Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Either that or mafia members,taxi drivers with thick accents, run down Chinese restaurant owners, gas station attendants, etc. There's rarely any normal, everyday type of roles for Asian men.

Last edited:
Also consider the roles Asians get casted in and by whom.

We end up getting cast as nerds/frail dudes because of white casting executives.
Also funny how the white nerds end up getting laid in those movies and look "cool"

Reality is that most of them would have to pay a hooker to sleep with them Mountain Dew chugging Doritos eating son of a guns :lol:

You guys should watch Better Luck Tomorrow (if you haven't)
Great movie that breaks the "average Asian" casting stereotype

idk where you live, but I see less of the stereotype in LA
But I agree on how the stereotypical "weak" Asian male is formed by
been around Asians my whole life from Pdx to SoCal and they ganxSta wit it.. Here in NorCal these asianz are with the action. Us islanders click up with y'all behind the walls..
from mien cats, pinoy brodies, Viet/lao/Thai homies to the Hmong bros, even the Punjab brothas with it.

idk where you live, but I see less of the stereotype in LA
But I agree on how the stereotypical "weak" Asian male is formed by
been around Asians my whole life from Pdx to SoCal and they ganxSta wit it.. Here in NorCal these asianz are with the action. Us islanders click up with y'all behind the walls..
from mien cats, pinoy brodies, Viet/lao/Thai homies to the Hmong bros, even the Punjab brothas with it.
And you know the white media won't show the community together like that you know what I mean
It would destroy the model minority myth and the other stereotypes that are portrayed by those clowns
If you also noticed, all the Asian YouTube stars are from communities that are heavily populated with Asian Americans. We are trying to get our voices heard.
I'm also blessed to live in a community that is diverse of Asian races and Hispanics, it's great
I would feel alienated living in a white one that's for sure. After reading Eddie Huang's bio about growing up in Orlando and getting made fun of for eating "noodles that look like worms" and having Asian features, I would never want to move my family into a mostly white neighborhood. Wouldn't want my kid to be subject to such racism.

Last edited:
Either that or mafia members,taxi drivers with thick accents, run down Chinese restaurant owners, gas station attendants, etc. There's rarely any normal, everyday type of roles for Asian men.

Even shows / movies about hospitals or white collar businesses don't have Asians cast.

And you know the white media won't show the community together like that you know what I mean
It would destroy the model minority myth and the other stereotypes that are portrayed by those clowns

what purpose do you think the "model minority myth" serves? and why use asians (as broads as that term is) for this purpose?

i'm always a bit perplexed that people have the idea that the media (especially entertainment media) has this type of sinister agenda...isn't the easier explanation that this country is/was built to the advantage & service of white supremacy (this is a loaded term historically- but i think of this playing out in the world today as more of a strong bias) by default, therefore white people just generally don't have to or want to, put themselves in another person's skin and consider what their experiences are, ever; and you can see this with how some were bugging out about the luke cage netflix series being "too black" and not being able to relate (even in the culture at large with the whole kaepernick thing), whereas minorities all have to, to some extent, consider/deal/wrestle with whiteness both in media & real life in ways i'm not sure would even occur to most white folk...

i have to believe it is more out of their historical position of self centeredness, this oblique kind of disinterest/ignorance still persists, and that most non white representations rarely move beyond stereotypical roles...we tend to get their understanding of our (all minorities) stories rather than the nuanced distillation that comes from having 1st person experience...

if you think about translating one language to another, meanings rarely translate exactly 1:1, there are phrases,sayings, words, that just don't have equivalents; something is almost always lost. i think of much of entertainment is an attempt to translate and make digestible for white consumption, combine this with the FACT that entertainment media always catches wreck when they get it wrong with respect to finding the balance between respecting the source & trying to introduce/make palatable slightly unfamiliar non white stories to the (white) masses (i.e. this new bruce lee film, even eddie huang's own show - he disowned, basically it claiming they were white-washing his life), it feels like this could be remedied by included more diverse voices in decision making roles though even with the best most official representers for every ethnicity, there will be times even they won't get everything totally right, and people tend criticize those folks as not being "for the cause" or sellouts...

which brings me back to asking about this idea of being a "banana," i've never heard that term before...but its meaning is pretty obvious, and i would assume it would only be used by asians; would it be considered a serious insult and how common/pervasive is its use? and is their some set behaviors that would qualify/disqualify one being "asian," maybe it is more ethnically specific to groups, chinese, hindu, thai, etc.?

