Charlemagne Tha God speaking real on why NY rappers are not winning right now . . . this can also ap

meek meals

Banned
 ​
Cliffs:​
 ​
- No excuse to blame your lack of a career because you are "lyrical" when Kendrick, Cole, Drake, Wale, Macklemore, Big Sean are among the most popular rappers right now.​
 ​
- NY artists are stuck in the 90's instead of trying to move a sound forward.​

Last edited:
I said this a while back. It's not NY rappers that are played out. It's the New York sound. Either have to conform to the current sound or bring something new to the table. The next really big NYC rapper will be the one who brings something we haven't heard to the table, sonically speaking as well as lyrically. NY rap is overdue for a renaissance. Boom bap, needs to evolve.

90's rap ain't played out, its just not being played on da radio.

ebro explained it better.

i dont feel you have to trash your heritage just to fit in to whats da flavor of da week.

90's rap ain't played out, its just not being played on da radio.

ebro explained it better.

i dont feel you have to trash your heritage just to fit in to whats da flavor of da week.

I gotta disagree - if you're making music that sounds like it could have been made in '92, that's corny. New York never updated its sound, it just started hopping on other trends that originated in other regions. There's no need to abandon your heritage, but you have to build on it as well. I feel like Kendrick made a more "New York's Sound Updated" record with GKMC, and Cole with Born Sinner, than any New York artist in recent history. NYC is notorious for holding on to what made it great while the rest of the world moves on...

Also, I think Charlemagne is sharp. He acts like a fool half the time for comic relief but I think he has a lot of great things to say. I'd love to see him one day drop the shtick and be a cultural critic or something, I dig his perspective in these Vlad videos.

Rappers from NY either A.) Wanna be stuck in the 90's or B.) Wanna hop on whatever new trend there is.

Name a NY rapper that's even been somewhat original in the last decade?.....Don't worry I'll wait.

If anything NY rappers should've jumped on the non-thug lyrical rapper movement with KL, Wale, and Cole....but NOPE couldn't even catch that wave.

Listen... It's the damn Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y. The quality hasn't been there for years. Anyone can rhyme. But what are you saying? What's are you conveying? Are you making people dance? Are you making people think? Are you making people feel happy? Are you making people feel sad? Content and context.

aside from jayz, ny dont make hot songs that attract a national audience. besides french montana and a$ap make bumps aint no ny/nj rappers making any moves in hiphop. they are there but they worried about being lyrical they can't make a hit song to save they life. 

charlemagne finally came with a statement thats serious that i can agree with

Damn, Charlemagne came with some knowledge. As far as this "Next Gen" era of rappers is concerned, Rocky's the only NY cat that I feel brings it. But even he has a southern flare to him.

What I never understand about the criticism regarding NY is why does NY has to abandon its sound?!

Why can't the sound progress but still have the essence of what it is. Boom bap is the NY sound. Nobody tells the South to give up their sound or the West Coast to change their sound so why does NY have to?!

Sorry but this is something I just don't understand. I understand that their has to be progression but there is a difference between progression and abandoning your sound.

This thread again?

New York sound played out? To each his own. I'll take boom bap over that garbage pushed by the mainstream. Macklemore and Big Sean are hardly lyrical. No one would classify them as such. Sean is another swag rapper.

New York shouldn't have to abandon its sound. It needs someone who is marketable. There are plenty of cats who can rap but can they sell records is the question?

New York shouldn't have to abandon its sound. It needs someone who is marketable. There are plenty of cats who can rap but can they sell records is the question?

Glad someone else agrees and I concur regarding the marketability.

There are some dope artists like Joey Bad***** and The Underachievers who have been progressing the NY sound instead of just jumping over some Southern style beat just so they can get played on the radio. Honestly I did the NY sound and the lyrical artists that are progressing the sound and can care less about the radio because I don't listen to it anyways.

What I never understand about the criticism regarding NY is why does NY has to abandon its sound?!

Why can't the sound progress but still have the essence of what it is. Boom bap is the NY sound. Nobody tells the South to give up their sound or the West Coast to change their sound so why does NY have to?!

Sorry but this is something I just don't understand. I understand that their has to be progression but there is a difference between progression and abandoning your sound.
Nobody said get rid of the sound, just update it. Grow with the sound. 80's NY rap was awesome and the sound updated in the 90s and in the early 00. However I don't even know what current NY hip hop sounds sounds like. Your top rappers rap on southern beats with southern flares. NY has its own culture why haven't your rappers been able to show the rest of the world what NY is like in 2013? Boom bap is cool and will always be cool, but you can always grow and still be you.

If the West still rapped on G-Funk beats with Ice-T level rhymes we'd be the laughing stock of hip hop.

Glad someone else agrees and I concur regarding the marketability.

There are some dope artists like Joey Bad***** and The Underachievers who have been progressing the NY sound instead of just jumping over some Southern style beat just so they can get played on the radio. Honestly I did the NY sound and the lyrical artists that are progressing the sound and can care less about the radio because I don't listen to it anyways.
But Joey is currently just a rapper with a retro sound. I believe he could grow into more, but right now when I hear him I just get a retro feel which is good, but still not different enough to attract the masses. 50 was the perfect blend of Old NY and Southern hip hop. Dude was Queens all the way but the southern drawl from his accident and his grand parents southern influence made him universal. Dude was the last NY King.

NY is coming up.

Flatbush Zombies, Underachievers, World's Fair.

But those groups are still unknown. One of em (or someone in the same vain) is gonna get more popular and I fear NYers will have that crabs in a bucket mentality and shoot them down. But if they prove me wrong NY's future looks brighter than these past years.

And please, Macklemore is only where he is because of his skin color. The crowd that buys his music will never dial to 97 or 105.

Bronson should be up next for New York. He can rap and he has a ton of personality. If there's a new renaissance, he should be at the forefront.

Last edited:
Rappers from NY either A.) Wanna be stuck in the 90's or B.) Wanna hop on whatever new trend there is.

Name a NY rapper that's even been somewhat original in the last decade?.....Don't worry I'll wait.
action bronson.

& joel ortiz.

Last edited:
Yes Ninja Hood is right. I aint concerned about CthaGod's opinion on things...........

This foo thinks future makes good music *****

Last edited:
Hip hop as a whole has been pretty good recently...I'm from nc so I don't really give a **** about the regional **** ...overall there's been some :pimp: music dropping

Back
Top Bottom