Black Culture Discussion Thread

There's no doubt that poverty is a key, if not THE key issue. Education is still a foundational element though. When i made the above statement I made it in the sense that more and more young black children are desiring post-secondsry education or even want to graduate from high school and do it well; the post reference the article about that is proof.

The Millinials generation sparked an indirect movement of the desire for education, desire to run for public office, and the desire for entrepreneurship. Gen X was complacent with what big brother told em, we're hungry for more. Now granted it's not all of us, but more than our parents. This will in turn keep fueling the desire for more and can eliminate poverty in our neighborhoods.

Many of us are breaking the generational curse of ignorance in our communities and our families. I was the first in my family to graduate from college, my little cousins seen that and pushed for the same.

i don't think it was a complacency thing, isn't it just as influenced by market forces as much as an explicit desire? meaning the economic benefit of higher education is making higher ed not only desirable, but almost necessary give the competition & maybe also that the scope of what is available/possible has grown..education has basically gained importance over time, it used be all one needed was a little schooling if at all, then it was a high school diploma, now it is a college, who knows what it will be for the next generation(s)? if the cost of living was lower or there were many, many more opportunities that paid a livable wage for high school grads (or dropouts for that matter) a college education might not be as important and people might be willing to pursue careers that do not require it. education is correlated with higher lifetime earning/wages, but in & of itself may not necessarily be economically valuable, however personally enriching. there isn't really a magic bullet solution, education is important, but so are goods & services, so is housing, employment, etc. and it will take a mix of things to solve the problems this country will face in terms of class & race...

as for 'breaking the generational curse of ignorance in our communities and our families,' i think that is a counterproductive way to think about our communities & families; environments shape people, and many of the environments are ill suited to provide many examples, opportunities, and/or support to produce & replicate success...tis doesn't excuse ignorance, it is just to say that whatever ignorance exists, is borne of circumstances and that goes for all people...

Who do u blame for this though?

I believe that education wise, it's going to take us at least another 50 years to start seeing more educated black men and women to combat those that lack education.
I would say poverty is the main issue that we can blame for this. Without poverty blacks would be further ahead then where the are now and that has to do with economics and us not having any business of our own in our own communities

poverty is not a cause though. It's an effect.
how can it be an effect when your are born into it?
Education or rather lack thereof is the cause, poverty is the effect
education doesn't prevent poverty, jobs do...

you can be uneducated but work a trade(post industrial revolution era) and not be in poverty....

CBxH7RaUoAA_Axg.jpg

Eff Yo Ethnicity!!! “Dark Skinned Activist” Refuses To Support Kendrick Lamar’s Music Because His Fianceé Is Too Light???

Colorism has been and continues to be a major issue in Black America. Highly influenced by the media, colorism has led to the belief that Black women whose skin complexions are brown or chocolate are inferior to Black women whose skin complexions are tan or light.

Rashida Marie Strober, a “dark skinned activist” who promotes the beauty of Black women whose skin color is dark, has taken to Facebook to express her disappointment in rapper Kendrick Lamar’s recent engagement to his childhood lover because the bride-to-be is light skinned.

Strober posted the following message on Facebook with an image of Kendrick Lamar and his fiancée:

well, well, well would you looky here! ANOTHER FAKE CONSCIOUS MUTHER FUKER EXPOSED. I will never support him nor his music with one dime of my money and encourage all dark skinned women not to either!
After commenters lambasted her for criticizing the rapper’s taste in women, she created another post about the matter:

FAKE CONSCIOUS **** *** RAPPER KENDRICK LAMAR PART 2.
I see calling out and exposing self hating fake black men who speak about consciousness but date and marry NON DARK SKIN WOMEN brought you haters to my page. WELL SHARE THIS MUTHER****** POST!!! These type of fake ***** are the worst of the worst. DARK SKIN is the essence of true blackness and if these fakers were really and truly conscious they would MARRY DARK SKINNED WOMEN!!! You pissed ?? GOOD!!!
Hundreds of people left comments criticizing the activist for entertaining the painful and futile discussion about skin color. One commenter named Victoria Mackey wrote: “What an idiot. there’s several tones in Melanated skin.. You seem as if you’re angry because your skin is darker. Thats self hate whether you know it or not.. She still would be considered a ****** in a room full of white people.” Several others supported Mackey’s comment by saying it should not matter Kendrick’s finacée’s skin color because she’s still a Black woman.

One commenter named Yomet Tyler sided with Strober’s point of view: “Even though she is being offensive we all honestly know that lighter skin is prized and glorified..don’t stoop to her level trying to figure it out..jus take it as something to think about maybe.”

