A History of God.

wut

^^^Your characterization of the Abrahamic Gods is interesting, I have some theories as to what Gods may be. Some of what is said in Ancient aliens is laughable but I agree with their overall message that some of the Gods that we worship are simply extraterrestrial beings. It is not inconceivable that human beings are a lesser being to a far more intelligent creature we do not comprehend. After all a lot of human beings are Gods on this planet to lesser beings.
The catch to all this is that heavenly creatures (as described in the bible) are extraterrestrial!  Do I believe in extraterrestrial life, yes...because angels, God, demons are life forms beyond the earth. They may not flow well with science fiction narrative but what the bible proposes by definition is of extraterrestrial origin. 

I like this post a lot.

The catch to all this is that heavenly creatures (as described in the bible) are extraterrestrial!  Do I believe in extraterrestrial life, yes...because angels, God, demons are life forms beyond the earth. They may not flow well with science fiction narrative but what the bible proposes by definition is of extraterrestrial origin. 

Not too dissimilar to science fiction and fantasy. :D

The philosophy of cosmicism states that there is no recognizable divine presence, such as a god, in the universe, and that humans are particularly insignificant in the larger scheme of intergalactic existence, and perhaps are just a small species projecting their own mental idolatries onto the vast cosmos, ever susceptible to being wiped from existence at any moment. This also suggested that the majority of undiscerning humanity are creatures with the same significance as insects and plants in a much greater struggle between greater forces which, due to humanity's small, visionless and unimportant nature, it does not recognize.

Perhaps the most prominent theme in cosmicism is the utter insignificance of humanity. Lovecraft believed that "the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'. Only egotism exists."[2] Cosmicism shares many characteristics with nihilism, though one important difference is that cosmicism tends to emphasize the inconsequentiality of humanity and its doings, rather than summarily rejecting the possible existence of some higher purpose (or purposes). For example, in Lovecraft's Cthulhu stories, it is not so much the absence of meaning that causes terror for the protagonists as it is their discovery that they have absolutely no power to effect any change in the vast, indifferent, and ultimately incomprehensible universe that surrounds them. Whatever meaning or purpose may or may not be invested in the actions of the cosmic beings in Lovecraft's stories is completely inaccessible to the human characters, in the way an amoeba (for example) is completely unequipped to grasp the concepts that drive human behavior.

Lovecraft's cosmicism was a result of his complete disdain for all things religious, his feeling of humanity's existential helplessness in the face of what he called the "infinite spaces" opened up by scientific thought, and his belief that humanity was fundamentally at the mercy of the vastness and emptiness of the cosmos.[3] In his fictional works, these ideas are often explored humorously ("Herbert West–Reanimator," 1922), through fantastic dreamlike narratives ("The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath," 1927), or through his well-known Cthulhu Mythos ("The Call of Cthulhu," 1928, and others). Common themes related to cosmicism in Lovecraft's fiction are the insignificance of humanity in the universe[4] and the search for knowledge ending in disaster.[5]

Rep 666 :smokin

Last edited:
I could totally dig a story about GOD being a young Darkseid going around creating life on planets and ruling cruel and jealously for a period of time.

I could totally dig a story about GOD being a young Darkseid going around creating life on planets and ruling cruel and jealously for a period of time batman.
Whoa chill. I'm talking on a cinematic level. Spin off tv shows, comics, etc.

Always like a nice spin on religion. Especially when it's direct. Always hits home that this is fiction.

:lol: @ Batman. That'd mean GOD is insane.

Last edited:
I could totally dig a story about GOD being a young Darkseid going around creating life on planets and ruling cruel and jealously for a period of time.

it's called the bible :lol:

I don't view the Judeochristian God as benevolent, based on what I've read in the bible. He is whimsical in his "benevolence". He's akin to a bipolar girlfriend who loves you one second then burns your entire village the next.

Not too dissimilar to science fiction and fantasy.
happy.gif

The philosophy of cosmicism states that there is no recognizable divine presence, such as a god, in the universe, and that humans are particularly insignificant in the larger scheme of intergalactic existence, and perhaps are just a small species projecting their own mental idolatries onto the vast cosmos, ever susceptible to being wiped from existence at any moment. This also suggested that the majority of undiscerning humanity are creatures with the same significance as insects and plants in a much greater struggle between greater forces which, due to humanity's small, visionless and unimportant nature, it does not recognize.

Perhaps the most prominent theme in cosmicism is the utter insignificance of humanity. Lovecraft believed that "the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'. Only egotism exists."[2] Cosmicism shares many characteristics with nihilism, though one important difference is that cosmicism tends to emphasize the inconsequentiality of humanity and its doings, rather than summarily rejecting the possible existence of some higher purpose (or purposes). For example, in Lovecraft's Cthulhu stories, it is not so much the absence of meaning that causes terror for the protagonists as it is their discovery that they have absolutely no power to effect any change in the vast, indifferent, and ultimately incomprehensible universe that surrounds them. Whatever meaning or purpose may or may not be invested in the actions of the cosmic beings in Lovecraft's stories is completely inaccessible to the human characters, in the way an amoeba (for example) is completely unequipped to grasp the concepts that drive human behavior.

