Charlemagne Tha God speaking real on why NY rappers are not winning right now . . . this can also ap

The rap game ain't missing NY anyway sooooo is there really a problem??
Honestly I'll just throw in the classics and call it a day...Nas is way past his prime, along with Jay and the rest of those old cats. 

The so called Kings are way past their prime....this dude 50 talking bout people expected either him or Jay to respond to Kendrick...
laugh.gif

The so called Kings are way past their prime....this dude 50 talking bout people expected either him or Jay to respond to Kendrick...:lol:

Who's taking their place?

Who's the king of the south, Scarface, Bun?

Who's next, TI? Jeezy? Wayne? Ross?

All of them are over 30

Last edited:
The rap game ain't missing NY anyway sooooo is there really a problem??

That's why you decided to enter the thread and then post?
NY does not make everything in the world official. NY was hot at one time and unfortunately they haven't been as of lately. But it's not like the game is in dire need of an NY artist for rap to remain relevant.

Last edited:
NY does not make everything in the world official. NY was hot at one time and unfortunately they haven't been as of lately. But it's not like the game is in dire need of an NY artist for rap to remain relevant.
Actually I can say Rap was more entertaining to me when it was region based. NY, ATL, Houston, LA.... when dudes was GRINDING to make it.... there was classic stuff going on bruh especially in regards to commercial rap.

This conversation is spiraling out of control...it has gotten so far away from the content of the video.

This isn't about region-bashing as much as it's not about bigging up New York blindly; I'm from New Jersey, born and bred, and I grew up twenty minutes from the city on the sounds of Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, AZ, etc., all of which informed my opinion of "what rap should sound like".

Nonetheless, I'm not going to give my region unmerited love just because it's my region. The truth is, most of New York, musically, is at a standstill. We're not talking lyrics vs. production, we're talking about good music overall, and right now there are a few cats doing their thing, but for the most part, it's not what it was. I'll say it again, MOST NYC rappers have either adopted styles and sounds from other parts of the country (see: ASAP, French Montana), or are making music that sounds like it should be part of an old Echo Unlimited Underground Airplay tape (see: Joey Bad*****, basically everyone else under the age of 25 making music in the 5 boroughs), and it's gotten corny.

Certain people are moving the needle somewhat - Bronson is entertaining, and makes great songs, but I'm not going to sit here and say dude doesn't sound JUST like Ghost. ( another #90sinfluence). Joell is great...I mean GREAT, was a huge fan of him early in his career, and he had the potential to be a mainstream star, but I think in some ways he fell back on certain New York stereotypes sonically (see: The Bodega Chronicles album, which I think was nuts).

Other than these few exceptions, who still haven't totally shaken off all of the nineties record crate dust on their shirts, it's dry out here. There's not much of a unified local scene, just small pockets of different people doing different things, and most of the music coming out of those scenes is boring anyway. There hasn't be an album coming out of New York that has lit things up recently like a Kanye album might, or how K.Dot did, or even how J.Cole got us all excited back in 2009. And again, I feel like THOSE guys made what New York records should be sounding like in 2013 more so than actual New York artists did.

This region has to progress, and with a sound that it can own. Or better yet, artists out here just need to be themselves before they try to score a hit or "bring it back to the golden era". This whole town has gotten so industry and so hung up on itself that there's very few people making music for the music first; it's become more science than art, and everyone's thinking too much. I think that's why all the heat is coming from other places, because growing up here all that nonsense is pre-programmed into your brain before you even write your first 16 or make your first beat. Everyone imitates, everyone tries to ride waves, and no one is just following their own gut and taste. Until THAT happens, I'm not holding my breath for the next NYC golden era...

No cliffs, either. Just my $0.02. Back to your regularly scheduled venom...

Oh look another thread to bash the NY rappers again :rolleyes yaaaaaaaa everybody from other regions please join in the fun and vent your frustrations.

No 1 state is running hip hop anymore the Internet and other technology put that **** to rest awhile ago so there is really no argument about which STATE is winning. Now if you wanna lump 5/6 states together and claim they're winning that's an entirely different argument.

We get it NY days of rappers puffing out there chests because they're from NY like its an advantage are long gone.

Please name a state in the u.s. that runs hip hop :nerd: , some may have an artist or two doing it big but they're far from RUNNING anything.

That's been my point.

Rap is spread out and is no longer regional. Probably the hottest rapper is from Toronto.

The biggest "new" rapper is Macklemore from Washington.

It's not even the late 90's when you had Cash Money and No Limit dropping album after album monthly. No Limit dropped albums like Nike drops Jordan retros.
or when Houston, had Paul Wall, Slim Thug, Lil Flip, Chamillionare all poppin.

Rap has a few main artist, and a bunch of fly by night rappers you won't care about in a year or two.

This is all true.

I just think some of these NY rappers be sounding real desperate when they jump on these down south beats. Like Juelz God Willin tape. That **** was just pathetic how hard dude was tryna sound like Yo Gotti+2 Chainz with a Meek Mill flow. I thought Fab did a great job on The Soul Tape 2 making something that sounds like NY but not that old sound.

I mess with Action Bronson heavy but I doubt the mainstream will ever pay attention to him. Joey Bad*** can spit but these 20 & under dudes don't wanna those 1993 beats.

Cool to know that you're a fan of rocky...

Hardly..that clown is hot garbage. I was being sarcastic tho..

This is all true.

I just think some of these NY rappers be sounding real desperate when they jump on these down south beats. Like Juelz God Willin tape. That **** was just pathetic how hard dude was tryna sound like Yo Gotti+2 Chainz with a Meek Mill flow. I thought Fab did a great job on The Soul Tape 2 making something that sounds like NY but not that old sound.

I mess with Action Bronson heavy but I doubt the mainstream will ever pay attention to him. Joey Bad*** can spit but these 20 & under dudes don't wanna those 1993 beats.

He did, that was one of his best tapes. Why he can't put together a retail album that sounds like that tho, beyond me.

Soul Tape 2 is exactly what a 2013 New York sound should be.

Last edited:
Listen guys, I'm not saying wear a dress.

But i AM saying it's 2013 and NYC needs to get with the times.

The old heads HATE the young heads except for a select few. They don't even acknowledge the younger cats.

Papoose was on the radio saying he has no idea who the Flatbush Zombies were. That's messed up, because he has no interest in knowing about the young Brooklyn rappers that are actually making noise.

Plus older cats are SO quick to call any dude under 30 who isn't a hardened criminal soft.

As much as dudes aren't still wearing throwbacks and two-toned du rags, they still have that same mentality.

If the West still rapped on G-Funk beats with Ice-T level rhymes we'd be the laughing stock of hip hop.

Lol I'm laughing at the thought of west coast dudes still rapping over those g funk eazy e type beats. Like maaan we need to bring that real ish back :lol:

New York doesn't need to completely change its sound but damn let go of the past sheesh. Innovate. Keep your roots put update the sound. Be marketable.

Dude who said 50 was the last King of NY was right.

you serious about action? da man sound like a illmatic cook book w/ a ghostface esque flow

joell ortiz is a modern version of pun, and before pun there wasn't anyone like him, both rock NY raps and sound extreme hence why joel always on da radio
So you saying they can bring NY back on the map?

IMO french has the new new york sound on lock, or did when he was still doing mixtapes . . .

Those anthems with the ambient pop samples and 808s . . .

Reminds me of an updated Dipset/Heatmakers sound . . . French is cool for what he is (catchy anthem records to ride to) but a semi-lyrical dude over these types of beats would be money . . . If Juelz would have just rapped over these types of beats on even half of God Willin'
mean.gif
woulda been so much better

^ Yeah I agree on French. He gets put in that "You sound like you from the south" box cuz of his singles but all of his tapes and the Coke Boys tapes have a NY sound to 'em.

I wonder where Max B would be in the game if he didn't get locked up. He was a dope all around artist with own style and sound.

Last edited:
Actually I can say Rap was more entertaining to me when it was region based. NY, ATL, Houston, LA.... when dudes was GRINDING to make it.... there was classic stuff going on bruh especially in regards to commercial rap.

I echo this all the time. Ahhhhh, the days of rappers who didn't come off assembly lines. Those days are dead.

Juelz Santans's 'God Will'n' :x The only mixtape more embarrassing than that in 2013 was Ludacris' #IDGAF

Ditto Maximus

That mixtape French sound :pimp: That French album :x :smh: Thanks Diddy

Last edited:
you serious about action? da man sound like a illmatic cook book w/ a ghostface esque flow

joell ortiz is a modern version of pun, and before pun there wasn't anyone like him, both rock NY raps and sound extreme hence why joel always on da radio

Right there, we've already paralleled the two most "original" NY rappers with Illmatic, Ghost and Pun. Hm.

this is over his head.

Only reason why French has NY onlock cause he went southpaw with his style adding NY Flava to mix it up with

But at the end of the day MAX B & STACK Bundles was NY last hope

So you saying they can bring NY back on the map?
never understood how "ny needs to be back" we ALWAYS got people in contemporary hiphop doing with they doing.

this argument only holds weight if you subsribe to da notion that "hiphop only matters in da clubs and on da radio"

once upon a time, all these dark moody mobb deep beats ALL played in clubs, so club music as a term is subjective itself.

NYC is cool, we dont have to dump our herritage...look at all those french tapes, people forgot da MAJORITY of his tapes is STRAIGHT NY

This argument is tired as ever , especially since NYC has the most young talent in the country right now . In 2-3 years this discussion is gonna be laughable

Back
Top Bottom