48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

Where's the distributive property, though?

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

You need to tackle the parentheticl problem FIRST, which is 9+3.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

PEMDAS...P comes before Multiplication.

BODMAS...B (which stands for bracket) comes before Multiplication.

You can't just bypass the rules.

How does it go against the order of operations if that's how you take care of the parenthesis. The multiplication required to dissolve the parenthesis overrides the order of operations because it is a part of the parenthetical.

Your roommate is wrong. The answer is 2 (or 8.66667).
oh really? so you ignore the order of operations when you feel like it, but follow it at all other times? cool.

-waystinthyme

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

I know this is right. That 2 applies to the brackets. This is correct 100%. you must do the multiplication, then the addition. BEDMAS. = Brackets, Exponents, Divide, Multiply,Add, Subtract.

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Do you automatically group 2(9+3) ? Like (2(9+3))???

Yes. The question is not poorly written, some of you are just trying to create new math.

no, it is very poorly written. its unclear whether the problem reads
yes, im quoting myself in hopes of ending this thread. if it's meant to be the problem on the left, the answer is 2. if it's the problem on the right, the answer is 288

That's not how math works, though. Unless negatives are involved, you can't just have two solutions.

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

Where's the distributive property, though?

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

You need to tackle the parentheticl problem FIRST, which is 9+3.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

PEMDAS...P comes before Multiplication.

BODMAS...B (which stands for bracket) comes before Multiplication.

You can't just bypass the rules.

How does it go against the order of operations if that's how you take care of the parenthesis. The multiplication required to dissolve the parenthesis overrides the order of operations because it is a part of the parenthetical.

Your roommate is wrong. The answer is 2 (or 8.66667).
oh really? so you ignore the order of operations when you feel like it, but follow it at all other times? cool.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Why the hell is everyone so confused by this? The answer is CLEARLY 288.
You do the parentheses first, so 9+3=12.
Which leaves you with 48÷2*12
Then you go from left to right.
48÷2=24.
24*12=288.
THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.
Nah, the 2 is attached to the parenthesis, like an exponent.  You can't take away the 2.
it is not an exponent, and it is not attached to the parentheses other than to indicate multiplication.

Originally Posted by i3

Yes you are correct.  I forget Mrs. Deveraux taught me going from left to right. So the answer is 288.

So does that mean if subtraction is ahead of addition, the left to right rule remains?
YES. Addition and Subtraction are of the same importance. So in the problem 31+8...you just go left to write. Same with 48÷2*12. It is just left to right. 

Originally Posted by Rocky437

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

I know this is right. That 2 applies to the brackets. This is correct 100%. you must do the multiplication, then the addition. BEDMAS. = Brackets, Exponents, Divide, Multiply,Add, Subtract.
Get those brackets out of here. The NCAA tourney been over.
laugh.gif

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

laugh.gif

yes, im quoting myself in hopes of ending this thread. if it's meant to be the problem on the left, the answer is 2. if it's the problem on the right, the answer is 288

That's not how math works, though. Unless negatives are involved, you can't just have two solutions.

i never said it was two problems. i said it's unclear as to which of those two the original author of this problem intended because its typed up. if you write it out, its 1 of the 2 i wrote, we would just have to ask the original author which one he intended for it to be

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

You can't just throw brackets in there homie.
They aren't there to begin with, nor are they needed. You are 100% wrong.
In the case of BEDMAS, Parentheses are the most important when brackets are not involved. Therefore you do the action within the parentheses 9+3 = 12. Then you do Division, and Multiplication going left to right.

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

You can't just throw brackets in there homie.
They aren't there to begin with, nor are they needed. You are 100% wrong.
In the case of BEDMAS, Parentheses are the most important when brackets are not involved. Therefore you do the action within the parentheses 9+3 = 12. Then you do Division, and Multiplication going left to right.

Yes. The question is not poorly written, some of you are just trying to create new math.

No one said those are two solutions, those are two completely different problems.

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

No one said those are two solutions, those are two completely different problems.

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i never said it was two problems. i said it's unclear as to which of those two the original author of this problem intended because its typed up. if you write it out, its 1 of the 2 i wrote, we would just have to ask the original author which one he intended for it to be

48 / 2(9 + 3) = 48 / (2 * 1(9 + 3))

One of you 288's tell me, if the above equation is true, would you be able to accept that 2 is the answer?

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

laugh.gif

I remember in grade 10 my teacher always threw those in. it makes it more clear. if you had math knowledge you would understand.

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

laugh.gif

I remember in grade 10 my teacher always threw those in. it makes it more clear. if you had math knowledge you would understand.

48 / 2(9 + 3) = 48 / (2 * 1(9 + 3))

One of you 288's tell me, if the above equation is true, would you be able to accept that 2 is the answer?

Just had my math professor next door do this. Everything within and attached to the () are done first.
So its 2(9 plus 3)
2(12) equals 24
48 divided by 12 equals 2.

He said people think you do the 9 plus 3 and then read left to right but that's incorrect.

Just had my math professor next door do this. Everything within and attached to the () are done first.
So its 2(9 plus 3)
2(12) equals 24
48 divided by 12 equals 2.

He said people think you do the 9 plus 3 and then read left to right but that's incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom