta get some more players."

[table][tr][td][size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

Duke offers Tyler Thornton

"I'm not really leaning toward any one school right now," he said. "I'm still open to a lot of schools. There are some that have my interest a lot like Georgetown (offer), Wake Forest, Duke (offer), Georgia Tech, Miami, Georgia and Stanford. There are things I like about all of those schools, so right now I'm still open.

"My plan is to sit down before the school season starts and narrow it down to four or five. Then I will go from there. I want to have my decision made before the end of my school year."

Is the kid any good?

Is he he a guard, forward, center or what?

Somebody school me.

nerd.gif

PG

Kid is a winner.

Good size, Plays the game the right way, pass first, makes teammates better.. he really can defend.

He's shot isn't that good right now...but it should come. I'm sure both K and III feel they can improve that, since it's vital to both systemsthey run.

Top 40-50 prospect for '10.

A young combo guard from Charlotte, N.C., has been making a name for himself on the AAU circuit this summer, and it appears the Kentucky Wildcats have made hima top target for 2010.

[table][tr][td]
IANMILLER5_21200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ian Miller[/td] [/tr][/table]"We're playing out here in Las Vegas right now," said Ian Miller, "and coach (Billy) Gillispie was in the gym watching our game.

"Kentucky has been watching me a lot lately. I think they liked how I played up in Cincinnati (at the adidas Takes 5ive Classic). I have a scholarshipoffer from them now, and they'd like to get me up there for a visit. They told me they'd like me to come up there before the end of the summer, andthat's something I'd like to try to do."

Miller (6-0, 160) is a four-star prospect currently rated the No. 23 point guard and No. 97 prospect overall in the rising junior class. His stock appears tobe on its way up, though, with several impressive performances this spring and summer playing on the United Celtics.

According to Rivals.com national basketball analyst Justin Young, Miller is an explosive player for his size. During the Peach State Summer Showcase earlierthis month, Miller "showed his scoring side at the tournament, but he's also a guy that should have zero problems running the point for a high-majorschool. Miller cemented himself in the minds of several high-level programs with his play."

"I think people liked my scoring to go along with my versatility and ability to play the point," Miller said. "And being able to play defense. Iplay hard on both ends of the floor."

In addition to Kentucky, Miller has drawn scholarship offers from Clemson, Florida State, Wake Forest, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech andGeorgetown. He's also hearing "a little bit" from North Carolina, although the Tar Heels have yet to make an official offer.

Milelr has two unofficial visits under his belt so far, to Clemson and Florida State. "I liked both of those places," Miller said. "Theatmosphere was real nice at both schools. I liked those campuses and the people I met while I was there."

Miller doesn't currently claim a favorite - "I'm wide open right now" - but he says Kentucky has grabbed his attention.

"I don't know a whole lot about their school yet," he said. "That's one of the reasons I want to get up there and check things out,maybe in August.

"But I know it's a big program that's used to winning. A lot of good players come through there. And I like their style of play. They have aguard-oriented offense that can push the ball up and down the court or play with a lot of motion and screens in halfcourt. They use a lot of pick-and-rollswith their guards."

PG

Kid is a winner.

Good size, Plays the game the right way, pass first, makes teammates better.. he really can defend.

He's shot isn't that good right now...but it should come. I'm sure both K and III feel they can improve that, since it's vital to both systems they run.

Top 40-50 prospect for '10.

Nice. Sounds like Chris Duhon.
A young combo guard from Charlotte, N.C., has been making a name for himself on the AAU circuit this summer, and it appears the Kentucky Wildcats have made him a top target for 2010.

Ian Miller

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You already know....

Dude is fast as %#%@... ..

For those with DirecTV or Digital Cable they are replaying the 2008 NCAA Tourney on a station called like CBS C. I caught that USC/K State game last night.

Back
Top Bottom