All Things Sports Media Thread!!

Bill Barnwell is a hack that thinks he knows what he's talking about i hate him in all forms.

I respect what he tries to do to an extent but he is the worst thing on Grantland.

I like Mays a lot though, when the podcast was him and Ephraim Salaam it was my favorite podcast out

They had great chemistry

Last edited:
He postures at sounding like he's insightful but he doesn't really know what he's talking about in the way that Zach Lowe does.  Makes sense he would come across that way to someone who isn't a big fan (not a shot at you at all).

im not big football fan in the sense that i font have a favorite team, i dont feel the desire to talk about it on NT, but i watch football like every other red blooded anerican male on sundays, i know enough about football to know who doesn't know what they are talking about.

i dont read other football writers anymore, because most of it to be poinless and filled with falacious thinking.

ill read bill batnwrll and chris brown because they try to coach there stuff within a logical frame work that is easy to scrutinize.

He's not trying to a. mystify you with arcane x's and o's that are impossible to verify or b. succumb to cliche ridden ******** that infects most football wiritng.

football writers more than any other sport is filled with the type of illogical, narrative based thinking that i can't stand in sports writing

Up to seven.
@richarddeitsch ESPN has declined to @SInow the names of the seven staffers from Grantland who re-signed with the site.
I wonder if Deitsch will find out the group before his Sunday night media report...

Edit:

I read the tweet wrong. I wonder who ESPN re-signed. :lol:

Last edited:
Meh.
On Friday writer James Andrew Miller tweeted that four members of Grantland’s staff have departed and will go to work for Bill Simmons. He did not name names. Based on my reporting, those staffers are Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin and Chris Ryan. I do not know the specific jobs they will have with Simmons. An ESPN spokesperson declined comment on any staff defections.

Miller also received a statement from an ESPN spokesperson that said the company had re-signed seven staffers in recent weeks. Asked who those staffers were by SI.com, an ESPN spokesperson declined comment. According to a Grantland source, the number ESPN PR put out regarding re-signings at this time was overstated.
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/...s-Ron-Darling-MLB-Playoffs-local-broadcasters

As part of my Sunday/Monday column I reported that Dan Fierman, the founding editorial director of Grantland and one of its key behind the scenes executives, has left ESPN for a job as the vice president and editorial director of MTV News. Fierman had worked for Grantland since the site was founded in 2011 and was a close confidant of Bill Simmons. This is the most significant Grantland departure from the site following Simmons. Grantland also suffered some key defections with a quartet of young staffers—Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin and Chris Ryan—leaving to work with Simmons on an unnamed project that will likely involve those staffers being part of podcasts among other media. I’ve been told that more Grantland staffers will be leaving the site in the next few weeks. As previously noted, ESPN PR has turned down multiple requests to interview Chris Connelly, the site’s current editor-in-chief. Given that decline, Grantland’s readers have not been afforded the same courtesy they have given that site with loyal readership.
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/10/12/scott-van-pelt-sportscenter-espn-grantland

No more a lot of things.. Juliet litman was on a good bit of the grantland podcasts I did listen to

NBA after dark (which had Chris Ryan too).. The right reasons and food news with jacoby.. She had another one, but I didn't listen to that

Last edited:
Bring down the ship Simmons!!!!

Glad his puppy is tanking since he's gone. Why let ESPN reap the benefits of his hard work and vision (word to 30 for 30).

No more a lot of things.. Juliet litman was on a good bit of the grantland podcasts I did listen to

NBA after dark (which had Chris Ryan too).. The right reasons and food news with jacoby.. She had another one, but I didn't listen to that

She is so ******* annoying.

Last edited:
HBO/Simmons took three of the four weakest links to be honest. Chris Ryan is the only one worth saving and even then, eh.

HBO/Simmons took three of the four weakest links to be honest. Chris Ryan is the only one worth saving and even then, eh.

They are editors, not staff writers, so you don't even see most of the stuff they do. They're as vital to a publication as anyone, and Grantland has to replace half of them. That's a lot of turnover to happen so suddenly at the top of the masthead.

They are editors, not staff writers, so you don't even see most of the stuff they do. They're as vital to a publication as anyone, and Grantland has to replace half of them. That's a lot of turnover to happen so suddenly at the top of the masthead.
exactly 
laugh.gif

ESPN just need to reboot the whole thing and call it something else. Grantland will never be Grantland. 

El Fin

Right but they're going to be doing more than editing stories and columns at HBO. So speaking from strictly an entertainment POV from listening to them in long-form interviews/podcasts - Fennessy is corny and tries too hard to be clever, was on a podcast with Ryan and Greenwald.

Juliet was on NBA After Dark and Food News, yelled all the time and gets weirdly stuck on Parsons and doesn't know when to move on.

Mallory Rubins - She was on every thrones podcast Grantland did, and she had zero chemistry with Chris Ryan. Never heard a person dig so deep in a hypothetical to get a laugh.

They will be focusing on different things at a different job, that's how this all works.

Seeing as how they've come via Simmons they should be a part of the HBO Now expansion that will funnel through BS that's been reported on.

Last edited:
Grantland has been pretty mediocre to start with lately. I give them less than a year.

ESPN knows they have gold with guys like Abrams/Lowe. Now, if they eventually jump ship....then we'll see what's up.

Grantland has been pretty mediocre to start with lately. I give them less than a year.

Only thing I go to the site for.. Or I should say the YouTube channel, to catch jalen and Jacoby's show

I imagine those guys generate way less traffic than we think.

I don't think espn cares all that much about grantland (if they want something they put up money, they let these people go) which is why I think it eventually folds.

I have no need to go to the site.. I'm subscribed to the podcast, so I either get it through that or go on YouTube to watch if I'm at work

Only thing grantland related I still currently listen to

Back
Top Bottom