Charlemagne Tha God speaking real on why NY rappers are not winning right now . . . this can also ap

If the West still rapped on G-Funk beats with Ice-T level rhymes we'd be the laughing stock of hip hop.

The West also had people like Heiro and Del, and that's closer to what TDE is

This thread again?

New York sound played out? To each his own. I'll take boom bap over that garbage pushed by the mainstream. Macklemore and Big Sean are hardly lyrical. No one would classify them as such. Sean is another swag rapper.

New York shouldn't have to abandon its sound. It needs someone who is marketable. There are plenty of cats who can rap but can they sell records is the question?

Totally agree

What I never understand about the criticism regarding NY is why does NY has to abandon its sound?!

Why can't the sound progress but still have the essence of what it is. Boom bap is the NY sound. Nobody tells the South to give up their sound or the West Coast to change their sound so why does NY have to?!

Sorry but this is something I just don't understand. I understand that their has to be progression but there is a difference between progression and abandoning your sound.

Yep

I gotta disagree - if you're making music that sounds like it could have been made in '92, that's corny. New York never updated its sound, it just started hopping on other trends that originated in other regions. There's no need to abandon your heritage, but you have to build on it as well. I feel like Kendrick made a more "New York's Sound Updated" record with GKMC, and Cole with Born Sinner, than any New York artist in recent history. NYC is notorious for holding on to what made it great while the rest of the world moves on...

Also, I think Charlemagne is sharp. He acts like a fool half the time for comic relief but I think he has a lot of great things to say. I'd love to see him one day drop the shtick and be a cultural critic or something, I dig his perspective in these Vlad videos.

One of the main problems with New York rap is the production.

What got played in clubs and on the radio in the 90's isn't getting played in 2013. If a New York rapper raps over a song playable for the radio today, it will be a down south beat. Music is made for strip clubs now.

you serious about action? da man sound like a illmatic cook book w/ a ghostface esque flow

joell ortiz is a modern version of pun, and before pun there wasn't anyone like him, both rock NY raps and sound extreme hence why joel always on da radio

And what exactly is original about that?

If you can say someone sounds like ...... that's not originality

ny radio should push action bronson hard. he's the answer IMHO.

No he's not

What radio or club song has he made?

He hasn't displayed any versatility to make anything other than a mixtape. Much less to appeal to people to get 500,000 people to buy his work.

Last edited:

you serious about action? da man sound like a illmatic cook book w/ a ghostface esque flow

joell ortiz is a modern version of pun, and before pun there wasn't anyone like him, both rock NY raps and sound extreme hence why joel always on da radio

And what exactly is original about that?

If you can say someone sounds like ...... that's not originality
his style is RARE, if his only comparison is a dead person then yes, he's original especially in this "me 2 molly" music era.

bottom line is da da news of NY rap's demise is highly exaggerated.

his style is RARE, if his only comparison is a dead person then yes, he's original especially in this "me 2 molly" music era.

You know who Kool G Rap is?

Originality is

Nore, Busta, Ghost...

That's originality

Last edited:
This thread again?

New York sound played out? To each his own. I'll take boom bap over that garbage pushed by the mainstream. Macklemore and Big Sean are hardly lyrical. No one would classify them as such. Sean is another swag rapper.

New York shouldn't have to abandon its sound. It needs someone who is marketable. There are plenty of cats who can rap but can they sell records is the question?
thats the point... that sound isnt marketable

most new york rappers too hood for they own good still tallying up how many bodies they can catch in a verse... nobody wants to hear that

thats the point... that sound isnt marketable

most new york rappers too hood for they own good still tallying up how many bodies they can catch in a verse... nobody wants to hear that

Are you serious?

TI, Jeezy, 2 Chainz, Ross, Gucci?

Down south rap exploded when they started rapping about THEIR streets and environment

Dudes act like Currensy and Krit are selling millions and popping in the streets

Last edited:
Are you serious?

TI, Jeezy, 2 Chainz, Ross, Gucci?

Down south rap exploded when they started rapping about THEIR streets and environment

Dudes act like Currensy and Krit are selling millions and popping in the streets

jeezy, 2 chainz, ross, and gucci are really only hot in the streets... check their sales...

ti sells but thats not the stuff that makes him sell...

trust me you'll get a lot more radio play rapping about chicks and/or money

jeezy, 2 chainz, ross, and gucci are really only hot in the streets... check their sales...

ti sells but thats not the stuff that makes him sell...

trust me you'll get a lot more radio play rapping about chicks and/or money

Check their sales? They're gold artist besides Gucci.

Who is getting more radio play than 2 Chainz and Ross? Drake? Jay-Z? Future?

Drake is the only one rapping to chicks, besides Nicki.

and Em crushes everyone, and he doesn't rap to chicks.

Dudes in here talking out of their ***** trying to defend a lack of originality and creativity coming out of NYC.

Dude rocking jean shorts and Timbs in the summer time is an accurate way to describe it.

Thats why the south been winning since the crunk era, theyre always reinventing their sound, while a ny artist is only valid based on if he sounds like the 90s, french doesnt sound like a southern rapper his music is just up to date, while you got a rapper that was barely old enough to remember the golden era trying to make that sound because hes being brainwashed by " we need to bring 90s hip hop back"

Check their sales? They're gold artist besides Gucci.

