40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

i know a chick who left a dude making 200k because he never had time for her

Depends. I'm quite happy with my job now and my yearly salary is 48k. It's not much, but it's enough to cover my rent and any other expenses for living.

My previous position was horrible and I absolutely hated it. It was a really small firm and my manager loved to micro-manage and would scream at employees in public. It was my first gig so I stuck around for 2 years just to get my foot in the door. We got in touch recently and he offered me 75k to go back. Not quite 100k, but I think I would turn it down even if he offered 100.

100k job isn't what it used to be.

It's like the new 75k job. Both pre-tax.

this
in the bay area, that isnt gonna get you too far

they expect you to work long hrs for that "six figs"
break that down hourly, it may not be worth it if you putting in 60hrs/wknds

i know a chick who left a dude making 200k because he never had time for her

my buddy makes good money, but he has to travel all the time for work. he'll be in town for a day and catch a plane to another city. barely stays in his own apt. probably less than two wks a month. he looks worn out and miserable everytime i do see him. his gf had enough

Last edited:
I don't blame them cause they rake doing that

I get that, my point is they have all the money they need (want I guess), but they are miserable. I know this isn't always the case

My opinion is hospitals are straight up stressful ....

And to be honest I think it's cause there's too much estrogen flowing

Women here bicker about the dumbest ****

I don't blame them cause they rake doing that
I get that, my point is they have all the money they need (want I guess), but they are miserable. I know this isn't always the case

Hospitals are stressful to work in for a million different reasons, and that's definitely one of them.  I thought my job before nursing was bad, but at least those dudes had the decency to say how they felt to my face.  The women I work with now will do just about everything else (silent treatment, passive-aggressive refusal to help, checking your work for mistakes, snitching, rumor-spreading, etc.) in order to get back at someone.  Head games for days.

I know a job can never make me rich or give me the life i want , so i always use job money to flip

I would take the 100k gig and do 1-2 years , live like a college student and save about 40k or more and then quit and use the money to start various hustles/businesses.

All this do what you love talk is BS , their is no love in working for someone else and its sad few people realize that

I know a job can never make me rich or give me the life i want , so i always use job money to flip

I would take the 100k gig and do 1-2 years , live like a college student and save about 40k or more and then quit and use the money to start various hustles/businesses.

All this do what you love talk is BS , there is no love in working for someone else and its sad few people realize that

Rep this man.

Last edited:
^^^

The flip side of that though is if you do what you love the odds of you eventually working for yourself are that much higher :smokin

i mean look at the situation. bunch of "independent" "goal oriented" (fill in any other beyonce saying) that are only getting older and dont have a man yet. they work with all females so the work place isnt helping them but theyre there all the time. they claim theyre just fine but we all know the truth. of course theyre constantly pissed off.
roll.gif

Last edited:
illphillip illphillip Two roads leading to the same destination: being your own boss. Black folks and people in general, need to do more of that.

It's a trip how there are "no jobs" but people are still spending money. And I get that it's a buyers market out there for employers, because damn near everyone is overqualified and underexperienced, but what's stopping people from carving their own lane?

Corporate America ain't for me. I tried. Just couldn't do it. I started investing in myself and no matter how slow things start, I'm determined.

Last edited:
Two roads leading to the same destination: being your own boss. People in general, need to do more of that.
I'm not saying the opportunity isn't there, but being your own boss requires organization, a high level of self-sufficiency, and creativity. Three aspects many people don't have or realize before self-actualization.

illphillip illphillip Two roads leading to the same destination: being your own boss.

There really is no right answer here. It's an individual decision. Like you said, my response was more the other side of the same coin. Or the other road.

But in my experience, if you want to be your own boss, it will usually be in a field you enjoy working in.

And you need SOME firsthand working experience in that field to be your own boss.

Hence my belief that 40k in a field you like is the way.

Learn the ropes. Build the relationships. Work your way up. Get so good other companies come for you. Then eventually you're so good you can go do your own thing.

^^^

The flip side of that though is if you do what you love the odds of you eventually working for yourself are that much higher :smokin

I have never met anyone who likes working 40 hours a week and getting paid a small amount of money

Most of what people like to do those not involve jobs

Last edited:
^^^

I have never met anyone who likes working 40 hours a week and getting paid a small amount of money

You think people who make 100k+ work "40 hours a week"?

