Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

Factory lacing doesn’t help. Letting the shoe breathe and fixing the toe might make a difference I’m hoping

Exactly. Also I wasn’t expecting a 1:1 exact remake of a previous version of this shoe because frankly that’s never been the case with any retros. If you think heads didn’t complain about the difference between the ‘99 4s and other retros of that time vs the OGs then your crazy. My older cousin was one of them. He was old enough to remember and owned the actual OGs of Jordans 1-8. He would always point out the differences and made what we would call serious “complaints” about the ‘99 to mid 2000 retros of era that all these guys on here worship sooo much. To some people back then, the ‘99s were “trash”, compared to the OG. ‘99s where not exact remakes of the OG so why are people expecting ‘19s to be exact remakes of the ‘99. This is all nothing new.

Last edited:
C4AC80B4-9C59-46EF-90E5-9874CBB471A7.gif

Exactly. Also I wasn’t expecting a 1:1 exact remake of a previous version of this shoe because frankly that’s never been the case with any retros. If you think heads didn’t complain about the difference between the ‘99 4s and other retros of that time vs the OGs then your crazy. My older cousin was one of them. He was old enough to remember and owned the actual OGs of Jordans 1-8. He would always point out the differences and made what we would call serious “complaints” about the ‘99 to mid 2000 retros of era that all these guys on here worship sooo much. To some people back then, the ‘99s were “trash”, compared to the OG. ‘99s where not exact remakes of the OG so why are people expecting ‘19s to be exact remakes ‘99. This is all nothing new.
Sorry that may be the case for every other retro made, but the 99 was pretty much an exact replica. Only minor difference was the netting. But other than that, it was on point!!!!

Sorry that may be the case for every other retro made, but the 99 was pretty much an exact replica. Only minor difference was the netting. But other than that, it was on point!!!!

False. While close it was not an exact replica. Sorry. That’s not to disparage the ‘99 either I’m just stating the obvious that it was not the exact same as the OG.

Exactly. Also I wasn’t expecting a 1:1 exact remake of a previous version of this shoe because frankly that’s never been the case with any retros. If you think heads didn’t complain about the difference between the ‘99 4s and other retros of that time vs the OGs then your crazy. My older cousin was one of them. He was old enough to remember and owned the actual OGs of Jordans 1-8. He would always point out the differences and made what we would call serious “complaints” about the ‘99 to mid 2000 retros of era that all these guys on here worship sooo much. To some people back then, the ‘99s were “trash”, compared to the OG. ‘99s where not exact remakes of the OG so why are people expecting ‘19s to be exact remakes ‘99. This is all nothing new.

I’ve owned every original myself growing up and nobody I’ve ever come across complained about the 99’s. They were done extremely well and at the time of their release, we knew they wouldn’t be clones of the OG. We got a glimpse in 94 for how the Retro line wouldn’t mirror the OG’s, however they were done very well. The only Retro back then that was way off was the II. The 1’s & 3’s were solid as was the IV’s - VI’s that would come out after Jordan retired for the second time. I’ve been on this board since 2000 and none of us were calling any of those Retro’s trash. Your cousin isn’t the consensus by any stretch.

False. While close it was not an exact replica. Sorry. That’s not to disparage the ‘99 either I’m just stating the obvious that it was not the exact same as the OG.
So if it is false, what were the differences that made them not a replica.

I’ve owned every original myself growing up and nobody I’ve ever come across complained about the 99’s. They were done extremely well and at the time of their release, we knew they wouldn’t be clones of the OG. We got a glimpse in 94 for how the Retro line wouldn’t mirror the OG’s, however they were done very well. The only Retro back then that was way off was the II. The 1’s & 3’s were solid as was the IV’s - VI’s that would come out after Jordan retired for the second time. I’ve been on this board since 2000 and none of us were calling any of those Retro’s trash. Your cousin isn’t the consensus by any stretch.

Oh I didn’t say he was. I was just giving an example. It’s worth noting that my cousin (who is essentially like an older brother to me) was never a follow the crowd type of guy either. So while others may have not spoken on any flaws or differences or even cared, he’d be that one guy who would. And would tell you why and how the shoe isn’t really all that compared to how the original was made and crafted. He’d say this about retro’s after he’d already purchased them and had a chance to dissect them in comparison to the originals. Put it like this, my cousin was like a tonytobacco tonytobacco of his time lol.

Yeah to say 0 people complained about those retros is a stretch but I digress. I thought the ‘99s were great from what I could tell. Never owned them though.

You guys remember when these came out? What do y’all think about it’s shape compared to the current 4s
upload_2019-4-10_16-0-6.jpeg

Sole swaps wack as hell. But I guess you gotta fake it til you make it.

Like I said when you look down and see the right colorway you gonna be happy as can be

Exactly. Also I wasn’t expecting a 1:1 exact remake of a previous version of this shoe because frankly that’s never been the case with any retros. If you think heads didn’t complain about the difference between the ‘99 4s and other retros of that time vs the OGs then your crazy. My older cousin was one of them. He was old enough to remember and owned the actual OGs of Jordans 1-8. He would always point out the differences and made what we would call serious “complaints” about the ‘99 to mid 2000 retros of era that all these guys on here worship sooo much. To some people back then, the ‘99s were “trash”, compared to the OG. ‘99s where not exact remakes of the OG so why are people expecting ‘19s to be exact remakes of the ‘99. This is all nothing new.
You already know he probably don't even wanna review the 2019 Jordan IV black cement

Oh I didn’t say he was. I was just giving an example. It’s worth noting that my cousin (who is essentially like an older brother to me) was never a follow the crowd type of guy either. So while others may have not spoken on any flaws or differences or even cared, he’d be that one guy who would. And would tell you why and how the shoe isn’t really all that compared to how the original was made and crafted. He’d say this about retro’s after he’d already purchased them and had a chance to dissect them in comparison to the originals. Put it like this, my cousin was like a tonytobacco tonytobacco of his time lol.
haha

Thing is, Im not even one of the shape complainers this time around. Ive been all in on the QC on these. The bastardized shape is honestly an afterthought, I saw that champs pic with the heel and locked in on that horrible stitchline and sloppy craftsmanship. Then the pic with the wing. The shape of the shoe means nothing if these things arent put together well in the first place. I actually dont think Ive mentioned the 99 or OG once since those champs pics surfaced.

Dude pulled out like 2 or 3 pairs and it just so happens that one of the shoes is complete z grade trash. That tells me the odds for a decent pair is minuscule.

Back
Top Bottom