All Things Sports Media Thread!!

I didn't anticipate this but have we lost Andy Greenwald's "journalistic integrity" in a way, since his podcasts will now all be powered by the same platform as The Leftovers, GOT, etc.?

I mean, he seems to have flipped on The Leftovers and I agree, the season's better, but the 180-degree flip was really quick in his case - and it just so happened to align with his move to HBO.

Everything HBO will be biased ...they pay the bills but luckily there's way more tv/movies to cover that has not one damn thing to do with HBO. His integrity isn't going anywhere.

Random but I checked out sound cloud to see what kinda listens bill and the others got. Was shocked at the number since it doesn't account for the other platforms.

We'll see re: other stuff, I mean, GOT's return will bring GOT-exclusive pods between he and Chris Ryan, and I hate that I have to think about whether or not they like it now. If the season's lesser in quality than some of the past (I doubt it, but for the sake of this) then their opinions will be colored. Either way.

What were the SoundCloud #s?

I didn't anticipate this but have we lost Andy Greenwald's "journalistic integrity" in a way, since his podcasts will now all be powered by the same platform as The Leftovers, GOT, etc.?

I mean, he seems to have flipped on The Leftovers and I agree, the season's better, but the 180-degree flip was really quick in his case - and it just so happened to align with his move to HBO.

Greenwald has no involvement with the Simmons/HBO deal. That's a completely separate thing. The podcast is independent. He even said so on Twitter after people kept calling him out on "The Leftovers." He got so irritated that he started slamming HBO shows he doesn't like just to prove a point. Also, pretty much every TV critic has done a 180 on "The Leftovers" this season. It's not just Greenwald. Hell, I have friends who have told me "read a recap of Season 1, then actually watch Season 2."

He, specifically, has no involvement with Simmons' HBO deal specifically (don't know who said different) but he certainly has involvement with HBO now.

He will be doing podcasts and writing a book that he's always had on the docket if I understand correctly. So literally, he works for HBO. That's undeniable. "Slamming HBO shows just to prove a point" doesn't matter to me - and actually, if others have thought the same way I have and tweeted him about it, and it truly was a nonsensical take, Greenwald wouldn't even have reacted that way at all. He would've shrugged it off with a clever tweet about how foolish that is, not react in a way to try to underline the opposite.

But nah, as you say, he didn't do that he just slammed HBO shows. For Greenwald's situation in particular, his move to HBO has a greater chance of taking away his journalistic sensibilities over time than say, a well-respected reporter who took a job at ESPN and could potentially slide his takes to the games they're airing. ESPN has a megadeal to broadcast the NFL, they didn't create the NFL to broadcast on their network. So it's entirely beyond that. Greenwald's podcasts are now ON the same -> podcast network -> that's on HBO -> a network that has shows - the best shows - that are powered/created by, yup, HBO.

Last edited:
Plus Andy pretty much trashed every ABC show. And unlike with HBO, he actually worked for them. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
He, specifically, has no involvement with Simmons' HBO deal specifically (don't know who said different) but he certainly has involvement with HBO now.

He will be doing podcasts and writing a book that he's always had on the docket if I understand correctly. So literally, he works for HBO. That's undeniable. "Slamming HBO shows just to prove a point" doesn't matter to me - and actually, if others have thought the same way I have and tweeted him about it, and it truly was a nonsensical take, Greenwald wouldn't even have reacted that way at all. He would've shrugged it off with a clever tweet about how foolish that is, not react in a way to try to underline the opposite.

But nah, as you say, he didn't do that he just slammed HBO shows. For Greenwald's situation in particular, his move to HBO has a greater chance of taking away his journalistic sensibilities over time than say, a well-respected reporter who took a job at ESPN and could potentially slide his takes to the games they're airing. ESPN has a megadeal to broadcast the NFL, they didn't create the NFL to broadcast on their network. So it's entirely beyond that. Greenwald's podcasts are now ON the same -> podcast network -> that's on HBO -> a network that has shows - the best shows - that are powered/created by, yup, HBO.

He literally said it himself.

