Bachelor Pad.

Alright thanks, and whats a reasonable SQ FT for 1 person? Anything between 500-800?
I'd say you're spot on.

Don't get me wrong...you can get 1 bedrooms in L.A. for 1k and they're feces. 

$1400 is not the worst, but it comes with a lot of amenities that make it a good price.

Austin was actually my first choice, but there were no openings at the data center I was looking into. Austin is as hipster as it gets. They're continually building new apartments and I would say cost of living is comparable to Houston. And yes, traffic is horrible. It's also the most liberal place in TX, which makes it an oddity. If you want to make a comparison to CA, it's probably like San Francisco.
Been eyeing this apt 15 mins away from San Diego after I finish my US Customs training.

In terms of Cali prices, is $1,450/month for 723sq ft really high?

PS : I have never lived on my own so I dont know where to even start looking.

What part of SD is this? Lived there for 7 years. Lots of price fluctuation as far as value goes down there.

That would be way more here in Austin. I pay $875 before water/sewage and pest control for 607SF here. Redeeming factor being washer and dryer are in the unit. I'd love to have an attached garage to finally be able to hang a heavy bag.

Austin rents are out of control.

On that HEB note...don't forget the Whatafries, fellas.
@Fontaine I believe you, washer and dryer is rare here. Only reason I have it is cause this place is old, so they throw that in to get you. Plus I'm up north, so with traffic I'm 45 minutes to an hour from downtown.

My last place here was 400SF for $750 a month with nothing included.
That far North of town and you still pay $900+/month for ~600sqft? Seems like a lot.

That far North of town and you still pay $900+/month for ~600sqft? Seems like a lot.
I'm just over MoPac across from the Domain, I guess I should've clarified that with no traffic it's like 15 minutes to downtown.  Austin is just expensive nowadays, with the number of people moving here daily the complex that aren't busted can pretty much charge what they want.

I'm just over MoPac across from the Domain, I guess I should've clarified that with no traffic it's like 15 minutes to downtown.  Austin is just expensive nowadays, with the number of people moving here daily the complex that aren't busted can pretty much charge what they want.
Gotcha - yeah you're not that far then as long as Mopac is moving.

I hear you though, I live Downtown and the rent is stupid.

What part of SD is this? Lived there for 7 years. Lots of price fluctuation as far as value goes down there.

Specifically the San Ysidro/Otay Mesa area, anywhere thats a 15-20min drive to the border station I may be working at.

Last edited:
That apartment layout for that price in Cali doesn't seem bad only because it has a washer and dryer (idk if it comes with it or that just means there is a room for it)? If it didn't have that it seems a little high

It says

Apartment Amenities

Cable Ready
Carpeting
Disposal
Electronic Thermostat
Handrails
1, 2, 3 & 4 Bedroom Units
2 Bedroom Townhouses with Attached Garage
Central Heating & Air
Dishwasher
Full Appliance Package Includes Range
Full Sized Washer and Dryer Included
Generous Closet
Kitchen Pantries
Linen Storage Space
Microwave
Neutral Color Palette
Private Patios Or Balconies
Refrigerators
Spacious Floor Plans
Wood-Burning Fireplaces*

Yeah .. then that price seems good hopefully it really is $1,450 and when you inquire they don't give a different price lol

Uptown Dallas rent is stupid..

I've seen a few "deals" on studios/1-bedrooms, less than 525 sq ft for $1100..

I knew it was expensive, but paying $1400+ a month to live in Uptown when you can pay $950-1100 to be in downtown (with a short drive to uptown) doesn't seem worth it to me.

My sister got a pretty good deal in Uptown.
984 sq for $1300. Rent starts at $1600. IDK how she pulled it off.
Includes a one car garage too.
Topaz townhomes right next to Azure condos.

I got lucky with my apartment in Dallas. Got a 2 bed/2 bath place, a little over 1200 sf for $1560 a month (rent typically starts right below $1900 here, but we got 2 months free). Gotta have a roommate, but we both travel for work all the time anyways so one of us is usually home alone during the week. It's right across 75 from West Village...$5 Uber ride to Uptown on the weekends.

Are Dallas and Houston like Austin when it rains?  

Folks here drive like a they're in blizzard conditions if it's sprinkling, the 15 minute drive to work with no traffic took 1.5 hours today

roll.gif
that's a great question really cause I had a brehette who lived in Atlanta who said that things got that way there anytime it rained.  But ice, snow sometimes and the rents most of all are making Texas look less attractive to me. 

Folks here drive like a they're in blizzard conditions if it's sprinkling, the 15 minute drive to work with no traffic took 1.5 hours today
Its the total opposite. Folks drive like they auditioning for Fast and Furious 
laugh.gif

Its the total opposite. Folks drive like they auditioning for Fast and Furious :lol:

Bruh everytime it rained in atl it seems like cats couldn't wait to test their tires on 285 or I-20. I use to see fools hydro planing all day on 85 lol

That still blows my mind about Austin, the city nearly shuts down when it rains. My place overlooks Guadalupe and it was still backed up well past 7pm last night.

Finally got some chairs for my kitchen table. Hate how I scratched the top of the table moving it into my house, wouldn't fit through the door so had to remove the top an the concrete scrapped it up a bit. This table is older than I am, solid oak and in great condition.

Does anyone know of a way that I can somehow get the scratches out?

Back
Top Bottom