48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Yea but it agrees with the chart I posted and other distributive property rules. Take that %+%@ somewhere else. No where does it state you HAVE to resolve what's in the parenthesis. Only that you have to distribute.
You are wrong ballonboy. The example you gave was using variables not real numbers. In a situation with numbers you must SIMPLIFY before you move on. The reason your example didnt simplify is because you cant simplify passed that for just variables.
Okay. But the point remains that 2(9+3) = 18 + 6, not (18 + 6)

Going further than that would result in addition. Adding comes after division. 48 ÷ 18 + 6 and PEMDAS still applies.
i think i've quoted you at least 5 times simply to say "combine the like terms that come from the distribution"

Spoiler [+]
combine the like terms that come from the distribution
And ive refuted it just as many. Show me where your source is that you MUST combine the terms. It isn't explicitly stated in such a problem. If the problem were simply 2(9+3), then okay I'll combine because I have to in order to get the answer. But in this particular problem, where order of operations are in play, you can't just add. You have to follow PEMDAS.

Yea but it agrees with the chart I posted and other distributive property rules. Take that %+%@ somewhere else. No where does it state you HAVE to resolve what's in the parenthesis. Only that you have to distribute.
You are wrong ballonboy. The example you gave was using variables not real numbers. In a situation with numbers you must SIMPLIFY before you move on. The reason your example didnt simplify is because you cant simplify passed that for just variables.

Going further than that would result in addition. Adding comes after division. 48 ÷ 18 + 6 and PEMDAS still applies.
i think i've quoted you at least 5 times simply to say "combine the like terms that come from the distribution"

Spoiler [+]
And ive refuted it just as many. Show me where your source is that you MUST combine the terms. It isn't explicitly stated in such a problem. If the problem were simply 2(9+3), then okay I'll combine because I have to in order to get the answer. But in this particular problem, where order of operations are in play, you can't just add. You have to follow PEMDAS.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

Originally Posted by FullMetal

the parenthesis doesn't magically disappear after adding. (9+3) (7+2)
(12)(9)
Otherwise %!$ is left in the equation just a 12 and a 9 with no sign or anything to do with it?

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

Parenthesis is still there and will always be there until you take action to get rid of it by multiplying

48/24

2 jesus.
Yeah okay but in 48/2(12) division comes before multiplication. 
PARENTHESIS FIRST HOW IS IT SO HARD. GOTTA GET RID OF THE PARENTHESIS NOT JUST DO WHATS INSIDE OF IT. YES CAPS LOCK. (actual accident but im not backspacing)

Find a example online that shows that multiplication by juxtaposition is actually a real law though because ive been looking and no CONCRETE evidence of multiplication by juxtaposition holding precedence in order of operation. Find a source and people will believe you.

Originally Posted by FullMetal

the parenthesis doesn't magically disappear after adding. (9+3) (7+2)
(12)(9)
Otherwise %!$ is left in the equation just a 12 and a 9 with no sign or anything to do with it?

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

Parenthesis is still there and will always be there until you take action to get rid of it by multiplying

48/24

2 jesus.
Yeah okay but in 48/2(12) division comes before multiplication. 
PARENTHESIS FIRST HOW IS IT SO HARD. GOTTA GET RID OF THE PARENTHESIS NOT JUST DO WHATS INSIDE OF IT. YES CAPS LOCK. (actual accident but im not backspacing)

Find a example online that shows that multiplication by juxtaposition is actually a real law though because ive been looking and no CONCRETE evidence of multiplication by juxtaposition holding precedence in order of operation. Find a source and people will believe you.

Spoiler [+]
And ive refuted it just as many. Show me where your source is that you MUST combine the terms. It isn't explicitly stated in such a problem. If the problem were simply 2(9+3), then okay I'll combine because I have to in order to get the answer. But in this particular problem, where order of operations are in play, you can't just add, until AFTER you divide.
You can add 9+3 first because its in the PARENTHESIS where the P in PEMDAS comes from. You solve/simplify whats IN the parenthesis.

as shown here:
http://www.mathgoodies.co...l7/order_operations.html

where ALL examples simplify whats in the parenthesis FIRST.

Spoiler [+]
And ive refuted it just as many. Show me where your source is that you MUST combine the terms. It isn't explicitly stated in such a problem. If the problem were simply 2(9+3), then okay I'll combine because I have to in order to get the answer. But in this particular problem, where order of operations are in play, you can't just add, until AFTER you divide.
You can add 9+3 first because its in the PARENTHESIS where the P in PEMDAS comes from. You solve/simplify whats IN the parenthesis.

as shown here:

Why is this thread 19+ pages? 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Spoiler [+]
parenthesis don't just disappear. they only go away when the function in the parenthesis has been simplified to its fullest extent. i explained earlier that x(3+2) = (3x+2x)= (5x). only after you get to 5x in that example can the parenthesis go away.

Even with these answers you all are coming up with... Some of the approaches to these answers are wrong...

Very, very, poorly written problem...

Even with these answers you all are coming up with... Some of the approaches to these answers are wrong...

Very, very, poorly written problem...

Spoiler [+]
parenthesis don't just disappear. they only go away when the function in the parenthesis has been simplified to its fullest extent. i explained earlier that x(3+2) = (3x+2x)= (5x). only after you get to 5x in that example can the parenthesis go away.

Spoiler [+]

as shown here:

Yea but this special distributive property rule isn't in play in any of those problems. It is here.

Spoiler [+]

as shown here:

Yea but this special distributive property rule isn't in play in any of those problems. It is here.

Spoiler [+]

Yea but there are no variables in this problem. Just real numbers.

You have to combine like terms in that equation because there is a constant "x" that has to be accounted for, which make up the like terms. Not here.

Spoiler [+]

You have to combine like terms in that equation because there is a constant "x" that has to be accounted for, which make up the like terms. Not here.

as shown here:

Show an example of your distributive property from a source.

as shown here:

the point is, you have to fully combine like terms before you can just remove the parenthesis.

the point is, you have to fully combine like terms before you can just remove the parenthesis.

as shown here:

Back
Top Bottom