Beginning of the End

Jesus ANOTHER one of these what killed the "sneaker game" threads....YOU wanna know what REALLY killed the sneaker game (god I hate that phrase)???? NikeTalk (more general the Internet) loaded the gun...and eBay (more specific) pulled the trigger.....before the beast that is the net...and the bloggs...and twitters...and YouTube videos...and WDYWT threads....and Pickup post...people cop'd and rock with they liked or at best what was local to your hood....when I was kid, Nike was whack!!!! You was "stuntin" (as the kids say) with as fresh pair of Filas maybe even some Ponys or adidas....Even Ewings had it on smash....Jordans and Nike became such a global brand because it's style transcended the local hood...EVERY kid EVERY where wanted to be like Mike..being like Mike ment wearing what Mike wore...Every kid felt like he jumped higher...cross overed (shout to Timmy H) a little fiercer with Jays on the feet...

Then comes NT and Blogs and EBay...You wanna know what KILLED your so called game???? Just go to the pick up thread or WDYWT thread....sneakers have become a competition of who can get what...who can get limited this...who can get the exclusive pics...who can get the kicks first...sometimes if feels like a nation of !@@%!%# in here....You know why I hate dudes like Mayor and DJCK it's cause they have to push the fact that they have what you CAN'T get....and the Internet gives them the forum to FLOSS...so what does that do...it creates a mass amount of kids that will do whatever it takes to have the exclusives that you can't get...buy fakes...purchase FSR's..create PM cliques (El Vampiro..lol)...whack...Dudes like Franalations who is whack as hell not because he's a funny looking dude but because he''s TRYING WAY to hard to be cool...I respect a guy like Ty (even though you posted them Lebron Knicks 8 you bastard) cause dude TRULY rocks what he likes...homie can kill it with HWC on one day with a Bape hoody..then rock a pair of saddle shoes with a bow tie and dingy white tee the next....

Now comes eBay which gives sellers looking to sell u something you CANT obtain...and buyers so desperate to be the kid in there mall with the only pair of Yeezy's (who cares if they fake or not) willing to pay whatever (fees, shipping, 400% markup) to be exclusive...

And everyday the cycle keeps repeating itself...don't blame retros...blame this appetite that people have or need or want to be cooler then you...or cooler then him....or just be cool....*%*! cool...*%*! Nike Air on the back...*%*! what kind of leather they used (except them DMP 1...horrid)....if you like how it looks..cop it...period...

Jesus ANOTHER one of these what killed the "sneaker game" threads....YOU wanna know what REALLY killed the sneaker game (god I hate that phrase)???? NikeTalk (more general the Internet) loaded the gun...and eBay (more specific) pulled the trigger.....before the beast that is the net...and the bloggs...and twitters...and YouTube videos...and WDYWT threads....and Pickup post...people cop'd and rock with they liked or at best what was local to your hood....when I was kid, Nike was whack!!!! You was "stuntin" (as the kids say) with as fresh pair of Filas maybe even some Ponys or adidas....Even Ewings had it on smash....Jordans and Nike became such a global brand because it's style transcended the local hood...EVERY kid EVERY where wanted to be like Mike..being like Mike ment wearing what Mike wore...Every kid felt like he jumped higher...cross overed (shout to Timmy H) a little fiercer with Jays on the feet...

Then comes NT and Blogs and EBay...You wanna know what KILLED your so called game???? Just go to the pick up thread or WDYWT thread....sneakers have become a competition of who can get what...who can get limited this...who can get the exclusive pics...who can get the kicks first...sometimes if feels like a nation of !@@%!%# in here....You know why I hate dudes like Mayor and DJCK it's cause they have to push the fact that they have what you CAN'T get....and the Internet gives them the forum to FLOSS...so what does that do...it creates a mass amount of kids that will do whatever it takes to have the exclusives that you can't get...buy fakes...purchase FSR's..create PM cliques (El Vampiro..lol)...whack...Dudes like Franalations who is whack as hell not because he's a funny looking dude but because he''s TRYING WAY to hard to be cool...I respect a guy like Ty (even though you posted them Lebron Knicks 8 you bastard) cause dude TRULY rocks what he likes...homie can kill it with HWC on one day with a Bape hoody..then rock a pair of saddle shoes with a bow tie and dingy white tee the next....

