48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

And ive refuted it just as many. Show me where your source is that you MUST combine the terms. It isn't explicitly stated in such a problem. If the problem were simply 2(9+3), then okay I'll combine because I have to in order to get the answer. But in this particular problem, where order of operations are in play, you can't just add, until AFTER you divide.
You can add 9+3 first because its in the PARENTHESIS where the P in PEMDAS comes from. You solve/simplify whats IN the parenthesis.

as shown here:
http://www.mathgoodies.co...l7/order_operations.html

where ALL examples simplify whats in the parenthesis FIRST.
Yea but this special distributive property rule isn't in play in any of those problems. It is here.
Show an example of your distributive property from a source.

Yea but this special distributive property rule isn't in play in any of those problems. It is here.

Look at the example shown at the 2 minute mark. THE FINAL ANSWER is 266 in that problem which is what is left.

Look at the example shown at the 2 minute mark. THE FINAL ANSWER is 266 in that problem which is what is left.

exactly! there is an implied set of parenthesis around that. if they are like terms you combine and drop the parenthesis. if they are not like terms, you can just drop the parenthesis outright

exactly! there is an implied set of parenthesis around that. if they are like terms you combine and drop the parenthesis. if they are not like terms, you can just drop the parenthesis outright

Step one is to do the parenthesis completely which is 24
Step two is to divide 48 by 24

THE ANSWER IS 2

Step one is to do the parenthesis completely which is 24
Step two is to divide 48 by 24

THE ANSWER IS 2

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

I dont see the argument. You should get the same answer anyway you solve it as long as you follow the rules.

48/2(9+3)

Using Quotient rule and Distribution rule the problem can be re-written as

48*.5(9+3)

Which still gives you 288.

thank you.

for the parethenses purists...the 48/2 should be multiplied by the value in the parenthesis, not just the 2.

which gives you the correct answer, 288.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

I dont see the argument. You should get the same answer anyway you solve it as long as you follow the rules.

48/2(9+3)

48*.5(9+3)

thank you.

for the parethenses purists...the 48/2 should be multiplied by the value in the parenthesis, not just the 2.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

48/2(9+3)

48*.5(9+3)

thank you.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

Only true if 48 / 2 were (48 / 2).
Sorry bro.

48/2(9+3)

48*.5(9+3)

thank you.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

Sorry bro.

Originally Posted by do work son

Y'all fail to realize that problem doesn't involve Order of Operations.

That's the key.

What I find most amazing is that people still don't know how to use PEMDAS. Arguing that you HAVE to multiple then divide. That argument is already proven irrelevant and put down MULTIPLE times. But hey look at the bright side you learned basic math in Niketalk.

The real argument here is what to do with 48/2(12)

What I find most amazing is that people still don't know how to use PEMDAS. Arguing that you HAVE to multiple then divide. That argument is already proven irrelevant and put down MULTIPLE times. But hey look at the bright side you learned basic math in Niketalk.

Originally Posted by do work son

Y'all fail to realize that problem doesn't involve Order of Operations.

That's the key.

Are people saying you multiple the 48 because the 9 plus 3 are in ( ). That is wrong. You don't multiply is by 2 and then keep the brackets up and multiply by 48 also. Brackets don't mean you continually multiply it.

Are people saying you multiple the 48 because the 9 plus 3 are in ( ). That is wrong. You don't multiply is by 2 and then keep the brackets up and multiply by 48 also. Brackets don't mean you continually multiply it.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

48/2(9+3)

48*.5(9+3)

thank you.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

Sorry bro.

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

if so, i don't see your argument.

your answer is only true if 2(9+3) were (2(9+3), which it IS NOT in the original equation.

-waystinthyme

48/2(9+3)

48*.5(9+3)

thank you.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

Sorry bro.

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

your answer is only true if 2(9+3) were (2(9+3), which it IS NOT in the original equation.

-waystinthyme

BUT, 288 doesn't even check, tho, so how could it possibly be the right answer?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What is this I don't even 
laugh.gif

BUT, 288 doesn't even check, tho, so how could it possibly be the right answer?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What is this I don't even 
laugh.gif

thank you.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

Sorry bro.

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

-waystinthyme
2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

Originally Posted by KkennethJ

Divide it first. Then multiple. I learned that if the equation is this short and only 2 basic operations are left in the problem ( Multiplication and Division) ( Addition or subtraction) at this point one just does basic math and PEMDAS becomes void. So in this case divide 48 by 2 and then multiply by 12. This only is used though if the problem has only addition and subtraction remaining or if the problem has multiplication and division remaining. Even though there is a parenthesis here it serves the same purpose as a multiplication sign. I've literally only seen this example in my lifetime of doing math once.

Originally Posted by KkennethJ

Divide it first. Then multiple. I learned that if the equation is this short and only 2 basic operations are left in the problem ( Multiplication and Division) ( Addition or subtraction) at this point one just does basic math and PEMDAS becomes void. So in this case divide 48 by 2 and then multiply by 12. This only is used though if the problem has only addition and subtraction remaining or if the problem has multiplication and division remaining. Even though there is a parenthesis here it serves the same purpose as a multiplication sign. I've literally only seen this example in my lifetime of doing math once.

thank you.

/thread.

-waystinthyme

Sorry bro.

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

-waystinthyme
2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

Back
Top Bottom