Think again :lol:

A lot of y'all are wild short sighted. Am I the only one that looks at 40k as temporary? Y'all don't get raises/promotions?

****, the 100k is temporary too.

Last edited:

A lot of y'all are wild short sighted. Am I the only one that looks at 40k as temporary? Y'all don't get raises/promotions?

Bro the point i am making is , most people don't like working at jobs , no matter the salary because jobs take away freedom.

Bro the point i am making is , most people don't like working at jobs , no matter the salary because jobs take away freedom.

But one of the options in the hypothetical is that you DO like your job.

I love my job. I actually know a good amount of people that do as well. Many of whom have now earned their "freedom", so to speak.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the opportunity isn't there, but being your own boss requires organization, a high level of self-sufficiency, and creativity. Three aspects many people don't have or realize before self-actualization.

There really is no right answer here. It's an individual decision. Like you said, my response was more the other side of the same coin. Or the other road.

But in my experience, if you want to be your own boss, it will usually be in a field you enjoy working in.

And you need SOME firsthand working experience in that field to be your own boss.

Hence my belief that 40k in a field you like is the way.

Learn the ropes. Build the relationships. Work your way up. Get so good other companies come for you. Then eventually you're so good you can go do your own thing.

Both of you are right.

I'm pursuing something I've always loved and have done professionally.

Last edited:
Honestly if I was young and starting off, I'd definitely take the 40K job. I mean this isn't permanent where you stay at 40K forever. Hopefully there are raises and what not cause if it is a job you love, getting more money will come easier. Since I am older now, that scenario just doesn't cut it and I'd probably take the 100K job. But remember, a 100K job is only as good as you stay there. A girl I know just got a 90K job but hates doing what she has to do. I bet she will only last a year or two tops.
When I first started my career, I wanted to grind my way up since I thought it was the only feasible route to afford a decent lifestyle (and was foolishly enough to go through enough school for 2 master's degrees). I actually just took a small paycut, increased my commute for a job that I somewhat enjoy doing. I have concluded that corporate America isn't meant for me after 5 years in due to that last stint at a global biotech firm.

$100K in 2015 is NOTHING to write home about. In the '70s, sure. If you are single and claim 0, that $100k translates to roughly a little over $5k a month (excluding small factors like how much you contribute to your savings, your insurance, etc). If you live in a big city (IE San Francisco, LA, NYC) where rent is $1500+ a month, you are just living slightly above comfortable.

With that said, I would easily choose the former, and find a way to grind into doing what I love and make that profitable. Trust that if you are making $100k a year, chances are you've become a salary slave putting in more than 40 hours a week. This is why dudes fall into perils of abusive behaviors, be it alcohol or drugs. If you are at the $40k mark, chances are you're only doing 40 hours a week, giving you time to pursue something else.

Ironically enough, the 4 guys I know who are the most successful at life (commanding 8 figure incomes) are high school grads/college dropouts that just hustled until they made it. Yes, they are rare, but they are inspirational to me. I wish I can go back 10 years to when I was 19 again and redo some things.

I love my job. I actually know a good amount of people that do as well. Many of whom have now earned their "freedom", so to speak.

You make 50k a year while you help make the owner 50k a month , If your not working on your own business your being taken advantage of and used.

Its going to take you years to "earn" your freedom while is takes the owner 1-2 years. I am not saying its impossible to like your job but in most cases people don't and even if they do they never make enough money to truly be happy or free .

Last edited:
100-40=60

Yall really dont want ur pockets 60 grand heavier? Have yall taken a math class??

Both jobs will most likely have the same opportunity cost

You make 50k a year while you help make the owner 50k a month , If your not working on your own business your being taken advantage of and used.

Its going to take you years to "earn" your freedom while is takes the owner 1-2 years. I am not saying its impossible to like your job but in most cases people don't and even if they do they never make enough money to truly be happy.

Welcome to the real world.

Sure, it took years to earn my freedom. Things take time. Mastering your craft tends to.

Don't really understand your comment about the owner. "takes the owner 1-2 years". It took the owner of the company I used to work for a hell of a lot longer than that to get to where he did. Interning. Assisting. Working for someone. But he eventually became the owner of his own company and a multimillionaire.

But hey, if you can fast track it, more power to you. I just hope you speak from some practical experience and not just idealism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom