College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

I'm at this pro -am game.

One team is David Young (used to go to Xavier then went to NCCU), Miles Plumee, PJ Tucker and some other N's...

Other team is le by Stackhouse and Ed Davis (UNC Right????) and Lance Thomas

That man Dickey used to punk the hell out my Dukies whenever they played GT. He was on some grown man shhhh. Glad to see him gone.

I see that foreign move is growing in the entire world of basketball. hmmm.....

Kyle Singler plays later...

And Lance was at the line with a chance to win the game, and he went one for two.

Now david young is about to win the game from the freethrow line...

Miles looking a little suspect...But this isn't organized ball, so he kinda out of his element..

so david young missed the freethrows, plumee got the rebound and the put back to win the game, but they said it didn't count....

They cheating my boy already...

In this game we got Ellioit Williams, JJ Hickson, Kyle Singler, Josh Powell, and the dude that's going to duke that is from overseas...I forgot his name.Nolan Smith out here too. And Anthony Grundy who used to play for NCSU

Nolan, the euro dude(Olek Cyxz, some ++@$ like that and E-Dub JUMP OUT THE GYM!!!!

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Nolan is supposed to be coming out to Vegas tomorrow for his birthday that Beasley is throwing for him

Vilarino shows risks of early commitment

For several months I've been looking for the ideal story to illustrate why this rush, rush, rush to offer college basketball scholarships to 10th-, ninth- and even eighth-graders is an unnecessary and unsettling trend that needs to be reversed by adults who should know better.

I fear we are watching that story develop. I hope it doesn't become an ugly story. It has already become an uncomfortable one.

It is the story of G.J. Vilarino, the 6-foot-1 Texas high school point guard who committed to the University of Kentucky before he finished his sophomore year.

As you read in Jody Demling's story in The Courier-Journal yesterday, Vilarino says that he intends to honor his commitment and enroll at UK in 2009.

So what's the big deal? Why wouldn't he come to Lexington? It's a wonderful place to play college basketball.

The big deal is that a healthy chunk of the basketball world, including some Kentucky fans, does not believe Vilarino has the skills to play winning basketball for Billy Gillispie's program.

Vilarino is 16 months from playing his first game for Kentucky, and he's already taken more hits than Sheray Thomas, Adam Williams or Carlos Toomer. At a time when people should still be evaluating Vilarino, they're writing him off.

There was a time when a kid got to play at least a half-season in college before the world questioned his credentials. Now it's happening before he gets fitted for his class ring.

Some fans are howling that Vilarino is not a Kentucky-quality player. Dave Telep of Scout.com told me Vilarino would be a backup at Kentucky. Two opposing coaches that I saw at the Kentucky HoopFest two weeks ago said Vilarino was a mid-major talent. The last time I checked Kentucky did not aspire to mid-major greatness.

What's the truth?

I wish I knew. I've never seen Vilarino play. My guess is that most of the fans shrieking about Gillispie's recruiting are also waiting for their first look at the kid from McKinney, Texas. Hey, an irrelevant fact like that is not going to stop the howling.

But this is why this is such an alarming story: Villarino's rush to commit to Gillispie and Gillispie's willingness to accept the commitment contribute greatly to the drama.

When a player commits to a school like Kentucky before he has played the two most revealing seasons of his high school career, it tells me that he is an off-the-charts talent.

Can't miss. The Next (fill-in the blank with your favorite player). Use any lingo you desire that says a guy is as good as it gets at his position.

Last year, when Vilarino became the first player to commit to Gillispie, as a 10th-grader, the message was that Gillispie was going to be able to sign the elite prospects that former UK coach Tubby Smith struggled to bring to Lexington.

But now that the kid has played another season and more people have had the opportunity to evaluate him, that's no longer the message people are hearing.

If Vilarino comes to Kentucky and plays spectacular basketball, well, he's supposed to because he's the kid who committed as a 10th-grader.

If he comes to Lexington and plays less than solid basketball, he'll be viewed as a bust and people will wonder what Gillispie was thinking.

G.J. Vilarino is a perfect example of why these early commitments might be the trend, but they aren't the best thing for young players or coaches.

Nowitness, was it this dude or K.C. Ross-Miller that you said was buns? or both?
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Pro-Am tournament at my college. Actually my old college, I already graduated

It's in Durham, NC; Hence the heavy Carolina, Duke and NC State influence.

It was pretty entertaining.

But yeah, Anthony Grundy had at least 25. He's unstoppable in pickup ball. I saw him playing at State one time...Unfair.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Pro-Am tournament at my college. Actually my old college, I already graduated

It's in Durham, NC; Hence the heavy Carolina, Duke and NC State influence.

It was pretty entertaining.

But yeah, Anthony Grundy had at least 25. He's unstoppable in pickup ball. I saw him playing at State one time...Unfair.

cool...yeah and that Grundy dunk on me will forever be known amoungst some people who were there as "Grundy's Undies."
tired.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

What's the truth?

I wish I knew. I've never seen Vilarino play.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen a writer actually write that...

