48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by cguy610

It's 2.

Here's how

the equation is

48/2(9+3)=2
The 2 is attached to the (9+3). You cannot break it up. The 2 is a part of the parenthesis.

If i was 48/2*(9+3) the answer would be 288
Get it

Yall need to go to math class.
So now the 2 is attached to the parentheses? That's not what the rule is. It's what is inside of them.
If the problem was 48/(2(9+3)) THAT equals 2.
The original problem equals 288.
I went to math class, and know when to use the distributive property (NOT HERE) and when actions are taken WITHIN parentheses.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

i love how the 2 crowd has to 'add' or 'imply' something to get their answer to work...

As opposed to the 288 crowd who are literally ADDING a non-existent multiplication symbol in order to justify their answer?

When, in life, have you ever seen a set up such as X(Y+Z) and not thought immediately that you have to distribute X into the parentheses?

by distribute, do you mean multiply? if so, then i don't see a multiplication symbol in X(Y+Z)...did you add it in?

if that really your argument against the 288 crowd? please try harder.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

2(9 + 3) is equivalent to (2 * 1(9 + 3)) which is the extended version. 2(9 + 3) is simplified. It's implied.

i love how the 2 crowd has to 'add' or 'imply' something to get their answer to work...

As opposed to the 288 crowd who are literally ADDING a non-existent multiplication symbol in order to justify their answer?

When, in life, have you ever seen a set up such as X(Y+Z) and not thought immediately that you have to distribute X into the parentheses?

by distribute, do you mean multiply? if so, then i don't see a multiplication symbol in X(Y+Z)...did you add it in?

if that really your argument against the 288 crowd? please try harder.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by cguy610

It's 2.

Here's how

the equation is

48/2(9+3)=2
The 2 is attached to the (9+3). You cannot break it up. The 2 is a part of the parenthesis.

Get it

Yall need to go to math class.
So now the 2 is attached to the parentheses? That's not what the rule is. It's what is inside of them.
If the problem was 48/(2(9+3)) THAT equals 2.
The original problem equals 288.
I went to math class, and know when to use the distributive property (NOT HERE) and when actions are taken WITHIN parentheses.

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

Of all the places I visited, only andantech (other than NT)  mentioned distribution.

Then this person came up with this:

You fools need to look up distributive property. The answer is 2.
The distributive property is simply multiplication in an expanded written form to, supposedly, allow for easier reading/understanding of what's going on. The reason you might incorrectly think that distribution holds a higher precedence in the order of operations is because it's only used by most people in algebra/geometry during high school and only taken to the extent of: 2x(4x + 7) + 8x^2(x -2) . As such, distribution for many may appear to be higher in the order of operations because 99% of the population only deals with it through adding/subtracting values that have been distributed (and multiplication is always performed before adding and subtracting). Distribution holds the same weight as multiplication in the order of operations because the distributive property is multiplication.

Also, whoever thinks there's something called an "implied parenthesis" is a fool. There's no such thing. There is an order of operations and there are parentheses.

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS? I need a source.

Of all the places I visited, only andantech (other than NT)  mentioned distribution.

The distributive property is simply multiplication in an expanded written form to, supposedly, allow for easier reading/understanding of what's going on. The reason you might incorrectly think that distribution holds a higher precedence in the order of operations is because it's only used by most people in algebra/geometry during high school and only taken to the extent of: 2x(4x + 7) + 8x^2(x -2) . As such, distribution for many may appear to be higher in the order of operations because 99% of the population only deals with it through adding/subtracting values that have been distributed (and multiplication is always performed before adding and subtracting). Distribution holds the same weight as multiplication in the order of operations because the distributive property is multiplication.

Also, whoever thinks there's something called an "implied parenthesis" is a fool. There's no such thing. There is an order of operations and there are parentheses.

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS? I need a source.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS?
you must have skipped the last sentence...please reread your own quoted source, which refutes your underlying argument.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

This #!%$ is 20 pages, why?
partly because theres 2 pages worth of responses like yours
laugh.gif

The answer is 288.

This would make sense if the 2 wasn't infinitely a part of the parenthetical phrase. And where does it say that distribution is relegated to the M spot in PEMDAS?
you must have skipped the last sentence...please reread your own quoted source, which refutes your underlying argument.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Apocalypz

Once again, with the question is written, the answer is two.

R4y7j.png
But it's not written like that. If it were, the thread would be somewhere on the 8th page of General.
Exactly why this is still on the first page. And the way I put it is the same as the equation in the topic.

Whatever is on the left side of the division sign, is the numerator. Whatever is on the right side, the denominator. Work it out from there.

Edit:
Get it
Exactly. The divisor becomes 24 because the 2 is attached to the (9+3).

