-_-JAY-Z MAKING MOVES AGAIN, VOL. WHAT YOU CALL MONEY, I PAY MORE IN TAXES-_-

Jayhp.jpg

[h1]Jay-Z and Live Nation Alliance as New Model for Music Sales[/h1]
Rahav Segev for The New York Timeshttp://

Jay-Z plans to depart his longtime record label, Def Jam, for a roughly $150 million package with the concert giant Live Nation that includes financing forhis own entertainment venture, in addition to recordings and tours for the next decade. The pact, expected to be finalized this week, is the most expansivedeal yet from Live Nation, which has angled to compete directly with the industry's established music labels in a scrum over the rights to distributerecordings, sell concert tickets, market merchandise and control other aspects of artists' careers.

As CD sales plunge, an array of players - including record labels, promoters and advertisers - are racing to secure deals that cut them in on a larger shareof an artist's overall revenue. Live Nation has already struck less comprehensive pacts with Madonna and U2.

In Jay-Z, Live Nation has lined up with a longtime star who, after toiling as a self-described hustler on the streets of Brooklyn, earned acclaim as arapper and cachet as a mogul.

Live Nation's core business has revolved around major rock and country tours, and with Jay-Z it is making an unexpected foray into hip-hop. The companyis also placing an enormous wager on a performer who, like many others, has experienced declining record sales. (Last year's "American Gangster"sold one million copies in the United States; "The Black Album," from 2003, sold well over three million.)

But the arrangement would also position Live Nation to participate in a range of new deals with Jay-Z, one of music's most entrepreneurial stars, whosepast ventures have included the Rocawear clothing line, which he sold last year for $204 million, and the chain of 40/40 nightclubs.

Jay-Z, 38, whose real name is Shawn Carter, owes one more studio album to Def Jam, where he was president for three years before stepping down in Decemberafter he and the label's corporate parent, Universal Music Group, could not agree on a more lucrative contract.

His first undertaking with Live Nation is his current 28-date tour with Mary J.Blige, his biggest live outing in more than three years. After that, Live Nation envisions integrating the marketing of all Jay-Z's entertainmentendeavors, including recordings, tours and endorsements.

"I've turned into the Rolling Stones of hip-hop," Jay-Z said in a recent telephone interview.

The deal answers a question that had been circling through the rap world for months: Where would Jay-Z take his next corporate role? As part of thearrangement, Live Nation would finance the start-up of a venture that would be an umbrella for his outside projects, which are expected to include his ownlabel, music publishing, and talent consulting and managing. Live Nation is expected to contribute $5 million a year in overhead for five years, with another$25 million available to finance Jay-Z's acquisitions or investments, according to people in the music industry briefed on the agreement. The venture, tobe called Roc Nation, will split profits with Live Nation.

The overall package for Jay-Z also includes an upfront payment of $25 million, a general advance of $25 million that includes fees for his current tour, andadvance payment of $10 million an album for a minimum of three albums during the deal's 10-year term, these people said. A series of other payments addingup to about $20 million is included in exchange for certain publishing, licensing and other rights. Jay-Z said Live Nation's consolidated approach was insync with the emerging potential "to reach the consumer in so many different ways right now." He added: "Everyone's trying to figure it out.I want to be on the front lines in that fight."

The popularity of music downloads has revolutionized how music is consumed, and widespread piracy has contributed to an industry meltdown in whichtraditional album sales - composed mostly of the two-decades-old CD format - have slumped by more than a third since 2000. (The best seller in 2007, JoshGroban's "Noël," sold 3.7 million copies, compared with 9.9 million for the top album in 2000, according to Nielsen SoundScan.)
That has further pressured record-label executives to rewrite the economics of their business and step beyond the sale of albums in an attempt to wringrevenue out of everything from ring tones to artist fan clubs. http://
Jay-Z said that his future as an artist could involve elevating the role of live performances, long a mixed bag even for popular rap acts.

"In a way I want to operate like an indie band," he said. "Play the music on tour instead of relying on radio. Hopefully we'll get somehits out of there and radio will pick it up, but we won't make it with that in mind."

Though sales for Jay-Z's tour with Ms. Blige have been strong since it began on March 22, with almost all the early dates resulting in sold-out arenas,it is unclear when Live Nation could carry out other aspects of the deal. (Jay-Z said that he hoped to deliver his final album for Def Jam later thisyear.)

Critics of Live Nation, which lost nearly $12 million last year, predict that it would be difficult to turn a profit on the arrangement, given thecontinuing decline in record sales and the mixed track record of artist-run ventures. Shares in the company have suffered since October when Live Nationnegotiated a deal with Madonna.

Michael Cohl, Live Nation's chairman, said he was not worried. Though he declined to discuss terms of the Jay-Z arrangement, he said it did not requirean increase in record sales to be profitable. "He could be doing more tours and doing great," Mr. Cohl said. "There could be endorsements andsponsorships." He added, "The whole is what's important."

He cited Jay-Z's forays into a host of other businesses as a model for Live Nation. "What he's done has kind of mirrored what we want to do andwhere we think we're going."

Some executives at major record labels have privately portrayed Live Nation's artist deals as overly expensive retirement packages for stars past theirprime.

Others disagree. "I'd much rather be in the business of marketing a superstar who cost me a lot of money than taking the 1-in-10, demonstrablyfailing crapshoot" of signing unknown talents, said Jeffrey Light, a Los Angeles entertainment attorney, referring to the traditional record companymodel.