Last edited:
what purpose do you think the "model minority myth" serves? and why use asians (as broads as that term is) for this purpose?

i'm always a bit perplexed that people have the idea that the media (especially entertainment media) has this type of sinister agenda...isn't the easier explanation that this country is/was built to the advantage & service of white supremacy (this is a loaded term historically- but i think of this playing out in the world today as more of a strong bias) by default, therefore white people just generally don't have to or want to, put themselves in another person's skin and consider what their experiences are, ever; and you can see this with how some were bugging out about the luke cage netflix series being "too black" and not being able to relate (even in the culture at large with the whole kaepernick thing), whereas minorities all have to, to some extent, consider/deal/wrestle with whiteness both in media & real life in ways i'm not sure would even occur to most white folk...

i have to believe it is more out of their historical position of self centeredness, this oblique kind of disinterest/ignorance still persists, and that most non white representations rarely move beyond stereotypical roles...we tend to get their understanding of our (all minorities) stories rather than the nuanced distillation that comes from having 1st person experience...

if you think about translating one language to another, meanings rarely translate exactly 1:1, there are phrases,sayings, words, that just don't have equivalents; something is almost always lost. i think of much of entertainment is an attempt to translate and make digestible for white consumption, combine this with the FACT that entertainment media always catches wreck when they get it wrong with respect to finding the balance between respecting the source & trying to introduce/make palatable slightly unfamiliar non white stories to the (white) masses (i.e. this new bruce lee film, even eddie huang's own show - he disowned, basically it claiming they were white-washing his life), it feels like this could be remedied by included more diverse voices in decision making roles though even with the best most official representers for every ethnicity, there will be times even they won't get everything totally right, and people tend criticize those folks as not being "for the cause" or sellouts...

which brings me back to asking about this idea of being a "banana," i've never heard that term before...but its meaning is pretty obvious, and i would assume it would only be used by asians; would it be considered a serious insult and how common/pervasive is its use? and is their some set behaviors that would qualify/disqualify one being "asian," maybe it is more ethnically specific to groups, chinese, hindu, thai, etc.?

It was engineered to portray Asians as the "best" minority, giving them a false sense of entitlement. But this has some damning effects.

For one, Asians are less likely to give a damn about issues that effect other POC. I know quite a few folks who are Asian that identify as Republican and chalk up police brutality to, "Well, he/she resisted arrest" and whatnot. I'm not saying this is applicable to all, but I've definitely witnessed this first hand. You can see the solidarity between Black and Asian groups prior to the rise of the model minority myth through historical retrospectives.

Second, it creates division and self-loathing within the Asian-American community. The folks who've made it, so to speak, look down on those who don't. I think what I've found is that so many Asian immigrants truly believe in the American Dream; the thing is that so many factors contribute to one's economic status and the way the system is built, it's really hard for immigrants to ascend past their economic standing.

Going off of that, people generally assume that Asian folks have it the "easiest" out of all minority groups. Simply not the case. You can point to immigrants from China, Korea and Japan and say, "All Asians are successful" but Asia is much bigger than those three countries (Well Asia doesn't really exist, but that's not the point of this conversation). The Vietnamese, Hmong, Laotians, etc. are all scattered across the Midwest facing economic struggles but people wouldn't generally know that because of a lack of representation in the media. Aside from that, you don't have to be dirt poor to be struggling. I'm very privileged and grateful that I came from an upper middle class family but growing up as a very small minority in a town with few like us, I dealt with racism from others damn near everyday.

Perhaps the most notable harm the Model Minority myth accomplishes is the destruction of our histories of oppression and solidarity. We never learned about how the Japanese were kept in internment camps in the U.S. during WWII, and I would consider that one of the more well known events in Asian American history. And I guarantee you most folks wouldn't even know about that event either if you asked them right off the top. Very few curriculums (if any) will mention the hardships of living in America during the 19th/20th century or the solidarity between Blacks and Asians prior to the Model Minority myth. Here's a few examples:

• Civil Rights movements helped end racist immigration laws against South Asians.
  • In the late 1960s, Asian Americans were part of the Third World Liberation Strikes in Berkeley that launched the Black Power movement and inspired the Yellow Power movement.
  • Asian American activists like Grace Lee Boggs and Yuri Kochiyama worked hard to build interracial solidarity and worked closely with leaders like Malcolm X.

