Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

My 1999 everyday pair on feet.

20220216_154805.jpg

I see your '19s in the back. How does the fit/comfort compare to the '99s? I understand there's a huge diff in wear, but overall, what are your impressions? I think changing to closed cell PU really ruined the cushion on retros. Personally I'd prefer the long term crumbling and yellowing midsole to the paint chipping and hard PU, but it is what it is.

I see your '19s in the back. How does the fit/comfort compare to the '99s? I understand there's a huge diff in wear, but overall, what are your impressions? I think changing to closed cell PU really ruined the cushion on retros. Personally I'd prefer the long term crumbling and yellowing midsole to the paint chipping and hard PU, but it is what it is.
I feel like the new cushioning is worse too. It's just harder. I can't tell with these because they were sole-swapped with a newer midsole.

I think the newer retros are more narrow going towards the toe box. Also The 99s stab your achilles more with the back tab.

I'm the opposite when it comes to which midsole to use. I'd like them to use midsoles that last longer just so I can wear for an extra 5-10 years.

Nikes never were the best when it came to comfort for me, other brands were always more comfortable. Nike just kills them on the look/design, that's why I buy them.

I feel like the new cushioning is worse too. It's just harder. I can't tell with these because they were sole-swapped with a newer midsole.

I think the newer retros are more narrow going towards the toe box. Also The 99s stab your achilles more with the back tab.

I'm the opposite when it comes to which midsole to use. I'd like them to use midsoles that last longer just so I can wear for an extra 5-10 years.

Nikes never were the best when it came to comfort for me, other brands were always more comfortable. Nike just kills them on the look/design, that's why I buy them.
I’d rather they go back to comfortable midsoles and release the shoes every 5-8 years. Then we could just wear them and not have to worry about 15 years down the line.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Back in the OG days I recall Jordans being top notch in terms of comfort and tech. I remember being so fascinated by visible air and feeling the cushion on each step. That said, I never wore anything else so maybe I was deluding myself....heh.
I definitely agree about the OGs cushioning.

The first men's size I had was the OG 10's. All my Jordans before were GS sizes.

The OG 11, 13,14 performed crazy on the court. The Zoom air in the 13s and 14s was unbelievable. I wore-out multiple pairs of each of the OG Black-red 11s and Last shot 14s playing ball from 1996-2001.

Even some of the first Jumpmans and team Jordans from 1998-2000 were superior basketball shoes.

All the other stuff I said about comfort really applies to retros.

100% agreed that they've butchered the 4. And I was buying Jordans starting in '89, so I do know what the OGs were all about. That said, I have these and many other 4s as they're my GOAT silhouette, and I still greatly enjoy having and wearing them despite the issues with the shape. I'd rather have them than not. Some many say I'm contributing to the problem still buying them, but it's just not that serious for me; I have other things to think about, and really enjoy my Jordan 4 collection.

When on feet, a lot of these shape issues just don't matter, and they still look awesome. Definitely wouldn't be paying the resell prices these days, but that's just me, as I'm not into paying resell for any shoe personally, just out of principle. Though for must haves, like the FR3s and other classics, I'd go $40-$50 over retail if I strike out. Anything more than that, and I'm fine without; don't want to give those scumbags any real money ;-).

I'm sorry, but I just HAD to POST a picture of the OG's.

vlcsnap-2022-03-01-23h39m09s254.png

I had to remind everyone should MOST definitely NOT be paying resell, for ANY Jordan 4 retro. Hell, not even retail honestly.

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

:nthat::nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat:

:smokin

Nike/Jordan couldn’t replicate this even if they tried. Look how they butchered the Jordan 1 retro 85 mold :smh:

Other than the curved midsole, the proportions are off throughout the shoe. They are not worthy of being purchased yet.

I’ll stick with the remastered iterations from 2015-2018 for the time being.

What about 2015-2018 was better than what we're getting now? Maybe you can hit up the Jordan 1 thread and explain how the new 85 mold is off? I'm not a huge 1 person so it doesn't pop out to me, but interested in the details. All of the diff versions of the 1 still confuse me with the "OG" versions vs. the "OG 85"....Very strange to me.

What about 2015-2018 was better than what we're getting now? Maybe you can hit up the Jordan 1 thread and explain how the new 85 mold is off? I'm not a huge 1 person so it doesn't pop out to me, but interested in the details. All of the diff versions of the 1 still confuse me with the "OG" versions vs. the "OG 85"....Very strange to me.

I highlighted 2015-2018 because it covered majority of the OG colorways, with a serviceable mold

Back
Top Bottom