Who is getting more radio play than 2 Chainz and Ross? Drake? Jay-Z? Future?

Drake is the only one rapping to chicks, besides Nicki.

and Em crushes everyone, and he doesn't rap to chicks.

you're right about the sales... i didnt realize they were doing numbers like that... but its not that street talk thats selling the records... check the singles

and tip makes PLENTY of chick cuts...

we all know why eminem sells and it has nothing to do with his terrible music

Thats why the south been winning since the crunk era, theyre always reinventing their sound, while a ny artist is only valid based on if he sounds like the 90s, french doesnt sound like a southern rapper his music is just up to date, while you got a rapper that was barely old enough to remember the golden era trying to make that sound because hes being brainwashed by " we need to bring 90s hip hop back"

The problem is that it's a comparison of several states to one city.

So the south is going to have a sound

be it Miami, Houston, New Orleans or Atlanta...because it's gone in a cycle of what was hot. There really is no reinvention, it's just rotated. What was the reinvention in Atlanta, crunk and trap?

The problem is that it's a comparison of several states to one city.

So the south is going to have a sound

be it Miami, Houston, New Orleans or Atlanta...because it's gone in a cycle of what was hot. There really is no reinvention, it's just rotated. What was the reinvention in Atlanta, crunk and trap?
Are you serious? Southern rap changes. Lil Jon crunk era doesn't sound like current southern rap music. 90s houston rap doesn't sound like current houston rap. Miami rap SOUNDS nothing like 90s miami rap. It grows. It keeps the same feeling of energy, but the sound grows. Thats why the south is still winning because sure a sound may be the thing for a time being (lex luger sound), but eventually it develops and becomes something new.

What is the current NY sound? Something that would get NY rappers on stations outside of the tri state area? The sound needs to grow.

Its 2013 nobody gives a **** about NY, y'all are entitled to nothing. :rolleyes

its not like before where the whole music industry, and tools you needed to my high quality music were all in NY, people can make music with a laptop and a $100 microphone, in their living rooms in ANY part of the world, NY'ers no longer in control, and you no longer have an advantage over anyone.

New York reign is OVER and it will NEVER come back, you will NEVER dominate the industry like you once did.

Long live people who make GOOD music, regardless of region.

Its 2013 nobody gives a **** about NY, y'all are entitled to nothing.
eyes.gif

its not like before where the whole music industry, and tools you needed to my high quality music were all in NY, people can make music with a laptop and a $100 microphone, in their living rooms in ANY part of the world, NY'ers no longer in control, and you no longer have an advantage over anyone.

New York reign is OVER and it will NEVER come back, you will NEVER dominate the industry like you once did.

Long live people who make GOOD music, regardless of region.
Well regardless if their music is on the radio, you have to understand that NY is one of if not the biggest market for all music. With that said, they will always have a foot in the door. The issue is getting their other foot back in.

Well regardless if their music is on the radio, you have to understand that NY is one of if not the biggest market for all music. With that said, they will always have a foot in the door. The issue is getting their other foot back in.

nah man, im telling you.

If you live in NY, hot 97 doesn't control what you listen to, people have iphones, spotify, ipods, you control it, NY is listning to 2chainz, Drake, J Cole and Big Sean like the rest of america and they don't give a rats *** it doesn't matter where your from.

It wouldn't make a difference, ASAP rocky is here making houston screw inspired music and nobody is like wait a minute how come you don't sound like Joey Bad*****.

NOBODY CARES about NY.

ITS OVER.

Make good music, all this existentialist worrying about the state of NY hiphop is soooo stupid.

Are you serious? Southern rap changes. Lil Jon crunk era doesn't sound like current southern rap music. 90s houston rap doesn't sound like current houston rap. Miami rap SOUNDS nothing like 90s miami rap. It grows. It keeps the same feeling of energy, but the sound grows. Thats why the south is still winning because sure a sound may be the thing for a time being (lex luger sound), but eventually it develops and becomes something new.

What is the current NY sound? Something that would get NY rappers on stations outside of the tri state area? The sound needs to grow.

It hasn't grown.

Houston rap isn't popular nationwide anymore.

Who is nationwide from Miami besides Rick Ross? Ace Hood? Did he sell 100,000?

New Orleans is Lil Wayne, but there is no Cash Money No Limit late 90's era anymore.

Atlanta has been the one consistent in southern rap. And how has Atlanta rap changed so much over the past ten years?

You know who Kool G Rap is?

Originality is

Nore, Busta, Ghost...

That's originality
nore? lol....busta? lol....

bottomline is NY is fine, are vets still rocking out and we got a new young crop of youngsters making noise
smokin.gif

It hasn't grown.

Houston rap isn't popular nationwide anymore.

Who is nationwide from Miami besides Rick Ross? Ace Hood? Did he sell 100,000?

New Orleans is Lil Wayne, but there is no Cash Money No Limit late 90's era anymore.

Atlanta has been the one consistent in southern rap. And how has Atlanta rap changed so much over the past ten years?

Atl had crunk music, trap and snap the last 10 years running the game, snap music had the ringtone era on lock, everybody had a crank that and soulja still eating off that

Trap music just lasted longer because its more nationwide and to be a "real street *****" you have to make that type of music

Right there, we've already paralleled the two most "original" NY rappers with Illmatic, Ghost and Pun. Hm.

Back
Top Bottom