I drew some of this from previous knowledge and from this article. Give it a read if you can: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/04/dismantle-model-minority-myth/

You brought up some good points though. I reckon that it is both - the media is sinister and doing its best to uphold white supremacy, even if they are completely unaware of it.

Last edited:
You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

There is no systematic oppression  from whites to asians. 

Yall literally outperform us for the most part.

if my white kid got put in school today in china as the only white boy in class,  he would get picked on every bit as much as eddie huang did in orlando in 1986.

My gf grew up in as one of the only Asians in a place called Chilliwack. She got made fun of and felt alone. 

Kids are mean.  You can teach them right from wrong but they wont morally grasp racial implications for years after you say " now little jimmy, hes just like you, thats not how we treat people. "

I actually have to deal with a "tiger mom" now who thinks im not good enough for her daughter, likely because she witnessed a bunch of 10 year olds be mean almost 20 years ago.

I wont pretend asian white relations are perfect but for every white dude getting over on asians there is an asian getting over on white dudes.

I often times wish the past didnt happen and me and my gf could live free of everyones biases and mistrust.

Thats the thing about canada tho... it can only succeed if people let go of the past.

if my white kid got put in school today in china as the only white boy in class,  he would get picked on every bit as much as eddie huang did in orlando in 1986.
My gf grew up in as one of the only Asians in a place called Chilliwack. She got made fun of and felt alone. 
Kids are mean.  You can teach them right from wrong but they wont morally grasp racial implications for years after you say " now little jimmy, hes just like you, thats not how we treat people. "

I actually have to deal with a "tiger mom" now who thinks im not good enough for her daughter, likely because she witnessed a bunch of 10 year olds be mean almost 20 years ago.
I wont pretend asian white relations are perfect but for every white dude getting over on asians there is an asian getting over on white dudes.
I often times wish the past didnt happen and me and my gf could live free of everyones biases and mistrust.
Thats the thing about canada tho... it can only succeed if people let go of the past.

Dude, that's not even CLOSE to being true. This is a mad ignorant statement.

Outperform you where? Academically? How well do you think that translates us to getting hired, much less in higher up positions? School isn't everything.

And I'm not trying to come at you, but you cited one example and your own personal anecdotes to prove your point. That's just not valid at all.

Respek :pimp:

And colleges used the Model Minority myth to disadvantage Asians. It's harder for Asian folks to get into college because their standards are different from the rest. Harvard was recently accused of racial bias against ian students.

https://www.admitsee.com/blog/do-colleges-expect-higher-scores-asian-applicants
We live different places bro.  Asians have no problem dominating our universities here.

I cant go be the only white guy in a chinese village and expect privilege or even to be seen as equal. 

White people are somehow expected to be perfect angels while getting called the devil.

While black people had zero choice, many asians chose to insert themselves as the only asian in town. 

I understand the climate of this site is bash white people at all costs but to draw parallels between slavery and being accepted as a financial immigrant is a damn reach.

There is NO, I repeat NO council of old white men meeting to draw up policies to hold asians down.

If there was, trust that asians are smart enough to form their own council to combat it.

We are looking to do business

You want a reason to throw dirt and join the kaepernick squad

Last edited:
I think you should look into chinas current relationship with Africa before accusing us anyway.

For one, Asians are less likely to give a damn about issues that effect other POC. I know quite a few folks who are Asian that identify as Republican and chalk up police brutality to, "Well, he/she resisted arrest" and whatnot. I'm not saying this is applicable to all, but I've definitely witnessed this first hand. You can see the solidarity between Black and Asian groups prior to the rise of the model minority myth through historical retrospectives.

Second, it creates division and self-loathing within the Asian-American community. The folks who've made it, so to speak, look down on those who don't. I think what I've found is that so many Asian immigrants truly believe in the American Dream; the thing is that so many factors contribute to one's economic status and the way the system is built, it's really hard for immigrants to ascend past their economic standing.

Going off of that, people generally assume that Asian folks have it the "easiest" out of all minority groups. Simply not the case. You can point to immigrants from China, Korea and Japan and say, "All Asians are successful" but Asia is much bigger than those three countries (Well Asia doesn't really exist, but that's not the point of this conversation). The Vietnamese, Hmong, Laotians, etc. are all scattered across the Midwest facing economic struggles but people wouldn't generally know that because of a lack of representation in the media. Aside from that, you don't have to be dirt poor to be struggling. I'm very privileged and grateful that I came from an upper middle class family but growing up as a very small minority in a town with few like us, I dealt with racism from others damn near everyday.

Perhaps the most notable harm the Model Minority myth accomplishes is the destruction of our histories of oppression and solidarity. We never learned about how the Japanese were kept in internment camps in the U.S. during WWII, and I would consider that one of the more well known events in Asian American history. And I guarantee you most folks wouldn't even know about that event either if you asked them right off the top. Very few curriculums (if any) will mention the hardships of living in America during the 19th/20th century or the solidarity between Blacks and Asians prior to the Model Minority myth. Here's a few examples:

• Civil Rights movements helped end racist immigration laws against South Asians.
  • In the late 1960s, Asian Americans were part of the Third World Liberation Strikes in Berkeley that launched the Black Power movement and inspired the Yellow Power movement.
  • Asian American activists like Grace Lee Boggs and Yuri Kochiyama worked hard to build interracial solidarity and worked closely with leaders like Malcolm X.

I drew some of this from previous knowledge and from this article. Give it a read if you can: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/04/dismantle-model-minority-myth/

You brought up some good points though. I reckon that it is both - the media is sinister and doing its best to uphold white supremacy, even if they are completely unaware of it.

the lack of visibility politically & on social issues has definitely been something that i have always wondered about, but this could be just because i'm not looking...i always kind of attributed it to the difference, culturally & philosophically, between eastern & western views on the roles of individuals.

it's wild the only reason i even know of laotians is from a cartoon sitcom..."asian" is definitely too broad a term. will check out those links

while to some extent i would say there is some inherent tribalism in the human condition or in the way(s) we are socialized, acknowledging that is to recognize that we create systems that work to the disadvantage of peoples that are different/in the minority; but just by the numbers your assertion of "for every white dude getting over on asians there is an asian getting over on white dudes" is wrong- at least in the west...

Last edited:
Wait hold up, my point was not white oppression on Asian American rights
My point was that the mainstream media (majority owned by white people) doesn't give much of a voice to Asian Americans and pretty much most of what I see is either they see when they portray the average Asian American is 1)they look Chinese 2)they have an accent 3)they are frail and weak minded 4)they know karate
And it does trickle into American society how people perceive Asian Americans

Also this happened just 2-3 years ago
take the case of the “Jimmy Kimmel Live” show in which Kimmel engaged in a roundtable with children regarding the United States’ $1.3-trillion debt to China. When one of the kids suggested that the U.S. should “kill everyone in China,” Kimmel responded by saying, “That’s an interesting idea.” He later apologized after massive protests by Chinese Americans. (If the child had said, “kill all black people,” the segment most likely would never have been aired, but never mind.)

In America, we could easily be made as weak targets. Trump has tried the same rhetoric. I don't know how it is in Canada, but it's not always flowers here in the USA.

And just because there are high educational levels for Chinese and Indian folks doesn't mean the whole "Asian" race is doing well
What about the Hmong, Laotian, Camobodian, and Vietnamese folks?

Vietnamese Americans only have a college degree attainment rate of 16%, only about one-quarter the rate for other Asian American ethnic groups. Further, Laotians, Cambodians, and Khmer only have rates around 5%.

Another irony surrounding Asian Americans being labeled the "model minority" is that it can actually backfire to their detriment. Specifically, beginning in the 1980s, many more Asian Americans were applying to college than before. Soon, it became common for 10%, 15%, or more of a given university's student population to be of Asian ancestry at a time when Asians were only about 3% of the general population. As a result, many universities actually became alarmed at the growing Asian American student population on their campuses, so much so that once the Asian proportion of their student population reached 10%-15%, they began to reject Asian students who were clearly qualified. Soon, Asian Americans were accusing universities such as U.C. Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, and Brown of imposing a quota or upper limit on their admission numbers. After several protests and investigations, these universities admitted that there were problems with these admission procedures but never admitted any deliberate wrongdoing.

Soon thereafter, many opponents of affirmative action began to argue that these Asian American students were "victims" of affirmative action, just like Whites. In other words, these Asian American students were being denied admission when other "less qualified" ethnic groups (implying Blacks, Latinos, and American Indians) were being admitted.

