24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

$450 annual fee :x

I don't travel but if I got that card I would make my friends take a nice trip :lol:

The annual travel credit is $300 bringing the fee down to $150.

edit : $300 .

Last edited:
They give you money to travel. If your flight is $375 and they give you a $300 credit, you essentially are only paying $50 dollars for your trip.

The relation with annual fee is the same. You pay them $450 annually, but they're essentially giving you back $300 annually in the form of airfare credit. So you basically paid them $150.

100K UR signup points bonus, $300 annual airline credit, 50% bonus for redeeming UR points via Chase.. yeah, I'm in

I plan to travel a lot over the next year so I might hop on that card once more details come out. That $1,500 in travel rewards would be legit. You can typically bring up to two guest in for lounge access correct?

Yea that Sapphire Reserve really is a no brainer. They're already giving you 100k points which is worth a MINIMUM of $1000.

Hopefully that travel credit includes flights like the Prestige and not just incidentals. The verbiage makes it sounds like it includes all forms of transportation and hotels.

Last edited:
Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Macy's have all closed my accounts without notice after over a year of inactivity.
how does this affect credit? since they say closing cards lowers it?

saphire card looks interesting. $450 annual fee 
sick.gif

Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Macy's have all closed my accounts without notice after over a year of inactivity.
how does this affect credit? since they say closing cards lowers it?

saphire card looks interesting. $450 annual fee :x

It hurts your credt. Synchrony Bank closed my wife's Walmart card right after we paid it off, sayin they pull her report and felt she had too much going on so they closed it :stoneface: She only found this out after checking Credit Karma and seeing a significant drop in her score. What makes it worse is that it was her oldest account

So it is better to use cards once a year at least then let them close out? I have 3 retail cards with $0 balance I never use.

Didn't Walmart change all their cards to actual credit cards?

They did that with mine late last year. Had a $1500 credit line for Walmart only then I guess they were switching all cards from what I saw and it was a MasterCard accepted everywhere and bumped me to $3500

so that account won't be closing

But I'm not trying to use my Macy's and target cards and setting up accounts to pay em

So it is better to use cards once a year at least then let them close out? I have 3 retail cards with $0 balance I never use.

Yea, if you know you're going to the place to buy something light, use the card and pay it off to keep it active. Thing is, Synchrony waited until my wife paid the card off, got the $0 balance and then closed it.

Yes, use them sparingly so it has activity on them.

I still hate that my girl closed her sunglasses hut account. It was her oldest account.

Other than her car payment that's under her name. She's got like 750 score with no cards minus that one that she opened to help someone, never used it and it stayed open for 4 years and she wouldn't listen to me to keep it open so she made me close it :smh:

100K UR signup points bonus, $300 annual airline credit, 50% bonus for redeeming UR points via Chase.. yeah, I'm in

Yea it's really no question I'm grabbing this card once I'm eligible. Don't know how people are scared of the $450 annual fee. If you take a flight(s) somewhere and get reimbursed $300 you really only pay $150 for the annual fee, then you still get 3x points from the $300 you were reimbursed for. No brainier. Probably going to get the card then product change my regular sapphire preffered to another chase card

^ Same. I'm gonna try to change my CSP to another Freedom if I can. Max out those 5% categories with 2 cards :pimp:

Prestige is gonna get PC'ed too once my annual fee comes up next year since they're nerfing it come July.

Last edited:
Freedom/freedom unlimited/sapphire reserve might be the best combo of cards for travel out honestly. 5% rotating categories 3% travel and dining and 1.5% everywhere else and a 50% bonus when redeeming through ultimate rewards sheesh

They give you money to travel. If your flight is $375 and they give you a $300 credit, you essentially are only paying $50 dollars for your trip.

The relation with annual fee is the same. You pay them $450 annually, but they're essentially giving you back $300 annually in the form of airfare credit. So you basically paid them $150.

What if you spend the 4K to get the bonus, pay it all off within the first 60 days and get the rewards and use it all before a year is up? Could you cancel the card before the annual fee is due.

^ I don't think the annual fee is waived for the 1st year like the CSP. You'll probably have to pay that 450 as soon as you get the card
Freedom/freedom unlimited/sapphire reserve might be the best combo of cards for travel out honestly. 5% rotating categories 3% travel and dining and 1.5% everywhere else and a 50% bonus when redeeming through ultimate rewards sheesh
Complete agree with this. If only Chase didn't hard pull for CLI's

What if you spend the 4K to get the bonus, pay it all off within the first 60 days and get the rewards and use it all before a year is up? Could you cancel the card before the annual fee is due.

Yea you can. Which is why chase has the 5/24 limit for their cards :lol:

^ I don't think the annual fee is waived for the 1st year like the CSP. You'll probably have to pay that 450 as soon as you get the card

Complete agree with this. If only Chase didn't hard pull for CLI's
Is that via requesting it yourself? I've gotten for CLI for my freedom. I just enter the code in my account and it bumps it up. No hard pull.

Best to get cards with travel credits after January, because you can get the travel credit twice within your first year.

It starts over on Jan 1 every year. So technically your first year you will get $600 in travel credit.

Back
Top Bottom