Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Anyone get closer to their culture the older they get?

I'm becoming more and more swayed towards wanting to keep my culture alive, perhaps marry a chick who's also my ethnicity, and eventually pass the culture to my kids.
Me. I felt like this ever since I became junior in college.

anyone know the shi shi shi poem?

《施氏食狮史》

石室诗士施氏,嗜狮,誓食十狮。

氏时时适市视狮。

十时,适十狮适市。

是时,适施氏适市。

氏视是十狮,恃矢势,使是十狮逝世。

氏拾是十狮尸,适石室。

石室湿,氏使侍拭石室。

石室拭,氏始试食是十狮。

食时,始识是十狮尸,实十石狮尸。

试释是事

Learned about it today in my E. Asian language class.. Pretty cool imo. But hearing foreigners trying to speak mandarin bruh 
laugh.gif
 Im not even Chinese and I had to cringe man.  

Thinking about getting a Lucky Cat just to rustle my wife's jimmies. :lol:

Anybody ever experience low-key, slick, covert racism at work?

I'm getting little bits and pieces of it lately and I'm not sure how I can check these folks, considering they're more senior people.

Anybody ever experience low-key, slick, covert racism at work?

I'm getting little bits and pieces of it lately and I'm not sure how I can check these folks, considering they're more senior people.
Put your foot down and dont laugh it off or respond if they're getting to the edge. Let them know you dont like the half steppin.

Being old shouldnt be an excuse for being a closet racist or ignorant. Theyre just your coworkers so I feel like its easier to be up front with them unless theyre your higher ups which gets a little touchy.

I would still draw a line, if anything return the favor and make it awkward for them sometimes without crossing the line to send them a subliminal message.

Last edited:

I'm becoming more and more swayed towards wanting to keep my culture alive, perhaps marry a chick who's also my ethnicity, and eventually pass the culture to my kids.

I am desperately trying to keep speaking Cantonese alive as much as I can. I try to watch as much Hong Kong movies as I can but the worst part about everything is I do not have any Asian friends. I am being serious too. There's just something about Asian people that they just do not like about me. I wish that I could make some Chinese friends just so I can speak with them but I'm considered a "jook sing" and I am not skinny and do not have blonde hair like the rest of them.

I take so much pride that I know how to speak another language and I plan to keep the Cantonese language alive to my seeds if I ever have some. I just wish they could see through that and know that I am a Chinese person and I take so much pride in it.

I am desperately trying to keep speaking Cantonese alive as much as I can. I try to watch as much Hong Kong movies as I can but the worst part about everything is I do not have any Asian friends. I am being serious too. There's just something about Asian people that they just do not like about me. I wish that I could make some Chinese friends just so I can speak with them but I'm considered a "jook sing" and I am not skinny and do not have blonde hair like the rest of them.

I take so much pride that I know how to speak another language and I plan to keep the Cantonese language alive to my seeds if I ever have some. I just wish they could see through that and know that I am a Chinese person and I take so much pride in it.
Move to a city with a large asian population.

Move to Hong Kong

These past few days has me wanting to move somewhere where we're the majority.

Got a chance to visit Russ & Daughters when I was in NY.

My goodness gracious 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Also, when I went to Baohaus on 14th I was pretty let down. 
ohwell.gif

Y'all been to slanted door? or Misson Chinese?

Seems like overpriced asian food

Last edited:
^ Mission Chinese is okay, but expensive for what it is

It's basically a hipster version of traditional Chinese food catered to goofy white folks who think they're "cultured" by eating it

Been wanting to try Mission Chinese. That thrice cooked bacon looks bomb af.

have fun in taipei bruh

been there every christmas past 3 years, but don't think i'll be going this year

Nawzlew Nawzlew about to fly back from Taipei tonight. I'm lucky that it's such a walkable city and easy to burn off calories in, because my diet for the past week has been :x :lol: So much cheap yet good food everywhere! The most expensive food I've had so far was Japanese food for 180 NTD, which is $5.70 USD. Most of my meals have been 15-50 NTD.

People here are very friendly and helpful even if you don't know the language (I only know the basic greetings in Mandarin). Public transportation is typical East Asian style, meaning that it's fast, efficient, affordable, and clean (makes US public transportation look 4th world). Nightlife is :pimp: here too. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too great this week, so not that many fine girls were out at the bars, but I still had a good time meeting English speaking locals and foreigners from all over the world.

Last edited:
have fun in taipei bruh

been there every christmas past 3 years, but don't think i'll be going this year

Nawzlew Nawzlew about to fly back from Taipei tonight. I'm lucky that it's such a walkable city and easy to burn off calories in, because my diet for the past week has been :x :lol: So much cheap yet good food everywhere! The most expensive food I've had so far was Japanese food for 180 NTD, which is $5.70 USD. Most of my meals have been 15-50 NTD.

People here are very friendly and helpful even if you don't know the language (I only know the basic greetings in Mandarin). Public transportation is typical East Asian style, meaning that it's fast, efficient, affordable, and clean (makes US public transportation look 4th world). Nightlife is :pimp: here too. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too great this week, so not that many fine girls were out at the bars, but I still had a good time meeting English speaking locals and foreigners from all over the world.

Nice! Glad you had a good time.

Yeah man, food is definitely the thing I miss the most. That and the ease of everything.

Damn Taipei sounds dope. I would love to visit. Pops went to Beijing last year and loved it.

Last edited:
I don't see why not if I took the time to learn Mandarin. The only thing I'm afraid of is the typical brutal humid Asian weather Taipei has during the summer :lol: I've experienced it when I used to live in different parts of Asia during the summer when I was younger, but staying in my relatives' air conditioned apartments all day is different than walking to work and taking a metro system that feels like an oven during that part of the year :lol: I don't think there's any getting used to it; my Taiwanese friend that lives there says he takes 3-4 showers daily during the summer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom