48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

balloonoboy wrote:

2g00d4u wrote:

Of all the places I visited, only andantech (other than NT)  mentioned distribution.

Then this person came up with this:

You fools need to look up distributive property. The answer is 2.

The distributive property is simply multiplication in an expanded written form to, supposedly, allow for easier reading/understanding of what's going on. The reason you might incorrectly think that distribution holds a higher precedence in the order of operations is because it's only used by most people in algebra/geometry during high school and only taken to the extent of: 2x(4x + 7) + 8x^2(x -2) . As such, distribution for many may appear to be higher in the order of operations because 99% of the population only deals with it through adding/subtracting values that have been distributed (and multiplication is always performed before adding and subtracting). Distribution holds the same weight as multiplication in the order of operations because the distributive property is multiplication.

Also, whoever thinks there's something called an "implied parenthesis" is a fool. There's no such thing. There is an order of operations and there are parentheses.

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS?
you must have skipped the last sentence...please reread your own quoted source, which refutes your underlying argument.

-waystinthyme

What are you talking about? I posted charts and vids that all say a(b+c) = ab + ac always

My only problem now is if after the parenthesis is distributed does it remain a parenthesis. If this dude is right, who I have no idea he is, then the answer is 8.66667, since there are no implied parenthesis. If he's wrong, it's 2.

288 is out of the question.

balloonoboy wrote:

2g00d4u wrote:

Of all the places I visited, only andantech (other than NT)  mentioned distribution.

The distributive property is simply multiplication in an expanded written form to, supposedly, allow for easier reading/understanding of what's going on. The reason you might incorrectly think that distribution holds a higher precedence in the order of operations is because it's only used by most people in algebra/geometry during high school and only taken to the extent of: 2x(4x + 7) + 8x^2(x -2) . As such, distribution for many may appear to be higher in the order of operations because 99% of the population only deals with it through adding/subtracting values that have been distributed (and multiplication is always performed before adding and subtracting). Distribution holds the same weight as multiplication in the order of operations because the distributive property is multiplication.

Also, whoever thinks there's something called an "implied parenthesis" is a fool. There's no such thing. There is an order of operations and there are parentheses.

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS?
you must have skipped the last sentence...please reread your own quoted source, which refutes your underlying argument.

-waystinthyme

What are you talking about? I posted charts and vids that all say a(b+c) = ab + ac always

My only problem now is if after the parenthesis is distributed does it remain a parenthesis. If this dude is right, who I have no idea he is, then the answer is 8.66667, since there are no implied parenthesis. If he's wrong, it's 2.

lock this thread up. this is going no where. if the problem is meant to read (48/2)*(9+3) then the answer is 288. if it is meant to read 48/(2(9+3)) then the answer is 2.

the only real discrepancy is whether or not the (9+3) is apart of the denominator or not.

lock this thread up. this is going no where. if the problem is meant to read (48/2)*(9+3) then the answer is 288. if it is meant to read 48/(2(9+3)) then the answer is 2.

the only real discrepancy is whether or not the (9+3) is apart of the denominator or not.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS? I need a source.

Dude he is right. Once you simplify what's inside the parentheses then PEMDAS aka order of operations takes over again. You are trying to add a 2nd set of parentheses around "2(9+3)".
Multiplication is the inverse of Division

Addition is the inverse of Subtraction

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS? I need a source.

Dude he is right. Once you simplify what's inside the parentheses then PEMDAS aka order of operations takes over again. You are trying to add a 2nd set of parentheses around "2(9+3)".
Multiplication is the inverse of Division

Addition is the inverse of Subtraction

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

i love how the 2 crowd has to 'add' or 'imply' something to get their answer to work...

how about just doing the problem as it's written?

when i saw 48, i didn't 'imply' it was 96(1/2)...when i see 64, i don't imply it's 8^2, etc.

i looked at the problem and solved it as written. why can't you do the same?

-waystinthyme

Again, I didn't have to add anything 
laugh.gif
 It's all there. If you can't see beyond the simplified forms of math equations, that is not anybody's issue but yours. It's all there in the original equation. 2(9+3) is and always will be the same as (2 * 1(9 + 3)). It's just extended.

Where as the only way for the answer to be 288 is to assume that 48 / 2 is (48 / 2).

If anything, you guys are the ones making things up 
laugh.gif
64 will always be the same as 2x2x2x2x2x2...your point?

-waystinthyme

2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

i love how the 2 crowd has to 'add' or 'imply' something to get their answer to work...

when i saw 48, i didn't 'imply' it was 96(1/2)...when i see 64, i don't imply it's 8^2, etc.

-waystinthyme

laugh.gif
 It's all there. If you can't see beyond the simplified forms of math equations, that is not anybody's issue but yours. It's all there in the original equation. 2(9+3) is and always will be the same as (2 * 1(9 + 3)). It's just extended.

Where as the only way for the answer to be 288 is to assume that 48 / 2 is (48 / 2).

laugh.gif
64 will always be the same as 2x2x2x2x2x2...your point?

-waystinthyme

-waystinthyme

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
No it isn't.
You're not looking the equation as is. How is taking it for face value making things up? You don't have to do (48 / 2)....it is given that that is performed before multiplaction due to the order of operations. 48/2 occurs before 2*12 would.

-waystinthyme

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
No it isn't.
You're not looking the equation as is. How is taking it for face value making things up? You don't have to do (48 / 2)....it is given that that is performed before multiplaction due to the order of operations. 48/2 occurs before 2*12 would.

The answer is 288.

I dont know. I posted that to see what the thoughts are for those that answered 2.

Im still sticking with 288. I just dont see why theres a need to distribute.

To me, or at least from what I learned 2(12) means 2*12.

so 48/2*12 and from left to right, =288

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by BLADE BR0WN

This is not the way the question is written tho, that's the problem...

Yes is it!!!
Exactly.

I thought we had too many Asians on NT....maybe not, after seeing this thread.
laugh.gif
If there is a god, this comment will take this thread in a much more fun direction.

The answer is 288.

I dont know. I posted that to see what the thoughts are for those that answered 2.

Im still sticking with 288. I just dont see why theres a need to distribute.

To me, or at least from what I learned 2(12) means 2*12.

so 48/2*12 and from left to right, =288

Yes is it!!!
Exactly.

laugh.gif
If there is a god, this comment will take this thread in a much more fun direction.

Originally Posted by do work son

No, we lock this up after the 2's are proven right.

Team #2 checking in. 

Originally Posted by do work son

No, we lock this up after the 2's are proven right.

Team #2 checking in. 

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Yes is it!!!
Exactly.

laugh.gif

I already corrected myself
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

balloonoboy wrote:

-waystinthyme

you're comparing applies to oranges.

(b+c) can't be simplified...

(9+3) can...

in the former situation, you distribute, because you can't simplify the terms inside of the parentheses...

in the latter, you add the terms in the parentheses, then complete the rest of the equation according to PEMDAS.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Yes is it!!!
Exactly.

laugh.gif

I already corrected myself
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Now I see why the other thread was locked. This is going nowhere fast.

Someone refutes someone else, ad infinitum.

Back
Top Bottom