Basketball Thread About Nothing

Watching the end of this nuggets/clippers game and it just blows my mind that a referee can be in the perfect position and not see a blatant travel. On the other hand I watching the Heat game the other day and Duncan Robinson did a textbook NBA move that got him from the 3pt line on the catch , then down past the elbow then sidestep all the way to the corner 3 all while only taking two dribbles ( which was 100% legal in todays nba) but it just blows my mind how much the game has changed just in the last 8-10 years.

Last edited:
How can this (in general, not picking on this particular shot because plenty of people do it) not be a travel?

Catches it with both feet on the floor, spread wide.
Moves both feet up under himself and shoots the shot.

If that isn't a travel, that means he could catch it and not move his feet, then go up (leave his feet and go up in the air) and shoot, NOT shoot, come down on both feet, then pass.

-----------------

Comes down to - If I catch the ball with both feet on the ground, can I move both feet and then do something? I realize the knee jerk response is that it's okay because you can lift your pivot if you're going to shoot or pass. But slow it down in time and there's still a disconnect for me.

1) Catch, both feet on ground
2) Both feet off ground
3) Both feet on ground again
4) Both feet off ground again
5) Shot

A lot of players do that little catch-foot-gather when shooting 3s. How is it not a travel between steps 2 and 3? Like if when Collins moved both his feet, he went into a shooting motion but didn't shoot it, then faked in the air, landed again (like in the clip), then shot it, it would be such an obvious travel we wouldn't flinch.

Or am I overthinking this and it's just obvious travels the league hasn't legislated out yet 🤔

How can this (in general, not picking on this particular shot because plenty of people do it) not be a travel?

If that isn't a travel, that means he could catch it and not move his feet, then go up (leave his feet and go up in the air) and shoot, NOT shoot, come down on both feet, then pass.

-----------------

Comes down to - If I catch the ball with both feet on the ground, can I move both feet and then do something? I realize the knee jerk response is that it's okay because you can lift your pivot if you're going to shoot or pass. But slow it down in time and there's still a disconnect for me.

2) Both feet off ground
5) Shot

A lot of players do that little catch-foot-gather when shooting 3s. How is it not a travel between steps 2 and 3? Like if when Collins moved both his feet, he went into a shooting motion but didn't shoot it, then faked in the air, landed again (like in the clip), then shot it, it would be such an obvious travel we wouldn't flinch.

Or am I overthinking this and it's just obvious travels the league hasn't legislated out yet 🤔

it’s a hop step essentially, right? honestly i’ve always been confused about the discrepancy with things like the (inconsistently called) rip through travel call (where you take a step before you release the basketball to dribble) but you get to take two steps before a shot attempt?

Last edited:
Id say it’s technically a travel how JC did it but its a matter of timing. He should have been milliseconds earlier getting his feet together

-----------------

2) Both feet off ground
5) Shot

AAU that’s a travel and called often, in the league tho, we all have seen just how blatant the travel could be without the rough calling it. This one is a mild case so it’s no surprise traveling wasn’t called.

I was under the impression that unless you catch the ball in MOTION, you aren't allowed to take any steps until after the ball is dribbled.

You can take 2 steps if you are catching the ball on the move (IE, going in for a layup).

I would assume that is a travel in that clip.

Id say it’s technically a travel how JC did it but its a matter of timing. He should have been milliseconds earlier getting his feet together

Jamal Crawford's move is different because it was done off the dribble.

It isn't anything more than a jump stop moving to the side/diagonal.

He jumps off 1 foot and lands on 2. Technically/Perfectly legal.

Last edited:
I meant John Collins in that clip with the getting his feet together. Jamal Crawford's is close and again a matter of timing and coordination on efficiently killing your dribble during the hop not before. Probably one of the best signature moves though because I dont think I've ever seen anyone else in he NBA do it. Love to see someone more athletic co op it and dunk on a &(@*$ at the end

Jamal Crawford's move is different because it was done off the dribble.

It isn't anything more than a jump stop moving to the side/diagonal.

He jumps off 1 foot and lands on 2. Technically/Perfectly legal.

😂 random coincidence i worked for reebok when he wearing the product, we asked him about that move and he was super cool about explaining it:

Okay, in the Knicks/Bucks game, Giannis just got the ball at 3/4 court, INSIDE the 3-point line, took TWO dribbles, and dunked the ball. IMPOSSIBLE.

I mean he definitely carried the ball but it legit made me think they should make a rule that you have to take 2 dribbles if you have the ball, in one half of the court, or it's an automatic walk. Kind of like how the refs instantly call travels if guys pivot on the perimeter then pick up their pivot before they let the ball go.

If you or the ball is not touched by the defense, you should have to dribble twice to be able to dunk the ball man. I mean I know that's ridiculous but I don't know what else to say.

As incredible as it was to watch, that **** was a carry/travel all day every day, I'm sorry :lol:

Well MDW put his stamp on the Giannis play.

I need help to understand how that first “bat down” is not a dribble. U can’t tell me he didn’t have control and intend to dribble it exactly where it went. To me that’s his first dribble and the play was NOT a travel since you can’t travel during a live dribble. You COULD call it a carry though. But with Giannis huge hands I wouldn’t be surprised if his hand was borderline on the side of the ball and not really under it. So calling a carry or not calling it , I’d have been fine either way.

Nah this wouldn’t be called bro. Everyone knows

I saw this live and nothing egregious jumped out at me until I started seeing vids. In real time, on the floor, it looked good enough. Now, that Tatum one though....jeez:lol:

Back
Top Bottom