AIR JORDAN 3 BLACK CEMENT - NOVEMBER 23, 2024

This is why lots of folks in the IG comments are saying they like the 2018's better.

They just don't know any better.

They're young and grew up during the Gentry and post-Gentry era of garbage retros.

It's what they grew up on, but can't blame them.

Shout out forest hills forest hills as being one of the few youngins that get it.

It’s because your average person isn’t especially bright and clearly can’t be bothered to learn anything, especially in this era of shortened attention spans. Age is a poor excuse on its own. I own, as just one example, a reissue of a watch that came out in the ‘50s. Many other versions and updates of this model were created throughout the following decades. I wasn’t alive in the ‘50s but I damn well know what that watch is supposed to look like and own the particular reissue I do because it’s correct. I don’t prefer the ones that came later just because they are the ones that were current during my lifetime.

The recency bias exhibited by so many of these new so-called sneakerheads is lame.

:nthat:
1000005029.gif

🗡️

It’s because your average person isn’t especially bright and clearly can’t be bothered to learn anything, especially in this era of shortened attention spans. Age is a poor excuse on its own. I own, as just one example, a reissue of a watch that came out in the ‘50s. Many other versions and updates of this model were created throughout the following decades. I wasn’t alive in the ‘50s but I damn well know what that watch is supposed to look like and own the particular reissue I do because it’s correct. I don’t prefer the ones that came later just because they are the ones that were current during my lifetime.

The recency bias exhibited by so many of these new so-called sneakerheads is lame.
I would have to disagree my kids grew up with a father with 100’s of sneakers in the house. OG’s, first retro whatever. I even bought them OG’s when they were really little that they wore. The toddler sneakers didn’t crumble because the midsole were different.
… but anyways they are 16 and 17 now and they are into sneakers but they don’t give a **** about the history like that. They don’t understand the shape may be off or whatever. They just enjoy the kicks. They didn’t grow up with MJ. They grew up with Bron and Kobe. It’s just not that important to them and it doesn’t have to be. It’s a sentimental thing for my generation. I love hip hop. Always have. I didn’t give a **** about listening to the sugar hill gang or whatever pioneers my uncles had. I had Pac and BIG. Wasn’t nobody trying to hear some old head rambling about the good ol days. Cool your into watches, I am too but we gotta stop thinking these kids somehow are obligated to give a damn the same way we do. That’s not reality.

I would have to disagree my kids grew up with a father with 100’s of sneakers in the house. OG’s, first retro whatever. I even bought them OG’s when they were really little that they wore. The toddler sneakers didn’t crumble because the midsole were different.
… but anyways they are 16 and 17 now and they are into sneakers but they don’t give a **** about the history like that. They don’t understand the shape may be off or whatever. They just enjoy the kicks. They didn’t grow up with MJ. They grew up with Bron and Kobe. It’s just not that important to them and it doesn’t have to be. It’s a sentimental thing for my generation. I love hip hop. Always have. I didn’t give a **** about listening to the sugar hill gang or whatever pioneers my uncles had. I had Pac and BIG. Wasn’t nobody trying to hear some old head rambling about the good ol days. Cool your into watches, I am too but we gotta stop thinking these kids somehow are obligated to give a damn the same way we do. That’s not reality.

I never said anyone is obligated. Just like anything, some people care and some people are just consumers who are into something because it's a popular or trendy thing to do, or they just like the way something looks and don't take it too seriously. And I only brought up the watch thing as one example to my point about age itself not being a good excuse for not caring about history and how things are supposed to look and why that is the case.
When we're talking about legacy products that are still a thing because of their history--even if the latest kids don't all realize that fact--and whose design is a big part of that history and legacy, it's important these companies don't start listening to the Johnny Come Lately types who may or may not even care about shoes at all in a couple years when they move on to the next thing. Some dopes on IG, TikTok, Reddit, etc. think butchered versions of Jordans look better than the OGs? Generally I'd say who cares, it's not like they're making the shoes. But sometimes I worry the Nikes and JBs of the world might go back to completely saying, hey the kids don't care so neither do we, and everything gets made like trash again as we've seen in the past.

Last edited:
I was starting to feel bad for not wearing my 2018s but after looking at them again, nah they gotta go

IMG_20240828_182709015_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240828_182716030_HDR.jpg

That panel on the front is on some steel toe boot steez... From StockX they came and to StockX they shall return

Bring on the 2024s, albino print and all
I feel bad whenever I have to even look at pics of those pieces of garbage.

Last edited:
I never said anyone is obligated. Just like anything, some people care and some people are just consumers who are into something because it's a popular or trendy thing to do, or they just like the way something looks and don't take it too seriously.
That's all fine.
However, when we're talking about legacy products that are still a thing because of their history--even if the latest kids don't all realize that fact--and whose design is a big part of that history and legacy, it's important these companies don't start listening to the Johnny Come Lately types who may or may not even care about shoes at all in a couple years when they move on to the next thing. Some dopes on IG, TikTok, Reddit, etc. think butchered versions of Jordans look better than the OGs? Generally I'd say who cares, it's not like they're making the shoes. But sometimes I worry the Nikes and JBs of the world might go back to completely saying, hey the kids don't care so neither do we, and everything gets made like trash again as we've seen in the past.
In can see that. I actually think that’s going to eventually happen with the XI. They keep asking for the lower PL. I just hope when/if it happens they do it like the 1’s where we have the regular highs and mids and now we have the ‘85 cut.

I was just speaking on how a lot of the old heads, myself included sometimes thinks that the youngins have to care to understand the history of sneakers that were being sold 20+ years before they were conceived. The bitter old heads can be just as bad the clueless kids at times.

In can see that. I actually think that’s going to eventually happen with the XI. They keep asking for the lower PL. I just hope when/if it happens they do it like the 1’s where we have the regular highs and mids and now we have the ‘85 cut.

I was just speaking on how a lot of the old heads, myself included sometimes thinks that the youngins have to care to understand the history of sneakers that were being sold 20+ years before they were conceived. The bitter old heads can be just as bad the clueless kids at times.

I'm an old head, too. It has nothing to do with being bitter. It has to do with compromising iconic designs and history because a new group of people don't appreciate or understand that history and design. It's completely unnecessary--and I'm curious to know ... if most of these new kids supposedly don't care, then they shouldn't care enough about the little details either way to be whining that the lower patent looks better or whatever the shoe in question is. I suspect most of them really don't care and that basing an analysis off comments here and there on social media probably isn't representative of a huge population.
Funny thing about the XI patent height, the whole reason it appears it went back to being correct or a lot more near correct since 2016 is WE all complained about it being too low and butchered for so long. Now morons are trying to ruin it again? The bottom line is, the shoe is supposed to look a certain way. If some people don't like it, then find another shoe you do like.

I'm an old head, too. It has nothing to do with being bitter. It has to do with compromising iconic designs and history because a new group of people don't appreciate or understand that history and design. It's completely unnecessary--and I'm curious to know ... if most of these new kids supposedly don't care, then they shouldn't care enough about the little details either way to be whining that the lower patent looks better or whatever the shoe in question is. I suspect most of them really don't care and that basing an analysis off comments here and there on social media probably isn't representative of a huge population.
Funny thing about the XI patent height, the whole reason it appears it went back to being correct or a lot more near correct since 2016 is WE all complained about it being too low and butchered for so long. Now morons are trying to ruin it again? The bottom line is, the shoe is supposed to look a certain way. If some people don't like it, then find another shoe you do like.
I get it trust me I do. I just had this discussion in another thread a few days ago. But what we and when I say we,I mean my generation which is the end of generations X and the start of the millennials are gonna have to realize is we are not Nikes target demographic anymore. We are getting older and more responsible with our spending. Collectors like us are a minority. The company is marketing to 18-30 year olds now. Our opinion is gonna matter less and less. Perfect example is the ‘85 high. They make a minuscule amount of them because the truth is nobody cares about them but us. I’m glad they are dropping a lot of OG favorites the next 12 months because it’s time for me to give it up. After this last run I should be set well into my 50’s. I’m gonna let the kids have it. I can already see the company is going in a direction that’s not going to be OG friendly.

