california Mandating 1.4 million electric cars by 2025 VOL. we tell you what to drive

Meanwhile da earth was warmer centuries ago with

Zero cars pre industrial revolution...
grin.gif

Can't wait till they build that keystone pipeline
pimp.gif

In the mean time, while city dwellers play self righteous with their vehicles.  The lower class will be forced to give up their cars because they won't be able to afford the maintenance and repairs on an expensive electric car.  Farmers will be further squeezed by the regulations to their vehicles.  And the trucking industry will be killed off because it will cost $100K to retrofit their trucks.  And all because the majority of our pollution is coming from China.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

In the mean time, while city dwellers play self righteous with their vehicles.  The lower class will be forced to give up their cars because they won't be able to afford the maintenance and repairs on an expensive electric car.  Farmers will be further squeezed by the regulations to their vehicles.  And the trucking industry will be killed off because it will cost $100K to retrofit their trucks.  And all because the majority of our pollution is coming from China.

Radical environmentalist are just as bad as radical evangelicals..Forcing their beliefs on people & creating bad policy as a result.China is just gonna bankrupt all da green efforts because its gonna underCut any kinds of manufacturing...and what are da tree huggers gonna do? CrawlTo da government. For more subsidized funding.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

grin.gif

pimp.gif
Can't wait for what?  Are you gonna get a job there?

Originally Posted by cguy610

grin.gif

pimp.gif

More infrastructure = more cheap gasMore cheap gas = more powerful engines & purchasing powerFor da consumer to buy other *** & grow da economyBetter economy = more v8 muscle cars
pimp.gif

grin.gif

pimp.gif

More infrastructure = more cheap gasMore cheap gas = more powerful engines & purchasing powerFor da consumer to buy other *** & grow da economyBetter economy = more v8 muscle cars
pimp.gif
You really think a pipeline will lower gas prices. 
laugh.gif
  We are an exporter of gasoline.

http://www.npr.org/2011/1...-exports-surpass-imports

For the first time in more than six decades, the United States is exporting more gasoline and diesel than it imports.

To be clear, we're talking about finished petroleum products, not crude oil. The U.S. still imports about half the crude it consumes.

Here's more on your great pipeline. 

However, according to researchers at the CornellUniversity Global Labor Institute, TransCanada, the proposed manufacturersof the pipeline, admitted that "KXL will increase the price of heavy crude oilin the Midwest by almost $2 to $4 billion annually." The Cornell studyexplains that this will happen as a result of "diverting major volumes of TarSands oil now supplying the Midwest refineries, so it can be sold at higherprices to the Gulf Coast and export markets."
http://www.ilr.cornell.ed...KeystoneXL_Reportpdf.pdf

That's why I asked were you gonna work there or something. 

Congress is tryin to get it packaged into da next payroll cut/Infracture

Bill...Senator Harry Reid said he wouldn't pass it unless there was language

In da bill that STATED da inly place that oil cab be used in da contnental

United States...
pimp.gif

Woth da prez havin veto power & da dems controllin da Senate they will

Make sure that's da case.

grin.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

**Drop-in fuel is a fuel alternative that will work with today's cars.

Our world is evolving, and it will always evolve; this process of evolution applies to fuels, as well.  Take into consideration the oil shock of the 1970s and how brazil turned to biofuels such as sugarcane (whom is now a biofuel superpower).  America, who was unwilling to welcome change and new practices created subsidies and tariffs that kept out the brazilian alternative and pushed for its maize produced ethanol which is less efficient with more detrimental consequences from its production.  
Shell has teamed up with Dr. Alan Shaw, the boss of Codexis, which creates enzymes that converts chemicals such as cellulose into sugar which is then able to produce drop-in fuel.

Total (of france), has a joint venture with Amyris which is also creating drop-in biodiesel fuels.

The greatest giant of them all, ExxonMobil has a joint venture with Synthethic Genomics (Craig Venter) as well as Solazyme whom are working on algae-based fuel.

BP and Gevo, of Colorado, are working on producing butanol which provides more energy per mass unit than ethanol and is more efficient to produce.

