Black Culture Discussion Thread

Harvard to hold graduation ceremony for black students only

Harvard University will hold a graduation ceremony exclusively for its black student population on 23 May.

More than 170 students and 530 guests have signed up to attend the Black Commencement event, the first university wide ceremony for black students.

The organisers say that the event is a celebration of "fellowship" rather than "segregation" and highlights the unique achievements of black students at an institution that has grappled with its historic ties to slavery.

Michael Huggins, a student who will receive a master's degree in public policy from the Harvard Kennedy School in Massachusetts at the end of this month, told The Root that the ceremony is "an opportunity to celebrate Harvard's black excellence and black brilliance."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/harvard-hold-graduation-ceremony-black-124111044.html
Corny...
Nah man.. when I graduated years ago my school (historically PWI) had this as well and I thought it was really well done.

The students still walk at the main commencement ceremony with everyone else, this is just a separate thing where we could run the show and be ourselves a lil bit. We chose our own speakers from within our community and they gave us a kente cloth/tassell thing that we could wear on top of our gown for normal graduation. Also it wasn't like some closed off non-inclusive thing , Asians and latino students had their own side graduations as well and I stopped by to support my spanish homies and vice versa

You have to understand that at a PWI school like Harvard, the minority community is def gonna be tight-knit and people form bonds from day 1 that last all four years. It's nothing negative towards the other students at the school, it's just that we were all extra proud when we see each other graduating bc we know what we've been through. It was cool to have our own little thing and tie a bow on our shared experiences. And after our ceremony they blasted ignorant *** rap songs from the speakers lool, everyone was dancing in their gowns and some of the parents were getting down too it was lit :lol: :pimp:

Last edited:
C_9CGoCVwAEJ2tG.jpg

Trayvon Martin Receives Posthumous Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation​
Trayvon Martin aspired to be a pilot before he was senselessly gunned down by George Zimmerman five years ago.  Martin would have been 22, the age of graduation for many students, so Florida Memorial University decided to honor Trayvon’s memory by awarding him a degree in Aeronautical Science.

Here is more from miami.cbslocal.com:

Martin’s parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, accepted a degree in Aeronautical Science on his behalf during a graduation ceremony at Florida Memorial University on Saturday. In a statement, the university said it was honoring the steps the 17-year-old took toward becoming a pilot before his death.

“Because your son has come to mean so much to so many, his story has resonated across the nation. Because as Dr. Martin Luther King once said, ‘Truth crushed to earth will rise again,’” said the school’s Vice President & Provost, Dr. Michelle Howard-Vital. “While we cannot restore the loss you have suffered, please accept this small token as a monument that Trayvon is loved and that his life matters to us.”

Martin’s parents were touched by the gesture and had the following comments:

“To say that we’re thankful is an understatement,” said Tracy Martin. “I think this shows what this community, how they feel, how they believe in our family, believe in our foundation, how we’ve worked together, it was a heartfelt moment when they called Trayvon’s name to accept the degree for him, it was very touching. This was a day that we planned for as parents, we just wish that we would have watched him walk across the stage.”

support the young ones

10-Year-Old Starts Empowering Clothing Line After Being Bullied For Her Dark Skin
View media item 2443333
https://www.flexininmycomplexion.com/shop?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000313

When Kheris Rogers was in elementary school, she was constantly bullied by white students for her darker skin. It had a negative impact on Kheris’ self esteem and her mom decided to transfer her to a different school, according to BuzzFeed News, but the teasing still occurred. This time, it was other black students who were taunting her.

“I’ve been bullied a lot, like in the first grade, I went to school with just four other black kids,” Kheris, who’s from Los Angeles, recently told Mic. “And kids used to bully me because they weren’t used to my skin tone. There was an incident with a teacher and we had to draw ourselves and she gave us a black crayon instead of a brown crayon, and I was really upset.”

On one side I'm happy she flipped that hate into something positive. On another side I get sick of this ****. Even other black kids and the teacher hate her.

Damn this one hits close to home. I know a lot of people who went to CP and Bowie.

RIP

Potentially ignorant, but serious question. How much do the racial demographics of a neighborhood/city factor into where you would live? For the past 9 years, most of the places I've lived have been majority black and I feel like at this point I'd be extremely hesitant to go back to the "only black person in the neighborhood" life.

Back
Top Bottom