Wrong though. The 2 isn't attached to the (9+3). If the 9+3 didn't need to be performed first, the problem would read, 48/2*12. If it was meant to be in the denominator it would read 48/(2*12). But it isn't. That's not how you write out this equation, it is 48 all over 2. Times (9+3). Separate.

The answer is 288.

It isn't part of the parenthetical phrase. The parenthetical phrase is its own entity. If it was (2(9+3)) then you would be correct in that it MUST be performed (2*12) before division can occur with the 48 and this phrase.

R4y7j.png
But it's not written like that. If it were, the thread would be somewhere on the 8th page of General.
Exactly why this is still on the first page. And the way I put it is the same as the equation in the topic.

Whatever is on the left side of the division sign, is the numerator. Whatever is on the right side, the denominator. Work it out from there.

Edit:
Get it

Wrong though. The 2 isn't attached to the (9+3). If the 9+3 didn't need to be performed first, the problem would read, 48/2*12. If it was meant to be in the denominator it would read 48/(2*12). But it isn't. That's not how you write out this equation, it is 48 all over 2. Times (9+3). Separate.

The answer is 288.

It isn't part of the parenthetical phrase. The parenthetical phrase is its own entity. If it was (2(9+3)) then you would be correct in that it MUST be performed (2*12) before division can occur with the 48 and this phrase.

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

if so, i don't see your argument.

your answer is only true if 2(9+3) were (2(9+3), which it IS NOT in the original equation.

-waystinthyme

how about just doing the problem as it's written?

when i saw 48, i didn't 'imply' it was 96(1/2)...when i see 64, i don't imply it's 8^2, etc.

i looked at the problem and solved it as written. why can't you do the same?

-waystinthyme

Again, I didn't have to add anything 
laugh.gif
 It's all there. If you can't see beyond the simplified forms of math equations, that is not anybody's issue but yours. It's all there in the original equation. 2(9+3) is and always will be the same as (2 * 1(9 + 3)). It's just extended.

Where as the only way for the answer to be 288 is to assume that 48 / 2 is (48 / 2).

If anything, you guys are the ones making things up 
laugh.gif

doesn't 48÷2 = 48
                           ------ ?

if so, i don't see your argument.

your answer is only true if 2(9+3) were (2(9+3), which it IS NOT in the original equation.

-waystinthyme

how about just doing the problem as it's written?

when i saw 48, i didn't 'imply' it was 96(1/2)...when i see 64, i don't imply it's 8^2, etc.

i looked at the problem and solved it as written. why can't you do the same?

-waystinthyme

Again, I didn't have to add anything 
laugh.gif
 It's all there. If you can't see beyond the simplified forms of math equations, that is not anybody's issue but yours. It's all there in the original equation. 2(9+3) is and always will be the same as (2 * 1(9 + 3)). It's just extended.

Where as the only way for the answer to be 288 is to assume that 48 / 2 is (48 / 2).

If anything, you guys are the ones making things up 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

BUT, 288 doesn't even check, tho, so how could it possibly be the right answer?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What is this I don't even 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Cmon NT did you really just make me quote myself?
laugh.gif

yes, because you're wrong.

Spoiler [+]
48÷2(9+3) = 288

48÷2(12) = 288 --- divide both sides by 12

48÷2 = 288/12

24 = 24

please tell me again how this problem does not 'check'...

-waystinthyme

The substitution method guy. Put an X in there for any # and set it equal to 288
sick.gif

BUT, 288 doesn't even check, tho, so how could it possibly be the right answer?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What is this I don't even 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Cmon NT did you really just make me quote myself?
laugh.gif

yes, because you're wrong.

Spoiler [+]
48÷2(9+3) = 288

48÷2(12) = 288 --- divide both sides by 12

48÷2 = 288/12

24 = 24

please tell me again how this problem does not 'check'...

-waystinthyme

The substitution method guy. Put an X in there for any # and set it equal to 288
sick.gif

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by BLADE BR0WN

Apocalypz wrote:

Once again, with the way question is written, the answer is two.

R4y7j.png

This is not the way the question is written tho, that's the problem...

Yes is it!!!
Exactly.

I thought we had too many Asians on NT....maybe not, after seeing this thread.
laugh.gif

R4y7j.png

Edit:

Get it

If everything on the right were the denominator then it would be written 48/(2(9+3))

With that being said, my vote goes to 288

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by BLADE BR0WN

Apocalypz wrote:

Once again, with the way question is written, the answer is two.

R4y7j.png

This is not the way the question is written tho, that's the problem...

Yes is it!!!
Exactly.

I thought we had too many Asians on NT....maybe not, after seeing this thread.
laugh.gif

R4y7j.png

Edit:

Get it

If everything on the right were the denominator then it would be written 48/(2(9+3))

With that being said, my vote goes to 288

Back
Top Bottom