LS9 and Virent, both of which located within the US, are also working on synthesizing straight chained alkanes to use as fuel.

The era of post-ethanol fuel will slowly make its transition.  These huge fossil fuel conglomerates know that a change is coming, and they are fully aware that the first ones to create the most efficient and cost-effective alternative will make an ungodly amount of money.  

Why else would they invest so much money in these scientific joint ventures?  They aren't sticking around to push for the Middle East or Canada anymore.

There are fuel alternatives out there, and these companies understand that people don't want to buy new cars to run on this fuel, hence the term "drop-in fuel" which will work just the same as today's fuel.

I don't understand why you're so deadset on fossil fuels.  The only rationale I could come up with is that you hate change and will never accept it, that's why you still have a myspace link in your signature, but other than that, change can be a good thing.  Evolution and adaptation will always prevail regardless of how hard you try and keep things the same.

The only constant is change" -Issac Asimov

Lastly, your argument for the Canada pipeline is flawed.  You said that Canada has enough oil to last the US 300 years, but who said that Canada would only be exporting to the US?

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Originally Posted by finnns2003

I wish we had a rolling eyes emoticon so I could post 100 of them. Oh brother, YOU don't see anything above 175hp as practical so YOU are content.

If that wasn't the case, I couldn't enjoy my EVO or own a car like a GT-R or IS-F. Performance enthusiasts would be out of luck because of ridiculous hippies like yourself that have no clue or idea about anything but "saving the world".
You forgot the part where I said "luxury".  I speak for practicality in terms of a daily driver, while I'm also all for luxury cars if its within one's budget.  I know damn well I'd get a GTR for a weekend driver if I had the funds.
I thought my statement is pretty realistic, but I guess if you want to drive your R8 to work everyday in bumper to bumper traffic then by all means, but you have to question the practicality of it.

but I'm a "hippie" that doesn't know anything 
eyes.gif
Well what about a Porsche 911? Maybe sterile enough, and Porsche is developing hybrids, but let's take baby steps and perfect technology before jumping to conclusions and eliminating luxury cars with over 175hp as you implied. Nothing wrong with daily driving a GT-R.
The thing is, I never said "eliminate luxury cars".
Also, the terms "luxury" and "practical" are subjective, so it's perceived differently by each individual.

I defined practicality as a daily-driver in which the scenario subjects one to bumper to bumper traffic where 300+HP and 3.1s 0-60 has little advantages.

In either case, this isn't an argument because I'm agreeing with you that luxury cars shouldn't be eliminated and I, too, would love a GTR 
laugh.gif

cheers 
pimp.gif

It's one thing to prefer a higher powered gasoline engine and muscle cars... but I don't understand such an adamant resistance on progress. Accepting the possibility of future benefits coming from advancing alternative energy in cars does not automatically make one a weak-minded hippie who hates America
laugh.gif

I never rag on ninjahood during the various debates on Dominican blackness
laugh.gif
or the size of his room, but I'm legitimately perplexed on this case. I'm completely with silly putty on this one. I'm not a radical environmentalist by any means, but I fail to see how prompting advancements in electric cars is such a bad thing. With persistent effort, electric cars will improve and as more dedication is put towards improved styling, pricing, and marketing, the people will buy them.

I might not live long enough to see benefits in this issue, but that doesn't mean I support the resistance to progress. It has to start somewhere. I don't think that makes me complacent or weak-willed or anything else like that...

Originally Posted by Big J 33

It's one thing to prefer a higher powered gasoline engine and muscle cars... but I don't understand such an adamant resistance on progress. Accepting the possibility of future benefits coming from advancing alternative energy in cars does not automatically make one a weak-minded hippie who hates America
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
or the size of his room, but I'm legitimately perplexed on this case. I'm completely with silly putty on this one. I'm not a radical environmentalist by any means, but I fail to see how prompting advancements in electric cars is such a bad thing. With persistent effort, electric cars will improve and as more dedication is put towards improved styling, pricing, and marketing, the people will buy them.