I was starting to feel bad for not wearing my 2018s but after looking at them again, nah they gotta go

That panel on the front is on some steel toe boot steez... From StockX they came and to StockX they shall return

You did the right thing.

This is why lots of folks in the IG comments are saying they like the 2018's better.

They just don't know any better.

They're young and grew up during the Gentry and post-Gentry era of garbage retros.

It's what they grew up on, but can't blame them.

Shout out forest hills forest hills as being one of the few youngins that get it.
Appreciate the love. I'm telling ya man. The day JB starts trying to please that side of the sneaker community, we are going to end up back in the dark ages of Jordan Brand. For example I've seen so many people around my age or older even, complaining online about the higher PL cut on 11s and hating the glitter accents on the OG 8s (Aquas in particular). And I know preferences are thing but I just shake my head seeing that nonsense.

The goal of these retro releases should be to faithfully recreate the original look that Moore and Kilgore intended for the Jordan 1 and 2, and what Tinker intended for the 3 thru 15. These shoes that we all love are not only just that, but they are art. When you sit a pristine pair of OGs next to a modern retro, the difference is night and day. For example: 1991 Black Infrared 6s. The higher tongue, the white/grey cut lines that pop out at you and break up the monotony of the black Durabuck, the leather-like contrast heel, I could go on.
Screenshot_20190130-121342_Chrome.jpg

Seeing a pristine pair makes my eyes widen. That is how they were meant to look. That is how modern iterations should look. The fact that a lot of the younger crowd would look at those above and not care nor see anything special about them is wild to me. Same goes for these 3s. The fact that dudes can look at the OGs in all their sleek,well proportioned, aerodynamic glory and then still say that the the clunky *** 2018 release or even that this current one looks better, is crazy.
air-jordan-3-catalog.jpg

I think some of the other brands have been putting out quality product to the point where it’s enough to keep Nike somewhat honest. These kids are opting for other brands a lot. Nike can’t really afford to release straight garbage the way they did in 2006-2015 era. But in the distant future who knows where this goes.

Calling kids dumb because they don't have similar preferences of a shoe's shape as you is kinda wild... I keep telling y'all that Niketalk is a site for enthusiasts and the way we view things are very niche compared to the general public. 99% of consumers don't care about shape, EP, height, leather etc .. all they care about is if the shoe/cw looks good to them and that's ok. Alot of consumers like the bold & high EP on the 3s, a lot of consumers like lower patent leather on the back, alot of consumers liked the 23 on the back of the 9s... Let's not turn into elitists fellas.

Appreciate the love. I'm telling ya man. The day JB starts trying to please that side of the sneaker community, we are going to end up back in the dark ages of Jordan Brand. For example I've seen so many people around my age or older even, complaining online about the higher PL cut on 11s and hating the glitter accents on the OG 8s (Aquas in particular). And I know preferences are thing but I just shake my head seeing that nonsense.

The goal of these retro releases should be to faithfully recreate the original look that Moore and Kilgore intended for the Jordan 1 and 2, and what Tinker intended for the 3 thru 15. These shoes that we all love are not only just that, but they are art. When you sit a pristine pair of OGs next to a modern retro, the difference is night and day. For example: 1991 Black Infrared 6s. The higher tongue, the white/grey cut lines that pop out at you and break up the monotony of the black Durabuck, the leather-like contrast heel, I could go on.
Screenshot_20190130-121342_Chrome.jpg

Seeing a pristine pair makes my eyes widen. That is how they were meant to look. That is how modern iterations should look. The fact that a lot of the younger crowd would look at those above and not care nor see anything special about them is wild to me. Same goes for these 3s. The fact that dudes can look at the OGs in all their sleek,well proportioned, aerodynamic glory and then still say that the the clunky *** 2018 release or even that this current one looks better, is crazy.
air-jordan-3-catalog.jpg
That pic of those Infareds put a huge smile on my face. Was my first pair of J’s ever, exactly how I remember them. Flawless.

No one mentions how the tongue is wrong on the 2018s

Back
Top Bottom