Anyone catching flack for not voting/being unenthused about voting?

I got your back OP. I also told my mother that I have no interest in voting and that I shouldn't be obligated to just like no one's obligated to subscribe to a religion. She got mad and yelled for what seemed to be 30 minutes. I feel like I'm just going to vote in order to save myself from the scorn that I will receive and just try to mirror the voting choices of my parents and brother. It may be a "vote of ignorance" but to me,my immediate family especially my parents only have my best interests in mind when it comes to their vote so as far as I am concerned their votes may as well be my vote.

I am also black since the thread made that turn.

I can understand where your coming from and feel why some beleive that voting is a waste of their time,espacially now with the way the economy,the shortage of decent paying jobs and the cost of living steadly rising.It feels like its setup for The common working poor man and woman to finish last no matter if they vote or not.Your going to get opinions,short and long on why you should vote,the importance of voting and the whole historicial battle that went on for you to be able to vote.But in my opinion,its up to you and you have that right to excersize your choice to do as you want,and to voice your opinion negetive or positive about anything you choose.Your opinion will be 1 out of millions that call America home;And to be frank with you the majority of the people of this nation are overly-opinionated,lazy,hypocrites but their voters.....so let em vote.
:smokin:Im voting,just to see a black family in the WHITEHOUSE for another four years...., thats my primary reason(really health-care),that alone will piss some folks off but its something I can live with and after the Obama's leave we can go find Allen Keys,Jesse Jackson .sr,the homie louis farrakhan....lol why not,that lane is opening up since ol'Mitt stepped to run.

I can appreciate you being honest. It's like I told my aunt. People ought to vote for what's important to them. Which is all a matter of opinion. Repped.

Of the 50+ responses, roughly 5 people stayed on topic with their replies.

my thoughts EXACTLY during obamas inaugural run at office...90% of my friends voted for him simply because he was black...didnt need to look any further than that...

dudes let puff daddy ads pressure them into voting....dudes were voting for the complete wrong reasons...
but how is voting for him because he is black any different then voting at all because ur ancestors died for u to vote? I agree to an extent with iblink. Their would be some actual validity to vote if the system truely was governed and operated as it portrays itself to be. If everything was up and up, all votes were actually counted etc... but to vote based on a idealogy which is proven to be false and voting based on the principles and image of what the govt. etc gives as what its all about, as oppose to what the truth actually is... to some seem kinda pointless.

I was the same way last election and didnt vote. This year I believe I will because I paid plenty more attention than the last. Although I know the way my state will swing I am going to go out and vote.

When I was younger and in college I didn't really care, didn't vote in 2004. Didn't vote because I told myself my vote didn't matter.

I've matured and got some perspective, voted in 2008, and reading up on all the propositions that will affect my Country, State, County and City. I'm still on the fence about voting for President, not a fan of either candidate but definitely voting on the propositions.

You think I'm gonna chill on the one day my *** can check CNN for a process I participated in, lol...I pay my taxes !!!

Race had nothing to do with the topic. Guy posted an atrocious picture and completely derailed the thread. And you all have nerve to chastise me?
Dude asked me what I've done with my "knowledge". Get real. I've broken down debates for my family, told them about fact checkers, encouraged them to look beyond race in the election and to focus on the issues that are important to them when it comes to casting their ballots. I'm not one of those people touting the "it's pointless to vote" horn. So miss me with that. Show me once where I said I wasn't voting because I thought there was no point.
Dudes coming at me on that "your people died for the right to vote". MY people died for a lot of things. Blacks died for the freedom of speech, yet I don't see you all protesting rap music that glorifies drug dealers who claim to have made a killing by distributing to the black community. I don't see you all in an uproar to stand against a govenement that would allow for ENVIORNMENTAL discrimination. You all walk around with your chests puffed out as if you're doing so much to aid the black plight... By posting pictures of a man being lynched because be supported a system that gave two ***** about him. Instead of seeking for the reformation of that same system, you all argue with me for not uplifting it. Again... Bravo.
"Fake smart" dudes come up with a counter argument, get on their soap box, and act like they're speaking from divinity. **** out of here.
Thenvote for change, ****, write in your name for Christ sakes. I understand the apathy brotha, but it ain't the answer.