But the dimensions of the competition could change if Live Nation begins vying for the same emerging artists that the labels hope to sign. Live Nation isnegotiating with a Georgia rock act, the Zac Brown Band, after apparently wooing it away from an offer by Atlantic Records, according to music executivesbriefed on the talks.

Jay-Z, for his part, suggested that the string of stars to exit the major-label system would also signal to younger acts how to plot their careers. He saidthat rising artists will be thinking: " 'Something must be happening. Madonna did it, she's not slow. Jay-Z, he's not slow either.'"

I hate that camel
mad.gif

Granpa needs to retire!!
tired.gif

When is he gonna give back to the hood??!!
smh.gif
smh.gif

Got time to do this but he can't break Beans out of jail?
grin.gif

Etc. Etc. ...

Live Nation is running the business, I met the manager for their Times Square location last month. Dude said he can't even keep track of all the deals theydo. Every week signing someone new.

Real Talk though....son is about to change the game with that deal.

Billionaire Hov you on a pace to make it...
pimp.gif

Jay is gonna be the pre-eminnet force in the Hip-Hop businees world. Them really old heads are going to have to take a backseat....I just hope he does theright things for the art-form going into this new era.

315px-Allcrew.jpg

"YOU GOT THE JUICE NOW..."

music is going to be free... nothing more than promotion for an artists shows, concerts, clothing, etc. (something that can't be downloaded) where they canmake real profit.

Originally Posted by StickManForDaPlatune

I hate that camel
mad.gif

Granpa needs to retire!!
tired.gif

When is he gonna give back to the hood??!!
smh.gif
smh.gif

Got time to do this but he can't break Beans out of jail?
grin.gif

Etc. Etc. ...
YOU MAD!

...someone didn't get it
eyes.gif

as far as Jay...he wins big time here

I don't know how I feel about the whole situation though...a lot of questions get raised.

But I'm happy for the man...he's always taking it to the next level.

I like this better than him thinking he can manage artists.

just think how much MORE money Memphis Bleek is going to be able to mooch now.
eek.gif

Live Nation is expected to contribute $5 million a year in overhead for five years, with another $25 million available to finance Jay-Z's acquisitions or investments, according to people in the music industry briefed on the agreement. The venture, to be called Roc Nation, will split profits with Live Nation.

The overall package for Jay-Z also includes an upfront payment of $25 million, a general advance of $25 million that includes fees for his current tour, and advance payment of $10 million an album for a minimum of three albums during the deal's 10-year term, these people said. A series of other payments adding up to about $20 million is included in exchange for certain publishing, licensing and other rights.

eek.gif
smh.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Those numbers just @@@%%* up my high...
tired.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I guess he lives up to "Change the game like he suppose"
But with all the people he leaves behind he should show more love
But I guess those millions will dry the tearz from his eyes
I feel for ya Jaz

music is going to be free... nothing more than promotion for an artists shows, concerts, clothing, etc. (something that can't be downloaded) where they can make real profit.
laugh.gif

In that case, I've been waaay ahead of the game for years now.

150 million is nothing to sneeze at and will be way more than he can make with the current system of making money.

this is a good move for jigga, but this system won't work for everybody

Just when Hov's past deals quiet down he comes and makes another 150 million. Crazy......You gotta admire dudes business sense. All these other rappersfail to take notes. I've always wondered is Hov still gonna run Rocafella? We know Bleek is good regardless. But what about the rest of the label? Iimagine Def Jam isn't letting Kanye go anywhere until his deal is up.

Originally Posted by mace40

music is going to be free... nothing more than promotion for an artists shows, concerts, clothing, etc. (something that can't be downloaded) where they can make real profit.
laugh.gif

In that case, I've been waaay ahead of the game for years now.

roll.gif

YA DIG

Damn, this dude is literally the role model for a come up.

Jaz O sidekick.

Original Flavor cameo.

Independent release.

50/50 venture with a major.

Superstar. Millionaire.

Major label president.

Mo' millionaire.

From AllHipHop.com

http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/04/03/19584274.aspx

Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter is expected to sign a 10-year-deal, $150 million dollar "360" deal with Live Nation, that will include Roc Nation, anew entertainment venture for the rapper, The New York Times reports.

If the deal goes through, Jay-Z, 38, will add more than $60 million dollars in cash to his bottom line.

The rapper, who owes one more album to Def Jam, is currently on his biggest tour outing in three years, headlining the "Heart of the City" tour withMary J. Blige, which was produced by Live Nation.

Live Nation envisions on handling all aspects of Jay-Z's entertainment, recording, tours and endorsement deals.

Under the terms of the deal, Jay-Z will receive an upfront payment of $25 million dollars, a general advance of $25 million dollars and an advance payment of$10 million dollars per album, for at least three albums.

Jay-Z will also receive a series of payments totaling about $20 million dollars for publishing, licensing and the rights to other endeavors produced by RocNation, as well as another $25 million dollars to target investments or acquisitions.

Finally, Live Nation will provided $5 million dollars a year to Roc Nation to support the new company's overhead for the next five years.

Last Monday (March 31), Live Nation announced that they had signed rock legends U2 to a 12-year global contract to expand and run the band's global musicenterprises including touring, merchandising, and the band's website, U2.com.

In October of 2007, the company announced a similar deal with Madonna.

Live Nation was created in 2005, when corporate giant Clear Channel Communications was split into three separate companies: Clear Channel Communications(radio), Clear Channel Outdoor (billboard advertising; outdoor display ads) and finally, Live Nation.

Back
Top Bottom