College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

He was an idiot for that one too
laugh.gif
...and the Ga Tech staff..he reallycoulda gotten messed up

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Camby avy
pimp.gif

I hope Kellogg can keep that program on the upswing.

pimp.gif

He is a local guy so that should help somewhat. UMass has been a transfer destination as of late, not necessarily a bad thing, but they need to startre-building recruiting pipelines in the New England area. There is talent here, perhaps not as much as there was back in the early to mid 90's, but withall of the prep schools in and around the area they need to start getting some of these kids.

Causey was my guy..he had some flavor to him

but yeah, No Caucasian player has been in a Georgetown starting lineup since 1973.

He would have stayed if he knew Pat was coming the next year...they're boys.

I was just about to post the update on Louisville power forward Derrick Caracter for my Louisville fans. This could be the best thing for Cerrick. He needs togrow up. I think that if he does what he needs to do this year he can be the leader of that team when he comes back. I like what Caracter is doing he isshowing that he is willing to put in the work to become a better person. I wish my dude DC the best.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Camby avy
pimp.gif

I hope Kellogg can keep that program on the upswing.

pimp.gif

He is a local guy so that should help somewhat. UMass has been a transfer destination as of late, not necessarily a bad thing, but they need to start re-building recruiting pipelines in the New England area. There is talent here, perhaps not as much as there was back in the early to mid 90's, but with all of the prep schools in and around the area they need to start getting some of these kids.

Co-sign

As a prep school dude I know there is a lot of talented players in the New England area .

That boy Causey got some HEART.

Son played PG w/ a concussion against Duke.
He got heart and no brains. Playing on a concussion is by far the dumbest thing you can do.
As a prep school dude I know there is a lot of talented players in the New England area .
Yes sir! NMH, Bridgton Academy, Notre Dame Prep, St. Thomas More, Cheshire Academy, etc. My senior year at Loomis Chaffee was the illestI've ever seen the prep school leagues. Definitely some talent out there so I don't see how schools like BC, BU, UMass, etc aren't stacking up onthe talent out there.

Demar DeRozan won't be joining Brandon Jennings overseas.
DeRozan, one of the top incoming freshman in the country, confirmed to FOXSports.com that he received a qualifying ACT score and will be eligible to playat USC this season.
[h4]What's Hot:[/h4] Top stories | Rumors | Video | Photos

"Yes, I am cleared," DeRozan said in a text message.

Just days after Jennings, who also hails from California, said he would opt to play professionally in Europe instead of attending Arizona this season,DeRozan received the news and is set to attend classes on Aug. 25 at USC.

With DeRozan, the Trojans could contend for what should be a wide-open Pac-10 title. Tim Floyd's group lost O.J. Mayo and Davon Jefferson from lastyear's team, but the athletic DeRozan could step in and fill the void left by Mayo.

USC returns three starters - Taj Gibson, Daniel Hackett and Dwight Lewis - and are also in the running to land North Carolina transfer Alex Stepheson.

DeRozan was Scout.com's No. 6 player in the Class of 2008. However, he played extremely well last week when he was one of about 25 college playersinvited to play at the LeBron James Skills Academy and could be the player with the greatest NBA potential in the entire class.

Y'all probably don't care, but %%@* it.

My dude Lakeem Jackson comitted to South Carolina

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[h6]July 16, 2008[/h6][h1][/h1]
[h1]Horn Picks Up First Commitment[/h1]By Kevin McCrarey

USC basketball coach Darrin Horn has picked up his first commitment as Carolina's head coach. It comes from 6-5, 215 pound guard Lakeem Jackson out of the Christ School in Arden, North Carolina. He chose the Gamecocks over offers from Clemson, Marquette, Georgia Tech and Western Kentucky.
"I have a great realationship with Coach Horn," Jackson said. "I like his style. I like to run."

As a sophomore Jackson averaged 19 points, six rebounds and 3 1/2 assists per game. He also was a stopper on defense.

"I like playing defense even more than offense," Jackson said. " I pride myself on the defensive end."

Jackson will be in the Gamecocks 2009 signing class.

