Air Jordan 11 Retro "Concord" - December 8, 2018 release - $220 #45

Lack of necessary information is absolutely off the table...

Skip to about 1:40 and you’ll get a peek at what Tinker ~ Nike calls the “DNA Warehouse”...

Nike WON’T recreate the material because it would cost them more to produce each shoe...Simple as that, if they can cut a quarters worth of production costs off a shoe and still sell it a premium price then that’s what they’ll do...Sometimes they even come up with gimmicks, like the whole “remaster” program for example, where they actually try to make an excuse to raise prices on all models while slightly upping the quality on a handful of pairs...It’s a publicly traded company that has share holders to answer to, and share holders value profit over everything else...

Anyway back to the Concords...Y’all looking at multiples of these or naw...I mean they’ll probably drop again in a few years with a stitched on 23 or something like that...

Wow! Thanks for that! I haven't seen that video before. I think it's cool they still have DS pairs of original releases in their warehouse. But that definitely does show they have OG durabuck in pristine condition that they could recreate yet don't. Pretty lame honestly but yeah these might be double up status but with og black Infrared's possibly being released next all-star weekend I dunno if I want two pairs of these. Would rather own two pairs of the 6's.

I know the company that made the OG Durabuck from 1989-1993 I believe is long gone, but I wonder why Nike can't recreate the material? Is it due to a lack of necessary information regarding what materials are needed to create it or what?

Anyways I can't wait for this release. I graduate high school in a few days and decided I'll get the Space Jams/'95 Playoff PE's as my gift to myself and my first 11. Concords will be next and I may even double up. :evil:
air-jordan-11-concord-1995-1.jpg

The OG Durabuck was a Name brand patented product they would have to obtain licencing to do so. The formulas or original processes.might even be gone and no longer available so they may not even be able to recreate that material even if they wanted to. Everything was replaced with Nubuck which companies stole the idea from the Durabuck manufactures and as a result the Durabuck manufacture went out of business.

The OG Durabuck was a Name brand patented product they would have to obtain licencing to do so. The formulas or original processes.might even be gone and no longer available so they may not even be able to recreate that material even if they wanted to. Everything was replaced with Nubuck which companies stole the idea from the Durabuck manufactures and as a result the Durabuck manufacture went out of business.

Thank you for the info! This stuff is really interesting to me honestly. But yeah I feared that was the case. That information of the process used to create the original durabuck is no longer available. It's a shame really if they'll never be able to create that stuff again. What was used on the 2015 Aqua 8's and 2016 Black Metallic's will have to do. Both very fine re releases anyway.

Thank you for the info! This stuff is really interesting to me honestly. But yeah I feared that was the case. That information of the process used to create the original durabuck is no longer available. It's a shame really if they'll never be able to create that stuff again. What was used on the 2015 Aqua 8's and 2016 Black Metallic's will have to do. Both very fine re releases anyway.

I think the metallic 5 material will be the best were going to get here on out. Which to me was a pretty good replacement way better than the last bred 4 material.

You know all this for a fact?

Yeah it's sort of true but stuff gets lost over time. I think there was a company making durabuck that Nike outsourced and then that company went out of business or something like that and Nike started making their own version of it sometime after late 90s/early 2000s.. or so the story goes.

More of the same as was posted above lol.

Yeah it's sort of true but stuff gets lost over time. I think there was a company making durabuck that Nike outsourced and then that company went out of business or something like that and Nike started making their own version of it sometime after late 90s/early 2000s.. or so the story goes.

More of the same as was posted above lol.

Not hating but as I said in reply to O ogSlater , you know this how? It's "sort of true"? That by definition means it's sort of untrue. That's "how the story goes?" I've been following this stuff since '89. Never read that one before but I'm old so maybe I'm forgetting I did. However I don't think it's remotely a common refrain accepted as fact so I don't see that it's "how the story goes."

If you guys have any sources, much appreciated. If not, I tend to think this is how internet myths can be born. It might be true but those were some very specific "facts" cited that certainly are not widely stated during all of the complaints on here and elsewhere across many years regarding the different materials used today.