Last edited:
That was primarily towards the dudes who were coming at me earlier on the racial argument.

But thing is, I never once stated the reasons why I would opt out of voting, and I definitely never said it had anything to do with racial sentiment.

I feel what you're saying Kix. But the thread was made intentionally deviod of political rhetoric in an attempt to keep other issues out of the conversation. There's already an election thread. If I wanted to discuss people's reasons for not voting, or how race has played a role in the political sphere/the shaping of America, I would have posted in there. This thread was only made to find out about the different reactions folks were getting from friends and family when they voiced that they weren't voting this year.

Not voting.

I refuse to vote in a system that allows the uneducated to vote. What's the point in voting when an educated voter who knows what each candidates agendas are has the same power as some shmuck who doesnt even know how to spell the candidates names?

Also, a 2 party system is inherently flawed, especially ours. It's very well possible that a candidate can win when they lose the popular vote but win the electoral vote (which is what matters). Also I wouldnt consider someone who wins 50.1% of the vote to be the best person to run a country. How can the people of that country get behind the winner when almost half of the voters were against them?

This thread is the prime example of why I don't discuss my political views because everybody thinks they are right and the others viewpoint is never appreciated. This is why America is a great country to live but garbage when it comes to respect ones views and trying to impede some bodies life with rhetoric that has been passed down from previous generations, I.e. the bible and politics.At the end of the day all this **** is corrupt and we are seeing a new world order(no illuminati, conspiracy theory person) but if your *** ain't a billionaire or lobbyist, Romney, Obama, Ron Paul,Donald triumph, rush limbs ugh, list goes on and on doesn't give two sh*ts about you, your rights or your family

"I don't vote because I'm ignorant of politics and rather not dilute the count of those who are actually more informed in government policy with my bias of popular opinion."

Would this be a liable reason not to vote OP?

Not voting.

I refuse to vote in a system that allows the uneducated to vote. What's the point in voting when an educated voter who knows what each candidates agendas are has the same power as some shmuck who doesnt even know how to spell the candidates names?

Also, a 2 party system is inherently flawed, especially ours. It's very well possible that a candidate can win when they lose the popular vote but win the electoral vote (which is what matters). Also I wouldnt consider someone who wins 50.1% of the vote to be the best person to run a country. How can the people of that country get behind the winner when almost half of the voters were against them?

Can you answer this for me? Did educated people lead us into Iraq? Did educated people on Wall Street cause the financial crisis?

bruh... i thought i was the only one..

i dont vote simply b/c

1. the vote dont count
2. i'm not about to make an uninformed decision.

i dont care to read up on political views, so i just dont do it...

my momb was PISSED.. and i understand why...

still doesnt mean i have to vote.

"I don't vote because I'm ignorant of politics and rather not dilute the count of those who are actually more informed in government policy with my bias of popular opinion."

I'd respect someone not voting because they're admittedly not informed on the issues. A blind vote is hardly beneficial to anyone (apart from the candidate). As much as it is their right to vote, it's also their right to educate themselves in order to make an informed choice.

Is that what you were getting at?

I think that anyone who doesn't vote is a sucker. It's not just about the presidential race. It's also about YOUR local county and state races. For example, I'm in Arizona and we have this Sheriff Joe problem. I personally think he's the devil and is an outdated cowboy/gangster operating in a changing demographic. It's time for him to go. And not to mention the many different prop *insert number here* you should vote on.

If you complain later on about something in your locale or state that you feel isn't right, you should've voted.

For everyone bold enough, and honest enough not to vote because you don't consider yourself informed enough... Thank you!

That is my reason!

while I think its important for your demographic to be represented well I also think its a little irresponsible to vote if you didnt really put the time into learning about it

What?? I felt the same about not voting last month but it's not everyday you vote for a president. I registered last month just a few days before the deadline and decided to get well informed on the candidates position on issues.

Back
Top Bottom