Now comes eBay which gives sellers looking to sell u something you CANT obtain...and buyers so desperate to be the kid in there mall with the only pair of Yeezy's (who cares if they fake or not) willing to pay whatever (fees, shipping, 400% markup) to be exclusive...

And everyday the cycle keeps repeating itself...don't blame retros...blame this appetite that people have or need or want to be cooler then you...or cooler then him....or just be cool....*%*! cool...*%*! Nike Air on the back...*%*! what kind of leather they used (except them DMP 1...horrid)....if you like how it looks..cop it...period...

I dont like the words sneaker head and shoe game either but that is what people use now. I love hearing everyones opinion respectfully.
I choose the retro as the beginning because it was the first time Nike used "special edition limited" So I believe their whole point for the retro is to build hype which later on leads to the problems I find with sneakers now a days.
I remember seeing a video a year ago where gentry said he was gonna go away with the retros and only bring them out now and then.
as we speak it is a thread asking what is the best shoe jordan released all year with 99% of the shoes to vote from as retros

I dont like the words sneaker head and shoe game either but that is what people use now. I love hearing everyones opinion respectfully.
I choose the retro as the beginning because it was the first time Nike used "special edition limited" So I believe their whole point for the retro is to build hype which later on leads to the problems I find with sneakers now a days.
I remember seeing a video a year ago where gentry said he was gonna go away with the retros and only bring them out now and then.
as we speak it is a thread asking what is the best shoe jordan released all year with 99% of the shoes to vote from as retros

In my humble opinion, I think that we as consumers killed it before it ever got started. We are the ones hypin up releases, I mean if it wasn't retros, then it would have been something else. Hypebeasts pump up a release, then resellers cop multiples to make a buck. And besides that, we are still buying the shoes regardless. If we spoke with our wallets, JB would have no choice but to fix the quality issues. But it just isn't gonna happen. Consumers will be consumers, so we just gotta deal with it.

In my humble opinion, I think that we as consumers killed it before it ever got started. We are the ones hypin up releases, I mean if it wasn't retros, then it would have been something else. Hypebeasts pump up a release, then resellers cop multiples to make a buck. And besides that, we are still buying the shoes regardless. If we spoke with our wallets, JB would have no choice but to fix the quality issues. But it just isn't gonna happen. Consumers will be consumers, so we just gotta deal with it.

Originally Posted by swingshot

Originally Posted by dunks318ti

In my opinion they should only retro with GR status of HIGH quantities once every blue moon. .

Nike don't give a crap. They're the only game in town and retailers basically have to take their product, however cheap or often the turn it out.

In the mid-nineties Nike upped their game and put the competition down. Now, their market dominance, their market abuse, is the price we're paying for the success in the nineties.

The Air Max 2 CB is a prime example. Retros look like the shoe in the picture above.

They feel nothing like it. OGs are supportive, but soft both on the upper and the midsole.

Retros feel like some of mishapen hiking boot. When they shrunk the air bubble they didn't even add extra material to the midsole, Retros sit on the ground like those strength shoes.
That just increases heel drag, which in turn wears the shoe out more quickly.

Nike really do not give a flying expletive anymore, they made me a sneaker head, but now they're driving me away.
^ It's not exactly that. Nike recognized that their customers wear shoes for "style". When sig shoes were made while Jordan, Barkley etc. were still playing, the quality was a bit better because they were the current tech in terms of shoe. Now with the retros, these stars aren't playing anymore, but the nostalgia is still there by the consumer. So, they find cheaper ways to reproduce the shoe with style as the primary function of the retros. They don't expect you to ball in the retros, although you certainly can. They aren't made to last like the original shoe. They think that the consumer will buy no matter what because of the nostalgia, but whatever. Buy what you like. Don't like the price, you know what to do.... Plus, Nike was planning on retroing sigs anyway. I remember reading back in 1999 or 2000 or so, they were doing what was called the millennium project where they would be reissuing past Nike signature models. That was waaaay back when before people knew release dates months in advance and lined up. Can it be when it was all so simple then 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by swingshot

Originally Posted by dunks318ti

In my opinion they should only retro with GR status of HIGH quantities once every blue moon. .

Nike don't give a crap. They're the only game in town and retailers basically have to take their product, however cheap or often the turn it out.

In the mid-nineties Nike upped their game and put the competition down. Now, their market dominance, their market abuse, is the price we're paying for the success in the nineties.

The Air Max 2 CB is a prime example. Retros look like the shoe in the picture above.

They feel nothing like it. OGs are supportive, but soft both on the upper and the midsole.

Retros feel like some of mishapen hiking boot. When they shrunk the air bubble they didn't even add extra material to the midsole, Retros sit on the ground like those strength shoes.
That just increases heel drag, which in turn wears the shoe out more quickly.

Nike really do not give a flying expletive anymore, they made me a sneaker head, but now they're driving me away.
^ It's not exactly that. Nike recognized that their customers wear shoes for "style". When sig shoes were made while Jordan, Barkley etc. were still playing, the quality was a bit better because they were the current tech in terms of shoe. Now with the retros, these stars aren't playing anymore, but the nostalgia is still there by the consumer. So, they find cheaper ways to reproduce the shoe with style as the primary function of the retros. They don't expect you to ball in the retros, although you certainly can. They aren't made to last like the original shoe. They think that the consumer will buy no matter what because of the nostalgia, but whatever. Buy what you like. Don't like the price, you know what to do.... Plus, Nike was planning on retroing sigs anyway. I remember reading back in 1999 or 2000 or so, they were doing what was called the millennium project where they would be reissuing past Nike signature models. That was waaaay back when before people knew release dates months in advance and lined up. Can it be when it was all so simple then 
30t6p3b.gif

it's disgusting i recognize this ad... i always tore out the Jordan pics in Eastbay... it def was the beginning of the end for me.

it's disgusting i recognize this ad... i always tore out the Jordan pics in Eastbay... it def was the beginning of the end for me.

The 2000-2001 retro XI's.

After re-releasing the 1-6 in order, out of no where they skipped to the XI. This was the shoe that caught everyone's attention, and brought me and several others to this site. The retro XI's had people fighting and rioting at malls, and started the whole reselling trend. It took everyone's attention and interest off of the latest signature shoe, and marked the turning point where JB started re-releasing older models months and even weeks apart.

The 2000-2001 retro XI's.

After re-releasing the 1-6 in order, out of no where they skipped to the XI. This was the shoe that caught everyone's attention, and brought me and several others to this site. The retro XI's had people fighting and rioting at malls, and started the whole reselling trend. It took everyone's attention and interest off of the latest signature shoe, and marked the turning point where JB started re-releasing older models months and even weeks apart.

The I's didn't sell that well when they were released in 94. I remember a local mom and pop shop marking them down to $59.99. It wasn't really in fashion then to be wearing "old shoes." You'd have a much better argument if you were to have a 99 eastbay with those retros. That started the whole elitist "nike sign on the back" community of sneakerheads.

The I's didn't sell that well when they were released in 94. I remember a local mom and pop shop marking them down to $59.99. It wasn't really in fashion then to be wearing "old shoes." You'd have a much better argument if you were to have a 99 eastbay with those retros. That started the whole elitist "nike sign on the back" community of sneakerheads.

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

I know when they first started they sat on shelves but once they became the "cool" thing to get prices went up and quality went down
ohwell.gif
QFT!!!!

Once I seen first hand the shenanigans over the past 2 years(Space Jams, Cool Greys, CDP XI/XII) I swear, I just want to go back
AF1's 100%  again.

My girl as my witness, I was at Sneaker Pimps DC last year, and these GROWN *$+ MEN(over 25), were telling us how they camped out
4 days for the black and pink Yeezy's.
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
There are grown hypebeasts as well.

It is mostly youngins and Jordans, but I can not entirely point the finger at them either.

I will say this, it was not like this between 95-01.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

I know when they first started they sat on shelves but once they became the "cool" thing to get prices went up and quality went down
ohwell.gif
QFT!!!!

Once I seen first hand the shenanigans over the past 2 years(Space Jams, Cool Greys, CDP XI/XII) I swear, I just want to go back
AF1's 100%  again.

My girl as my witness, I was at Sneaker Pimps DC last year, and these GROWN *$+ MEN(over 25), were telling us how they camped out
4 days for the black and pink Yeezy's.
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
There are grown hypebeasts as well.

It is mostly youngins and Jordans, but I can not entirely point the finger at them either.

I will say this, it was not like this between 95-01.

30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom