48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

BUT, 288 doesn't even check, tho, so how could it possibly be the right answer?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What is this I don't even 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Cmon NT did you really just make me quote myself?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by FullMetal

Yeah okay but in 48/2(12) division comes before multiplication. 

parenthesis comes before both division and multiplication.
LOL. The rule deals with what is inside the parentheses. 9+3. That is ALL that Parentheses means. It doesn't mean multiply that by 2 because it is in parentheses. It just simplifies it to the action of multiplication. 48/2(12) is NOT 48/(2(12)). That would mean to use Parentheses again. But it is just 48/2(12) which is the SAME thing as 48/2*12. In which, you only have division and multiplication, and have to do which comes first. 48/2=24 then 24*12=288.
I cannot believe this thread is still going
roll.gif

It is
You're still confusing the difference between distribution and multiplication. When you distribute through a parenthetical, a process of multiplication is used, but it's only in order to resolve the parentheses, which must vanish BEFORE any other step is taken. The 2 MUST BE distributed through the parentheses or it doesn't go away. Forget the MD of PEMDAS and focus on the P. You can't even divide until that parentheses goes away. You guys are going straight for the division, which is not how math works. 

Originally Posted by FullMetal

Yeah okay but in 48/2(12) division comes before multiplication. 

LOL. The rule deals with what is inside the parentheses. 9+3. That is ALL that Parentheses means. It doesn't mean multiply that by 2 because it is in parentheses. It just simplifies it to the action of multiplication. 48/2(12) is NOT 48/(2(12)). That would mean to use Parentheses again. But it is just 48/2(12) which is the SAME thing as 48/2*12. In which, you only have division and multiplication, and have to do which comes first. 48/2=24 then 24*12=288.
roll.gif

It is
You're still confusing the difference between distribution and multiplication. When you distribute through a parenthetical, a process of multiplication is used, but it's only in order to resolve the parentheses, which must vanish BEFORE any other step is taken. The 2 MUST BE distributed through the parentheses or it doesn't go away. Forget the MD of PEMDAS and focus on the P. You can't even divide until that parentheses goes away. You guys are going straight for the division, which is not how math works. 

Originally Posted by Apocalypz

Once again, with the question is written, the answer is two.

R4y7j.png
But it's not written like that. If it were, the thread would be somewhere on the 8th page of General.

R4y7j.png
But it's not written like that. If it were, the thread would be somewhere on the 8th page of General.

R4y7j.png
The picture is implying that you are adding another parenthesis. In actuality you the proper way to rewrite this problem is as (48 / 2) (9+3) By rule of order of operation this it the only possible way to re write the problem.

Of all the places I visited, only andantech (other than NT)  mentioned distribution.

Then this person came up with this:

You fools need to look up distributive property. The answer is 2.
The distributive property is simply multiplication in an expanded written form to, supposedly, allow for easier reading/understanding of what's going on. The reason you might incorrectly think that distribution holds a higher precedence in the order of operations is because it's only used by most people in algebra/geometry during high school and only taken to the extent of: 2x(4x + 7) + 8x^2(x -2) . As such, distribution for many may appear to be higher in the order of operations because 99% of the population only deals with it through adding/subtracting values that have been distributed (and multiplication is always performed before adding and subtracting). Distribution holds the same weight as multiplication in the order of operations because the distributive property is multiplication.

Also, whoever thinks there's something called an "implied parenthesis" is a fool. There's no such thing. There is an order of operations and there are parentheses.

The answer is 288.

It's 2.

Here's how

the equation is

48/2(9+3)=2
The 2 is attached to the (9+3). You cannot break it up. The 2 is a part of the parenthesis.

If i was 48/2*(9+3) the answer would be 288
Get it

Yall need to go to math class.

R4y7j.png
The picture is implying that you are adding another parenthesis. In actuality you the proper way to rewrite this problem is as (48 / 2) (9+3) By rule of order of operation this it the only possible way to re write the problem.

Of all the places I visited, only andantech (other than NT)  mentioned distribution.