I might not live long enough to see benefits in this issue, but that doesn't mean I support the resistance to progress. It has to start somewhere. I don't think that makes me complacent or weak-willed or anything else like that...

my sentiments exactly

pimp.gif

Our world is evolving, and it will always evolve; this process of evolution applies to fuels, as well.  Take into consideration the oil shock of the 1970s and how brazil turned to biofuels such as sugarcane (whom is now a biofuel superpower).  America, who was unwilling to welcome change and new practices created subsidies and tariffs that kept out the brazilian alternative and pushed for its maize produced ethanol which is less efficient with more detrimental consequences from its production.  
Shell has teamed up with Dr. Alan Shaw, the boss of Codexis, which creates enzymes that converts chemicals such as cellulose into sugar which is then able to produce drop-in fuel.

Total (of france), has a joint venture with Amyris which is also creating drop-in biodiesel fuels.

The greatest giant of them all, ExxonMobil has a joint venture with Synthethic Genomics (Craig Venter) as well as Solazyme whom are working on algae-based fuel.

BP and Gevo, of Colorado, are working on producing butanol which provides more energy per mass unit than ethanol and is more efficient to produce.

LS9 and Virent, both of which located within the US, are also working on synthesizing straight chained alkanes to use as fuel.

The era of post-ethanol fuel will slowly make its transition.  These huge fossil fuel conglomerates know that a change is coming, and they are fully aware that the first ones to create the most efficient and cost-effective alternative will make an ungodly amount of money.  

Why else would they invest so much money in these scientific joint ventures?  They aren't sticking around to push for the Middle East or Canada anymore.

There are fuel alternatives out there, and these companies understand that people don't want to buy new cars to run on this fuel, hence the term "drop-in fuel" which will work just the same as today's fuel.

I don't understand why you're so deadset on fossil fuels.  The only rationale I could come up with is that you hate change and will never accept it, that's why you still have a myspace link in your signature, but other than that, change can be a good thing.  Evolution and adaptation will always prevail regardless of how hard you try and keep things the same.

Lastly, your argument for the Canada pipeline is flawed.  You said that Canada has enough oil to last the US 300 years, but who said that Canada would only be exporting to the US?
I'm not opposed to progress.  But there's a difference between providing an incentive for people to pursue new technologies.  It's something different when a government mandates that its people buy a certain product that isn't "quite there yet" because they believe it's in YOUR best interest.  We hate it when our parents did it growing up.  We hate it when our boss does it.  But yet people are willing to accept it when an agency that's accountable to nobody that's appointed by legislators does it because it's for the greater good?

I'm intrigued though... Are you in the biofuel field?

pimp.gif

I'm not opposed to progress.  But there's a difference between providing an incentive for people to pursue new technologies.  It's something different when a government mandates that its people buy a certain product that isn't "quite there yet" because they believe it's in YOUR best interest.  We hate it when our parents did it growing up.  We hate it when our boss does it.  But yet people are willing to accept it when an agency that's accountable to nobody that's appointed by legislators does it because it's for the greater good?

Ah! I don't think your statement was directed at me, but I'm against government mandated actions, as well.  Then again, someone earlier raised some greats points indicating ways in which the government can easily force our hands.
I'm not in the biofuel field, I just read some great articles this week for my ecology class 
laugh.gif

It's a great eye-opener in terms of new opportunities and adaptations.  I could forward you the two articles, if you want.  They're great reads, and a did a little highlighting if you wanted to just skim.

Just PM me your e-mail, as well as anyone else that's interested

Well, Silly Putty has pretty much shut this down.  Moving toward hybrid/electric cars does more good than harm for the environment and everyone living in it than da "traditional" cars.  I don't even understand why Ninja has a problem with it because Da Heightz aren't in California.  As far as I'm concerned, if people are willing to leave because of this then good riddance.  Car companies, like BMW, Toyota/Lexus, Mercedes, etc., wouldn't be spending money developing these types of cars if they felt the way Ninjahood did.  Besides, does Ninjahood even have a car yet?
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

i aint opposed to drop in fuel at all, and co-sign all of this.

before it went out of civilian production, da H1 alpha's engine ran 7 types of fuel including bio diesels....
pimp.gif

and yea, im adamantly against mandated regulation that doesn't keep da playing field level..da current mandates favor electricity when there's plenty of other competitors..why not let da market decide

whats da best option to fit their needs?

naw...California wants to play da draconian card... 
grin.gif

If California really were serious about a level playing field, they would allow clean diesel vehicles to be sold in the state and would promote flex fuel hybrids rather than just battery powered vehicles.  If the old adage from Watergate is true, "follow the money".  I'm sure someone is paying off Mary Nichols (CARB chair person) to strictly promote battery powered vehicles rather than a vehicle that runs on a combination of sources.

After all... It wouldn't be the first time the ARB was caught in a scandal of falsifying information to push an agenda.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/18/gov-knew-carb-scandal-dec-19-2008/

It is kinda dope that someone is tryin to do smthin. I'm not an environmentalist or anything, but on the federal scene there are some people who don't believe global warming is real so
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

EDIT: and i just read what some of you guys are saying about other fuels and that sounds super legit to me. Don't see why they don't let them all go in.

If California really were serious about a level playing field, they would allow clean diesel vehicles to be sold in the state and would promote flex fuel hybrids rather than just battery powered vehicles.  If the old adage from Watergate is true, "follow the money".  I'm sure someone is paying off Mary Nichols (CARB chair person) to strictly promote battery powered vehicles rather than a vehicle that runs on a combination of sources.

After all... It wouldn't be the first time the ARB was caught in a scandal of falsifying information to push an agenda.

word. Some influential dudes who got stakes in a company that produces these cars, or parts for these cars are making their move. Thats how it always works. While here we are genuinely concerned about the environment. smh

Originally Posted by thejrob

It is kinda dope that someone is tryin to do smthin. I'm not an environmentalist or anything, but on the federal scene there are some people who don't believe global warming is real so
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

EDIT: and i just read what some of you guys are saying about other fuels and that sounds super legit to me. Don't see why they don't let them all go in.
The problem at this point isn't with the desire for alternative fuels necessarily.  It's the infrastructure.  If you want bio-fuel, gas stations have to spend tens or hundreds of thousands to retrofit and upgrade their stations.  Then you run into the problem of which fuels to stock.  Considering most only make money from the convenience items inside the store, that can be quite a feat.  Same goes with recharging electric cars.  It takes upwards of 6 hours to charge and think about people fighting over charging spots.  And who's going to pay for you to charge your car while you're shopping?

Mostly all electric cars have super limited range & LONG recharge time..

Imagine getting stuck in traffic in da summer time...you're gonna tell drivers

About havin to turn off your A/C to extend battery life?
grin.gif

They would have to tow 1/2 a highway off da roads...

"BTW, the government didn't destroy perfectly good cars."

Damn how good does that moonbat kool-aid taste like?

Do you ever get tired of saying stupid little comments like this?

It adds nothing to the discussion, especially when all you're doing is making up data.

1. You asked what does cali being 4 trillion in da hole have to do with

Electric cars? Gee wizz lets start with da fact that this cost MONEY that ya don't

Everything you do cost money.
If you want to spend less money on supporting private transportation, then we should put up financial barriers to people investing in private transportation.

Higher gas tax, higher license fees,...if your complaint is that electric cars cost so much, then why don't you look at the health factors surrounding those who with with vehicles that use gas? higher incidents of respiratory problems and poorer working conditions. All representative of increased costs on society.

Conservatives like you are always ridiculously touting the "this costs money card" as if this ever meant something. Its cool for your GOP buddies to invest close to billions in their own elections but they cry foul when you try to curb our dependence on foreign oil.

You know what also costs money? BUYING OIL FROM OTHER COUNTRIES...but I guess you think thats free too...

Have to build infrastructure for these cars that NO ONE IS BUYING AT ALL according

This is how I KNOW you have no understanding of business.
Its called a loss-leader.

Its an investment that will take a hit initially and over time is pretty much certain to make gains in the future. 

Last time I checked, HDTV prices dropped significantly over the last 10 years, didn't they?

:Lol @ da slander throwing at da chevy volt talkin bout it sucks..it doesn't suck, it just isn't wanted.

So why don't you just say that?
See how you're slightly changing your tune?

At first they were just toasters and pieces of crap, now they're viable machines but you admit its a marketing problem. 

I see we're making progress.

Its like a girl that does everything "right" and u still don't like her because w/e reason.

Its a marketing issue.
If you get more people concerned about the future energy crisis, more will invest in alternative sources of energy.

Stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes have been successful in marketing to the "Green foods" sector of progressives who have "sustainable" ideologies.

Now whether or not their impact is as great as they think it is, IT IS however making more people aware overall of issues that need to be addressed and enhancing the tone of private conversations.
Plus add da fact that da *$!%% is overpriced for common usage especially when u can get a similarly sized

There is only one offering of an electric or hybrid vehicle PER BRAND if they have one at all. There are no choices for consumers.
Only two brands are dedicated to making entirely alternative lines...thats Fisker and Tesla.

Of the brands that do have alternative options, only a handful of them are marketed towards the middle class. BMW and MB and porsche have options, but they're still in the luxury price zone. 

So when you think about it, there isn't even enough competition yet to lower prices. You can't just look at the beginning of an emerging market and make assessments on the ENTIRE shape of future energy policy.

Internal combustion engine for ½ da price.

Internal combustion engines have been around for 100 years.
That 100 years of experimentation, investment and refinement.

But you're giving electric only 5 years, if that to REALLY prove itself? Thats just ridiculous.

What if we scrapped the idea of flight after the wright brothers?

Im willing to bet NO ONE adopts these without da government basically section 8in' 

To da maximum and we'll all have to foot da bill...

You speak like section 8 is a BAD thing inherently.

It still puts people in homes and gives them a sense of autonomy. How they choose to use it however is up to them. 

Its called the social contract theory. Look it up. 
and these companies are Still going

Bankrupt except its with tax payer funds & not private funds..
Except its not. Again this is where you're wrong.
California asked companies to MAKE these vehicles. It doesn't mean that it will happen.

It was a public declaration to spur innovation. Its a clarion call to action. Not a physical hardline mandate. If that was the case we'd all be living on mars 200 years ago.

If people make private investments and lose their money, i'm sorry but it is what it is. Thats how markets work.

However, youre neglecting the fact that some companies add so much value to the united states that to let them fail would make the entire economy crumble. Imagine how many people would be hurting if walmart just stopped business tomorrow. Or if GM just shut down tomorrow? 

Those are vital components to the government...if nothing else, it shows that the government recognizes the importance of private industry and will do what it can to enhance more resonant effects in the population.

There is a concept of social utility that I don't think you're grasping.

Yea silly putty, you keep thinking that people are gonna flock to these

Cars when da Cheap price of gas will always make this niche hippie

Pipe dream impractical for mainstream use...

Gas is the price it is because there is no alternative.

its a monopoly on energy.

And I don't know where you're getting "gas is cheap" from

The price of gas, not even account for inflation, is ridiculously higher than it was even a few years ago. 

Stop making up data. This is getting ridiculous.
hell does California understand

That this country is broke? 
laugh.gif

California understands what it means to be broke more than any other state...so I'm sure any and every action they take to right their situation will be met with criticism and scorn, but you don't get to solve that by not doing ANYTHING.

Radical environmentalist are just as bad as radical evangelicals.. Forcing their beliefs on people & creating bad policy as a result. 
I don't see anyone pulling you out of your car at stop lights and forcing you to ride a bike.

You made the damn topic and you still don't even understand what the mandate asked for.

It wants to encourage the use of alternative energy. 

You need to quit with this false persecution theory you have. No one is FORCING you to do anything. But if you want to breathe asbestos and use DDT on your crops, then keep going ahead and doing so in light of the recommendation NOT to do so. 

Its a free country and stupidity is not illegal, just ill-advised.

Asking for an alternative is not the same as FORCING themselves on you....this is as much of government forcing people to use electric as the civil rights bill was to FORCE black kids to be adopted into white families.

It didn't happen and you're making wild assertions. 

China is just gonna bankrupt all da green efforts because its gonna under Cut any kinds of manufacturing...

Dude, where do you get your information from?
This isn't even true. China is struggling under its own weight because they do stupid crap like building entire cities that dont even get lived in and their real estate market collapses, or they have horrible environmental regulations that are literally killing their own citizens, and theyre frivolously spending money on things that aren' even of quality.

China has a problem of quality, not quantity. Their output is great, but their standards are trash and they're suffering because of it. They have more problems than economic woes that are contributing to their struggle, but to assert that being environmentally sound as the cause? Ridiculous.

If you walk around beijing in a white shirt all day, you'll come back home with a tan shirt. Thats how dirty the air is there.

and what are da tree huggers gonna do? Crawl To da government. For more subsidized funding.

If I remember correctly, don't you live in an apartment that had the rent-limit maxed out? 

Just making sure. 

grin.gif

pimp.gif

More infrastructure = more cheap gas More cheap gas = more powerful engines & purchasing power For da consumer to buy other *** & grow da economy Better economy = more v8 muscle cars 
pimp.gif
You have a piss-poor understanding of resources.

Gas won't get any cheaper. Oil companies have made RECORD profits in the last 2-3 years. The only company breaching the top 10 was Apple, and that was last year only.  

Do your research and learn the facts.

But you haven't answered the question. What happens when we have no more oil or natural gas? Where will your purchasing power go?

What will power your V8 muscle cars?

Air?

Originally Posted by Big J 33

It's one thing to prefer a higher powered gasoline engine and muscle cars... but I don't understand such an adamant resistance on progress. Accepting the possibility of future benefits coming from advancing alternative energy in cars does not automatically make one a weak-minded hippie who hates America 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

My sentiments exactly.

Its like dudes complaining about having to use halogen bulbs instead of incandescent ones in his house, when the new ones are better in every single way.

There is no doubt that capitalism will always take root in emerging fields...

There will be a company that will take the lead on alternative energy to influence policy...just as there was for tobacco and alcohol and oil (which you chose to leave out)

I understand the risks of things like carbon taxes and people feeling like they are being duped even more.

But put everything on the table.

Using energy that doesn't rely on oil allows us to keep more money home and will drive the prices of other forms of energy down. Its about an investment into the future. Its better for all of us in the long run.

We all have our qualms with big pharma, but that doesn't change how drugs have improved the quality of life overall for billions of people. Its about the goal in mind ultimately.

Originally Posted by thejrob

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

The problem at this point isn't with the desire for alternative fuels necessarily.  It's the infrastructure.
More complaining.

Its like saying I know I need to work out more, but I hate running. But still complaining about your high blood pressure and hypertension.

You can't have it both ways. Thats how investments work. 

You don't even have a problem with energy alternatives, you're just too lazy to want to put in the effort to make it a reality.

If you want bio-fuel, gas stations have to spend tens or hundreds of thousands to retrofit and upgrade their stations. 

How much was spent upgrading the nations TVs to digital? 

How much was spent installing HD radios?

Its about the goal in mind...but again, selectively you choose to moan and groan instead of rolling up your sleeves and getting to work.
Then you run into the problem of which fuels to stock. 

Is this a serious question? 

You sell energy...and you're telling me that they have to pick whether or not they should sell peanut butter or E85? 
roll.gif
Go sit down.
eyes.gif

I'm pretty sure they'll know the difference between their rear ends and a hole in the ground.
Considering most only make money from the convenience items inside the store, that can be quite a feat. 
Thats because there is no competition to encourage profit sharing with store-owners. There is no incentive to without competition. 
Change the system and you'll see a different set of rules. You can't use the old system to judge how a new one might work. Its two different things.

Same goes with recharging electric cars.  It takes upwards of 6 hours to charge and think about people fighting over charging spots.  And who's going to pay for you to charge your car while you're shopping?

The mobile devices had battery lives of how long? 30 minutes?

Now we have phones that can last for a week on standby...and thats just small mobile batteries of a few mAh

Clearly the need for innovation has encouraged more research into other types of battery sources and has enhanced battery capacity to unforeseen heights.

INNOVATION DRIVES COMPETITION WHICH CAUSES EVOLUTION IN THE MARKET.

Mostly all electric cars have super limited range & LONG recharge time..

Imagine getting stuck in traffic in da summer time...you're gonna tell drivers

About havin to turn off your A/C to extend battery life? 
grin.gif

They would have to tow 1/2 a highway off da roads...

Lets imagine having this conversation in the 1980s "Hey man, my boombox only lasts 2 days on the D-Cell batteries, how are we gonna be able to play all night long?" 
eyes.gif

This is the WORST argument against energy investments in the alternative fields.

If your argument is, "well my battery life is too short" then you need to remember how long we've come in understanding the tech behind rechargeable batteries and similar tech.

Remember how the first cellphone batteries had a quality that forced them to be run down completely, then charged up? then we developed newer ones that didn't force us to keep the "memory cycle" of the battery in mind? 

Thats progress spurred by needs in the market.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Ener1, Parent of Obama-Backed Green Company, Files for Bankruptcy[/h1]
ap_biden_ener1_nt_120127_wg.jpg

Ener1 Inc. CEO Charles Gassenheimer takes Vice President Joe Biden on a tour of the plant in Greenfield, Ind., Jan. 26, 2011. (Darron Cummings/AP Photo)

byline_abcnews.gif

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ener1...n-company-files-bankruptcy/story?id=15456414#

Email

85 Comments

Print

Text Size

- / +

By LEE FERRAN and MATTHEW MOSK (@mattmosk)

Jan. 27, 2012

The parent company of an electric car battery maker that received more than $100 million in government funding from the Obama administration has filed for bankruptcy protection, the company announced Thursday.

Alex Sorokin, the CEO for lithium-ion battery manufacturer Ener1, said the company suffered when demand for the batteries dropped as fewer Americans than expected opted for electric cars.

"This was a difficult, but necessary, decision for our company," Sorokin said in a statement on its website. "We moved aggressively to reduce costs and shift focus when the marketplace did not evolve as quickly as anticipated. Our business plan was impacted when demand for lithium-ion batteries slowed due to lower-than-expected adoption for electric passenger vehicles."

EnerDel, a subsidiary of Ener1 dedicated to making batteries for electric cars, was awarded a $118 million grant from the Energy Department in 2009 as part of President Obama's economic stimulus package and green energy push. Ener1 said that the bankruptcy filing and newly announced company restructuring would allow its subsidiaries, including EnerDel, to "continue normal operation."

The filing came exactly a year after Vice President Joe Biden visited an Ener1 manufacturing plant in Indiana where he proclaimed the company was the "start" to reshaping the way Americans drive and "the way Americans power their lives."

"A year and a half ago, this administration made a judgment. We decided it's not sufficient to create new jobs -- we have to create whole new industries," Biden told the plant workers then. "We're back in the game."

Ener1's financial collapse prompted a comparison to the doomed solar energy company Solyndra from Rep. Cliff Sterns, R.-Fla., who has been one of President Obama's most vocal critics concerning the green energy loan guarantee initiative. Solynda received more than half a billion dollars in taxpayer money as a loan guarantee from the Energy Department in 2009, two years before it collapsed in August 2011.

Full Coverage: Solyndra

Like Biden at Ener1, President Obama toured a Solyndra plant in California in May 2010 where he touted its potential.

"As with his comments touting Solyndra, Biden's remarks on Ener1 show how wrong the Obama Administration has been with these loan guarantees and grants," Sterns said on his website. "Instead of producing thousands of 'clean energy' jobs, the Administration's loan guarantee and grant programs are yielding another bankruptcy and the squandering of taxpayer dollars."

Solyndra is now the target of a federal criminal investigation aimed at determining whether the company was awarded the massive loan thanks to undue political influence, despite what critics said were visible signs the company was already in financial trouble.

A spokesperson for the Energy Department did not immediately return requests for comment on this report.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ener1...les-bankruptcy/story?id=15456414#.Tyo6LsgmVBk

laugh.gif

so silly putty you were saying?
grin.gif
liberal moon bats never have a problem spending money as long its not THEIR MONEY

Back
Top Bottom