Basketball Thread About Nothing

nah that’s just one call…the are probably more example of previous eras where the gather/zero step isn’t called…the ‘modern’ interpretation is just a clarification of the original rule(s) such that it is now consistent (😏😎) officially (😉)

folk be unhinged about this ‘new’ era tho:

imo athleticism typically play a huge part in people being able to square up before squaring up when pulling up shooting from their dominant hand

I think it is easily more of a technical skill than an athletic based skill.

Everyone in the NBA is athletic to a degree so something has to be able to separate those that can from those that can't.

The guy who wears his expensive sneakers to walk from his car to the playground/gym (1 to 2 minutes) and then change into proper basketball shoes to play.

I wanna see the full video of that old dude talkin **** and getting buckets.

side point, I hate people who forearm check you on drives. I've been playing for eons and aside from keeping you from leaning into me heavy and then leaning back to create space, I don't do that. I mean it's a great technique, I just think it's ******. I can guard you without putting my forearm into your ribs. But I know I'm in the minority cause that's super common in the NBA, and I'm sure part of is is because you can't just 'move your feet' all game cause you'll get worn TF out.

I wanna see the full video of that old dude talkin **** and getting buckets.

side point, I hate people who forearm check you on drives. I've been playing for eons and aside from keeping you from leaning into me heavy and then leaning back to create space, I don't do that. I mean it's a great technique, I just think it's ****ty. I can guard you without putting my forearm into your ribs. But I know I'm in the minority cause that's super common in the NBA, and I'm sure part of is is because you can't just 'move your feet' all game cause you'll get worn TF out.

Do you ever call it?

What about when you play 1s?

I somewhat am not a fan either but I just start doing more 1-2 pull ups, rely a more on floaters, start switching directions more on drives, etc

That was fun. I love how she told him she was underage so he wouldn't do dumb **** :lol: Guys are so stupid, if they could just be normal around women on (or off) the court, it could be fun like this. Dude had a shot for being 62. That one sequence where he missed 5 point blank layups in a row was brutal lol.

Do you ever call it?

What about when you play 1s?

I somewhat am not a fan either but I just start doing more 1-2 pull ups, rely a more on floaters, start switching directions more on drives, etc

Nah I never call it. I'm old school so basically even if you hack me, if I feel like I still should have made the shot I'm not gonna call it (but I'll take it if you call it). My jumper is trash by my own standards so handchecking doesn't make a real difference :lol:

I am terrible at 1s. I almost never play because for that to happen, someone would have to ask me to play. Nobody's gonna ask me to play because they all know I'm typically the best defender out there. So what fun is that getting shut down while also watching that same guy shoot bricks and miss layups. :emoji_sweat_smile:

But playing 2s or 3s or 4s or running full and I actually have value because I can block shots, get steals and then run the break like Jason Kidd. The same thing that makes my j terrible (the ability to see the whole court and the experience to know what's going to happen before it happens) makes my passing elite. Also I have really long arms for my size so it's deceptive. So I don't hand check or arm bar. I close distances really well and try to hustle on defense. Honestly though more than anything, I just love playing basketball. Never played organized though, so people who study foot position and really study the game and work on their offensive games will always be able to get one over on me because I missed that whole part of bball growing up, and while I never got coached I did read actual books from a library on shooting, but at this point it just feels like overkill to try to get better beyond just generic practice, at something I just play for fun with friends or whoever shows up at the court.

nah that’s just one call…the are probably more example of previous eras where the gather/zero step isn’t called…the ‘modern’ interpretation is just a clarification of the original rule(s) such that it is now consistent (😏😎) officially (😉)

folk be unhinged about this ‘new’ era tho:

I hate that guy. :lol:

He knows controversy sells though, he'd never get away with that in a game but that aint the point of his vids. Its for the engagement cause he knows people cant help themselves and wanna throw their 2 cents in on this. :lol:

Man I miss playing ball so bad. I played in HS and had a lot of teammates play at power 5 schools and turned down a D2 offer (Some small school in bum**** michigan i had never heard of) to go to IU on an academic scholarship.

I played regularly up until last year but kept getting hurt. Broken hand, broken finger and got elbowed near my eye and had some minimal brain bleeding so my doctor told me i had to chill for 6-12 months. I used to think my friends that were super good that stopped playing all together were crazy cause they didn't wanna risk injury and at 32 I completely understand now :lol: .

To those that still play, I am very jealous and enjoy yourselves and hope everyone stays safe on the court.

I think it is easily more of a technical skill than an athletic based skill.

Everyone in the NBA is athletic to a degree so something has to be able to separate those that can from those that can't.

wouldn't disagree that it's a very technical skill but body awareness is a part of athleticism tho...

I hate that guy. :lol:

He knows controversy sells though, he'd never get away with that in a game but that aint the point of his vids. Its for the engagement cause he knows people cant help themselves and wanna throw their 2 cents in on this. :lol:

eh, i think it has to a degree become about trolling the old guys but it is legit educational...he makes it clear which concepts are legal on which level(s) and even how to apply footwork so that it works on all levels...consults w/referees and shows in game examples...the guys complaining talking about pick up games or how they play their 1s is kinda irrelevant to what he is doing for players he trains

wouldn't disagree that it's a very technical skill but body awareness is a part of athleticism tho...

eh, i think it has to a degree become about trolling the old guys but it is legit educational...he makes it clear which concepts are legal on which level(s) and even how to apply footwork so that it works on all levels...consults w/referees and shows in game examples...the guys complaining talking about pick up games or how they play their 1s is kinda irrelevant to what he is doing for players he trains

"Concepts" sure but those goofy moves he does to show off those "concepts" are getting called everytime anywhere, park, rec league wherever. No one gonna sit around and wait for the explanation either. :lol: Its cool for videos (I guess) but irl yeah no.

"Concepts" sure but those goofy moves he does to show off those "concepts" are getting called everytime anywhere, park, rec league wherever. No one gonna sit around and wait for the explanation either. :lol: Its cool for videos (I guess) but irl yeah no.

thing is how 'goofy' they look to anyone is irrelevant, and that is the point explicitly...the stuff he shows is generally legal by some rule set, he not speaking on park games & rec games where folk are unaware of the actual rules they are playing by, which is usually some ambiguous mix of high school & league...

🧐 the goofiness is so besides the point, learn the rules for the level you play on and use that to your advantage, it's really just being cognizant of your footwork pretty simple 🤷🏿‍♂️

thing is how 'goofy' they look to anyone is irrelevant, and that is the point explicitly...the stuff he shows is generally legal by some rule set, he not speaking on park games & rec games where folk are unaware of the actual rules they are playing by, which is usually some ambiguous mix of high school & league...

🧐 the goofiness is so besides the point, learn the rules for the level you play on and use that to your advantage, it's really just being cognizant of your footwork pretty simple 🤷🏿‍♂️

If you are doing those exact moves in ANY setting the ball going the other way, period. :lol:

Hes exaggerating it for views, miss me with the educational ****. How the **** does any of that help you in game? ESPECIALLY if its gonna get called every single time. :lol:

If you are doing those exact moves in ANY setting the ball going the other way, period. :lol:

Hes exaggerating it for views, miss me with the educational ****. How the **** does any of that help you in game? ESPECIALLY if its gonna get called every single time. :lol:

it's going to take time, remember how everyone was spazzing out on harden's (the legal version 😂) stepback being a travel? now you can't go to a pick up game or park without seeing folk spam that idea...and knowing your footwork opens things up, so it definitely does help you in game; it up to you as an individual to figure out how & when to apply it

Back
Top Bottom