I SERIOUSLY THINK THIS PERSON HAS A AGENT TYPE PERSONALITY SHE GOES AROUND CALLING HERSELF A "DARK SKIN ACTIVIST" MORE CONFUSION...

Who do u blame for this though?

I believe that education wise, it's going to take us at least another 50 years to start seeing more educated black men and women to combat those that lack education.
I would say poverty is the main issue that we can blame for this. Without poverty blacks would be further ahead then where the are now and that has to do with economics and us not having any business of our own in our own communities

poverty is not a cause though. It's an effect.
how can it be an effect when your are born into it?

Education or rather lack thereof is the cause, poverty is the effect
education doesn't prevent poverty, jobs do...

you can be uneducated but work a trade(post industrial revolution era) and not be in poverty....

I'm not speaking education just in an academia sense, I'm speaking as a whole. Education or the desire to learn said trades, etc. that's what I'm talking about. I've overheard so much ignorance from ppl while on the bus going to and from work, and they have little to no desire to educate themselves from the sounds of their loud conversations.

There's no doubt that poverty is a key, if not THE key issue. Education is still a foundational element though. When i made the above statement I made it in the sense that more and more young black children are desiring post-secondsry education or even want to graduate from high school and do it well; the post reference the article about that is proof.

The Millinials generation sparked an indirect movement of the desire for education, desire to run for public office, and the desire for entrepreneurship. Gen X was complacent with what big brother told em, we're hungry for more. Now granted it's not all of us, but more than our parents. This will in turn keep fueling the desire for more and can eliminate poverty in our neighborhoods.

Many of us are breaking the generational curse of ignorance in our communities and our families. I was the first in my family to graduate from college, my little cousins seen that and pushed for the same.

i don't think it was a complacency thing, isn't it just as influenced by market forces as much as an explicit desire? meaning the economic benefit of higher education is making higher ed not only desirable, but almost necessary give the competition & maybe also that the scope of what is available/possible has grown..education has basically gained importance over time, it used be all one needed was a little schooling if at all, then it was a high school diploma, now it is a college, who knows what it will be for the next generation(s)? if the cost of living was lower or there were many, many more opportunities that paid a livable wage for high school grads (or dropouts for that matter) a college education might not be as important and people might be willing to pursue careers that do not require it. education is correlated with higher lifetime earning/wages, but in & of itself may not necessarily be economically valuable, however personally enriching. there isn't really a magic bullet solution, education is important, but so are goods & services, so is housing, employment, etc. and it will take a mix of things to solve the problems this country will face in terms of class & race...

as for 'breaking the generational curse of ignorance in our communities and our families,' i think that is a counterproductive way to think about our communities & families; environments shape people, and many of the environments are ill suited to provide many examples, opportunities, and/or support to produce & replicate success...tis doesn't excuse ignorance, it is just to say that whatever ignorance exists, is borne of circumstances and that goes for all people...

I can agree with that, but also can step back and look at the need and purpose to extinguish said ignorance. Even after the ending of slavery and through the Jim Crow era, and so on and so forth, there are those that want to be education and not ignorant, and then you have those that choose to remain in the bliss of ignorance. Without the need, desire, etc. Black Wall Street would've never came to be. Doctors, lawyers, etc. they wanted more. You and I can come from bad neighborhoods (which I dd, not too sure about your background) and not want to be ignorant. I guess some are cut from a different cloth and choose to take the "easy" way out.

I look at drug dealers, and ironically enough, some are smart and good w/ numbers, but they choose to use it for those purposes because they see it as a quick, easy buck, not really factoring in the risks associated w/ that "profession". Education has always been important, always, just not in the aspect that some consider it.

I may be all over the place as I didn't really get to map out a response, but I'm sure we can both agree that any form of education is valuable, the further you pursue it, the better off you will become. Street smarts is a form of education and that's held to a high regard in some communities. Education and knowledge is everywhere in every form, I just want us to seek the knowledge that's going to enhance our lives positively.

I can agree with that, but also can step back and look at the need and purpose to extinguish said ignorance. Even after the ending of slavery and through the Jim Crow era, and so on and so forth, there are those that want to be education and not ignorant, and then you have those that choose to remain in the bliss of ignorance. Without the need, desire, etc. Black Wall Street would've never came to be. Doctors, lawyers, etc. they wanted more. You and I can come from bad neighborhoods (which I dd, not too sure about your background) and not want to be ignorant. I guess some are cut from a different cloth and choose to take the "easy" way out.

I look at drug dealers, and ironically enough, some are smart and good w/ numbers, but they choose to use it for those purposes because they see it as a quick, easy buck, not really factoring in the risks associated w/ that "profession". Education has always been important, always, just not in the aspect that some consider it.

I may be all over the place as I didn't really get to map out a response, but I'm sure we can both agree that any form of education is valuable, the further you pursue it, the better off you will become. Street smarts is a form of education and that's held to a high regard in some communities. Education and knowledge is everywhere in every form, I just want us to seek the knowledge that's going to enhance our lives positively.

the thing about ignorance is it exist on so many levels, and the breadth of human experience/existence is wide enough that it pretty much guarantees that we all are/will be ignorant to a great many things. that someone is ignorant doesn't or shouldn't exclude one from opportunities or make one less than. i live & work in/around what is supposedly one of the most educated cities in the states, and though very anecdotal & general, i have been just as likely to be exposed to ignorance on the train to havard square as smart pithy conversation on the bus to mattapan, but the expectations of those areas might lend one to make/see different observations...

i grew up adjacent to (though not in) one of the most infamous projects in chicago, we moved out to the suburbs before i was old enough to be fully aware of what was around us but i often wonder how different the lives of me & my family might have been were it not for moving; much of peoples lives is influenced by who & what is available/we see around us. more to the point, we are all products of our immediate circumstances/environment, some fair better than others for reasons as random as the wind, some have the fortitude to overcome the bad around them, but that is almost to be extraordinary, not the average, i feel like most put against these type of things would take the path of least resistance, this goes the same for people working in the financial districts as it does for anyhood usa...

we're all a bit unfocused here, a discussion as charged, multi-faceted, & amorphous as this is bound to get very broad with different perspectives. i don't think any one would say that education isn't a worthwhile desire/pursuit and you are right, it can take many forms but the economic value can be very circumstantial and it is hard to know how & what will enhance our lives positively; add to that the precociousness of youth where we might not always be thinking about the future (especially when there might not be many explicitly visible examples different types of success available in proximity...which points to the both the ideas of being able to get to see the broader world & mixed income communities but part of the reality is that those would be example most likely move when they have the means and that it can be hard for those without means to really get out & experience the larger world)

the world may never be completely fair or meritocratic and it doesn't need to be; education can be a tool but it shouldn't be the only means by which to improve...

I'm just going to start dropping article links on the reg. The individual posts take too long and bog up load times.
  1. http://blackthen.com/black-to-the-f...ent-builds-multi-million-dollar-tech-company/
  2. http://yourblackworld.net/2012/09/0...eased-called-how-to-make-money-selling-drugs/
  3. http://newafricanmagazine.com/why-idi-amin-expelled-the-asians/
  4. http://blackthen.com/10-black-heroes-you-probably-never-heard-of-but-should-know/
  5. http://blackthen.com/the-real-lone-...awman-who-lived-with-native-american-indians/
  6. http://newafricanmagazine.com/we-must-unite-now-or-perish/
  7. http://originalpeople.org/little-foot/
  8. http://yourblackworld.net/2015/04/0...riminals-formal-pictures-for-white-criminals/
  9. http://kulturekritic.com/2014/05/ne...-prisons-are-used-to-control-people-of-color/
  10. http://financialjuneteenth.com/african-women-sold-into-slavery-in-kuwait-as-domestic-workers/
  11. http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/05/24/363918/boko-haram-created-and-funded-by-cia/
  12. http://melanoidnation.org/noose-hanging-freely-at-duke-university/
  13. http://thereelnetwork.net/documentary-explores-the-untimely-death-of-comic-black-hollywood-wrap-up/
  14. http://yourblackworld.net/2015/02/10/chicago-charter-school-sends-100-students-college-5-years-row/
  15. http://www.theblackhomeschool.com/2...d-to-13-colleges-including-all-8-ivy-leagues/
  16. http://thereelnetwork.net/comedy-central-seriously-changing-the-look-of-tv-comedy/
  17. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
  18. http://thegrio.com/2015/04/02/kkk-prison-workers-plot-kill-black-inmate/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32194722

Wow... I know NT is scared of social topics so i'll leave here, I'm sure almost everybody knows what recently happened in Kenya.
More "terror." This "insecurity" has gotten real tired real fast. I'm tired of bastards killing in the name of Allah. These men have nothing to do with Islam and make it tough out here for other peaceful Black Muslims. Their gov has to do better. RIP to those who lost their lives early and unnecessarily. May their pain not be in vain.

