Can we get a R&B/Soul/Neo-Soul thread?

Episode 2 of the D'Angelo - ?uestlove super jam from Bonnaroo last year... This band is full of killers man.... Pino Palladino on bass?!?!!! Eric Leeds on sax (from Prince's band)??!!!! & frickin' Jesse Johnson on guitar (from The Time)!?!!

Roberta Flack - To Love Someone

This is a great cover of the Bee Gee's classic. I dare say it's better than the original. This song closed out last night's episode of The Americans on FX... :smokin

Posted some Remy Shand before in the thread... Whole album was 
pimp.gif

Another UK artist. Laura Mvula -Green Garden.
I haven't really listened to much of her, but her album is available on npr to stream. Going to do that while at work

Last edited:
Y'all hear of Nick Waterhouse? Just found out about him today. Dude is really nice, has an album out called Times All Gone

Fabrizio Sotti - The Wind Cries Mary ft Melanie Fiona

Great cover of the Hendrix classic ft my wife :pimp:

Lil behind the scenes vignette:

I will def be checking out his project when it drops in May

Last edited:
Tuck & Patti - Castles Made Of Sand / Little Wing & Europa

I just don't think anyone should cover Jimi. He's one of the few handful of artists that people can't do any justice to covering his material. That sounded very generic to me & Melanie Fiona needs to work on her phrasing. All these young singers try to throw in too much vibrato to show how well they can sing. They often confuse vocal rolls & excessive vibrato as singing with emotion.

This is the only cover I've ever heard that did any justice to Jimi. I was very fortunate to have seen them live a couple of times in the mid 90s. Tuck Andress is an amazing guitarist. Just an amazingly inventive player with a style all his own. His cover of Santana's Europa is flat out genius & a virtuoso performance. I've posted these in the jazz thread. Hope someone enjoys.

Gotta post the Hendrix originals.

Last edited:
^Yeah I kinda see what you mean.. Melanie didn't necessarily have the best performance on this song. I felt like the instrumentation created a cool mellow vibe though.

Those covers were really good. I saw on wiki that the dude's daughter is the artist St. Vincent, I have a few of her albums. It's pretty good indie rock/pop-type music..

Some Aloe Blacc:

Last edited:
Lionel Richie - Love Will Find A Way

Was listening to Pete Rock's Hot 97 Black Fist Friday DJ set from a couple of years back & heard this...

Back
Top Bottom