August Alsina said Will Smith told him he could smash Jada if he wanted to...

It's annoying how people treat comedy now. Sad thing is some of you don't even realize it. Keep letting social media dictate your train of thought, because all I see is a bunch of regurgitation and you might as well be AI.
This. Comedy has always been comedy. Now nxggas wanna ruin that. "Oh my God why is he so mad and talking about Will and Jada in his special, he seems hurt!"

It's almost like these fools don't understand what comedy is. Haven't comedians always put their life experiences in their standup? The way these cats talk you'd think they have no idea who Richard Pryor was. He was the epitome of turning his hurt into laughs.

michael jackson died over a decade ago and was never convicted of a crime

r. Kelly is currently in jail

would seem like Elvis (or countless others) would be an obvious comparison to make to r.kelly, if he needed a dead singer

This. Comedy has always been comedy. Now nxggas wanna ruin that. "Oh my God why is he so mad and talking about Will and Jada in his special, he seems hurt!"

It's almost like these fools don't understand what comedy is. Haven't comedians always put their life experiences in their standup? The way these cats talk you'd think they have no idea who Richard Pryor was. He was the epitome of turning his hurt into laughs.

if you want a recent example, id suggest watching jarrod Carmichael‘s last special rothaniel

but I don’t blame dude one bit for addressing the subject matter and clowning will and/or jada.. that’s the point of this thread, which was around before the slap

I just thought the shh would be better, he has had months.. and then when I see new comments, I go and check out whatever it was he said on that subject matter and it’s just disappointing

You're typing up think pieces on clips you saw?

….On the overall concept of two mammoth iconic black entities like Chris Rock or Will Smith engaging in Love and Hip Hop/Shade Room Commenter behavior regardless of who is “wrong” or “right”. I said it’s fair play for Chris to do what he’s doing just surreal that he’s talking like this to be the legend that he is. Wasn’t dissing him or saying he’s wrong/doing too much just saying it’s wild that culture/entertainment standards have gotten to a place where our legends give it up like that now. You need to get off Chris’s Rock.

There were just moments it didn’t feel like comedy. Even when jokingly speaking on serious matters Rock has always seemed a bit mischievous.

I have a friend who I feel is the funniest person ever. Funny without trying to be type. He’s always been able to make light of dark situations. I’m talkin having you rolling laughing when you should be crying. After his mom passed, whom he had a very close relationship with, that changed. Everything is met with seriousness and at times anger. His mother wasn’t living an extravagant lifestyle but managed to save 100k for him. This hurt him because he couldn’t give that or more to her in life. He’s living with a lot of regret but never expresses it, directly. I was expecting him to make me laugh after my trauma not realizing he was still deeply affected or going through his own. Point is, I don’t think Chris was ready yet to bring it to the stage, nor do do I think he is the same person he was before the slap. He’s definitely in his right to express how he feels over the situation, no matter the feeling. Just the set felt more “let me get this off my chest” than “f*** it, let’s laugh at it”.

Was it me…or did Chris Rock make a joke about being a Coke user in his stand-up.:lol:

I remember Jamie Fox saying a subliminal line about being a Coke user on a late night show.

Last edited:
All Chris did was sit, collect data, and regurgitate the same material a lot of unfunny comedians used on social media over the past 11 months.

yeah-ok.gif

So I'm sure you could go on stage and do that then

….On the overall concept of two mammoth iconic black entities like Chris Rock or Will Smith engaging in Love and Hip Hop/Shade Room Commenter behavior regardless of who is “wrong” or “right”. I said it’s fair play for Chris to do what he’s doing just surreal that he’s talking like this to be the legend that he is. Wasn’t dissing him or saying he’s wrong/doing too much just saying it’s wild that culture/entertainment standards have gotten to a place where our legends give it up like that now. You need to get off Chris’s Rock.

You've spent more time typing than about this than the special lasted.

and I actually watched it.

You're the one who need to do some self evaluation.