^ there's this dude on there exactly like you.

from NC
nerd.gif

Duke fanatic
nerd.gif

was big on this Jackson kid being legit for a while
nerd.gif

hmmm ...

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

from NC
nerd.gif

Duke fanatic
nerd.gif

nerd.gif

hmmm ...

real annoying @** dude? yeah, that's dre, i seen him on there too.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

from NC
nerd.gif

Duke fanatic
nerd.gif

nerd.gif

hmmm ...

real annoying @** dude? $@!#%% my girl? yeah, that's dre, i seen him on there too.
nerd.gif

nerd.gif

tongue.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

But seriously, that ain't me.

Never been on boxden.

I been hooping w/ Lakeem for the longest, and so has lots of other people.

He played at one of the more popular parks in the city.

Hell, its _'s on NT that went to school and or played ball w/ 'Keem.

Cal, UCLA and Florida have now also offered Roscoe Smith.

He's gona go to a school with good academics....his pops doesn't play that funny stuff (ie Memphis).

...rumors are that Alex Stephenson - USC

rumors are that Alex Stephenson - USC
ehh.. no surprise there... he's been leaning towards going there for awhile now...

the only thing now is that USC is supposedly at the 13 scholarship limit already with the news that DeRozan has qualified and the signing of this Vucevic guy recently... so unless someone else didn't qualify or what not, he might have to walk-on until a scholarship opens up...

Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedyfloated a unique idea during Wednesday's SEC coaches' teleconference.
He said that instead of one 3-point line at 19 feet 9, where it will remain for the women's game, and one at the new 20-9 line for the men, he wants tosee one 3-point line that's a foot thick.
[table][tr][td]
ANDYKENNEDY250_9-3.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy would be in favor a a foot-thick 3-point line.[/td] [/tr][/table]"I'm not in favor of keeping two lines on the floor," Kennedy said. "I think it will really create confusion withthe women's line not moving and now moving the men's line back another foot. I know they're going to be contrasting colors, but you're askingfor problems as it relates to which line was it behind: 'We've got to check the monitor.'
"There's going to be stoppages in play. Coaches are pretty crafty, and they're going to be questioning calls to maybe get a stoppage to helpstop a run. I'm not sure it will be good for the flow of the game."

His solution? A 1-foot thick line covering the distance between the women's line and the new men's line.

"If you are behind it, it's good for men, and if you're touching it, it's good for women," Kennedy said. "I've been told thatwasn't feasible, but I think two lines will cause confusion. … I'm talking about a line that's a foot thick. It would look odd, but we'd getused to it in a year."

Kennedy said he's looking out for officials.

"I don't think the players will be as confused," he said. "You'll get used to it in time, get a feel for where you are on the floor.You certainly don't want your guys looking down at the ground while they're trying to play. But I do think it will cause confusion for officials.

"It's hard enough for officials with the speed and size of guys playing today, and now we're just asking them to be able to monitor one otherarea, which honestly doesn't have to be such a big issue if it had been handled differently."

TRIVIA QUESTION

Who is Ole Miss' career leader in 3-pointers made? (Answer at the end of the column.)

SEC ROUNDUP

Other news and notes from Wednesday's SEC coaches' teleconference:

Kentucky coach BillyGillispie said guard Jodie Meeks and forwardPatrick Patterson are progressing well from offseasonsurgeries. Meeks had surgery to repair a bilateral sports hernia April 11, and Patterson, the SEC's Co-Freshman of the Year, went under the knife March 28to repair a stress fracture in his left ankle. "For the first time in a while, Jodie is probably getting close to having no soreness," Gillispiesaid. Meeks was limited to eight games last season, averaging 8.8 points in 23.2 minutes. Gillispie said Patterson is "way ahead of where anyone wouldhave expected him to be." Patterson averaged 16.4 points and led the Wildcats in rebounding (7.7).

