Basketball Thread About Nothing

The guy who wears his expensive sneakers to walk from his car to the playground/gym (1 to 2 minutes) and then change into proper basketball shoes to play.

I can't be the only one who's walked into gyms wearing low XI's and changed into Breds/Concord XI's to play now, can I? :lol:

it's going to take time, remember how everyone was spazzing out on harden's (the legal version 😂) stepback being a travel? now you can't go to a pick up game or park without seeing folk spam that idea...and knowing your footwork opens things up, so it definitely does help you in game; it up to you as an individual to figure out how & when to apply it

MDW is that you? Chu doing on NT fam? :lol:

She’s funny and fine as hell but all her content is churchy I cant find a Godly man/its hard to remain virtous out here content. I cant relate.
I can't be the only one who's walked into gyms wearing low XI's and changed into Breds/Concord XI's to play now, can I? :lol:
Usually low top white on whites for me on the walk in, or just whatever my newest hot sneak was, which would eventually be demoted or maybe promoted to the hoop shoe later when I got more heat in. Back then NIKE made shoes you could hoop in or just wear casually. Alot of these shoes out now just look too weird for the streets

Just look at this ****. :lol:

legal moves in the international & nba…could be legal in hs & college just one less step allowed because of the different interpretation of the gather…but there is no limit to steps in between a live handle & cats been tossing self passes off the backboard for time…in fact the nba is the only ruleset where you can’t rebound your own shot if it doesn’t hit backboard or another player, it’s legal on every other level to even rebound your own airball & regain your dribble

that dude has been able to gas these concepts for so long is a testament to how little folk actually know or even understand what the rules even are

Last edited:
I think it's a testament to the gap in commonly understood practice and the actual implementation of things vis-a-vis the rules. Spirit of the law vs letter of the law. There are laws in place that intend to govern or regulate something, but in practice they actually create a different situation *on the books* even as people follow the spirit of the law in real life.

It's kind of like a parent saying "Clean your room". And the kid goes well lets dissect that statement. "Room" can mean a lot of things. In our play area I have a place you as a parent designated I can play with my cars. That is my "room". So I picked up my 3 cars, so my room is clean.

It's the same thing with all these "is it a travel?" situations. And it's why, say what we might about the rules, go around the entire country doing these things and you're not going to get away with it even if you argue for 45 minutes, because people know what the game is supposed to look like, what travels look like, what too many steps look like.

The ultimate end of this whole trend from the past 5 or 6 years of getting increasingly like "I took 3 steps on earth and then gathered on the moon" in videos will only be put to an end when or if the NBA decides it wants to turn the rulebook from 40 or 50 pages or whatever it is now, to a legal library's worth of material to fully address all these things and operationalize what people who have played the game for years know is right or wrong. Is it worth it? NBA has decided "no" so far.

That whole “gather” meaning two hands on the ball is the problem. He put his whole hand under the ball and took two steps then “gathered” and took two more - that’s a travel. It should be two steps from the last dribble and if you take those two you cand dribble again, regardless of gather or whatever the h ell they want to call it. We all know anyone in our gyms doing this is getting called but we also know 99% of the players aren’t doing this either.

And I know, like said above, he’s exaggerating the rules and the motions to draw attention and we will probably never see it to this extent, but we also know SOMEONE out there is working on these moves now juat to try it.

I think it's a testament to the gap in commonly understood practice and the actual implementation of things vis-a-vis the rules. Spirit of the law vs letter of the law. There are laws in place that intend to govern or regulate something, but in practice they actually create a different situation *on the books* even as people follow the spirit of the law in real life.

It's kind of like a parent saying "Clean your room". And the kid goes well lets dissect that statement. "Room" can mean a lot of things. In our play area I have a place you as a parent designated I can play with my cars. That is my "room". So I picked up my 3 cars, so my room is clean.

It's the same thing with all these "is it a travel?" situations. And it's why, say what we might about the rules, go around the entire country doing these things and you're not going to get away with it even if you argue for 45 minutes, because people know what the game is supposed to look like, what travels look like, what too many steps look like.

The ultimate end of this whole trend from the past 5 or 6 years of getting increasingly like "I took 3 steps on earth and then gathered on the moon" in videos will only be put to an end when or if the NBA decides it wants to turn the rulebook from 40 or 50 pages or whatever it is now, to a legal library's worth of material to fully address all these things and operationalize what people who have played the game for years know is right or wrong. Is it worth it? NBA has decided "no" so far.

for sure there can be differences in the strict letter of the law & actual intent but in that analogy the kid’s dissection is irrelevant to the parent’s actual intent & interpretation, i.e. the player can try to get away with something but the referee’s interpretation is the ultimate arbiter of the rule set…what the nba decided about the gather just clarified an ambiguity that still technically exists in hs & college but they just have a stricter interpretation…and obviously these concepts rely on a precisely defined ruleset, which doesn’t really exist in pickup universally and there isn’t anyone with the authority to decide; so anything that is ‘out of the ordinary’ is grounds for arguing on the merit of being unorthodox…ex: harden’s stepback & the step through

it’s one of the most fundamental moves in basketball, that has been around since it’s inception…but it is routinely seen as a travel because most don’t know the basic rules, same with the step back but because it was going away from the basket & not a layup folk were losing their minds 😂

I’m not surprised by that at all because as I stated, in my very first post in this thread, it was on the step through topic. I played college and semi- pro in the early -mid 2000s and there was no step through. If you lifted your pivot foot, it was a travel. they were allowed to use the step through in WNBA and overseas.

I almost asked the question to the NT official Refs ( DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican tokes99 tokes99 206to813 206to813 if they actually played, or if they were the armchair analytics type but honestly it’s not that big of deal to me.

This summer off the top of my head I can recall two tournaments I was coaching in ( one in LA and the other in Vegas ) were we played circuit teams so I would assume the refs should be aware of the current rules and they still called a step through a travel. I know because I got T’d up after arguing the 3rd time it was called as well as Kendrick Perkins being thrown out of that same gym by the same official .

I’m not surprised by that at all because as I stated, in my very first post in this thread, it was on the step through topic. I played college and semi- pro in the early -mid 2000s and there was no step through. If you lifted your pivot foot, it was a travel. they were allowed to use the step through in WNBA and overseas.

I almost asked the question to the NT official Refs ( DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican tokes99 tokes99 206to813 206to813 if they actually played, or if they were the armchair analytics type but honestly it’s not that big of deal to me.

This summer off the top of my head I can recall two tournaments I was coaching in ( one in LA and the other in Vegas ) were we played circuit teams so I would assume the refs should be aware of the current rules and they still called a step through a travel. I know because I got T’d up after arguing the 3rd time it was called as well as Kendrick Perkins being thrown out of that same gym by the same official .

nah, i never played at a high level...but the step through has always been a legal move; there are literally examples of it being used in every era of hoops at every level 🤷🏿‍♂️, wouldn't surprise me if some refs call it a travel tho because it is kinda an obscure/special occurrence as it really only is used in a specific situation... you can lift the pivot foot just can't return it to the ground while maintaining possession, which is consistent with being taught just not to change/lift your pivot in general

I just can’t understand how people really think it wasn’t always legal lol 🤯
Like I said in my previous post….. if you actually played you would understand when ppl say it wasn’t always legal…. It is because it is still being called a travel in the vast majority of places from middle school on up

Like I said in my previous post….. if you actually played you would understand when ppl say it wasn’t always legal…. It is because it is still being called a travel in the vast majority of places from middle school on up

always legal, called very inconsistently on all levels...

Back
Top Bottom