This is gonna come up a lot, so let me clarify: I do not work for HBO. I have a podcasting contract w/ Bill Simmons. https://t.co/YQV3xjPWrR
— Andy Greenwald (@andygreenwald) November 16, 2015

Also, his book deal is with Ecco publishers, which is part of Harper Collins, which owned by NewsCorp. He even joked in a recent tweet that he was writing columns under his "alias", Alan Sepinwall. He submitted a Top 10 list to HitFix today, but that's about all he's done.

Am I wrong to think that that means Bill Simmons, personally, is paying his salary/returns for podcasts then? :lol: I mean, how does that work?

Last edited:
We'll see re: other stuff, I mean, GOT's return will bring GOT-exclusive pods between he and Chris Ryan, and I hate that I have to think about whether or not they like it now. If the season's lesser in quality than some of the past (I doubt it, but for the sake of this) then their opinions will be colored. Either way.

What were the SoundCloud #s?
didn't listen to the GOTs podcast that grantland had.. because I like a spoiler heavy one that makes comparisons with the books..

but last season was definitely not as good as the previous seasons

Am I wrong to think that that means Bill Simmons, personally, is paying his salary/returns for podcasts then?
laugh.gif
I mean, how does that work?
I'm pretty sure he is.

Read something the other week about some guy Simmons personally hired from the NFL network (i think) to help him w/ his new show

Am I wrong to think that that means Bill Simmons, personally, is paying his salary/returns for podcasts then?
laugh.gif
I mean, how does that work?
Well presumably the Bill Simmons Podcast Network (or w/e) is its own company now, disassociated from HBO.  And HBO has him on contract only for the tv show specifically.  It's not like they are hosting writing and podcasts in the same way as ESPN anyway.

Even separate though if that's the case - AG is making $ from someone/some enterprise.

Both were extremely fair in the recent pod (even shots at HBO with TD Season 2/Leftover comps). It was encouraging but they can be good for a network if they Vader them so idk. keep a close eye. :lol:

Last edited:
Even separate though if that's the case - AG is making $ from someone/some enterprise.

Right. From Bill Simmons' Podcast Network. It's independent from HBO. It's not unlike what Carolla did, as he built up a completely independent empire with multiple shows that is funded mostly by advertising dollars. Except, he built a huge studio, has a bunch of employees and loves exotic cars, so he supports the endeavor with live shows and other business ventures (Mangria). In addition, he does a hit home makeover show on Spike. That's what these people do: they dabble in different mediums that are completely independent of each other. And they make lots of money doing it.

Also, look at Bill Maher. If he had his own podcast. It would be Bill Maher's podcast, done either independently or through an established podcast network. But it wouldn't be associated with HBO, even though he does "Real Time." Those are two entirely different business ventures for him.

Ah well good looks, thanks for the heads up that's interesting and a lot of it depends on Bill being able to navigate different platforms. Hmm

Last edited:
Stugotz is the best thing to happen in sports media in a long time, granted he's been around. Him and Lebatard are the best 1-2 punch in sports media.

Stugotz is the best thing to happen in sports media in a long time, granted he's been around. Him and Lebatard are the best 1-2 punch in sports media.
jalen/jacoby

and when bomani was on with lebatard on Wednesday's, especially when they had their beef with cowherd

What's up with Bill Simmons name dropping his kids on his podcasts now? He never did it on the BS Report.

Is cowherd really that popular? I watch his taped show sometimes on fs1, mainly to just see how good Kristine Leahy is looking.

What's up with Bill Simmons name dropping his kids on his podcasts now? He never did it on the BS Report.
I remember him dropping his son's name before.

and Colin probably is popular because he's the sports equivalent of Fox News and Fox news is very popular

I talked crap about it before but i'm starting to like garbage time with katie nolan. She actually gets some interviews with some big sports names and the segments are entertaining because they're a little weird.

I like Katie Nolan, but as I said earlier in the thread, I just hope she stays the hell away from ESPN. She wouldn't be nearly as good after going through some corporate brainwashing.

Back
Top Bottom