48÷2(9+3) = ???

notice that since the beginning of the thread...

people have converted from the 2 crowd to the 288 crowd, but NO ONE has converted from the 288 crowd to the 2 crowd.

strange, huh?

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

Where's the distributive property, though?

THERE ARE NO VARIABLES.
You don't use the damn distributive property.
I repeat, YOU DON'T USE THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Look people, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 48÷2(9+3) = AND (48÷2)(9+3) =  So NO, This question is NOT POORLY WRITTEN. IT IS A SIMPLE QUESTION.

AND FOR THE RECORD (48÷2)(9+3) = 288 BUT THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION

The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 2.
You're right. It is simple, and it isn't poorly written, but your math is wrong.
The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 288.
÷2(12) due to the Parentheses in the order of operations.
24(12) which is the same as 24*12 due to the Division in the order of operations.
24*12 = 288 due to the Multiplication in the order of operations.

Originally Posted by I3

B. E. D. M. A. S. which is: brackets, exponents, division & mutiplication, addition & subtraction.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24
So why did you do Multiplication before Division then? They are of the same importance. Just whichever appears first.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]

The answer to
[h3]48÷2(9+3)[/h3]is indeed 288:

48 ÷ 2 (9+3) = 48 ÷ 2 x 12
So all I have to do in math class is put a space between the digit and the parentheses, arbitrarily remove the parentheses, add a multiplication symbol, and I can have a completely different answer than everyone else?
Yes you remove the parentheses after you complete the action within them, that was the priority indicated by the parentheses.
The 2 being placed next to the parentheses indicates multiplication, it is redundant to say 2x(9+3) or 2*(9+3). It is multiplication and can be used after the action is completed. The spaces between digits don't matter. So yes you can do all that, and have the correct answer.

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

people have converted from the 2 crowd to the 288 crowd, but NO ONE has converted from the 288 crowd to the 2 crowd.

strange, huh?

-waystinthyme
Man, ain't nobody convert nothing.  That was one dude who thought he had an epiphany. 

B. E. D. M. A. S. which is: brackets, exponents, division & mutiplication, addition & subtraction.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24

The answer to

So all I have to do in math class is put a space between the digit and the parentheses, arbitrarily remove the parentheses, add a multiplication symbol, and I can have a completely different answer than everyone else?

strange, huh?

-waystinthyme
And what does that prove? That gullible isn't a word in the dictionary?

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

THERE ARE NO VARIABLES.
You don't use the damn distributive property.
I repeat, YOU DON'T USE THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Look people, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 48÷2(9+3) = AND (48÷2)(9+3) =  So NO, This question is NOT POORLY WRITTEN. IT IS A SIMPLE QUESTION.

AND FOR THE RECORD (48÷2)(9+3) = 288 BUT THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION

The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 2.
You're right. It is simple, and it isn't poorly written, but your math is wrong.
The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 288.
÷2(12) due to the Parentheses in the order of operations.
24(12) which is the same as 24*12 due to the Division in the order of operations.
24*12 = 288 due to the Multiplication in the order of operations.

Originally Posted by I3

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24
So why did you do Multiplication before Division then? They are of the same importance. Just whichever appears first.

The answer to

Yes you remove the parentheses after you complete the action within them, that was the priority indicated by the parentheses.
The 2 being placed next to the parentheses indicates multiplication, it is redundant to say 2x(9+3) or 2*(9+3). It is multiplication and can be used after the action is completed. The spaces between digits don't matter. So yes you can do all that, and have the correct answer.

strange, huh?

-waystinthyme
And what does that prove? That gullible isn't a word in the dictionary?

strange, huh?

-waystinthyme
Man, ain't nobody convert nothing.  That was one dude who thought he had an epiphany. 

The answer to

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

You need to tackle the parentheticl problem FIRST, which is 9+3.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

PEMDAS...P comes before Multiplication.

BODMAS...B (which stands for bracket) comes before Multiplication.

You can't just bypass the rules.

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

The answer to

you do realize you're 'adding a multiplication symbol' in either scenario, right?

in order to get from 2(12) to 24, you have to 'add a multiplication symbol'...correct?

-waystinthyme

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written

The answer to

you do realize you're 'adding a multiplication symbol' in either scenario, right?

in order to get from 2(12) to 24, you have to 'add a multiplication symbol'...correct?

-waystinthyme

Why the hell is everyone so confused by this? The answer is CLEARLY 288.
You do the parentheses first, so 9+3=12.
Which leaves you with 48÷2*12
Then you go from left to right.
48÷2=24.
24*12=288.
THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.

Why the hell is everyone so confused by this? The answer is CLEARLY 288.
You do the parentheses first, so 9+3=12.
Which leaves you with 48÷2*12
Then you go from left to right.
48÷2=24.
24*12=288.
THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

The way you're doing it the parentheses are still there by the time you start dividing. Just because you've solved what's in the parentheses doesn't mean it goes away. If there's a number attached to it, you have to distribute. It's not multiplication....it's distribution. If you can't differentiate the two, then it's no point arguing.

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

The way you're doing it the parentheses are still there by the time you start dividing. Just because you've solved what's in the parentheses doesn't mean it goes away. If there's a number attached to it, you have to distribute. It's not multiplication....it's distribution. If you can't differentiate the two, then it's no point arguing.

Back
Top Bottom