Lovecraft's cosmicism was a result of his complete disdain for all things religious, his feeling of humanity's existential helplessness in the face of what he called the "infinite spaces" opened up by scientific thought, and his belief that humanity was fundamentally at the mercy of the vastness and emptiness of the cosmos.[3] In his fictional works, these ideas are often explored humorously ("Herbert West–Reanimator," 1922), through fantastic dreamlike narratives ("The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath," 1927), or through his well-known Cthulhu Mythos ("The Call of Cthulhu," 1928, and others). Common themes related to cosmicism in Lovecraft's fiction are the insignificance of humanity in the universe[4] and the search for knowledge ending in disaster.[5]

Rep 666
smokin.gif
With all that being said, human imagination left unchecked, or even fostered by knowledge always directs the human to feel that there is something greater than they are. A hardcoded unquenchable transfixion on something greater than the human himself. Civilizations past and present have proven this out.

The smartest of men will even go so far as suggest that there is intelligent life that is out there that is able to: live longer life because they are advanced medically, do not engage in war because they are to smart for it, are capable of intergalactic travel etc. But yet they say there is no God when God, as described in the bible, is capable of doing the very things they say advanced life forms are able to do?

I say that we are hardcoded with the transfixion because we were created in his image?

the snowman comic was a riff on the theory of intelligent design
i can't tell if you knew that or if you were just mocking the poster

would have to dig up some of my old college papers from my philosophy of religion course
to go into the intelligent design debate (i probably should some other time soon)

some of my professors favorites were Paley, Dawkins, Behe, Kitcher, van Inwagen, Mackie, Rowe, Craig, Clifford,
Feldman, Leiter, Quentin Smith, Spinoza & Kant - if any of those names ring a bell?

the snowman comic was a riff on the theory of intelligent design
i can't tell if you knew that or if you were just mocking the poster

would have to dig up some of my old college papers from my philosophy of religion course
to go into the intelligent design debate (i probably should some other time soon)

some of my professors favorites were Paley, Dawkins, Behe, Kitcher, van Inwagen, Mackie, Rowe, Craig, Clifford,
Feldman, Leiter, Quentin Smith, Spinoza & Kant - if any of those names ring a bell?
It also sounds like an attack against the theory of evolution using a straw man. 

With all that being said, human imagination left unchecked, or even fostered by knowledge always directs the human to feel that there is something greater than they are. A hardcoded unquenchable transfixion on something greater than the human himself. Civilizations past and present have proven this out.

The smartest of men will even go so far as suggest that there is intelligent life that is out there that is able to: live longer life because they are advanced medically, do not engage in war because they are to smart for it, are capable of intergalactic travel etc. But yet they say there is no God when God, as described in the bible, is capable of doing the very things they say advanced life forms are able to do?

I say that we are hardcoded with the transfixion because we were created in his image?
santa claus>all others

Last edited:

santa claus>all others
thanks for keeping it short!

lolz

Last edited:
Question, for the believers. What are YOUR thoughts on the following

1. Why do you think God is a man?

2. Where did God come from?

What are YOUR theories on this.
Appreciate your thoughts!

That's an intriguing idea, that the universe is God. There is a religion for that ...I think Wiccans believe that the universe/nature is God.

I say the following with regard to the narrative of the bible:

The bible refers to God in the masculine, keep in mind that both man and female where created in his image (so in that regard, both male and female are equal in his book). Feel free to twist the scriptures how you see fit (I say this to bible critics, not to you EM).

That is not to say that humans 'look like' God, no man has seen God, so how are we to know what he looks like. The bible further states that God is not like a man(human) that he should be restricted by 'diet', dwelling', etc...he is not human. The description that we get of him are merely figurative to help us grasp something that is profound. With that being said he does have a personality, he is a personality...we can grasp that personality in reading the bible. In that respect we are made in his image, we are able to reflect the qualities of reason, conscience, intelligence, love etc. 

Further, God is not restricted by gender roles he is not like a man he is not like a woman...he is God.

Granted man has twisted and convoluted gender roles for millenia, but that shouldn't not be an indictment on who or what God is.

it's called the bible :lol:

I don't view the Judeochristian God as benevolent, based on what I've read in the bible. He is whimsical in his "benevolence". He's akin to a bipolar girlfriend who loves you one second then burns your entire village the next.
Yeah I know that but I'm talking something updated and more interesting :lol:
:rofl: I don't believe this. These are two atheist friends with a script
Yea, cus I like God and sports. So I was tryna reflect a "fueled by God" type deal.

Seriously, I almost went with something similar.

Cus I like science and do coke. So I was tryna reflect a "coked up by science" type deal.

View media item 269037
:rofl:
Lobotomy beats is the funniest nter. I'm dying right now.
Son is wild with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom