and we're done

Awesome!!!! pic.twitter.com/Uy24nrY8JK
— Metta World Peace (@MettaWorldPeace) July 16, 2013

Am I crazy to think the Knicks can be legitimate contenders next season?

Can you ask that question in the NBA thread so I can answer it honestly and objectively without looking like acb trolling team threads?

I honestly would like to give my opinion but I don't wanna anger anyone or disrupt your thread.
As long as you answer it honestly and objectively it's no problem. We welcome that kind of discussion here.

I honestly just personally feel you guys shot yourselves in the foot by resigning JR.

I mean, I understand the need for scoring especially off the bench. And I understand he provides a lot of energy and clutch shots from time to time...

But he doesn't make your teammates any better. It's hard for players like Prig to develop, contribute, or let alone get minutes with JR in the game so much. Woodson obviously has some kind of deep loyalty to this dude that I just can't understand. He's shooting 2-14 like 3 games in a row and he sticks with him for entire halves.

All he does is disrupt the flow of the team when he's shooting that badly. A lot of useless dribbling, a lot of "hero ball" (word to Kobe on occasion :lol: )... A lot of messing up chemistry and development of younger players in my opinion.

I really think they should of kept Copeland and let JR move on to another team. They could of added a few extra younger players to develop with that money. Not to mention, even though its reported Amare won't be playing past 20 minutes a night next season... He definitely can't contribute off the bench when JR is in. I mean its just setting up fans to hate Amare even more.

Not only can he barely play because of injuries, but when he's in he either has to play along side Melo (which is proven to just not work for him)... Or play along JR... Which is almost the same situation for him. Low touches, low scoring, low productivity... And you're paying this guy how much money for those 20 minutes? 20 million a year?

I just don't get it. You made such a big investment in Amare, and I know he's hurt. But if he can give you 20 minutes don't you want him to at least be a focal point of the offense for those 20 minutes? To at least contribute a nice 12 and 8 or so... To make fans feel a "little" better about his contract and his lack of value right now?

Just my opinion.

I guess it's more of a diss of JR than anything :lol: I mean I like the guy as a basketball fan, he's entertaining. He can drain shots most people can't even dream of making. But if I was a Knicks fan, I just wouldn't be happy with the lack of pass-first players and the over abundance of shoot-first players. Oh and a useless Amare...

*hides with flame suit on*

Mean no disrespect to your team. Just my honest feelings about the situation.

na that's a solid post LTB. i guess they went with JR since he's more of a proven commodity than Cope. I'm just happy we didn't give Earl 8-10 mill a year. the amare situation is tough. with the way woody rarely runs an offense, stat and melo struggle together, even more so when tyson is there as well. hopefully this year that's addressed and we see these guys in better position to score so we dont have to worry about playing melo ball or hanging onto jr's back.

If JR is having one of those 2-16 games, I wanna see Woodson pull him out of the game and not let him shoot his way out of the slump.

Well STAT Can give us 15 when he gets in game shape but I don't know what that 8 would be (maybe he's worked on his passing). As for JR not making players better. He isn't suppose to. He's a 6th man coming off the bench. I don't know many in that same role are asked to make his teammates better on other teams.

The idea that we didn't need to resign JR cuz we already have other guys on the team that can fill his role is stupid and flat out wrong. There seems to be too much focus on STAT in those regards as if he's gonna be phenomenal every 20 min, that's just hopeful thinking. We also didn't need Cope back, nothing special about his game that couldn't be replaced. Now if there was some othe FA out there just as good we could've got for the same price instead of JR you might have a point.

Last edited:
I honestly just personally feel you guys shot yourselves in the foot by resigning JR.

I mean, I understand the need for scoring especially off the bench. And I understand he provides a lot of energy and clutch shots from time to time...

But he doesn't make your teammates any better. It's hard for players like Prig to develop, contribute, or let alone get minutes with JR in the game so much. Woodson obviously has some kind of deep loyalty to this dude that I just can't understand. He's shooting 2-14 like 3 games in a row and he sticks with him for entire halves.

All he does is disrupt the flow of the team when he's shooting that badly. A lot of useless dribbling, a lot of "hero ball" (word to Kobe on occasion :lol: )... A lot of messing up chemistry and development of younger players in my opinion.