We live different places bro.  Asians have no problem dominating our universities here.
I cant go be the only white guy in a chinese village and expect privilege or even to be seen as equal. 
White people are somehow expected to be perfect angels while getting called the devil.
While black people had zero choice, many asians chose to insert themselves as the only asian in town. 

I understand the climate of this site is bash white people at all costs but to draw parallels between slavery and being accepted as a financial immigrant is a damn reach.

There is NO, I repeat NO council of old white men meeting to draw up policies to hold asians down.
If there was, trust that asians are smart enough to form their own council to combat it.
We are looking to do business
You want a reason to throw dirt and join the kaepernick squad

I'm assuming you're from Canada, yes?

77% of Canadians are "Europeans" which for this sake, means white.

White people have much more privilege than anyone else in this society. You bring up an example about being the only white guy in a Chinese village, well there are TONS of Asian folks who go into predominantly white cities and feel automatically alienated because of the racial difference.

Even in a fairly diverse town where only 54% of the population is white, I was discriminated against since kindergarten.

Take a look at the majority of representatives and public officials who write and pass laws and tell me they don't have a thing in common.

Asians don't have power within institutions because of institutional racism. Just look at employment statistics for Asians compared to whites.

I think you should look into chinas current relationship with Africa before accusing us anyway.

I'm well aware of this relationship. China and Africa have had a working business relationship for centuries actually.

It was engineered to portray Asians as the "best" minority, giving them a false sense of entitlement. But this has some damning effects.

So in your opinion, other than white women, what minority group has it the easiest?

And you're right about not many knowing about the Japanese Internment Camps during WWII, however, they were compensated for that....Actually, every group except black people have been compensated for the things this country has done to them on U.S.

To me it seems like most of the damaging effects of the model minority theory tend to be inter-cultural.

Lastly, if there's anything Asian-Americans should take from black people in America is letting your heritage and history be known. U can't sit around and wait for the majority of this nation to pay their respects to your iconic figures and cultures because you'll be waiting forever, yall as a collective have to do it.

Last edited:
So in your opinion, other than white women, what minority group has it the easiest?

And you're right about not many knowing about the Japanese Internment Camps during WWII, however, they were compensated for that....Actually, every group except black people have been compensated for the things this country has done to them on U.S.

To me it seems like most of the damaging effects of the model minority theory tend to be inter-cultural.

Lastly, if there's anything Asian-Americans should take from black people in America is letting your heritage and history be known. U can't sit around and wait for the majority of this nation to pay their respects to your iconic figures and cultures because you'll be waiting forever, yall as a collective have to do it.

I feel like answering this question is disingenuous. All minorities have specific issues and by deciding who has it the "easiest" ends up translating to "Who has struggled less so that I can not care as much or even ignore their injustices"

There are groups that speak out about injustices towards Asians/Asian-Americans but they don't have the clout to make noise because of racism, among other things. When an Asian person complains about racism, it's never taken seriously. Partly due to the fact that since Asians have it the "easiest", they don't face racism.

I definitely appreciate the Asian work ethic. Whole county is on Hurricane warning and the only places open are the chinese take out joints around the way.

$5 wing and fried rice combo saving me right now

I feel like answering this question is disingenuous. All minorities have specific issues and by deciding who has it the "easiest" ends up translating to "Who has struggled less so that I can not care as much or even ignore their injustices"

There are groups that speak out about injustices towards Asians/Asian-Americans but they don't have the clout to make noise because of racism, among other things. When an Asian person complains about racism, it's never taken seriously. Partly due to the fact that since Asians have it the "easiest", they don't face racism.

Plus that last assumption

The implication that Asian Americans have never stood up to White Racism :smh:

View media item 2190056
View media item 2190057
View media item 2190058
View media item 2190059
Mass media doesn't show this because it doesn't fit the narrative of the obedient Asian

I definitely appreciate the Asian work ethic. Whole county is on Hurricane warning and the only places open are the chinese take out joints around the way.

There could be meteors falling from the sky and people will know they'll still be able to get a lunch or dinner combo from the takeout spot. They're appreciated the days before a holiday when you don't want to focus on cooking.

definitely agree, to answer this is a losing proposition because everyone has their individual struggles & it kinda positions people in opposition, instead of really making the effort to understand one another it becomes a" who had/has it the worst contest" and while i suppose there is an objective answer to the question, it would require a level objectivity that escapes most of us...

#hilarious! good luck out there homie, seem like a legit danger if you are in the path of matthew #besafetho!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom