24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Excel spreadsheet. I keep track of everything I make and spend down to the penny.

It's more work for me to use Mint and make all the needed edits than to use my spreadsheet.

Last edited:
whats the best card for flights?

thinking about trying for the Delta Sky Miles AMEX since i will be buying a ticket to the Philippines in a couple weeks.

If you can meet the $4,000 spend in the first 3 months, chase sapphire reserve hands down the best card right now. 100k points sign up bonus if you meet the spend and the big airline credit it's a no brainier

whats the best card for flights?

thinking about trying for the Delta Sky Miles AMEX since i will be buying a ticket to the Philippines in a couple weeks.

If you can meet the $4,000 spend in the first 3 months, chase sapphire reserve hands down the best card right now. 100k points sign up bonus if you meet the spend and the big airline credit it's a no brainier

If you're looking for a specific airline CC, it depends on your home airport. Since you're in ATL, a Delta Amex would be a good choice.

Does AMEX do soft pulls or hard pulls for CLI? I have a blue card and have not requested a CLI in almost a year.

Same here, 10k limit 
pimp.gif

For my TPG/ NT Travel Bros....ya'll getting the Sapphire Reserved? Just got approved for mines instantly w/ $20,000 credit line 
nthat.gif

Those of you who can't apply for the chase sapphire reserve because of the 5/24 rule or just don't want to add another card/ account to your report. It's still a good idea to product change and upgrade any of your chase account to the CSR. Even though you won't get the big bonus, you still get an excellent card points wise with on going value (not just for the bonus then cancel). The $300 travel credit alone will knock down the AF to only about $150 a year.

I know I'm in the minority, but the bonus isn't a deal breaker for me, I'll still want the card even if I didn't get it. I wouldn't wanna blow the bonus points all on one big trip and then feel the card is now useless. I like to pick cards i would assume fits me for the long term. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Same. I'm right at 5/24 smh. Y'all boys got me jealous. Gotta wait another year till I'm clear

Some people are getting lucky when they apply in branch. The thing about waiting a year is that the sign up bonus might be gone by then.

Someone from Reddit finally got the physical reserve card.

They said mine would be expedited, so hopefully I can get it by Friday. I also seen comments of people being denied for getting the card expedited. Anyone that got approved yesterday receive tracking info?

Those of you who can't apply for the chase sapphire reserve because of the 5/24 rule or just don't want to add another card/ account to your report. It's still a good idea to product change and upgrade any of your chase account to the CSR. Even though you won't get the big bonus, you still get an excellent card points wise with on going value (not just for the bonus then cancel). The $300 travel credit alone will knock down the AF to only about $150 a year.

I know I'm in the minority, but the bonus isn't a deal breaker for me, I'll still want the card even if I didn't get it. I wouldn't wanna blow the bonus points all on one big trip and then feel the card is now useless. I like to pick cards i would assume fits me for the long term. Just my 2 cents.

I'm gonna just PC my regular sapphire to chase freedom unlimited when I'm out of the 5/24

Some people are getting lucky when they apply in branch. The thing about waiting a year is that the sign up bonus might be gone by then.

No chase branch near me :\ gonna pray that they keep that signup for a year. If not I'll just PC when it's time. Missing out on that 100k points would be awful though smh

Finished my minimum spend with the Prestige, got about $200 left on the CSP.

I'm at 4/24 right now, so I'm gonna sign up for both the Reserve and a Southwest CC same day to combine the pulls.

Looks like the Priority Pass that comes with the Reserve extends to guests. Too bad there's no PP lounges at my airport and very few in the US. Guess I'll just have to travel internationally now to take advantage.

Someone from Reddit finally got the physical reserve card.

They said mine would be expedited, so hopefully I can get it by Friday. I also seen comments of people being denied for getting the card expedited. Anyone that got approved yesterday receive tracking info?

Approved yesterday and want tracking already? lol.

My notification said card would arrive in 2 weeks...

Approved yesterday and want tracking already? lol.

My notification said card would arrive in 2 weeks...
Expedited cards usually arrive in 1-3 days tho. Looks like the people who are getting their cards today, applied through the leaked link last week. I read a comment that they sent a memo stating not to expedite any more cards due to the high demand. People that applied early in the day, may have their card by Thursday.

I applied late last night. I called Chase this morning to expedite and they said they'll make a note on it lol 

Getting it before LDW would be clutch

question, I know you build credit by making purchases with a credit card. but do you build credit faster by paying the bill instantly or just paying the minummm balance.

one last question. what if you was late to pay the bill once and then got the late fee waived and paid the remaing blance. would ur credit score be effected by the late payment or would they let that late payment slide  

question, I know you build credit by making purchases with a credit card. but do you build credit faster by paying the bill instantly or just paying the minummm balance.

one last question. what if you was late to pay the bill once and then got the late fee waived and paid the remaing blance. would ur credit score be effected by the late payment or would they let that late payment slide  

Some of the guys in here are way more knowledgeable than I am but I typically pay my balance in full (at a minimum keep my debt to credit utilization ratio under 25%). A late payment wont impact your credit score if its under 30 days late. However, you are subject to a fee and your APR might go up.

REPPED thank you SIR any places where I can check my credit score for free and not lower my credit score by checking it

Last edited:
I'm sorry lol but what's so good about this new chase sapphire joint? I'll go back a couple pages and catch up, but from the past couple posts it seems like this is the Black Card of Chase :lol:

I still have a bummy Chase Slate with a 2k limit. Could I upgrade to a sapphire reserve and still get the travel bonus and everything? I wanna be cool like y'all :lol:

And what's this 5/24 rule you guys speak of? :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom