Charlemagne Tha God speaking real on why NY rappers are not winning right now . . . this can also ap

Dudes in here talking out of their ***** trying to defend a lack of originality and creativity coming out of NYC.

Dude rocking jean shorts and Timbs in the summer time is an accurate way to describe it.

Lol probably less than 10% dress like that out here. May not be on top musically but NYC will always be on top when it comes to fashion period

Nobody said get rid of the sound, just update it. Grow with the sound. 80's NY rap was awesome and the sound updated in the 90s and in the early 00. However I don't even know what current NY hip hop sounds sounds like. Your top rappers rap on southern beats with southern flares. NY has its own culture why haven't your rappers been able to show the rest of the world what NY is like in 2013? Boom bap is cool and will always be cool, but you can always grow and still be you.

I think you make some good points here.

I have heard people say NY needs to get away from the boom bap for one which is ridiculous. However you point about NY rappers rapping on Southern beats with Southern flares etc is spot on and that right there is the problem. Talib Kweli said it best when he posed the question as to when NY rappers were going to stop rapping over southern beats?

No disrespect to the South and their music at all but that is not the NY sound. Clearly artists have been going for that sound because thats what they believe the masses want to hear on the radio and if they make music that is authentic to their region then they won't get played on the radio.

There are progressive NY sounds out there. Joey did it on his last mixtape Summer Knights which had a way more progressive NY sound than his first mixtape and so did The Underachievers on their first project (ironically on their latest project the rhymed almost exclusively over Trap Beats). Action Bronson who I have seen mentioned in this thread is another person as well who I believe is progressing the NY sound.

While dudes still bicker about the relevancy of NY hip hop...dudes from other regions are moving along at a brisk pace which further leaves NY in the dust. 

Some of you seem to be talking about production and others rapping.

There are no Marley Marl, Bomb Squad, Premo, Pete Rock, Diamond, Buckwild, RZA or Havoc in New York now. They were the New York sound. That's the "sound". Producers aren't the same anymore, because anybody can do it. So the shelf life is short like rappers. Now producers have a sound, it gets used up and thrown away. That's why Just and Timbaland have had to keep reinventing themselves. Most producers now aren't talent enough to do that. The biggest difference now and in the 90's is the production has changed. It's moved out of the streets and in to the clubs.

That Action Bronson "sound" is Harry Fraud, Alchemist(even though he's from Cali) or whoever else he decides to work with. The same with Meyhem and AG.

I'm not sure why dudes act like Action Bronson is doing something brand new, original and different.

Dudes get one name and keep repeating it over and over like it's the new fad.

While dudes still bicker about the relevancy of NY hip hop...dudes from other regions are moving along at a brisk pace which further leaves NY in the dust. 

Yeah, because we all win with

Migos and Rich Homie Quan

Yeah, because we all win with

Migos and Rich Homie Quan
pimp.gif

What some think how NYCers walk and talk like is never not funny. Always someone from some other region telling NYCers how NYC is.

NY just needs someone who's marketable. Just stick with their NY sound and style.

Some of you seem to be talking about production and others rapping.

There are no Marley Marl, Bomb Squad, Premo, Pete Rock, Diamond, Buckwild, RZA or Havoc in New York now. They were the New York sound. That's the "sound". Producers aren't the same anymore, because anybody can do it. So the shelf life is short like rappers. Now producers have a sound, it gets used up and thrown away. That's why Just and Timbaland have had to keep reinventing themselves. Most producers now aren't talent enough to do that. The biggest difference now and in the 90's is the production has changed. It's moved out of the streets and in to the clubs.

That Action Bronson "sound" is Harry Fraud, Alchemist(even though he's from Cali) or whoever else he decides to work with. The same with Meyhem and AG.

I'm not sure why dudes act like Action Bronson is doing something brand new, original and different.

Dudes get one name and keep repeating it over and over like it's the new fad.
DJ Webstar!

Oh look another thread to bash the NY rappers again :rolleyes yaaaaaaaa everybody from other regions please join in the fun and vent your frustrations.

No 1 state is running hip hop anymore the Internet and other technology put that **** to rest awhile ago so there is really no argument about which STATE is winning. Now if you wanna lump 5/6 states together and claim they're winning that's an entirely different argument.

We get it NY days of rappers puffing out there chests because they're from NY like its an advantage are long gone.

Please name a state in the u.s. that runs hip hop :nerd: , some may have an artist or two doing it big but they're far from RUNNING anything.

Well regardless if their music is on the radio, you have to understand that NY is one of if not the biggest market for all music. With that said, they will always have a foot in the door. The issue is getting their other foot back in.
WRONG.  THE INTERNET IS THE BIGGEST. BELIEVE THAT

you serious about action? da man sound like a illmatic cook book w/ a ghostface esque flow

joell ortiz is a modern version of pun, and before pun there wasn't anyone like him, both rock NY raps and sound extreme hence why joel always on da radio

Not sure how you can say they are original but then say they sound like people from the past....... :rolleyes

The problem is that it's a comparison of several states to one city.

So the south is going to have a sound

be it Miami, Houston, New Orleans or Atlanta...because it's gone in a cycle of what was hot. There really is no reinvention, it's just rotated. What was the reinvention in Atlanta, crunk and trap?
*****!!! Where is the reinvention in ATL?

Outkast my *****??? Where have you been & do I need to continue w/examples?

Janelle Monea, BOB....You can't be serious with that statement.

Last edited:

Calm down brother. 

You gonna kill yourself over there. 

Oh look another thread to bash the NY rappers again :rolleyes yaaaaaaaa everybody from other regions please join in the fun and vent your frustrations.

No 1 state is running hip hop anymore the Internet and other technology put that **** to rest awhile ago so there is really no argument about which STATE is winning. Now if you wanna lump 5/6 states together and claim they're winning that's an entirely different argument.

We get it NY days of rappers puffing out there chests because they're from NY like its an advantage are long gone.

Please name a state in the u.s. that runs hip hop :nerd: , some may have an artist or two doing it big but they're far from RUNNING anything.

That's been my point.

Rap is spread out and is no longer regional. Probably the hottest rapper is from Toronto.

The biggest "new" rapper is Macklemore from Washington.

It's not even the late 90's when you had Cash Money and No Limit dropping album after album monthly. No Limit dropped albums like Nike drops Jordan retros.
or when Houston, had Paul Wall, Slim Thug, Lil Flip, Chamillionare all poppin.

Rap has a few main artist, and a bunch of fly by night rappers you won't care about in a year or two.

Janelle Monae and BOB are rap?

And didn't Janelle Monae and BOB both move the same way J Cole or Cudi did?

Outkast, that's the 90's. Have you read any of the discussion or did you just skim it?

Last edited:
Converse starting with the original basketball sneaker...

See how the era changes?

pimp.gif

But that's dead. I love the 90's early 00's like you my man. 

It hurt me when it died too...
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom