40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

Probably nurses working a full time job and prn somewhere else. That's a choice they made

Naw, they work 12-14 hr shifts at night and during the day just sleep. Sometimes they just stay at the hospital. Horrible lifestyle if you ask me. Living to work sucks

Naw, they work 12-14 hr shifts at night and during the day just sleep. Sometimes they just stay at the hospital. Horrible lifestyle if you ask me. Living to work sucks
yeah but at night they don't even care for their patients. Just sit at their desk and talk. Never once did the night shift come by and check on either my dad or Grandpa... Day shift at least 2 an hr

100k job isn't what it used to be.

It's like the new 75k job. Both pre-tax.

aint that the truth. im still driving my almost 15 yr old toyota truck that i hope lasts me another 15 yrs because i dont even wanna think about having to take on a car payment.

im convinced that i will never retire. i will work until i drop dead in my office. my only hope and dream is that i can set it up so that my kids can one day retire.

It‘s sad when nurses are like that, especially when it comes to that type of stuff. I guess money can be a game changer.

I know a nurse as well. Her weekdays are her weekends and she works long 12 hour shifts some days but makes $130K since she is one of those nurses that primarily works with the ER. But she owns a $800K house in SF and drives a new car but she is pretty miserable even with all that and being single doesn't help. Flipside of that, I know a guy that works at a zoo making like $30K, interacts with animals all day, dates a young hot girl and lives at home and he thinks his life is pretty damn awesome. I guess it just depends on that person. I am still just trying to look for that happy medium.

Also, you guys seem to be painting the field of nursing with a VERY broad brush.  There are so many other options than working in direct care a hospital or nursing home.  You can do consulting for insurance companies, be an inservice coordinator for a healthcare facility (basically a nurse educator), you can work for a school, you can work as a nurse at an office for a corporation, you can be a travel nurse, you can be a home care nurse, you can recruit patients for a facility, you can be an RN Case Manager, you can be an MDS Coordinator...the list goes on and on.  

Last edited:
100k easy. Especially if I don't "hate" the job. I'll enjoy that extra 60k difference when I clock out and my days off...

All about doing it for my future family too, so I can't complain.

Last edited:
100k easy. Especially if I don't "hate" the job. I'll enjoy that extra 60k difference when I clock out and my days off...

All about doing it for my future family too, so I can't complain.
yeah that's true a lot of people who make a lot of money work long hours. Some people have the luxury of making money and still being able to enjoy great vacations. Depends on the company

40 easy

Life is too short to be spending 8,10 or 12 hrs everyday being miserable.

Last edited:
Probably nurses working a full time job and prn somewhere else. That's a choice they made

I work 7p-7a 3 nights a week...it's not bad at all unless you come in other nights doing OT or work another job which is what a lot of them do

I don't blame them cause they rake doing that

Last edited:
I know a nurse as well. Her weekdays are her weekends and she works long 12 hour shifts some days but makes $130K since she is one of those nurses that primarily works with the ER. But she owns a $800K house in SF and drives a new car but she is pretty miserable even with all that and being single doesn't help. Flipside of that, I know a guy that works at a zoo making like $30K, interacts with animals all day, dates a young hot girl and lives at home and he thinks his life is pretty damn awesome. I guess it just depends on that person. I am still just trying to look for that happy medium.

she hot? hook it up

I work 7p-7a 3 nights a week...it's not bad at all unless you come in other nights doing OT or work another job which is what a lot of them do

I don't blame them cause they rake doing that.
I currently work 8a-9p Friday through Sunday.  Would love to work 7p-8a though.  13 hour shifts are the truth.

We all know money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure as hell makes life easier and opens avenues and opportunities otherwise closed to the general population. I would easily select option B, knowing I have the mental fortitude to sacrifice a plethora of years in a less than ideal occupation to bank $100K annually. Depending on your savings plan, ten to fifteen years of "a job you don't like" could allow you to take the $40K salaried job or something else you like to do in the foreseeable future.

Ask LARRY SANDERS. ask ANDREW BYNUM.
Sanders has an addiction, and genuinely does not love basketball.

Drew made $24M off the Sixers, to not play.

I make somewhat good money. But feel like sometimes I want more.
I share your sentiment. Numbers aside, some Americans may brand us as "successful" but I have higher expectations than most. I'm all about advancement and progress, my goal is to make a million per year before turning 30. Ambitious, I know.

Then again, I would probably still work if I won the lottery. Unique mind.

For all my friends who complain about their jobs and I know make over $100k, not one of them would ever leave that, to go to a $40k job, myself included. That's just absurd.

Last edited:
For all my friends who complain about their jobs and I know make over $100k, not one of them would ever leave that, to go to a $40k job, myself included. That's just absurd.

I mean yeah, who would go back if they are making a 100K off the bat. Plus I am sure you would have invested in things like a house and what not and going to a 40K job won't cut paying the bills. This really applies to people that are starting off (I assume).

she hot? hook it up

I don't even know you yet I wouldn't even do that to you. Like a lot of people with power, they become super picky. She is not only unattractive but she feels because she makes money that she deserves hot looking guy that is a CEO of some sorts.

I mean yeah, who would go back if they are making a 100K off the bat. Plus I am sure you would have invested in things like a house and what not and going to a 40K job won't cut paying the bills. This really applies to people that are starting off (I assume).

oh ok, I just read the op's first post, didn't know there were extra specifics :lol:

I don't even know you yet I wouldn't even do that to you. Like a lot of people with power, they become super picky. She is not only unattractive but she feels because she makes money that she deserves hot looking guy that is a CEO of some sorts.

thats not nice of you to tease her.
shell hit up cow boys for angels soon. nick manning time

marck suckerberg looks ugly, so does his wife. but they both love each other. their babies will look like leah dizon n rola tak.

I was happier at $41k than I am at $100k. I don't even have a ton of financial obligations (no car payment, rent is $550/mo, low student loan debt). That being said, accepting less than what I make now would be very difficult.

I'll survive until my gf is done with residency and I get her preggo. Stay at home dad, here I come.

Back
Top Bottom