College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by dreClark

Nolan Smith hurt his ankle today at the Pro-Am game at my old school.

He was on teams w/ Flip Murray, Shammod Williams and Kyle Singler

dreClark you go to central?

what the proAM games be lookin like, dude at my job be talking about em

and thats too bad to hear about nolan, i played hs ball with him. waitin for him to grow and become the player he is capable of being

Used to. I graduated in 2006.

My dude was out there and he told me about it, I was out hooping so I didn't go.

Its another one on Thursday, so Ill be out there for sure.

I heard is straight out there. I'll be able to give you a better synopsis once I actually attend the game.

I would hate to have to check Flip Murray in a Pro Am. I guarded that _ one time When I was in Raleigh playing pickup ball....

BUCKETS. _ crossed the #$+# out of me. And he put my layup on the backboard when I tried to smack off on him. He cool as #$+# tho. He chopped it up w/ us afterthe game was over and #$+#.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Rick Pitino has "opened the door" for Character to return.
According to a report by Adam Zagoria of New York SportsNet and Rivals.com, Louisville power forward Derrick Caracter is planning to sit out the 2008-09 season and return to playing for the Cardinals at 2009-2010.

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
591784.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Derrick Caracter plans to return to the basketball team in 2009-2010.[/td] [/tr][/table]Zagoria quotes Stacy Brooks, a professor in the Pan-African Studies Department at the University of Louisville, who has become an adviser to Caracter.

"Coach 'P' called Derrick and he said that the best he could do for him was to (have Derrick) take this year off and come back next year (2009-10) and be on the team," Brooks told Zagoria Tuesday by phone. "Derrick accepted it. (Pitino) just said he's not going to have a scholarship (for him) to go to school this year. I believe Coach Pitino is expecting him to remain a student at the University."

Brooks told Zagoria that Caracter planned to remain at Louisville for the 2008-09 school year and also find a job.

"He would pull his GPA up and try to keep his nose clean," Brooks said.

Here is a link to Zagoria's blog report: ZAG: Caracter plans on staying in Louisville.

motivator6854989.jpg

[h1]Pitino gives Caracter chance[/h1] [h2]Might return in '09-10 if he meets conditions[/h2]
Coach Rick Pitino said yesterday that he has offered Derrick Caracter a chance to sit out next season but return to the University of Louisville basketball team for the 2009-10 season -- if the player meets requirements the coach questions whether he can fulfill

But Pitino said that Caracter called him yesterday morning and said he was willing to meet those conditions.

"He's going to have to get a job that I'm going to have to approve, he's going to have to pay his own way to school, he's going to have to get his own apartment," said Pitino, who was in Los Angeles. "We'd be willing to work him out, but he's not going to practice with our basketball team (next season) or be part of it. He's going to have to get in shape and get himself on the right track academically."

Pitino said several times in recent months that Caracter would not be back next season and should look elsewhere to resume his college career or should play pro ball. He also said Caracter was academically ineligible at U of L.

Pitino said that when he talked with Caracter yesterday and outlined the conditions for the player's return, "I told him I wanted him to really think about it and we'd talk about it again when I got back to town later this week. He says he's willing to do it, but I just don't understand his motivation when he's always been a guy who took the easy way out. All he's ever talked about is going to the pros."

Caracter, a 6-foot-9 forward from Fanwood, N.J., averaged 8.3 points and 4.5 rebounds as a sophomore last season. At the end of the season, Caracter announced he planned to forgo his final two seasons of eligibility to place his name in the 2008 NBA draft.

Pitino said he arranged an invitation for Caracter to the final NBA predraft workout in Orlando, Fla., last month. But Caracter changed his mind, declined the invitation and asked that his name be removed from the draft.

Pitino said that for the past two months he has received numerous phone calls and text messages from Caracter asking to be reinstated. Pitino said he told Caracter he should transfer or explore a pro career in Europe.

"It just wasn't working for either one of us here," Pitino said. "He told me that he was ready to do anything I asked him to do, and I told him, 'This doesn't make any sense. What chance do you have of doing that when you wouldn't do what I asked you to do when you were on scholarship?'

"I just don't understand the motivation. All his life he's taken the easy way out. Why would he want to do this? He could go to Europe and make a couple hundred thousand dollars."

Pitino said Caracter called him three times in the past week. That is when the coach made the offer that he said is similar to the one he gave Scott Padgett at the University of Kentucky after the 1994-95 season.

Padgett was dismissed from the UK team after his freshman season. He worked a series of jobs and earned his way back onto the team. He played three more seasons and appeared in two Final Fours, starring for UK's 1998 NCAA title team. Padgett became a first-round draft choice of the Utah Jazz and played eight seasons in the NBA.

"I don't want to be a doubting Thomas, but this is both bizarre and very encouraging," Pitino said. "My only hope is that Derrick could turn out as well as Scott Padgett has turned out."

Caracter frequently was a distraction during his first two seasons at U of L. He was suspended multiple times for violating team rules and held out of games for his failure to meet a target weight.

In April, Pitino said that Caracter would not return and called him "a major thorn in my side."

When he announced in May that Caracter was academically ineligible, Pitino suggested that Caracter could take a year off and return to college basketball a year later. But Pitino said Caracter would have to do that at another school.

"He just has too many issues to overcome, academically and otherwise, to be a Louisville Cardinal," Pitino said in May. "The best thing for him would be to go to a different place."

Word is that Duke would like Josh Hairston to commit very soon--and I wonder if that has anything to do with fact that III will be back soon from TEAM USA duties and will be on road to recruit out in Vegas? Everyone and their brother is saying Georgetown is out of this recruitment--which is NOT TRUE. Now that isn't some guarantee that he'll be a Hoya--because I don't make guarantees about teenagers decisions--but he's not eliminated Georgetown and if this commitment which was to have supposedly taken place 3 weeks ago doesn't happen before Vegas--and III gets his shot--things will get very interesting.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Word is that Duke would like Josh Hairston to commit very soon--and I wonder if that has anything to do with fact that III will be back soon from TEAM USA duties and will be on road to recruit out in Vegas? Everyone and their brother is saying Georgetown is out of this recruitment--which is NOT TRUE. Now that isn't some guarantee that he'll be a Hoya--because I don't make guarantees about teenagers decisions--but he's not eliminated Georgetown and if this commitment which was to have supposedly taken place 3 weeks ago doesn't happen before Vegas--and III gets his shot--things will get very interesting.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

III

I'm starting to really hate this bastard....

indifferent.gif

There's a European on the roster now with a scholarship...

The last American born White scholarship player on the team was Matt Causey 5 years ago.

Yeah, I know about Nikita and Causey.

But for the fact that you have to actually respond to that question, kinda leans itself to what I was saying...

Ain't serious though. All jokes...

If Nikita turns out anything like his brother, then G-Town has themselves a player. I was at GW for his last year and that kid could ball.

Causey was my guy..he had some flavor to him

but yeah, No Caucasian player has been in a Georgetown starting lineup since 1973.

That boy Causey got some HEART.

Son played PG w/ a concussion against Duke.

I saw his eyes rolling in the back of his head during the game and he still didn't come out.

All year he was a tough player....Definitely earned my respect (not that it means anything, but still )

Back
Top Bottom