I really think they should of kept Copeland and let JR move on to another team. They could of added a few extra younger players to develop with that money. Not to mention, even though its reported Amare won't be playing past 20 minutes a night next season... He definitely can't contribute off the bench when JR is in. I mean its just setting up fans to hate Amare even more.

Not only can he barely play because of injuries, but when he's in he either has to play along side Melo (which is proven to just not work for him)... Or play along JR... Which is almost the same situation for him. Low touches, low scoring, low productivity... And you're paying this guy how much money for those 20 minutes? 20 million a year?

I just don't get it. You made such a big investment in Amare, and I know he's hurt. But if he can give you 20 minutes don't you want him to at least be a focal point of the offense for those 20 minutes? To at least contribute a nice 12 and 8 or so... To make fans feel a "little" better about his contract and his lack of value right now?

Just my opinion.

I guess it's more of a diss of JR than anything :lol: I mean I like the guy as a basketball fan, he's entertaining. He can drain shots most people can't even dream of making. But if I was a Knicks fan, I just wouldn't be happy with the lack of pass-first players and the over abundance of shoot-first players. Oh and a useless Amare...

*hides with flame suit on*

Mean no disrespect to your team. Just my honest feelings about the situation.

Thanks for posting....

Here is my take:

he's our scoring off the bench. We dont really need him to make players better (even tho i think other players feed off his energy and he does set up his teammates nicely). Priggs is 48, what is he developing into at this point? We couldn't afford Cope. period. JR got the contract he got because of his early bird rights. There wasn't an option, or at least a good one, to replace JR.

Yea LTB, like Los just said, we had early bird rights. If we didn't sign him we couldn't have gone out there and signed a decent player. As much as I don't like to say it, we needed him. He's better than nothing.

I agree with alot of what you said, I personally don't think JR should be allowed to dribble more than 3 times on any possession and I wish he would learn (or Woodson could set an offense up) to come off screens and shoot - instead of him using the iso and step back jumper every god damn time.

*btw LTB I'm allowing you to change your avy now, you've handled it like a champ and stuck to your word.

Last edited:
Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 21h

@mettaworldpeace going home to NYC and the Knicks. Best wishes, Ronnie, will be rooting for you. They’ll need your D.

Pause.

NYC ladies better watch out for the D and Pipe.

Last edited:
Jr is a bargain, lucky to have him still. Team would be much worse off without him.
qft
we just got jr got cheap... again. not every player needs to make other players better. hes not a point guard. he makes the team better by scoring.

you want to mention stat? let's look at his history here in nyc.
3 seasons now and he's missed too many games due to injury. we can't expect him to be healthy and productive

Bargnani - replaces Copeland, and is a bigger threat than him imo
THJ - another guy that can come in and score if JR is bricking
Prigs - more minutes to him with Kidd gone
MWP - takes pressure of Shump and Melo defensively
Shump - he's gonna get more touches now and will be better, him and MWP probably the best 2-3 defenders in league

We many not be contenders yet (still have 3 open roster spots), but we are DEFINITELY better than last year. So are other teams in the East, but i'm not worried about the Nets. Granger will be at 50% at best. Only teams i'm worried about are the Bulls and Heat.

Clearly now our main focus should be another PG and big men.

Last edited:
Yea LTB, like Los just said, we had early bird rights. If we didn't sign him we couldn't have gone out there and signed a decent player. As much as I don't like to say it, we needed him. He's better than nothing.

I agree with alot of what you said, I personally don't think JR should be allowed to dribble more than 3 times on any possession and I wish he would learn (or Woodson could set an offense up) to come off screens and shoot - instead of him using the iso and step back jumper every god damn time.

*btw LTB I'm allowing you to change your avy now, you've handled it like a champ and stuck to your word.

Thanks man. Laker fans have been bugging me to change it for the last few days they're saying it hurts their eyes :lol: just wanted to make sure I made up for the week I missed. :pimp:

And thanks for all the responses. I guess I understand a little better why you guys had to resign him. Under those circumstances I can see how any team would rather resign him than have no fire power off the bench.

Back
Top Bottom