A comedian making jokes about something that happen to them isn't something that started in 2023 no matter what the internet tries to tell you. Just like how he talked about his mom visiting his daughter in France and showing the pic at the end of the special, of course you didn't see that :lol:

All Chris did was sit, collect data, and regurgitate the same material a lot of unfunny comedians used on social media over the past 11 months.

i made an effort to watch what he had to say about will/jada, cause I figured that would be his funniest materiel.. but nah and didn’t really make me want to actual watch the special

and it wasn’t anything to do with the controversy surrounding dude.. but he hasn’t really been that funny to me in decades.. bring the pain and bigger and blacker are over 2 decades ago

obviously the slap was the story from the oscars.. but you could go back and look at the jokes he told inclusive of the gi Jane joke.. gi Jane is a bad movie from decades ago that unperformed when it was released

but look at the r.Kelly/ Michael jackson joke.. there is an Elvis movie that has recently won awards and is nominated for even more awards.. would think if you’re making a selective outrage joke, Elvis is an obvious current ongoing example

I think there's no question the 1st half at least was weak. Got better once he got to talking about himself and family. What I really dug most was his energy, felt like 90s Rock a little.

Y’all realize only one of these people have put actual hands on the other right? I have no qualms with anything Chris said.

However if Will now wanted to slap him I think it would be justified.
I have no idea what the problem is.. "It sounds personal" "he sounds hurt"... Um the brotha got slapped in front of millions and likely has been dealing with trauma because of it. Of course he's gonna be hurt. This is a first time in a long time that we've seen the old Chris Rock energy. I would respect these dudes more if they just said they don't like Chris' comedy because the reasons they are coming up with in this thread make no sense.

I have no idea what the problem is.. "It sounds personal" "he sounds hurt"... Um the brotha got slapped in front of millions and likely has been dealing with trauma because of it. Of course he's gonna be hurt. This is a first time in a long time that we've seen the old Chris Rock energy. I would respect these dudes more if they just said they don't like Chris' comedy because the reasons they are coming up with in this thread make no sense.

I compare comedians to rappers

Kevin, Dave, Eddie and Chris are in a different class and we compare them to the old them like we do rappers. When they were broke and upcoming. They had more to talk about, and now their experiences aren't like ours. We've matured, and so have they.

There were just moments it didn’t feel like comedy.
Every great comedian has had a moment like this in their stand-ups.. Katt, Chappelle, Carlin, Pryor, Hart etc... When you are tackling the subjects these guys are, there are gonna be moments like that especially when its personal. No offense but it's like some of y'all cats didn't start watching stand up until recently.

Kevin, Dave, Eddie and Chris are in a different class and we compare them to the old them like we do rappers. When they were broke and upcoming. They had more to talk about, and now their experiences aren't like ours. We've matured, and so have they.
You're right on the money with this analogy. I 100% agree.

Y’all realize only one of these people have put actual hands on the other right? I have no qualms with anything Chris said.

However if Will now wanted to slap him I think it would be justified.
Oh yeah it's on for real now. Either way I still rock with both, Will more than Rock for the life gems he's put out over the years. Two grown men celebs having an altercation makes no difference in my world view.

Every great comedian has had a moment like this in their stand-ups.. Katt, Chappelle, Carlin, Pryor, Hart etc... When you are tackling the subjects these guys are, there are gonna be moments like that especially when its personal. No offense but it's like some of y'all cats didn't start watching stand up until recently.

People have been saying that about Dave. With Dave I felt it more because he's spent several specials addressing it and even his school event. If Chris is still talking about this three specials from now I'll be annoyed as well.

it’s all about how you grow within your art.. and willing to accept changes

will is in a similar boat, except we’ve seen more actors actually transition and be smarter about growth in that industry

but we can look at the last 2 decades and see the many missteps will has taken with roles

but with rap, it’s rare to see someone like jayz all those albums deep and arguments can be made about albums way down the line being amongst his best

but obviously the better you’re doing professionally, your perspective on things is going change and you should be maturing as a person which is also going change your perspective on things

I thought it would be funnier and that Chris would go much harder.

His last two specials I felt like he’s just lost a step.

Kevin who? Kevin Samuels?

Back
Top Bottom