Florida coach BillyDonovan's biggest concerns are in the frontcourt, where NBA early departure Marreese Speights has left a major hole (14.5 ppg, 8.1 rpg). "We havethree freshmen coming in who are young, and I don't know how much you can rely on them or what they'll play like," Donovan said. "The biggestquestion mark with the departure of Marreese is do we have enough up front to continue to grow?" The freshmen to whom Donovan referred are four-starprospects Eloy Vargas, Kenny Kadji and Allan Chaney. Vargas (No. 26 overall ) and Kadji (No. 27) just missedfive-star status and will have every opportunity to play significant minutes.

Alabama coach Mark Gottfriedcan't wait for the arrival of JaMychalGreen, a five-star power forward from Montgomery, Ala. "He's a high-energy guy, plays very hard, active, quick feet," Gottfried said."He's one of those guys when the ball is on the backboard, he's going after it every time. He's like most freshmen in that he has to learn toscore, develop post moves. But he brings a lot of energy. He wants to win. He's always been part of winning, so he brings a lot to the table from thestart." Green also is getting a head-start on what college practices will be like. He's a member of the U.S. 18-Under Team that currently is competingat the FIBA Americas Championship in Argentina. The team is coached by Davidson's Bob McKillop, with assistants John Thompson III of Georgetown and Anthony Grant of Virginia Commonwealth.

Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury said rising junior guard Barry Stewart (11.5 ppg) will be out 6-8 weeks after surgery to repair a stress fracturein his ankle. Stewart was injured in a pickup game a couple of weeks ago, Stansbury said.

Arkansas coach JohnPelphrey said he has had some discussions with athletic director Jeff Long about a practice facility. "We're blessed here to have greatfacilities, but I think a practice facility would add a lot," Pelphrey said. "When that will become a reality, I'm not sure."
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
DENNISFELTON250_8-17.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dennis Felton's Georgia team is still building off its SEC Tournament Championship.[/td] [/tr][/table]• Georgia coach Dennis Felton saidthe surprise SEC Tournament championship was a terrific springboard for the Bulldogs. "We had a good, productive spring and have done well in thesummer," Felton said. "Our mind-set is in a good place getting ready to compete in the SEC. … Our guys have, in terms of their approach, been gettingbetter and working hard. We're in the best place we've ever been, and no doubt winning a championship had a lot to do with it."
Tennessee coach Bruce Pearlsaid the unquestioned leader of the Vols this season will be junior forward Tyler Smith. "He made the very difficult decision to come back to Tennessee,"Pearl said. "It seemed the fashionable thing to do was to throw your name in the NBA Draft. He did the unfashionable thing. He decided to throw himselfinto the weight room and the gym and work on his game."

Vanderbilt coach KevinStallings said center A.J. Ogilvy, a second-teamall-conference pick as a freshman this past season, spent the majority of his summer in Australia trying to make his native country's Olympic team. He wasone of the final cuts. "We expect him to come back in great shape and be ready for a big year," Stallings said.

TIP-INS

• A few high-profile transfers made the decision to drop down and be eligible to play immediately, a move not practiced as much among big names inbasketball circles as it is in football. Former Tennessee player Duke Crews will play at Division II Bowie (Md.) State. Crews averaged 5.4 points and 4.0rebounds for the Vols last season. Former Vols teammate Ramar Smith chose Oklahoma City College, the reigning NAIA national champ. Smithaveraged 7.4 points and 3.2 assists for UT. And former Indiana forward DeAndre Thomas, who averaged 3.6 points and 1.8 rebounds in his only season inBloomington, will play at NAIA quarterfinalist Robert Morris College in his native Chicago.

• The news does not appear to be good for Gonzaga forward Austin Daye, a former Rivals.com five-star prospect. Daye, who averaged 10.5 points and4.7 rebounds as a freshman this past season, suffered a partially torn ACL in his right knee at the Nike LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio, last weekand will have surgery. Kansas forward BrandonRush had ACL surgery June 1, 2007, and missed the Jayhawks' first two games last season before making his debut Nov. 15. His was a remarkable recovery,and even then it took 5½ months for him to be game-ready. That would seem to indicate the best-case scenario for Daye would be a return around Jan. 1.

Back
Top Bottom