24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Is that via requesting it yourself? I've gotten for CLI for my freedom. I just enter the code in my account and it bumps it up. No hard pull.
nerd.gif

I'm addicted to chasing sign up bonus/cash back deals.

Bank of Ameica's MLB card gives you $200 for spending $500 the first 90 days and you can get multiple cards for 1 pull.

Dudes in the slickdeals thread got 8 cards and $1600.

I'm addicted to chasing sign up bonus/cash back deals.

Bank of Ameica's MLB card gives you $200 for spending $500 the first 90 days and you can get multiple cards for 1 pull.

Dudes in the slickdeals thread got 8 cards and $1600.

Me too :lol:

I just got an IT card but I don't want to wait and use it for 11 more months. I want that $150 from chase :evil:

Me too :lol:

I just got an IT card but I don't want to wait and use it for 11 more months. I want that $150 from chase :evil:

Get it. Nothing's stopping you unless you're over the 5/24 limit. Just meet the spend requirement in the first 4 months or whatever then you can go back to using whatever card you want

I already tried and got rejected because of my credit length. Which is why I got the IT card :lol:

Anyone have amex platinum? I threw my offer away, but I should have consulted with the brethren here first...

Anyone have amex platinum? I threw my offer away, but I should have consulted with the brethren here first...

Solid card if you travel a lot. The $200 travel credit can be used to get gift cards from certain airlines. How much of a sign up bonus were they offering ?

I opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred card back in May and completely forgot to use it to get the 50k points. Is there anyway to still get those points? I feel like closing the card, if I can't :smh:.

I opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred card back in May and completely forgot to use it to get the 50k points. Is there anyway to still get those points? I feel like closing the card, if I can't :smh:.

How does this even happen? :rofl:

Nah I doubt you'd be able to get anything out of it. You can call retentions, tell them your situation and threaten to cancel the card, sometimes they offer some kind of bonus for not canceling

:lol: damn fam. Well if you can't get the points you can get the sapphire reserve later this month (I think that's when it's supposed to drop) and get the 100k points.

Just got my first credit card (had to lie but that's beside the point) quick question....everywhere I read it says pay your balance in full every month since that is best for your credit score....I understand how having a balance and having it on going for months looks but let me ask this...don't card companies want you to have a balance so interest can accrue and they actually make money off of you? and is it not more responsible of you paying a fixed amount every month which shows you are stable instead of paying off different amounts each month? just a couple questions I had.

Just got my first credit card (had to lie but that's beside the point) quick question....everywhere I read it says pay your balance in full every month since that is best for your credit score....I understand how having a balance and having it on going for months looks but let me ask this...don't card companies want you to have a balance so interest can accrue and they actually make money off of you? and is it not more responsible of you paying a fixed amount every month which shows you are stable instead of paying off different amounts each month? just a couple questions I had.
Why let the CC companies make interest off of you?

You wanna pay more than what you already charged to your card?

isn't that what the CC companies are in business for? we are using their money so there is a price to pay for that. I don't understand how they just lend money to people for free basically since some people have no yearly fees and such. I don't understand the credit card business completely just yet.

and no, not pay more than what I charge, I mean pay the minimum or a little more each month. from what I read anything other than paying in full each month can sometimes be detrimental to your credit score.

isn't that what the CC companies are in business for? we are using their money so there is a price to pay for that. I don't understand how they just lend money to people for free basically since some people have no yearly fees and such. I don't understand the credit card business completely just yet.

and no, not pay more than what I charge, I mean pay the minimum or a little more each month. from what I read anything other than paying in full each month can sometimes be detrimental to your credit score.
CC companies take a cut from every CC transaction. You think these stores/restaurants get to accept CCs and make revenue with no cost?

CC companies make even more money from people who do exactly like you're thinking now: paying the minimum every month and letting that high interest rate set in. Before you realize it, you'll be paying more in interest than the actual costs incurred.

I'm not trying to hold debt that I can actually pay off in full every month. Why would I pay more $$ than I already have to? People think CCs are free money until they realize how their spending made them lose even more $$ from interest. IDGAF what these CC companies want -- I'm not trying to take the L.

Last edited:
^ Yep. CC companies make money off of each swipe in addition to interest from those who don't pay off their balances. There's a reason why some shops have minimums for CC transactions.

The Chase Sapphire Reserve development site was active earlier today. Looks like they took it offline now. From what I seen, the leaked information from last week has been confirmed online there as well.

Am I charged Interest if my balance is not due? For instance if I owe 3,000 and my minimum due is 0.00, am I still charged interest on the 3000 on the due date?

Back
Top Bottom