Not hating but as I said in reply to O ogSlater , you know this how? It's "sort of true"? That by definition means it's sort of untrue. That's "how the story goes?" I've been following this stuff since '89. Never read that one before but I'm old so maybe I'm forgetting I did. However I don't think it's remotely a common refrain accepted as fact so I don't see that it's "how the story goes."

If you guys have any sources, much appreciated. If not, I tend to think this is how internet myths can be born. It might be true but those were some very specific "facts" cited that certainly are not widely stated during all of the complaints on here and elsewhere across many years regarding the different materials used today.

If I had a NT hat for every time this happened on here lol.. Its wild you've been around or on here that long and haven't seen this before. It is a fact. My 'sort of' was in reference to obtaining a license which wouldn't make sense for a company that doest exist anymore..

Here is a link I found long ago answering this question; glad its still around.. yes its a fact..

http://sneakerhistory.com/2015/08/durabuck/

I remember reading that at least twice in my time on NT lol. Always good to have it as a refresher/reminder

If I had a NT hat for every time this happened on here lol.. Its wild you've been around or on here that long and haven't seen this before. It is a fact. My 'sort of' was in reference to obtaining a license which wouldn't make sense for a company that doest exist anymore..

Here is a link I found long ago answering this question; glad its still around.. yes its a fact..

http://sneakerhistory.com/2015/08/durabuck/

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. That said, my original inquiry was to ogSlater's post which speculates about it being impossible to recreate durabuck even if Nike wants to, and about the reasons why that original supplier company went out of business. Neither of those "facts" are addressed in that article. So while we're all talking about Durabuck, we're talking about different aspects. Those were key "facts" I questioned, not the apparent fact a supplier made the stuff and then eventually stopped. There's nothing unique about that in the manufacturing business. Not arguing with you guys, just pointing out that taking some facts and making the jump to others doesn't always make sense. OG elephant print came from a supplier as well but I don't for one minute believe Nike couldn't find a modern supplier to match it almost exactly. If it cared to do so. Which it clearly does not. I believe that is the real issue in these instances, but I will make the point that that is my OPINION definitely not a documented fact >D

Is it better?

For my part, ok for the material, we can say bye bye to a perfect OG cushionning but the OG shape could be more respected, for example the high cut on the 11, everybody know that it is too high on the 2016 SPJ.
here the problem is not the material.
On the retro 8, the plastic plate on the side, in the middle of the shoe isn't respected.
On the OG 8 bugs bunny, the plate touch the red part of the shoe so the middle. On the retro, it touch the grey part on the forefoot, so it is more difficult to bent the shoes.
And the material used for the outsole on the 8 or the Air force max Barkley, was the same.
Why is the material so stiff? Or why not a zoom air if a air unit is too expensive?

You know all this for a fact?

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. That said, my original inquiry was to ogSlater's post which speculates about it being impossible to recreate durabuck even if Nike wants to, and about the reasons why that original supplier company went out of business. Neither of those "facts" are addressed in that article. So while we're all talking about Durabuck, we're talking about different aspects. Those were key "facts" I questioned, not the apparent fact a supplier made the stuff and then eventually stopped. There's nothing unique about that in the manufacturing business. Not arguing with you guys, just pointing out that taking some facts and making the jump to others doesn't always make sense. OG elephant print came from a supplier as well but I don't for one minute believe Nike couldn't find a modern supplier to match it almost exactly. If it cared to do so. Which it clearly does not. I believe that is the real issue in these instances, but I will make the point that that is my OPINION definitely not a documented fact >D

I never said the the impossibility of recreating og durabuck was a fact. the only facts I was stating that the company that produced durabuck is long gone. and yes that was a patented material. its not just a printed material, its a manufactured material that was made by a specific company.

Last edited:
All I know is, the material they used from the mid 90s, like on the OG Air More Uptempo and a bunch of Nike Basketball shoes at the time, all the way to the 2003 retro VIIIs, blk/chrome and blk/red lows, was 99% on point. Thick cut, white rands and everything. The only issue with the '16 blk/silver V is that the material is thin and stiff.

Back
Top Bottom