Then this person came up with this:

You fools need to look up distributive property. The answer is 2.
The distributive property is simply multiplication in an expanded written form to, supposedly, allow for easier reading/understanding of what's going on. The reason you might incorrectly think that distribution holds a higher precedence in the order of operations is because it's only used by most people in algebra/geometry during high school and only taken to the extent of: 2x(4x + 7) + 8x^2(x -2) . As such, distribution for many may appear to be higher in the order of operations because 99% of the population only deals with it through adding/subtracting values that have been distributed (and multiplication is always performed before adding and subtracting). Distribution holds the same weight as multiplication in the order of operations because the distributive property is multiplication.

Also, whoever thinks there's something called an "implied parenthesis" is a fool. There's no such thing. There is an order of operations and there are parentheses.

The answer is 288.

It's 2.

Here's how

the equation is

48/2(9+3)=2
The 2 is attached to the (9+3). You cannot break it up. The 2 is a part of the parenthesis.

Get it

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

R4y7j.png
Exactly why this is still on the first page. And the way I put it is the same as the equation in the topic.

Whatever is on the left side of the division sign, is the numerator. Whatever is on the right side, the denominator. Work it out from there.

Edit:
Get it
Exactly. The divisor becomes 24 because the 2 is attached to the (9+3).

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

roll.gif

It is
You're wrong though. There's no variable x,y, z, etc. that needs to be distributed to simplify the parentheses. Only an action in the order of operations. After you add what is in the parentheses you are in the clear. 9+3 is 12. After that you just divide and multiply. You don't need to distribute in this problem. Once you get 12 inside the parentheses the action the parentheses indicate are multiplication. You definitely CAN divide with that parentheses still there, there is no action to be completed within them.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

roll.gif

It is
You're wrong though. There's no variable x,y, z, etc. that needs to be distributed to simplify the parentheses. Only an action in the order of operations. After you add what is in the parentheses you are in the clear. 9+3 is 12. After that you just divide and multiply. You don't need to distribute in this problem. Once you get 12 inside the parentheses the action the parentheses indicate are multiplication. You definitely CAN divide with that parentheses still there, there is no action to be completed within them.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

R4y7j.png
Exactly why this is still on the first page. And the way I put it is the same as the equation in the topic.

Whatever is on the left side of the division sign, is the numerator. Whatever is on the right side, the denominator. Work it out from there.

Edit:
Get it
Exactly. The divisor becomes 24 because the 2 is attached to the (9+3).

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

if so, i don't see your argument.

your answer is only true if 2(9+3) were (2(9+3), which it IS NOT in the original equation.

-waystinthyme
2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

i love how the 2 crowd has to 'add' or 'imply' something to get their answer to work...

As opposed to the 288 crowd who are literally ADDING a non-existent multiplication symbol in order to justify their answer?

When, in life, have you ever seen a set up such as X(Y+Z) and not thought immediately that you have to distribute X into the parentheses?

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

if so, i don't see your argument.

your answer is only true if 2(9+3) were (2(9+3), which it IS NOT in the original equation.

-waystinthyme
2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

i love how the 2 crowd has to 'add' or 'imply' something to get their answer to work...

As opposed to the 288 crowd who are literally ADDING a non-existent multiplication symbol in order to justify their answer?

When, in life, have you ever seen a set up such as X(Y+Z) and not thought immediately that you have to distribute X into the parentheses?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

yes, because you're wrong.

Spoiler [+]
48÷2(9+3) = 288

48÷2(12) = 288 --- divide both sides by 12

48÷2 = 288/12

24 = 24

please tell me again how this problem does not 'check'...

-waystinthyme

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

yes, because you're wrong.

Spoiler [+]
48÷2(9+3) = 288

48÷2(12) = 288 --- divide both sides by 12

48÷2 = 288/12

24 = 24

please tell me again how this problem does not 'check'...

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by cguy610

It's 2.

Here's how

the equation is

48/2(9+3)=2

Get it

Distribution only works with variables in the way the problem is written. If you were going to imply that answer youd have to show that it is 48 over 2/9+3 . The way it is written (short hand) doesnt allow that without adding another parenthesis into it.

Originally Posted by cguy610

It's 2.

Here's how

the equation is

48/2(9+3)=2

Get it

Distribution only works with variables in the way the problem is written. If you were going to imply that answer youd have to show that it is 48 over 2/9+3 . The way it is written (short hand) doesnt allow that without adding another parenthesis into it.

Back
Top Bottom