You're right, their gov is not doing enough. They need to root out those bastards. They did some bombing but, without ground ops, it's not going to be enough.

You're right, their gov is not doing enough. They need to root out those bastards. They did some bombing but, without ground ops, it's not going to be enough.
Exactly. I hate hearing about the senseless deaths. It's so uncalled for. We have enough problems as is. Dones always cause civilian death but I hate calling for the ground troops to come in because that's just gonna be more black death but if they don't then the real killers get to have a field day on the innocents. This is gonna be a wiiiiiiiiiiild decade. Brace yourselves fam!

Terrible what they are going to try to do to this brotha 
mean.gif

A good scientist that does good work.

(Ignore the title of the video, not conclusive)

Anyone that follows TED probably have seen his video there a few years ago

http://sportsrants.com/nfl/2015/04/08/disparities-in-diversity-why-cant-minorities-take-their-talents-off-the-field/
Disparities in diversity; why can’t minorities take their talents off the field?

As a college student aspiring to work in sports one day, I am taking various classes about the nature of the business. In my Ethics in Sports class, the topic of race in sports was brought up; the focus was on the NFL. I was startled to learn that the first African American quarterback to start a Super Bowl was Doug Williams for the ******** in 1988. The NFL was among one of the first leagues to integrate, with the signing of two African American players in 1945; albeit they lacked the superstardom that surrounded Jackie Robinson, it was still an integral move for the NFL. The real question is why did it take 43 years for a minority quarterback to start the biggest game in the NFL? Adding onto that point, why is it that the NFL lacks a minority presence in the decision making positions both on the field, on the sideline and the front office? This is 2015, right?

The Rooney Rule has created a movement towards diversity in the league; Mike Tomlin is the prime example of this. Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm was seen as the favorite to replace Bill Cowher when he retired as the head coach of the team in 2006; however, per NFL requirements, the Steelers had to interview a minority for the position. They chose to interview Mike Tomlin, the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator who was seen as a surprise choice figuring he lacked coordinator experience, let the alone head coach experience. As we all know, Tomlin was ultimately hired, making him the youngest head coach in NFL history. He has also gone on to be one of the most successful head coaches in the league since his hiring, posting a 82-46 record as well as a Super Bowl victory in his second season. The Rooney Rule has been a positive start for the NFL; since the institution of the Rooney Rule in 2003, there have been 14 minority head coaches hired in the NFL. The Rooney Rule may have been one of the reasons the Jets hired Todd Bowles this off season; he may have never gotten the opportunity to interview for the position had it not been for the Rooney Rule.

The Rooney Rule may have done well for the coaches in the NFL, but the front office still lacks a minority presence. Starting all the way at the top, Shahid Khan became the first prominent minority to own a NFL team when he purchased the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2012. OK, so it’s kind of an unfair junction to state this because the majority of NFL teams have remained in the same family for decades, but it is a positive step forward. The real ire lands in the front office; out of the 32 teams, there are only 7 minority general mangers. Why is it that way? Do owners not believe that minorities are capable of running a team successfully? Ozzie Newsome and Jerry Reese, of the Ravens and Giants, respectfully, both have won Super Bowls in the past under their leadership. So then you move down the ladder to senior administration, where African Americans only held 17 percent of the positions.

The numbers don’t lie; in a league where over 66 percent of the athletes are African Americans, why is it that there are so few of them in prominent positions of leadership? You’d like to think that the NFL was moving forward in terms of racial diversity at a pace quicker than this. Although the idea of stacking, or putting African Americans at positions that don’t require as much thinking and decision making (e.g Quarterback or Middle Linebacker), is dying out, the lack of improvement in the front office is disheartening. I would like to think that we live in a society that has passed over racial adversity. Sports is usually one of the leader’s in creating social change; if there is a lack of minorities in leadership roles in a league where the majority of its employees are a minority, how do other companies in the business world look? Is there a lack there too? Yeah, I understand that this is a football article, but these social issues prominently affect the NFL. It’s time for the league to improve its diversity in leadership positions. More minority quarterbacks, more minority coaches, more minority front office people and more minority owners; this league needs to be a leader in social change, just like it always has. The men in this league that play on the field are more than capable of contributing to the success of a team off the field. This is wishful thinking, but I would like to think the league is far past the days of Jim Brown and Jim Crow. The NFL needs to speed the diversity process up, or fear getting passed by.

The majority of the statistics in this article were provided by the TIDES program; the brainchild of Richard Lapchick, a distinguished professor at the University of Central Florida. The full report on diversity in the NFL can be read here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom