66 Billion Dollars with no college degree is unreal right Vol. Richest Man in America

If you can go to college do so. If you're an outlier like Gates and can be successful without a degree, do it. If you're not, stay and get your degree.

If you can't go to college, and if you're not an outlier, then I think what Gates is proposing is for you.
well put. 

And also, 'use college don't let it use you'. And I'd say that at the rate that college expenses are going up...college is using a lot of people.

We need to revamp high school and make it teach or at least be set up where it guides you into a career path/lets you explore.
agreed--i have a lot of faith in arne duncan tho

It's clear who's brainwashed by society in this thread....most of you are proving Gates' point lol
when i was 17 i got a job at a lawfirm. my boss was stupid smart and would drop knowledge on me whenever i was willing to listen. he once told me school now a days is just a way for banks to make money and to create divisions in society. told me his tuition was only $600 dollars.....hes a harvard grad

It's clear who's brainwashed by society in this thread....most of you are proving Gates' point lol
when i was 17 i got a job at a lawfirm. my boss was stupid smart and would drop knowledge on me whenever i was willing to listen. he once told me school now a days is just a way for banks to make money and to create divisions in society. told me his tuition was only $600 dollars.....hes a harvard grad
it's called inflation...but i see your point nonetheless.

He's saying this, but he's biased because he did it. He's the exception, not the rule. The majority of people need a college education to develop the proper intelligence to perform at a high level.
I agree with Gates for the most part. College may not be needed for everyone. However, it should be a requirement that you have some sort of skill in some field so you can be productive. A lot of ppl get degrees and never use it and end up sticking to working a job irrelevant to their degree and they are mediocre at their job.

Fact of the matter is, people are more productive at something they are skilled at and care for. I speak from the expeirence as somebody wondering through college when if I took the time to do proper trainning in a field, I would be 10x more productive. Tons of lost souls in College that never reach their potential.

This system is broken. College doesn't prepare you for life or actual work. It's in need of a major overhaul. Tons of people wasting their time and resources on college, and for what really?

This system is broken. College doesn't prepare you for life or actual work. It's in need of a major overhaul. Tons of people wasting their time and resources on college, and for what really?
I say that to myself often bro. Our society works like this

-do well/decent in high school

-go to 4 year school

-graduate

-get job

find wife

-get married

-have kids

-nice house, awesome family, good income nice/decent house

= American Dream fulfilled.

Thing is too many ppl using the same formula and it ain't working the way it used.

-

Last edited:
I don't believe in college, everyone else does. Spent time at a reputable school and didn't learn a single thing inside the classroom, instead went online to learn all my skills to excel in the classroom. So one of my prime incentives for going to a top school is to prove that it's irrelevant. 

I used to say Ferraris were overrated, but people told me to shut up until I owned one. So now I'm going to buy a damn Ferrari and tell people it's overrated.
how can you go to college and not learn a single thing in a classroom? i think you may not have been trying.

I don't believe in college, everyone else does. Spent time at a reputable school and didn't learn a single thing inside the classroom, instead went online to learn all my skills to excel in the classroom. So one of my prime incentives for going to a top school is to prove that it's irrelevant. 

I used to say Ferraris were overrated, but people told me to shut up until I owned one. So now I'm going to buy a damn Ferrari and tell people it's overrated.
how can you go to college and not learn a single thing in a classroom? i think you may not have been trying.
I did learn things in the classroom. I just found out that I could learn the exact same things online in a much faster method. I stopped going to my damn classes, took my laptop to the pool patio and read, then went in and did well on my tests. I had a 3.8 my first semester and I probably only went to class maybe 4-5 hrs a week and that's because one of my classes only had 14 kids and was attendance based.
i get what you are saying. some professors are horrible. they are hired based on their degrees and not on their ability to teach. glad it worked out for you.

I did learn things in the classroom. I just found out that I could learn the exact same things online in a much faster method. I stopped going to my damn classes, took my laptop to the pool patio and read, then went in and did well on my tests. I had a 3.8 my first semester and I probably only went to class maybe 4-5 hrs a week and that's because one of my classes only had 14 kids and was attendance based.
i get what you are saying. some professors are horrible. they are hired based on their degrees and not on their ability to teach. glad it worked out for you.
I mean, it wasn't that. The professors did their job to the best of anyone's ability. But many subjects, especially quantitative ones, can't be effectively taught in a classroom. How do you really teach someone to take the second derivative of something? Anyways, my biggest issue with the whole thing was that the information was right there online and going to class was extremely inefficient, since all the students learned at different paces. No need for me to sit there while the professor was slowing down to explain what an arcsine was when I needed to learn about an integral. The fact that giant lecture classes don't foster collaboration means going to class really is a waste of time.

On the other hand, I can't stand subjective classes. Writing classes really annoy me because everyone's style is unique. Writing is like art, there's elementary level art, but after you learn all the basics and foundation skills it's your choice to utilize it like a canvas. In high school certain teachers would openly blast my essays and later on other teachers would praise them. It's all taste, just because you don't like someone's writing doesn't mean it's bad unless it fundamentally has an issue with mechanics or grammar. Also don't even get me started on writing about a topic the professor disagrees with. That's a guaranteed way to a bad grade regardless of how thorough and well-written it is.

Because of all this, I really think the only things worth learning in a classroom are business skills (i.e. management, strategy, certain economics, case studies) and communication (public speaking, persuasion, deception, etc.). Quantitative stuff should be self-taught and subject liberal subjects should not be graded. Of course, discussions should be encouraged, lectures not so much.

I have a lot to say about this topic because for a while I hailed college as the white light at the end of the tunnel. I thought being in the ivory tower would be enlightening. Instead it's the same old process I despised in high school wrapped up in a fancy shell. And of course, like I said earlier, no one would take what I had to say to heart since I didn't experience it. So I did my time at a solid school and I'm going to move on to a better school as well, just to make sure I have my bases covered when I say, college is overrated.
great perspective.

Dude was smart enough to get into an ivy league, he clearly possesses a natural intelligence to learn things on his own, this doesn't mean people shouldn't go to college. These success stories are outliers.
QFT

He's the smartest kid in class. He's the guy who bumps the curve in your University class.

He has the natural talent. but also had the skill which he cultivated and worked on. It's like saying Michael Jordan did not make his High School Team in one of his years. It does not expose all the things he has done to outwork everyone.

heard this from the alumni at my school. I was so upset when one of them told me that he paid 250 a semester for tuition in the 90s. They are literally robbing our generation. That wouldn't even cover my books. It's close to what a parking decal cost smh.

I did not go to business school. You know who else didn't go to business school? LeBron James, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant. - Michael G. Scott

lol you seriously think these idiots are making decisions and calling the shots on their business ventures? no its the guys who did go to business school...they just string these celebrities along and make them richer and wealthier

lol you seriously think these idiots are making decisions and calling the shots on their business ventures? no its the guys who did go to business school...they just string these celebrities along and make them richer and wealthier

you can't even be ****** serious right now :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I mean, it wasn't that. The professors did their job to the best of anyone's ability. But many subjects, especially quantitative ones, can't be effectively taught in a classroom. How do you really teach someone to take the second derivative of something? Anyways, my biggest issue with the whole thing was that the information was right there online and going to class was extremely inefficient, since all the students learned at different paces. No need for me to sit there while the professor was slowing down to explain what an arcsine was when I needed to learn about an integral. The fact that giant lecture classes don't foster collaboration means going to class really is a waste of time.

On the other hand, I can't stand subjective classes. Writing classes really annoy me because everyone's style is unique. Writing is like art, there's elementary level art, but after you learn all the basics and foundation skills it's your choice to utilize it like a canvas. In high school certain teachers would openly blast my essays and later on other teachers would praise them. It's all taste, just because you don't like someone's writing doesn't mean it's bad unless it fundamentally has an issue with mechanics or grammar. Also don't even get me started on writing about a topic the professor disagrees with. That's a guaranteed way to a bad grade regardless of how thorough and well-written it is.

Because of all this, I really think the only things worth learning in a classroom are business skills (i.e. management, strategy, certain economics, case studies) and communication (public speaking, persuasion, deception, etc.). Quantitative stuff should be self-taught and subject liberal subjects should not be graded. Of course, discussions should be encouraged, lectures not so much.

I have a lot to say about this topic because for a while I hailed college as the white light at the end of the tunnel. I thought being in the ivory tower would be enlightening. Instead it's the same old process I despised in high school wrapped up in a fancy shell. And of course, like I said earlier, no one would take what I had to say to heart since I didn't experience it. So I did my time at a solid school and I'm going to move on to a better school as well, just to make sure I have my bases covered when I say, college is overrated.
qft

half the time cats are cheating in classes (and I went to a top 20 program), grades get curved up for no reason. 3 months learning ish i could have been tested for in a span of 2 weeks. etc

i know exactly how you fell dude, it's almost like you have to use the system to beat the system.

Dude was smart enough to get into an ivy league, he clearly possesses a natural intelligence to learn things on his own, this doesn't mean people shouldn't go to college. These success stories are outliers.
QFT

He's the smartest kid in class. He's the guy who bumps the curve in your University class.

He has the natural talent. but also had the skill which he cultivated and worked on. It's like saying Michael Jordan did not make his High School Team in one of his years. It does not expose all the things he has done to outwork everyone.
i don't think your analogy fits.

Folk that went the traditional school route are getting defensive for some reason. It's ok if that route worked for you, it didn't for plenty of others. I went to school and with what I know now, if I could go back I would have skipped school and gotten my IT certifications. Best part of school for me was the people I met. I have plenty of friends with no jobs in their major. And on the flip side, my old General Manager at the huge resort hotel I worked at was a Music Major. I don't think school is necessary for a lot of jobs and it isn't a real test of intelligence or work ethic.

you can't even be ****** serious right now :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

what? are you serious? you think the high schoolers you mentioned were plotting out their business ventures at the age of 18? and investing their money in certain places at certain specific times to maximize their profit?

no it was the advisors they pay who ask you yes or no on certain investments but they are really just telling them this is good and this isn't...

at the end of the day when it comes to celebrities its the business school dudes who are taking care of their money...when it comes to high school drop outs who turn multi billionaires like gates its the already privileged class who just had an idea and the intelligence and didn't need anymore schooling because of the money being made...the rest who just have a piece of paper for their 4 year degree scramble for low paying jobs just to keep up with their loans and expenses...

i did the whole high school and 4 year university rout...i dropped out with 3.5 years and ended up opening my own business..good GPA too like 3.7 and coulda easily smashed the LSAT and got into law school...had only 1.5 credits to go...

but with the perspective of no jobs with just a 4 year bacholers and the idea of doing 3 more years like a sheep sell out just to be in more debt with no jobs..i woke up and realized the illusion of education and moved on to pay off my 40k and never look back...

i acted up on an idea and ran with it...now i am my own boss and employ two other people...

school isn't the end all be all..the best way to live a comfortably life is through a business or an idea that you can make money off...

Last edited:
what? are you serious? you think the high schoolers you mentioned were plotting out their business ventures at the age of 18? and investing their money in certain places at certain specific times to maximize their profit?

no it was the advisors they pay who ask you yes or no on certain investments but they are really just telling them this is good and this isn't...

at the end of the day when it comes to celebrities its the business school dudes who are taking care of their money...when it comes to high school drop outs who turn multi billionaires like gates its the already privileged class who just had an idea and the intelligence and didn't need anymore schooling because of the money being made...the rest who just have a piece of paper for their 4 year degree scramble for low paying jobs just to keep up with their loans and expenses...

i did the whole high school and 4 year university rout...i dropped out with 3.5 years and ended up opening my own business...had only 1.5 credits to go...but with the perspective of no jobs and 40k in college debt...i acted up on an idea and ran with it...now i am my own boss and employ two other people...

school isn't the end all be all..the best way to live a comfortably life is through a business or an idea that you can make money off...

oh my GOD it's from The Office! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Folk that went the traditional school route are getting defensive for some reason. It's ok if that route worked for you, it didn't for plenty of others. I went to school and with what I know now, if I could go back I would have skipped school and gotten my IT certifications. Best part of school for me was the people I met. I have plenty of friends with no jobs in their major. And on the flip side, my old General Manager at the huge resort hotel I worked at was a Music Major. I don't think school is necessary for a lot of jobs and it isn't a real test of intelligence or work ethic.
and they have to be defensive, i think the older people get they realize that it was really not that worth it.

when one of the richest women in america was an english literature major, and runs a financial services company you realize something aint adding up.

you can't even be ****** serious right now
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

i did the whole high school and 4 year university rout...i dropped out with 3.5 years and ended up opening my own business..good GPA too like 3.7 and coulda easily smashed the LSAT and got into law school...had only 1.5 credits to go...

but with the perspective of no jobs with just a 4 year bacholers and the idea of doing 3 more years like a sheep sell out just to be in more debt with no jobs..i woke up and realized the illusion of education and moved on to pay off my 40k and never look back...

i acted up on an idea and ran with it...now i am my own boss and employ two other people...

roll.gif

Last edited:
World hunger could be solved right now, The amount of lbs of vegetation that it takes to make 1lb of meat is not 1 to 1 ratio. Cut out eating meat across the board, end world hunger. But that wont ever happen theres money to be made and meat taste good. Its not a question of how much money.

^umich?

And you should care about cheating even if there is no curve. Cheating=higher grades for the other person which would make them look better to an employer

But yet that still eludes to my point... if your at a ivy school chances are you have the $$$ and the connections to create a job/business. Trust and believe the community college dude could do the same thing but do to limited finances, and not being around the right ppl to place them in the positions...all they have is a dream deferred and end up going to work for someone.

Not saying the guys at MIT are dumb.... but chances are they are in money, well connected, and have ppl around them to place them in the position to start up a company etc...

The guy at the local college working 2 part time jobs and around ppl with no juice and no connections...doesn't really have the same shot/opportunities. 
You are correct. If you don't already have money and connections before entering college then you better find a way to stand out to people that do and can help you. Getting good grades is not enough.
Meh it depends on what you're going to college for. A lot of people in this day and age just go to college, do the curriculum, get their degree, and expect people to fall down hiring them because of their degrees. I know, especially for the field I'm going into, I need to network and build up my skill set in order to get the job I want. So while I'm in college, I'm taking the classes where the professors work in the field they teach, asking questions/building relationships after class, and doing a major load of interships before I graduate. This way I can get my name out there, get my foot in the door, and have a leg up on someone because I have both a degree AND experience. 
This is the key right here. But you don't even have to be building a relationship with professors. In life, you should always be open to meeting new people and listening to what they have to say. You never know what doors people can open for you (or what doors you can open for them). Building relationships by sharing genuine life experiences/aspirations will get you places. The notion that you will impress someone with a piece of paper and superficial social skills in an interview is over saturated and played.

Learn how to talk to people of all different walks of life. More importantly, learn how to listen to people. In this digital age, the ability to make a genuine human connection with someone is a lost art. I think there is a lot of value in being a good listener.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom