2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, Charlie Hustle: Rest In Power, Willie. RIP, Pete.

ED200AC6-BE20-45AE-B8EF-47DD98F3C0E3.gif

It just seems as if the biggest argument for getting rid of him is "lets see if someone else can do better" or just a fresh start in general. Which I totally get to an extent.

basically. definition of insanity, yknow? 8 straight years and nothing to show for it. also all of these failures magnifies his shortcomings as a manager and we see all the little things that go wrong.

shortened season due to covid. dave will get a pass, right? who else can they get to run this team?

Honestly this stat is misleading, doubt there's too many pitchers with 100+ playoff innings, but funny nonetheless

Yea because if you have that era after so many innings, the manager isn’t going to have you pitch :rofl:

But again....what do you expect to do instead?

a) "Thank you Clayton for dominating the regular season again and helping us win a division title. We'll take it from here, bud." Not pitch him? He's an all time great! Can't do that.

b) Pitch him out of bullpen? He has the highest ERA in the 6th inning and beyond out of any pitcher in MLB history who has pitched 20+ innings. Cant do that.

c) use him as an opener? I guess. But whats the point?

d) Yank him after 5 innings regardless? I guess. But its hard to pull your ace when he is dealing through with no warning signs that a blowup is coming other than the scoreboard saying its not the 5th inning anymore. And its not as if the Dodgers pen has been lights out.

Roberts is in a tough spot. I dont envy him. He is damned if he does damned if he doesn't. Players have to perform.

But again....what do you expect to do instead?

a) "Thank you Clayton for dominating the regular season again and helping us win a division title. We'll take it from here, bud." Not pitch him? He's an all time great! Can't do that.

b) Pitch him out of bullpen? He has the highest ERA in the 6th inning and beyond out of any pitcher in MLB history who has pitched 20+ innings. Cant do that.

c) use him as an opener? I guess. But whats the point?

d) Yank him after 5 innings regardless? I guess. But its hard to pull your ace when he is dealing through with no warning signs that a blowup is coming other than the scoreboard saying its not the 5th inning anymore. And its not as if the Dodgers pen has been lights out.

Roberts is in a tough spot. I dont envy him. He is damned if he does damned if he doesn't. Players have to perform.

He gets a long leash because of his regular season dominance but in the playoffs he always gives up a big inning somewhere after 4+. At the first sign of trouble, get someone up. Dave always waits for when a run or two is in and theres two guys on base to do anything.

I doubt they fire him off a 60 game season if it’s a move they should make. But he should be on the hot seat next season assuming they don’t come back this series.

The players aren’t producing, but ultimately the manager usually ends up the fall guy in that situation. Even without all the Astros trash can nonsense, they should’ve won in 2017 though. Between blowing a save in game 2, and losing game 7 after a big rally in game 6, that’s all on them.

Game 7 of the World Series at home. Coming off beating Verlander in game 6. All the momentum on your side, facing average middle of the pack pitching and they laid an egg. Stranded a bunch of runners in the early innings too if I recall correctly.

If this thing goes beyond tomorrow, the Dodgers are the home team for games 6 and 7. Maybe they can have the coach the Falcons just fired to throw out the first pitch and bring some of that 28-3 magic with him.

Rays offense needs to show something. I know it's not their style but If they're legit then they need to finally finish this series in a dominant win. The barely scraping by, grinding out, type of wins ain't gonna get it done anymore

Back
Top Bottom