But the only time I saw GJ play, he torched the team he was playing from the 3 point line. It's been a few years since I saw him play, but I certainlydidn't think he was Kentucky type talent though. I used to hear quite a bit about him regarding Texas hoops, but I haven't been hearing muchlately.

Isn't KC Ross-Miller the dude from God's Academy or something in Irving? If so, I certainly didn't think he was Kentucky level talent either.He's decent, and would probably be somewhat serviceable off of the bench, but not the level of player that I would think Kentucky would recruit. They couldprobably do better.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

that boy elliot williams seems legit eh?! ...

and what's the word on calhoun?

Elliot didn't really get off like that. He had a couple dunks and made some nice moves...But he wasn't really killing.

Plus, he had Nolan D'ing him up. Nolan is a hell of a defender...

Anthony Grundy gave him work though
smh.gif

Grundy used to get it in at State I hated that ugly %!% lefty jumper... but he was money with it
smh.gif

How did Kyle play?

Was at Nike Pro-City at Hunter College yesterday. Couple of old college heads was out there playing.
Adris Deleon "2 Hard 2 Guard" (Eastern Washington), Marvin McCollough (Iona), and Jr Inman (Rutgers) was playing for the Uptowners. They also had Headache if that even matters.
Smush Parker, Mike James, Marko Jaric, Derrick Character (Doesnt even have a school or team???), and one of my favorite players of all-time Omar Cook wasplaying for Gold Gym.

-Adris had about 35, he was basically gettin to anywhere on the court wheneva he wanted.
-Jr reminds me of Andrew Bynum during his rookie year of the league. I'm not sayin that he has Andruw's talent or even potential but you can tell thatif a coach actually works with him, he might be decent in the future. But yesterday, he looked very much like a project.
-Derrick is the biggest waste of talent. He would be good for two trips down the court, then his fat +#@ would be exhuasted by the third trip. One sequence:Derrick gets the ball on the low block, hits the defender with the mean drop-step with the up and under move for an And 1. Then next trip down, he does thesame move but instead of going baseline with his drop-step, he spins toward the middle of the paint and throw up some weak +#@ baby hook that gets punch causehe only jump like 6 inches off the ground. Then calls for a sub.
-I kno he is not in college anymore but Omar Cook is always appreciated by me. Best passer PG I EVER SAW.....But yea he got a jumpshot now. Not Curry status,but if you leave him open he will hit it status.

Side note about more older college players...Andre Barrett (Seton Hall) was playing the next game, matterfact Allan Houston was playing wit Barrett also, but I didnt stay to watch it. Incindetly, he actually going to play against Ron Artest and Ryan Williams(St. Johns). I would pay money to see Barrett andCook go at it again like old times. FYI, Kenny Satterfield (Cinn) had 45pts in OT win on Tuesday.

"Plus, he had Nolan D'ing him up. Nolan is a hell of a defender..."

Good luck to him guarding Ty for 94 feet next year haha

I just don't even see the talent with DC anymore...before he had the potential...but now he's just a 6'8 bruiser.

Originally Posted by manamazing55

"Plus, he had Nolan D'ing him up. Nolan is a hell of a defender..."

Good luck to him guarding Ty for 94 feet next year haha

ehh....

Not really worried about it.

The father of elite senior-to-be shooting guard Noel Johnson of Fayetteville (GA) Fayette County High School and the Atlanta Celtics AAU program tells *@*+ "Hoops" Weiss of the New York Daily News that UCLA, Georgia Tech, and Louisville (the order in which Weiss lists them) are the schools in contention for his son.

Went down and watched the Hartford Pro-Am this weekend and all I have to say is, if Chris Quinn can get a contract with Miami then Jared Jordan shoulddefinitely be in the league with someone. Dude used to give my high school team buckets and I knew he got off his junior and senior year at Marist butwatchin' this dude this past weekend opened my eyes. He's that nice, trust.

Also, Dyson, Dougie Wiggins, Nate Miles (incoming freshman) and Jon Mandeldove were out there as well. Dyson = Monta Ellis 2.0 if he get his head together. His explosiveness in the lane is bananas. the game today, I kid you not, he caught it off the backboard, went through the legs, and yoked on some dude. Apparently he didn't see the dude comin' from the wing on the fastbreak so he thought he was alone but dude went up with him as he was puttin' itthrough the legs and caught a mean one. They didn't even play out the final 2:30 and just ended the game on that play.

Nate Miles = Bust. I don't know why the UConn coaching staff went through so much just to get this dude to qualify. Pure buns. If he's supposed toslot into Stanley Robinson's spot at the 3 then we're in trouble and might have to go with a 3 guard lineup with Hasheem and Adrien as our bigs. Honestly after seein' this dude play and hearing about the hassle we went through to get him, I'm thoroughly disappointed.
mad.gif

I don't know what UMass backcourt is lookin' like but they're gettin a player by the name of David Gibbs. Athleticism is off the charts. And lilWiggins was gettin his as well so they'll have a nice backcourt for the future.

For all my football heads, Even TeBucky Jones was out there hoopin'. Had the Maserati out front, just stuntin' on folks.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom